SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unc0mm0n1

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:56 am

liltay357 wrote:phuck SEO, they put me thru the trouble of putting on a suit jacket over my pajama bottoms for a skype interview twice just to quietly ding me.

whatev. I coulda used the $$$$ tho

sorry man.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 am

For the new class (JD 2015) you guys should really do this. I think they are already having information sessions. I know for sure they have one in the Boston Area coming up and I know of some other dates in other parts of the country. If you get it not only can you (possibly) sew up a 1L position in a firm, but you can actually see if corporate law is for you. Plus you get paid pretty good for the summer and they have various locations including NYC, Houston, San Fran, Palo Alto and D.C.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 pm

So SEO wants you to upload your law school essay on their application. I actually wrote about how I'm very interested in public interest law, but I definitely want to apply to this corporate law internship to see what it's like. Does anyone think this is going to decrease my chances of getting in or should I just write a different essay that isn't as public interest centered? Thanks.

EDIT: How important is this picture? Should I throw on a shirt and tie and get a picture done at CVS or something?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:52 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:So SEO wants you to upload your law school essay on their application. I actually wrote about how I'm very interested in public interest law, but I definitely want to apply to this corporate law internship to see what it's like. Does anyone think this is going to decrease my chances of getting in or should I just write a different essay that isn't as public interest centered? Thanks.

EDIT: How important is this picture? Should I throw on a shirt and tie and get a picture done at CVS or something?

We didn't have to do the essay thing last year, I don't think. But I think they do want people who are genuinely interested in corporate law. I know people who were dinged because it was obvious they had no desire to do corporate law and just wanted to make some quick cash before law school. And about the picture, c'mon man this is a job opportunity. Why not do as much as you can just to be sure. Putting on a shirt and tie is not that much work. It might not matter, but if it made you think about it, why even take a chance?
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcirdor01

Postby kcirdor01 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Has anyone else in the C/O 2015 applied to the program? I applied in late October; haven't heard anything back yet.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:11 pm

I received an invite and applied. Although I know due to the prestige whoreness of the program they won't take too kindly on my turning down UMich for UConn.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:18 pm

I received an invitation to their internship thing over the summer? Anyone else?

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:11 pm

I got an email about this program. It mentions only blacks, hispanics, and Native Americans. I'm guessing Asians have no business applying for this?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 pm

smokeylarue wrote:I got an email about this program. It mentions only blacks, hispanics, and Native Americans. I'm guessing Asians have no business applying for this?

there were quite a few Asians (and white people as well) last year.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:I got an email about this program. It mentions only blacks, hispanics, and Native Americans. I'm guessing Asians have no business applying for this?

there were quite a few Asians (and white people as well) last year.

Yeah. If you got an email, you should apply. A good number of Asians were a part of my class and there were quite a few people who would be considered white in other circles. It can never hurt to apply.

By the way, good luck to everyone.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 am

Got some mail from them, so I'm going to be sending out an application. I'm probably reading too much into the application, but it says that the 2000 character essay is required for all applicants except for Corporate Law (and some other field). When I read that, I read it as: "you can still fill it out if you like". If that is the case, is it recommended to?

Also, how accurate does the high school information have to be? I can give very good estimates of GPA/class rank, but they are probably slightly off.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:24 am

So is the general consensus that unless I do end up depositing at Michigan, I have no business with applying? I mean, I am probably going to end up at UConn as a Connecticut Scholar but the general feel of this thread seems to suggest they only take T10.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:55 am

JoeMo wrote:So is the general consensus that unless I do end up depositing at Michigan, I have no business with applying? I mean, I am probably going to end up at UConn as a Connecticut Scholar but the general feel of this thread seems to suggest they only take T10.

While that may be the feel of the thread I know two people from last year class went to schools out side the top 20 (one school in the same ranking area as UConn). Now that is 2 out of 80 but still there is a chance. Why not try? I mean its free right?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:So is the general consensus that unless I do end up depositing at Michigan, I have no business with applying? I mean, I am probably going to end up at UConn as a Connecticut Scholar but the general feel of this thread seems to suggest they only take T10.

