SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:22 pm

.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:32 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
misterbingley wrote:from what i can surmise, a lot of people recently got an email inviting them to schedule a follow-up interview and then later received a second email saying that they're not supposed to schedule one until they've enrolled at a school. is this right?

anybody else on here not get the follow-up interview invite email? :(


I wasn't part of the first wave on follow up interview emails on Saturday, but then I received the second email that "un-invited" everyone to a follow up until they enroll at a school. I've heard that SEO is very random and somewhat unorganized. You not getting an interview invite could very well be a good thing in that they thought you were a slam dunk and thus the second interview is unnecessary. Just roll with it and hope for the best. Good Luck!


Agreed, especially since past participants got in without a followup. At this point since none of us have committed anywhere yet I don't think there's really that much speculation that can be made.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Renne Walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

When I first learned about SEO, I was under the impression SEO was extremely Ivy friendly (partly because Ivy schools are strong SEO financial contributors). I actually believed NYU was disadvantaged because it was not an Ivy. It occurred to me NYU’s high status ranking undoubtedly helped (plus my interviewer’s reaction was very positive). Moreover, in reading the boards, it is apparent NYU is also a strong financial contributor.

It will be interesting to see if SEO will favor NYU and the Ivy schools. BTW: So far I have not heard anything from SEO.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby masterthearts » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm

[
I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

Why are you saying "T10 school you choose." I thought SEO accepts student going to any of the T14.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Malcolm8X » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

masterthearts wrote:[
I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

Why are you saying "T10 school you choose." I thought SEO accepts student going to any of the T14.


They do. But SEO placement statistics show that their acceptance is heavily geared towards T6. An unusually high number from NYU (I think more than Harvard and Yale last time I checked the numbers). T6 around 10+ students versus Penn on down with like 1 or 2 each.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 pm

.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
masterthearts wrote:[
I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

Why are you saying "T10 school you choose." I thought SEO accepts student going to any of the T14.


They do. But SEO placement statistics show that their acceptance is heavily geared towards T6. An unusually high number from NYU (I think more than Harvard and Yale last time I checked the numbers). T6 around 10+ students versus Penn on down with like 1 or 2 each.


The T6 having more representation is a general rule. However, it seems like it can vary from year to year. One year I think Penn had 5 plus in the program.


True. But IIRC that was the year before NYU made the huge donation. Now that they've done that I think NYU will continue to have a large showing. But it's really Harvard, NYU, and CLS that have a huge showing isn't it? Although they're the ones with the larger class sizes too.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Malcolm8X » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
masterthearts wrote:[
I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

Why are you saying "T10 school you choose." I thought SEO accepts student going to any of the T14.


They do. But SEO placement statistics show that their acceptance is heavily geared towards T6. An unusually high number from NYU (I think more than Harvard and Yale last time I checked the numbers). T6 around 10+ students versus Penn on down with like 1 or 2 each.


The T6 having more representation is a general rule. However, it seems like it can vary from year to year. One year I think Penn had 5 plus in the program.


True. But IIRC that was the year before NYU made the huge donation. Now that they've done that I think NYU will continue to have a large showing. But it's really Harvard, NYU, and CLS that have a huge showing isn't it? Although they're the ones with the larger class sizes too.


I can't find the thread with the numbers, but that's how I recall it. NYU > CLS/Harvard > Rest of T6 > Rest of T14

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:34 pm

.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
They have large class sizes but so does G towns and they usually send only 1 or 2. Who knows.

Does anyone else feel like once they have decided to apply to law school, life has become just a long anxiety filled waiting game? Will it ever stop? LSAT scores, Admissions, Internships, 1L grades, Internships, 2L grades.....it's a never ending cycle.... :|


That is EXACTLY what it's felt like. Every step of the way I always think that once I get over that hurdle it'll be less stressful. FALSE!!!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Knock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
They have large class sizes but so does G towns and they usually send only 1 or 2. Who knows.

Does anyone else feel like once they have decided to apply to law school, life has become just a long anxiety filled waiting game? Will it ever stop? LSAT scores, Admissions, Internships, 1L grades, Internships, 2L grades.....it's a never ending cycle.... :|


That is EXACTLY what it's felt like. Every step of the way I always think that once I get over that hurdle it'll be less stressful. FALSE!!!


A lot of us went backwards here.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Malcolm8X » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
They have large class sizes but so does G towns and they usually send only 1 or 2. Who knows.

Does anyone else feel like once they have decided to apply to law school, life has become just a long anxiety filled waiting game? Will it ever stop? LSAT scores, Admissions, Internships, 1L grades, Internships, 2L grades.....it's a never ending cycle.... :|


That is EXACTLY what it's felt like. Every step of the way I always think that once I get over that hurdle it'll be less stressful. FALSE!!!


lol! Hell yea! It only gets tougher from here. Once we get into law school, we won't be able to wait until graduation, I'm sure.. UGH!

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
They have large class sizes but so does G towns and they usually send only 1 or 2. Who knows.

Does anyone else feel like once they have decided to apply to law school, life has become just a long anxiety filled waiting game? Will it ever stop? LSAT scores, Admissions, Internships, 1L grades, Internships, 2L grades.....it's a never ending cycle.... :|


That is EXACTLY what it's felt like. Every step of the way I always think that once I get over that hurdle it'll be less stressful. FALSE!!!


lol! Hell yea! It only gets tougher from here. Once we get into law school, we won't be able to wait until graduation, I'm sure.. UGH!


