SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kcirdor01

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby kcirdor01 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Has anyone else in the C/O 2015 applied to the program? I applied in late October; haven't heard anything back yet.

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:11 pm

I received an invite and applied. Although I know due to the prestige whoreness of the program they won't take too kindly on my turning down UMich for UConn.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject

Silver
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:18 pm

I received an invitation to their internship thing over the summer? Anyone else?

User avatar
smokeylarue

Silver
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:11 pm

I got an email about this program. It mentions only blacks, hispanics, and Native Americans. I'm guessing Asians have no business applying for this?

User avatar
unc0mm0n1

Gold
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 pm

smokeylarue wrote:I got an email about this program. It mentions only blacks, hispanics, and Native Americans. I'm guessing Asians have no business applying for this?


there were quite a few Asians (and white people as well) last year.

User avatar
Rand M.

Silver
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Rand M. » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:I got an email about this program. It mentions only blacks, hispanics, and Native Americans. I'm guessing Asians have no business applying for this?


there were quite a few Asians (and white people as well) last year.


Yeah. If you got an email, you should apply. A good number of Asians were a part of my class and there were quite a few people who would be considered white in other circles. It can never hurt to apply.

By the way, good luck to everyone.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce

Silver
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 am

Got some mail from them, so I'm going to be sending out an application. I'm probably reading too much into the application, but it says that the 2000 character essay is required for all applicants except for Corporate Law (and some other field). When I read that, I read it as: "you can still fill it out if you like". If that is the case, is it recommended to?

Also, how accurate does the high school information have to be? I can give very good estimates of GPA/class rank, but they are probably slightly off.

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:24 am

So is the general consensus that unless I do end up depositing at Michigan, I have no business with applying? I mean, I am probably going to end up at UConn as a Connecticut Scholar but the general feel of this thread seems to suggest they only take T10.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1

Gold
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:55 am

JoeMo wrote:So is the general consensus that unless I do end up depositing at Michigan, I have no business with applying? I mean, I am probably going to end up at UConn as a Connecticut Scholar but the general feel of this thread seems to suggest they only take T10.


While that may be the feel of the thread I know two people from last year class went to schools out side the top 20 (one school in the same ranking area as UConn). Now that is 2 out of 80 but still there is a chance. Why not try? I mean its free right?

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:So is the general consensus that unless I do end up depositing at Michigan, I have no business with applying? I mean, I am probably going to end up at UConn as a Connecticut Scholar but the general feel of this thread seems to suggest they only take T10.


While that may be the feel of the thread I know two people from last year class went to schools out side the top 20 (one school in the same ranking area as UConn). Now that is 2 out of 80 but still there is a chance. Why not try? I mean its free right?


Great! Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try and see if it sticks.

Good luck everyone! This would be sweet for 0L summer.

djkrish

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby djkrish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 am

so I just applied to this thing but just read that its a rolling admission and people could have applied as early as november... did i just waste wayy to much time trying to look up old act, sat scores lol

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 am

I guess I'm SEO stupid but anyone know where I can find some information on the type of candidates they take, the size of the applicant pool, etc...?

User avatar
unc0mm0n1

Gold
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm

JoeMo wrote:I guess I'm SEO stupid but anyone know where I can find some information on the type of candidates they take, the size of the applicant pool, etc...?


They have general information on the SEO website. But I'm not sure they have the size of the applicant pool. You should apply either way. It's a great program.

masterthearts

Bronze
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby masterthearts » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 pm

I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.
In the spring he posted that SEO wanted him to tell everyone on the boards that if they had not received an answer up to that point, it meant they were not accepted into the program. TLS participants were upset about getting a rejection on a message board and the post was quickly removed. I doubt very much that SEO would have told a participant to post such a thing. Therefore, I think the only possible answer is that unc0mm0n1 actually works at SEO. Now he/she is on here hyping the program.

This is my opinion...unc0mm0n1, do you actually work at SEO? CAn you fess up with an honest answer?

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:49 pm

masterthearts wrote:I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.
In the spring he posted that SEO wanted him to tell everyone on the boards that if they had not received an answer up to that point, it meant they were not accepted into the program. TLS participants were upset about getting a rejection on a message board and the post was quickly removed. I doubt very much that SEO would have told a participant to post such a thing. Therefore, I think the only possible answer is that unc0mm0n1 actually works at SEO. Now he/she is on here hyping the program.

This is my opinion...unc0mm0n1, do you actually work at SEO? CAn you fess up with an honest answer?


Nah... what could they get out of doing that? Everyone here seems to think that SEO is a great opportunity already.

User avatar
Rand M.

