SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Non-Chalant1

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:08 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:The fact that they could have less applicants makes a bunch of sense. Consider the fact that most T14 schools have noted that they are seeing a decline in applications this year, i.e. I spoke with someone at UVA in the admissions office who said apps were down 10%. If we assume (not safe to do this, but just go with it) that apps are down equally across all demographics, that means the number of eligible applicants has declined. (This would hold even if the number of URMs + asians hadn't declined as much as 10% but still went down a bit) Add in the fact that SEO has given signs that it has expanded its corporate law program and you have a problem. Declining number of eligible applicants and an increased amount of open seats.

That's a good problem for me. :D But I sense as if they have gotten more selective over the years (maybe just out of caution for the law firms). Apps may be down but word has definitely gone out. Reading past forums, people were like "ehhh, I'll think about SEO, but I rather go boating across the Caribbean during my last free summer for 3 years." Now, it's "HOT DAMN! Biglaw 0L?! What a great way to put your foot in the door, ITE! I pray to the heavens I make this!" The economy has got to have boosted up their apps in my opinion.

It's funny because this is exactly the dilemma I'll be in.

lol yeah I was gonna back pack through asia and Australia but I'd throw that away in a second if I got this.

I haven't left the country since I was an infant (of course I don't remember it). I really did want to hit up a bunch of spots in Europe.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I haven't left the country since I was an infant (of course I don't remember it). I really did want to hit up a bunch of spots in Europe.

That's a really great consolation prize! Obviously we all want this, but it's a lot better if your alternative isn't waiting tables all summer which is what I will be doing if I don't get this.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

So apparently we're not supposed to schedule follow up interviews until we decide on a school? Mine got cancelled since I haven't picked a school yet. Anyone else get the same message?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I encourage all of you to follow your hearts! Travel in Europe haha

Europe is great I lived there for 5 yrs (taking out the two years I was deployed). If you do go don't just hit up the big spots. IF you go to Rome check out Naples. If you go to Frankfurt catch a 40min train ride to Wiesbaden. If you hit up Amsterdam, make sure to check out Rotterdam or Den Haag. A lot of the out lying places are just as good if not better than the main spots.

helloscriptkitti

Postby helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

TLSNYC wrote:So apparently we're not supposed to schedule follow up interviews until we decide on a school? Mine got cancelled since I haven't picked a school yet. Anyone else get the same message?

I did :(

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top14dreams

Postby Top14dreams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Was just coming in here to ask if anyone else got disinvited from the follow-up interview. Glad to see I am not the only one!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Top14dreams wrote:Was just coming in here to ask if anyone else got disinvited from the follow-up interview. Glad to see I am not the only one!

Same. I kept watching the thread after I got the email to make sure I wasn't the only person haha.

sagirl27

Postby sagirl27 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Me too! Now I feel pressure to commit somewhere (but still want to hear about all my financial aid packages)

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I haven't left the country since I was an infant (of course I don't remember it). I really did want to hit up a bunch of spots in Europe.

That's a really great consolation prize! Obviously we all want this, but it's a lot better if your alternative isn't waiting tables all summer which is what I will be doing if I don't get this.

I mean I've been planning it for like 3 years. If that falls through and SEO falls through too then....I'll be sitting back and reflecting on my life all summer.
Last edited by Non-Chalant1 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

sagirl27 wrote:Me too! Now I feel pressure to commit somewhere (but still want to hear about all my financial aid packages)

So true, but I keep reminding myself that the last thing we should do is rush this decision. Obviously we're all in great schools, so there's not a bad decision. But no one wants to make a decision that would be bad for them personally. In stalking last year's part of the thread a lot of people who committed in the first part of April still got in.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

sagirl27 wrote:Me too! Now I feel pressure to commit somewhere (but still want to hear about all my financial aid packages)

I feel pressure to commit to NYU in particular. When I asked my interviewer about what he/she thought of it, he/she spoke glowingly of the school, more so than its peer schools that I am considering. I know NYU donated money to SEO, so I'm sure there's a good relationship between the two. I like NYU and might choose to attend there, but I just feel like picking it would probably up my chances for the program, and so I'm even more inclined to go for it. (I'm not sure if it's ever been conclusively proven that picking NYU ups one's chances, but I just have a feeling that it is one of their preferred schools.)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

TLSNYC wrote:

I feel pressure to commit to NYU in particular. When I asked my interviewer about what he/she thought of it, he/she spoke glowingly of the school, more so than its peer schools that I am considering. I know NYU donated money to SEO, so I'm sure there's a good relationship between the two. I like NYU and might choose to attend there, but I just feel like picking it would probably up my chances for the program, and so I'm even more inclined to go for it. (I'm not sure if it's ever been conclusively proven that picking NYU ups one's chances, but I just have a feeling that it is one of their preferred schools.)

I totally agree with that! At this point I'm trying to decide NYU vs. Penn, and I keep associating SEO as a part of committing to NYU.

helloscriptkitti

Postby helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Yeah at my interview I was specifically asked about NYU. It's hard because I haven't been accepted yet (and prob won't be). If I am somehow accepted I definitely won't be getting an AnBryce or scholarship money and in that case would prefer staying in Philly over NY. But all I can think about is WWSD (What Would SEO Do)? Yet another major consideration in this lengthy law school process :(

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:08 pm

helloscriptkitti wrote:Yeah at my interview I was specifically asked about NYU. It's hard because I haven't been accepted yet (and prob won't be). If I am somehow accepted I definitely won't be getting an AnBryce or scholarship money and in that case would prefer staying in Philly over NY. But all I can think about is WWSD (What Would SEO Do)? Yet another major consideration in this lengthy law school process :(

Yeah it's really hard because I would normally not want an internship or something to be a major factor in my decision. But this program is so huge!!! Haha if we all matriculate at NYU does that mean they'll take all of us and just have a straight up NYU group this summer? :D

helloscriptkitti

Postby helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:22 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

I refuse to rush this decision because it will affect much more than whether or not I get into SEO. I still have to hear from 5 schools,travel to multiple ASW's and hear about financial aid offerings before I can even begin to think about a definitive decision. I am sure SEO can understand that most of us are not ready to commit anywhere quite yet.

I agree with this and SEO school preference will definitely not be my sole deciding factor in choosing a law school. In fact, money is probably my biggest factor as I am taking a huge financial blow by leaving my current field and I have a house and stuff. But like law_monkey and many alums have pointed out, the program can do so much to shape your legal future that it's hard not to make that a big part of the decision. I will hold out as long as I can to make sure I am doing what will benefit me the most in the long-run. Hopefully I will have my cake and east it too.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Throwing my hat in the ring for a follow-up interview. I keep telling myself it can't be a bad thing.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm

CMDantes wrote:Throwing my hat in the ring for a follow-up interview. I keep telling myself it can't be a bad thing.

When was your original interview? These invites were all accidental anyway (in that even if we do get them later we weren't supposed to have them now), so I wouldn't dwell on it that much.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm

law_monkey wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Throwing my hat in the ring for a follow-up interview. I keep telling myself it can't be a bad thing.

When was your original interview? These invites were all accidental anyway (in that even if we do get them later we weren't supposed to have them now), so I wouldn't dwell on it that much.

Original interview was a while ago.
Last edited by CMDantes on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterbingley

Postby misterbingley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 pm

from what i can surmise, a lot of people recently got an email inviting them to schedule a follow-up interview and then later received a second email saying that they're not supposed to schedule one until they've enrolled at a school. is this right?

anybody else on here not get the follow-up interview invite email? :(

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”