Yeah, I totally expect school itself to be tough though. But I thought I'd be fine once I got through the LSAT. And then apps turned out to be a complete pain. But then I thought I would just calmly sit back and wait for decisions. That was wrong because that's when I discovered TLS and became even more uptight and paranoid lol. Now all the scholarship stuff is coming into play, and the decision itself is definitely going to be tough. And to think at this time last year I was still just trying to get to the LSAT. It'll be worth it though! :D

User avatar
helloscriptkitti
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:03 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:52 pm

helloscriptkitti wrote:Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.


Haha I think we are the same person. All my friends have a real job lined up, are looking for a real job, or denying the fact that graduation is just a couple months away. Definitely no place in their lives for law school talk lol. SEO is my only near equivalent to what they're going through right now.

User avatar
calvmpv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby calvmpv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 pm

law_monkey wrote:Yeah, I totally expect school itself to be tough though. But I thought I'd be fine once I got through the LSAT. And then apps turned out to be a complete pain. But then I thought I would just calmly sit back and wait for decisions. That was wrong because that's when I discovered TLS and became even more uptight and paranoid lol. Now all the scholarship stuff is coming into play, and the decision itself is definitely going to be tough. And to think at this time last year I was still just trying to get to the LSAT. It'll be worth it though! :D


+1 on every single thing you said (wrote?) haha.

After going through this thread it looks like I'm not the only one who feels kind of rushed about picking a school. I won't even be done with ASWs till mid-April.

And I thought the hard part was over once my apps were in... :?
Now I know better.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 pm

calvmpv wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Yeah, I totally expect school itself to be tough though. But I thought I'd be fine once I got through the LSAT. And then apps turned out to be a complete pain. But then I thought I would just calmly sit back and wait for decisions. That was wrong because that's when I discovered TLS and became even more uptight and paranoid lol. Now all the scholarship stuff is coming into play, and the decision itself is definitely going to be tough. And to think at this time last year I was still just trying to get to the LSAT. It'll be worth it though! :D


+1 on every single thing you said (wrote?) haha.

After going through this thread it looks like I'm not the only one who feels kind of rushed about picking a school. I won't even be done with ASWs till mid-April.

And I thought the hard part was over once my apps were in... :?
Now I know better.


It does make me feel better that other people feel this pressure. I think more people will be facing this same situation, and most people won't be rushing their decision for ASW. Last year's April commits still got in, so we should all be fine.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm

.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
calvmpv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby calvmpv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.


+1 on every single word! This is what I get on here for.

None of my friends are considering law school and NONE of them seem as anal about things as I am. When I'm on TLS I feel at home. Every problem I have ever had, there is someone who can relate and give me advice. TLS is also a great tool for procrastination. I went from not knowing what TLS was a year ago to getting on it more than facebook, youtube,wikipedia and my email combined!


Yup, that's my life now haha. :P

Seriously though, I'm not allowed to mention law school anymore in front of my friends. They'll give me a pass every now and then, but even so...they just don't get it. The search tool on TLS has replaced my friends hahahaha.

User avatar
helloscriptkitti
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:03 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Haha. I tried once to explain TLS to my friend. I told her that my TLS friends were the only people that could relate to me. But she couldn't understand how they were my friends if I never posted and didn't really 'know' anyone. Perhaps she had a point, but at this point I feel closer to total strangers than my friends and family. I have alienated them all.

yngblkgifted wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.


+1 on every single word! This is what I get on here for.

None of my friends are considering law school and NONE of them seem as anal about things as I am. When I'm on TLS I feel at home. Every problem I have ever had, there is someone who can relate and give me advice. TLS is also a great tool for procrastination. I went from not knowing what TLS was a year ago to getting on it more than facebook, youtube,wikipedia and my email combined!

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:32 pm

helloscriptkitti wrote:Haha. I tried once to explain TLS to my friend. I told her that my TLS friends were the only people that could relate to me. But she couldn't understand how they were my friends if I never posted and didn't really 'know' anyone. Perhaps she had a point, but at this point I feel closer to total strangers than my friends and family. I have alienated them all.

yngblkgifted wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.


+1 on every single word! This is what I get on here for.

None of my friends are considering law school and NONE of them seem as anal about things as I am. When I'm on TLS I feel at home. Every problem I have ever had, there is someone who can relate and give me advice. TLS is also a great tool for procrastination. I went from not knowing what TLS was a year ago to getting on it more than facebook, youtube,wikipedia and my email combined!


Haha yeah my friends IRL are horrified that part of the reason I'm excited for ASW is to meet TLSers. They keep telling me that I don't actually know these people, and I'm just like well I kind of do. I also wanted to point out that all of what we've been saying if taken out of context makes us sound super emo right now lol.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 pm

.
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 pm

.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Speaking of ASWs. UVA's is coming up. Who's going? And what is the code word to know whether or not we are talking to another TLSer?


Not me. UVA has been my only non-positive decision so far (although I'm sure Harvard's and CLS' are on their way). :( The ASWs I'm attending are Cornell's, Penn's and NYU's. Hopefully some of you will be at one of those too!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.