While that may be the feel of the thread I know two people from last year class went to schools out side the top 20 (one school in the same ranking area as UConn). Now that is 2 out of 80 but still there is a chance. Why not try? I mean its free right?

Great! Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try and see if it sticks.

Good luck everyone! This would be sweet for 0L summer.

djkrish

Postby djkrish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 am

so I just applied to this thing but just read that its a rolling admission and people could have applied as early as november... did i just waste wayy to much time trying to look up old act, sat scores lol

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 am

I guess I'm SEO stupid but anyone know where I can find some information on the type of candidates they take, the size of the applicant pool, etc...?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm

JoeMo wrote:I guess I'm SEO stupid but anyone know where I can find some information on the type of candidates they take, the size of the applicant pool, etc...?

They have general information on the SEO website. But I'm not sure they have the size of the applicant pool. You should apply either way. It's a great program.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 pm

I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.
In the spring he posted that SEO wanted him to tell everyone on the boards that if they had not received an answer up to that point, it meant they were not accepted into the program. TLS participants were upset about getting a rejection on a message board and the post was quickly removed. I doubt very much that SEO would have told a participant to post such a thing. Therefore, I think the only possible answer is that unc0mm0n1 actually works at SEO. Now he/she is on here hyping the program.

This is my opinion...unc0mm0n1, do you actually work at SEO? CAn you fess up with an honest answer?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:49 pm

masterthearts wrote:I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.
In the spring he posted that SEO wanted him to tell everyone on the boards that if they had not received an answer up to that point, it meant they were not accepted into the program. TLS participants were upset about getting a rejection on a message board and the post was quickly removed. I doubt very much that SEO would have told a participant to post such a thing. Therefore, I think the only possible answer is that unc0mm0n1 actually works at SEO. Now he/she is on here hyping the program.

This is my opinion...unc0mm0n1, do you actually work at SEO? CAn you fess up with an honest answer?

Nah... what could they get out of doing that? Everyone here seems to think that SEO is a great opportunity already.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

JoeMo wrote:
masterthearts wrote:I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.

Nah... what could they get out of doing that? Everyone here seems to think that SEO is a great opportunity already.

This. Plus, there is no way an SEO employee would have racked up 1100 posts. They are definitely lurking and watching this thread, but they don't have an account with that many posts. That's silly to say.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm

haha, ask the other people who did SEO last year. I was an SEO corporate law intern last year. Also why would I post in the 1L waiting thread or ask Harvard students thread if I wasn't a 1L. I just think the program is great and if we can get more minorities into corporate law I think it's a win for everyone. Are there things in the program that I think should change? Of course, but overall I think the program was an awesome experience for me and I just wanted to tell other people about it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
haha, ask the other people who did SEO last year. I was an SEO corporate law intern last year. Also why would I post in the 1L waiting thread or ask Harvard students thread if I wasn't a 1L. I just think the program is great and if we can get more minorities into corporate law I think it's a win for everyone. Are there things in the program that I think should change? Of course, but overall I think the program was an awesome experience for me and I just wanted to tell other people about it.

Hey man doing your good work? :)

Do many SEO alums offered 1L SA positions?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Hey man doing your good work? :)

Do many SEO alums offered 1L SA positions?

I'd say it is a 50/50 crap shoot. Some of my friends got them but my particular firm doesn't even have a 1L class so I did not get an offer. It would be nice to not have to worry about anything but I'm actually looking forward to working some place else this summer and I think I have a great shot at my going back to my SEO firm during my 2L summer.

JDcand

Postby JDcand » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 am

If anyone gets accepted this year, please post a note. I'm trying to gauge when SEO starts accepting applicants, if they haven't started already. Last year's thread indicates some applicants didn't hear back until April, but it's unclear the earliest you may get a response. A general timeline of when you applied, interviewed, and gained acceptance would be helpful as well. Best of luck!

JDcand

Postby JDcand » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am

trudat15 wrote:
booby87 wrote:Has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?

Wondering the same thing. Sent in awhile ago, but havent heard anything.

Applied shortly before the Dec. 1 deadline and received interview invite in mid-Dec. Just FYI as far as timeline goes. I don't know the criteria they're using, but it seems the timeline varies from person to person.

Return to “Legal Employment”