SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:What is the general consensus about which factors matter the most? We all know that LSAT is the most important factor in LS admissions, followed by GPA, URM status, Work Experience, LORs....But what about SEO? From what I've gathered, A T14 acceptance is necessary (an exception every now and then), but it is obviously not sufficient. So, acceptances seem to get you in the door, but after that, what is it?

My guess

Acceptances/where you enroll: 30%
Interview skills/ how personable you are: 30%
Work Exp: 15%
LSAT: 10%
GPA: 10%
Undergrad: 5%

These numbers were based off of hearsay and browsing the thread.

GPA is a hell of a lot more important than 10 percent. I was told by a recruiter than the average GPA is 3.7+ They do take people with lower GPA's but you're going to have some really great things going for you. Undergrad is very important as well--a lot more than 5 percent. Check out the profiles of the people who've made it in recent years. The firms that SEO connect you with are very focused on prestige. If anything LSAT may be the least important factor of the one's you listed. I was told that the average LSAT for the program was in the low 160s--with many people being accepted with a high 150s score. You certainly don't need a sky high (170+) LSAT.

what do y'all think, based off of what you have heard?

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:What is the general consensus about which factors matter the most? We all know that LSAT is the most important factor in LS admissions, followed by GPA, URM status, Work Experience, LORs....But what about SEO? From what I've gathered, A T14 acceptance is necessary (an exception every now and then), but it is obviously not sufficient. So, acceptances seem to get you in the door, but after that, what is it?

My guess

Acceptances/where you enroll: 30%
Interview skills/ how personable you are: 30%
Work Exp: 15%
LSAT: 10%
GPA: 10%
Undergrad: 5%

These numbers were based off of hearsay and browsing the thread.

GPA is a hell of a lot more important than 10 percent. I was told by a recruiter than the average GPA is 3.7+ They do take people with lower GPA's but you're going to have some really great things going for you. Undergrad is very important as well--a lot more than 5 percent. Check out the profiles of the people who've made it in recent years. The firms that SEO connect you with are very focused on prestige. If anything LSAT may be the least important factor of the one's you listed. I was told that the average LSAT for the program was in the low 160s--with many people being accepted with a high 150s score. You certainly don't need a sky high (170+) LSAT.

what do y'all think, based off of what you have heard?



Thanks Batman! Those numbers were pretty much out of my ass with no substantive evidence. Everything you said is good news for me, except for the undergrad prestige. :shock: Do you think I will have to make up for this in the same way a lower GPA applicant would?

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Sinra » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

:|

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:12 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:What is the general consensus about which factors matter the most? We all know that LSAT is the most important factor in LS admissions, followed by GPA, URM status, Work Experience, LORs....But what about SEO? From what I've gathered, A T14 acceptance is necessary (an exception every now and then), but it is obviously not sufficient. So, acceptances seem to get you in the door, but after that, what is it?

My guess

Acceptances/where you enroll: 30%
Interview skills/ how personable you are: 30%
Work Exp: 15%
LSAT: 10%
GPA: 10%
Undergrad: 5%

These numbers were based off of hearsay and browsing the thread.

GPA is a hell of a lot more important than 10 percent. I was told by a recruiter than the average GPA is 3.7+ They do take people with lower GPA's but you're going to have some really great things going for you. Undergrad is very important as well--a lot more than 5 percent. Check out the profiles of the people who've made it in recent years. The firms that SEO connect you with are very focused on prestige. If anything LSAT may be the least important factor of the one's you listed. I was told that the average LSAT for the program was in the low 160s--with many people being accepted with a high 150s score. You certainly don't need a sky high (170+) LSAT.

what do y'all think, based off of what you have heard?



Thanks Batman! Those numbers were pretty much out of my ass with no substantive evidence. Everything you said is good news for me, except for the undergrad prestige. :shock: Do you think I will have to make up for this in the same way a lower GPA applicant would?


My interviewers made it a point to comment that they dont recruit at my school and dont usually see ppl from my undergrad so this might have legs now that I think about it.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm

.
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:My interviewers made it a point to comment that they dont recruit at my school and dont usually see ppl from my undergrad so this might have legs now that I think about it.


What do you mean recruit at your school? You use undergrad and school so I am a bit confused. I know you have yet to pick a law school.


Sorry. They dont recruit at my undergrad.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Rand M. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:15 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:My interviewers made it a point to comment that they dont recruit at my school and dont usually see ppl from my undergrad so this might have legs now that I think about it.