Silver
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Rand M. » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

JoeMo wrote:
masterthearts wrote:I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.
In the spring he posted that SEO wanted him to tell everyone on the boards that if they had not received an answer up to that point, it meant they were not accepted into the program. TLS participants were upset about getting a rejection on a message board and the post was quickly removed. I doubt very much that SEO would have told a participant to post such a thing. Therefore, I think the only possible answer is that unc0mm0n1 actually works at SEO. Now he/she is on here hyping the program.

This is my opinion...unc0mm0n1, do you actually work at SEO? CAn you fess up with an honest answer?


Nah... what could they get out of doing that? Everyone here seems to think that SEO is a great opportunity already.


This. Plus, there is no way an SEO employee would have racked up 1100 posts. They are definitely lurking and watching this thread, but they don't have an account with that many posts. That's silly to say.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1

Gold
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm

masterthearts wrote:I am beginning to think that unc0mm0n1 might actually be someone who works at SEO, but poses as an applicant, or former SEO participant. A stooge, in other words.
In the spring he posted that SEO wanted him to tell everyone on the boards that if they had not received an answer up to that point, it meant they were not accepted into the program. TLS participants were upset about getting a rejection on a message board and the post was quickly removed. I doubt very much that SEO would have told a participant to post such a thing. Therefore, I think the only possible answer is that unc0mm0n1 actually works at SEO. Now he/she is on here hyping the program.

This is my opinion...unc0mm0n1, do you actually work at SEO? CAn you fess up with an honest answer?


haha, ask the other people who did SEO last year. I was an SEO corporate law intern last year. Also why would I post in the 1L waiting thread or ask Harvard students thread if I wasn't a 1L. I just think the program is great and if we can get more minorities into corporate law I think it's a win for everyone. Are there things in the program that I think should change? Of course, but overall I think the program was an awesome experience for me and I just wanted to tell other people about it.

r6_philly

Diamond
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
haha, ask the other people who did SEO last year. I was an SEO corporate law intern last year. Also why would I post in the 1L waiting thread or ask Harvard students thread if I wasn't a 1L. I just think the program is great and if we can get more minorities into corporate law I think it's a win for everyone. Are there things in the program that I think should change? Of course, but overall I think the program was an awesome experience for me and I just wanted to tell other people about it.


Hey man doing your good work? :)

Do many SEO alums offered 1L SA positions?

User avatar
unc0mm0n1

Gold
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
haha, ask the other people who did SEO last year. I was an SEO corporate law intern last year. Also why would I post in the 1L waiting thread or ask Harvard students thread if I wasn't a 1L. I just think the program is great and if we can get more minorities into corporate law I think it's a win for everyone. Are there things in the program that I think should change? Of course, but overall I think the program was an awesome experience for me and I just wanted to tell other people about it.


Hey man doing your good work? :)

Do many SEO alums offered 1L SA positions?


I'd say it is a 50/50 crap shoot. Some of my friends got them but my particular firm doesn't even have a 1L class so I did not get an offer. It would be nice to not have to worry about anything but I'm actually looking forward to working some place else this summer and I think I have a great shot at my going back to my SEO firm during my 2L summer.

JDcand

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JDcand » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 am

If anyone gets accepted this year, please post a note. I'm trying to gauge when SEO starts accepting applicants, if they haven't started already. Last year's thread indicates some applicants didn't hear back until April, but it's unclear the earliest you may get a response. A general timeline of when you applied, interviewed, and gained acceptance would be helpful as well. Best of luck!

JDcand

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JDcand » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am

trudat15 wrote:
booby87 wrote:Has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?


Wondering the same thing. Sent in awhile ago, but havent heard anything.


Applied shortly before the Dec. 1 deadline and received interview invite in mid-Dec. Just FYI as far as timeline goes. I don't know the criteria they're using, but it seems the timeline varies from person to person.

Aggie2012

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Aggie2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:36 am

Applied around 12-31 and received the interview email this past week. Really want this, seems like the perfect opportunity to get acclimated to the industry. Here's hoping for the best, good luck to everyone applying/interviewing!

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm

JDcand wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
booby87 wrote:Has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?


Wondering the same thing. Sent in awhile ago, but havent heard anything.


Applied shortly before the Dec. 1 deadline and received interview invite in mid-Dec. Just FYI as far as timeline goes. I don't know the criteria they're using, but it seems the timeline varies from person to person.


Did you already interview?

spiritniffler189

Bronze
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby spiritniffler189 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!

User avatar
JoeMo

Gold
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!


REC: Faculty
Turnaround: 2-3 weeks after you submit all required paperwork
March won't be too late as most of us will likely wait to go to ASD/ASW at our different choices before making a deposit. So your chances likely won't be affected. However, if you gave a good interview and the rest of your application is attractive and you send an enrollment letter and all the other stuff now you'd probably have a much greater chance than waiting until March.

I'm currently struggling with this same decision as I'd like to just send them the enrollment deposit and find out but I also don't want to commit this early to anywhere because I'm waiting to hear from others and make my final decision then.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.