SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trudat15

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby trudat15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:12 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
trudat15 wrote:For supporting documents, they said they needed a transcript from all the schools I've gone to. I know that normally this means we have to have it sent directly to them, but in the email, it said we can have it scanned and emailed to them. I have official copies at home (since they are not sealed, can they count as official at this point?). Can I just scan and send?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I sent them a scanned (really I think I saved it as a .doc) unofficial copy of my transcript and followed up with an official one much later in the process (I think after my interview). You should be fine.

Oh, I meant for after the interview. DId you have them sent from your schools directly?

Thanks

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm

trudat15 wrote:Oh, I meant for after the interview. DId you have them sent from your schools directly?

Thanks

Yes.

DorianGray89 wrote:So Rand, what kind of work did you do at the firm? What was the bulk of your assignments?

The work varies by firm and by city. Some were little more than paralegals and some got to do some pretty substantive work.

Vaguely, from memory, I worked on a litigation matter (background research on a witness, outlining the deposition, sitting in and assisting with the deposition), I did a fair amount of background research for a congressional investigation, and worked on a few corporate matters - creating a database and drafting minutes of a board meeting. They treated me as a regular summer but they had to limit the work to things that you could do without having a law degree/legal training. Overall it was a good experience. And I got to do all the fun stuff summers did.

ALSO: SEO has been sending e-mails saying that because they've expanded the program in just about every region, they have more slots than ever before but have fewer applications than ever before. They've encouraged alums to reach out to 0L's applying to top schools and encourage them to apply to SEO as well. Consider yourselves so encouraged.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
ALSO: SEO has been sending e-mails saying that because they've expanded the program in just about every region, they have more slots than ever before but have fewer applications than ever before. They've encouraged alums to reach out to 0L's applying to top schools and encourage them to apply to SEO as well. Consider yourselves so encouraged.

:shock: :D
makes me feel a little better about my chances despite applying so late!

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Got a letter recently. Never heard of this program before but am really interested... However, more likely than not I will not be attending a t14 school. I am Hispanic with some good w/e and other softs, does anyone think I should apply?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:Got a letter recently. Never heard of this program before but am really interested... However, more likely than not I will not be attending a t14 school. I am Hispanic with some good w/e and other softs, does anyone think I should apply?

From what I understand, aside from 3-4 outliers last year, all of the other 50-80 admits were attending T14 schools. Make of it what you will.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Applied. The waiting begins

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:Got a letter recently. Never heard of this program before but am really interested... However, more likely than not I will not be attending a t14 school. I am Hispanic with some good w/e and other softs, does anyone think I should apply?

From what I understand, aside from 3-4 outliers last year, all of the other 50-80 admits were attending T14 schools. Make of it what you will.

Not to mince facts, but it was 1 person, and they were still going to a top school (Texas). The numbers are buried somewhere in this thread.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Rand M. wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

Not to mince facts, but it was 1 person, and they were still going to a top school (Texas). The numbers are buried somewhere in this thread.

Yea uhhh nope im not gonna apply...

silly101

Postby silly101 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Got an in-person interview
advice? thanks!

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:03 pm

So, after much consideration, I decided to apply to the SEO program. My LSAT score was really low, but I did get accepted to a t10 school (UVA). Do you guys think I have a shot because of a t10 acceptance, or do you think my low LSAT score will make them laugh and throw my application away?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:So, after much consideration, I decided to apply to the SEO program. My LSAT score was really low, but I did get accepted to a t10 school (UVA). Do you guys think I have a shot because of a t10 acceptance, or do you think my low LSAT score will make them laugh and throw my application away?

Apply, the t14 acceptance is key.

edit: bad rc, my fault. you definitely have a good chance! the w/e resume and career direction in your app could help with your lsat. whatever you showed to get you into uva can get you seo...
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

Yea uhhh nope im not gonna apply...

What do you have to lose? I say apply and let them tell you no instead of foreclosing the possibility of being an SEO baller.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm

How many LORs is everyone submitting for this thing?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm

trudat15 wrote:How many LORs is everyone submitting for this thing?

I don't know if I'll need any, seeing as how I haven't gotten an interview invite yet, but if I do, I will only submit one. I feel like LORs aren't as important as law school you'll be attending, interview performance, and work experience, and so there's not much pressure to produce something spectacular. 1 solid LOR should do the trick.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

TLSNYC wrote:

I don't know if I'll need any, seeing as how I haven't gotten an interview invite yet, but if I do, I will only submit one. I feel like LORs aren't as important as law school you'll be attending, interview performance, and work experience, and so there's not much pressure to produce something spectacular. 1 solid LOR should do the trick.

Good luck. I only got my interview today after submitting in Dec. Chicago+NYU acceptances should get you in for an interview, at the very least.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

TLSNYC wrote:

Good luck. I only got my interview today after submitting in Dec. Chicago+NYU acceptances should get you in for an interview, at the very least.

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:16 am

1 LoR is fine, guys.

socraticmethodman wrote:So, after much consideration, I decided to apply to the SEO program. My LSAT score was really low, but I did get accepted to a t10 school (UVA). Do you guys think I have a shot because of a t10 acceptance, or do you think my low LSAT score will make them laugh and throw my application away?

Acceptances matter. Just like in the real world, nobody cares about what your LSAT score was after you get accepted into law school. UVA ought to do the trick, especially if you want to be in DC.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks for the responses, hopefully good news comes!

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Doritos wrote:SEO baller.

I like this.

kdubb513

Postby kdubb513 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:39 pm

trudat15 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:

Well I've got Chicago hopefully that will be enough to get an interview. Anyone who submitted in mid-January heard about an Interview?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Doritos wrote:SEO baller.

I like this.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:49 pm

So, How long does it usually take to get an interview or hear anything from them?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:So, How long does it usually take to get an interview or hear anything from them?

I emailed a lady from SEO she told me I should hear back about three weeks after I submit my app, I'm assuming it's the same for everybody.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 pm

I got an interview and I didn't get ANY school decision yet. I just let them know I applied to a range of T14's and as long as your LSAT/GPA isn't horrendous for a URM, you should be fine..

Just be patient, they really want people.. I already applied in December, got my interview (this Friday) almost exactly 1 month later, and I still got a reminder e-mail to apply 2 days ago.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Apparently all the LA times are currently booked? Someone confirm?

Return to “Legal Employment”