What do you mean recruit at your school? You use undergrad and school so I am a bit confused. I know you have yet to pick a law school.


Sorry. They dont recruit at my undergrad.


Rarity of undergrad is a big plus. My UG was emphasized several time even after the program began. They try to spread/build the brand by getting schools that aren't often represented.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:33 pm

.
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Hmmm they interview AT my undergrad. I wonder if that means my school partners with them in any way or if the space is just convenient. And if they are a partner I wonder if they already have too many people from my school or if they don't mind taking a lot.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 am

Rand M. wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:My interviewers made it a point to comment that they dont recruit at my school and dont usually see ppl from my undergrad so this might have legs now that I think about it.


What do you mean recruit at your school? You use undergrad and school so I am a bit confused. I know you have yet to pick a law school.


Sorry. They dont recruit at my undergrad.


Rarity of undergrad is a big plus. My UG was emphasized several time even after the program began. They try to spread/build the brand by getting schools that aren't often represented.


I sure like the sound of that. My undergrad is pretty rare. I did however notice that a professor at Upenn got his Phd from my school and there was a kid at Chicago currently reppin' my school- pretty random.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 am

I was really worried about undergrad prestige as well. I started off at a great school but did my last two years at a really crappy one. I mean really crappy! I mean think of the crappiest school you could imagine now imagine a school so bad that the first school makes fun of it. My undergrad is a little worse than the second school. But it has gotten me 4 T15 acceptances so far so I guess I can't complain too much. BTW one of my interviewers (SEO alum) went to an HBCU in Florida. While it's not a terrible school it's clearly not Princeton either.

User avatar
calvmpv
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby calvmpv » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 pm

.
Last edited by calvmpv on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:59 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:I was really worried about undergrad prestige as well. I started off at a great school but did my last two years at a really crappy one. I mean really crappy! I mean think of the crappiest school you could imagine now imagine a school so bad that the first school makes fun of it. My undergrad is a little worse than the second school. But it has gotten me 4 T15 acceptances so far so I guess I can't complain too much. BTW one of my interviewers (SEO alum) went to an HBCU in Florida. While it's not a terrible school it's clearly not Princeton either.


Lol.

User avatar
jaen78
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby jaen78 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

There seems to be a lot of speculation on the importance of undergrad prestige. For what it's worth, I'm a 2009 SEO alum, and my year there were about 20 of us out of the 55 who went to schools I don't think anyone would consider particularly prestigious. To be fair, none of them were really crappy, they just weren't Ivy League/upper crust liberal arts schools. However, the lowest ranked law school represented was USC, and there was only 1 person from there.

memorex
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby memorex » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:21 pm

.
Last edited by memorex on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:56 pm

jaen78 wrote:There seems to be a lot of speculation on the importance of undergrad prestige. For what it's worth, I'm a 2009 SEO alum, and my year there were about 20 of us out of the 55 who went to schools I don't think anyone would consider particularly prestigious. To be fair, none of them were really crappy, they just weren't Ivy League/upper crust liberal arts schools. However, the lowest ranked law school represented was USC, and there was only 1 person from there.


Hopefully the undergrad prestige isn't too much more important than it is in LS admissions. Of course there will be prestigious schools represented in SEO because those kids tend to have the higher scores and go on to study at prestigious law schools. However, this doesn't mean that if someone from a lower ranked school has the numbers/acceptances to make them competitive in SEO, they will be rejected solely because of their undergrad.

(God I hope I'm right on this one. Time will tell)
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Doritos » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
jaen78 wrote:There seems to be a lot of speculation on the importance of undergrad prestige. For what it's worth, I'm a 2009 SEO alum, and my year there were about 20 of us out of the 55 who went to schools I don't think anyone would consider particularly prestigious. To be fair, none of them were really crappy, they just weren't Ivy League/upper crust liberal arts schools. However, the lowest ranked law school represented was USC, and there was only 1 person from there.


Hopefully the undergrad prestige isn't too much more important than it is in LS admissions. Of course there will be prestigious schools represented in SEO because those kids tend to have the higher scores and go on to study prestigious at law schools. However, this doesn't mean that if someone from a lower ranked school has the numbers/acceptances to make them competitive in SEO, they will be rejected solely because of their undergrad.

(God I hope I'm right on this one. Time will tell)


Your personality + LS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your undergrad

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mez06 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Relax guys. You got an interview for a reason. GL to everyone.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Is anyone else worried about their cycle going too long and missing out by default? I have a job now so Im not desperate but I kind of hate my job and would welcome a chance at SEO.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Rand M. » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Doritos wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
jaen78 wrote:There seems to be a lot of speculation on the importance of undergrad prestige. For what it's worth, I'm a 2009 SEO alum, and my year there were about 20 of us out of the 55 who went to schools I don't think anyone would consider particularly prestigious. To be fair, none of them were really crappy, they just weren't Ivy League/upper crust liberal arts schools. However, the lowest ranked law school represented was USC, and there was only 1 person from there.


Hopefully the undergrad prestige isn't too much more important than it is in LS admissions. Of course there will be prestigious schools represented in SEO because those kids tend to have the higher scores and go on to study prestigious at law schools. However, this doesn't mean that if someone from a lower ranked school has the numbers/acceptances to make them competitive in SEO, they will be rejected solely because of their undergrad.

(God I hope I'm right on this one. Time will tell)


Your personality + LS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your undergrad


I was just saying that I know they look to reach new campuses when they can. My undergrad was brought up throughout the summer in conversations when it just wouldn't have come up if it were just another factor. Your law school is 1000x more important, but this is something they definitely have in mind when making decision. And it has nothing to do with prestige; it's just a rarity thing. If two people are going to NYU Law, and both had solid interviews, the one from the less often represented undergrad probably gets the edge. This is a stupid thing to use to try to figure out where you stand, but it's something.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:09 am

Does age matter I kind of feel I might be at a disadvantage because I'm thirty. I took 5 yrs off and served the country in the Army. While noble and what not do they look down on you because of this? I still fall into the recent college graduate because I graduated from college a year and a half ago and I'll get my masters in May.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:34 am

Doritos wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
jaen78 wrote:There seems to be a lot of speculation on the importance of undergrad prestige. For what it's worth, I'm a 2009 SEO alum, and my year there were about 20 of us out of the 55 who went to schools I don't think anyone would consider particularly prestigious. To be fair, none of them were really crappy, they just weren't Ivy League/upper crust liberal arts schools. However, the lowest ranked law school represented was USC, and there was only 1 person from there.


Hopefully the undergrad prestige isn't too much more important than it is in LS admissions. Of course there will be prestigious schools represented in SEO because those kids tend to have the higher scores and go on to study prestigious at law schools. However, this doesn't mean that if someone from a lower ranked school has the numbers/acceptances to make them competitive in SEO, they will be rejected solely because of their undergrad.

(God I hope I'm right on this one. Time will tell)


Your personality + LS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your undergrad


Truth.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 am

It's crazy I posted something about SEO on my LSN profile and 3 minority students so far asked me what it was. THey all had t14 acceptances but none of them even knew about SEO. I'm surprised at how few people know about this. My interviewer said they had upwards off 70 spots. If only about 300 people interview, and you take out the people who interview poorly, don't get into a T14 or decide to go to a non T14, Or those who get other jobs or decide they don't want to do it. I think we have a great chance of getting this esp if you are certain URM's.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:It's crazy I posted something about SEO on my LSN profile and 3 minority students so far asked me what it was. THey all had t14 acceptances but none of them even knew about SEO. I'm surprised at how few people know about this. My interviewer said they had upwards off 70 spots. If only about 300 people interview, and you take out the people who interview poorly, don't get into a T14 or decide to go to a non T14, Or those who get other jobs or decide they don't want to do it. I think we have a great chance of getting this esp if you are certain URM's.


Just out of curiosity, why do you think its about 300 people who interview? Or was that a hypothetical?

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:21 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:It's crazy I posted something about SEO on my LSN profile and 3 minority students so far asked me what it was. THey all had t14 acceptances but none of them even knew about SEO. I'm surprised at how few people know about this. My interviewer said they had upwards off 70 spots. If only about 300 people interview, and you take out the people who interview poorly, don't get into a T14 or decide to go to a non T14, Or those who get other jobs or decide they don't want to do it. I think we have a great chance of getting this esp if you are certain URM's.


Just out of curiosity, why do you think its about 300 people who interview? Or was that a hypothetical?


As the class sizes increase, so do the interview spots available. Therefore, you should extrapolate from the SEO article that there should be more interviews this year in addition to the new spots.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.