SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mez06

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mez06 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Question---Would I have much of a shot to get SEO w/ an acceptance to Univeristy of Illinois (UIUC) at #21. I don't know if that's the highest I'll get into but it is of now.

2 Yrs WE at Fortune 100 company.

Be brutally honest if you must.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:16 pm

mez06 wrote:Question---Would I have much of a shot to get SEO w/ an acceptance to Univeristy of Illinois (UIUC) at #21. I don't know if that's the highest I'll get into but it is of now.

2 Yrs WE at Fortune 100 company.

Be brutally honest if you must.

I would say definitely apply. If you get into higher ranked school you can always update your app

IvanFK

Postby IvanFK » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 pm

anyone know where i can find the cover sheet for the acceptance letter fax? i remember seeing them in the download section before but i don't see it anymore...

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Hmmm i saw this: Who is eligible for the SEO internship program?
Students of color who have a 3.0 GPA or above are eligible for the SEO program, with limited opportunities for students with F-1 visas (investment bank partners only). We have opportunities for every grade level. Any major is welcome.

But i believe that is not for the law program.

Someone please tell me that there are white people who have gotten this, i mean shouldnt that be illegal or something if they disadvantage whites like that? (please god dont turn this into an AA debate)

Not certain, but I think that is for all the programs. And it wouldn't be illegal (also, if it were illegal, it would be illegal for both the law program and whatever other programs they have, not just for the law program).
SEO wrote:How We Started

SEO was founded in 1963 during the height of the modern Civil Rights Movement as a mentoring and college preparation program for underprivileged high school students in New York City. The organization's mission was based upon the conviction that all students can succeed when given access to opportunities.

As more and more of SEO’s students went on to college, SEO recognized that there was a need to advocate for increased opportunities for minorities in the corporate workforce. In 1980, the SEO Career Program was established to help high achieving underrepresented students of color reach their career goals by providing internships in some of our nation’s most challenging fields. Starting with Wall Street, the SEO Career Program began with 11 students placed at five investment banking firms. The Career Program now has more than 40 partners, offering hundreds of career-blazing summer internships in seven areas.

--LinkRemoved--

You are correct, but thats just messed up. I am just hoping someone will jump in and say that they know of white people recieving these positions lol. Probably wont happen though

This program helps minority students who are among the best of all students in the country. I cannot see a reason to quarrel with this unless you see something intrinsically wrong with such an idea.

Well, black people would be very angry if there was a program that explicitly stated that it's aimed at helping white people only.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 am

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 am

do they send rejection emails? or is no response=rejection

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 am

silly101 wrote:do they send rejection emails? or is no response=rejection

I believe they send you something that tells you to check the status of your application online, and then the fact that you were not accepted will be noted there.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 am

IvanFK wrote:anyone know where i can find the cover sheet for the acceptance letter fax? i remember seeing them in the download section before but i don't see it anymore...

How do I submit my law school admission documents?
Please fax all law school related documentation to (646)706-7113.

Nothing about a cover letter there. I think I'm in the clear.

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 am

Do you actually need to fax in acceptances? I just checked them in the application and it seemed to work fine. I was under the impression you only needed to fax a copy of where you enrolled.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:01 am

Rand M. wrote:
silly101 wrote:do they send rejection emails? or is no response=rejection

I believe they send you something that tells you to check the status of your application online, and then the fact that you were not accepted will be noted there.

I got a rejection email last year after going through 2 interviews.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:32 am

AfroThunder1212 wrote:Do you actually need to fax in acceptances? I just checked them in the application and it seemed to work fine. I was under the impression you only needed to fax a copy of where you enrolled.

Do you mean in the quick updates section? How does everybody have a different view of this...the website says fax in law school admission info...I updated the app in the quick updates section to be sure

gerbal

Postby gerbal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:09 am

why'd I get a letter encouraging me to apply? Is there any point in applying if I'm not urm?

ads222

Postby ads222 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:05 am

AfroThunder1212 wrote:Do you actually need to fax in acceptances? I just checked them in the application and it seemed to work fine. I was under the impression you only needed to fax a copy of where you enrolled.

Yeah, I haven't been faxing my letters either, just filling in the quick updates section (which, BTW, is sort of confusing). I haven't heard back from SEO despite applying on 12/14 so maybe a few faxes will remind them that I do in fact exist?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:31 pm

gerbal wrote:why'd I get a letter encouraging me to apply? Is there any point in applying if I'm not urm?

They have a quite broad interpretation of minority. If you have any origin that is not European, you count.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Did anyone ever figure out whether faxing acceptances was a necessity?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerbal

Postby gerbal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Rand M. wrote:
gerbal wrote:why'd I get a letter encouraging me to apply? Is there any point in applying if I'm not urm?

They have a quite broad interpretation of minority. If you have any origin that is not European, you count.

Is there any point in applying in this case (realistically)? or is the program meant for urms mostly?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 pm

gerbal wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

Is there any point in applying in this case (realistically)? or is the program meant for urms mostly?

I'd encourage you to apply.

ads222

Postby ads222 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 pm

I heard back today with an invitation to interview. Submitted right before the first deadline. Hope y'all are next!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm

I got an email from there yesterday reminding me to apply before the deadline. But I sent in my app right before the priority deadline... Did anyone else who's already applied get this?

2bOn2b

Postby 2bOn2b » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 pm

law_monkey wrote:I got an email from there yesterday reminding me to apply before the deadline. But I sent in my app right before the priority deadline... Did anyone else who's already applied get this?

Yes, I got the same email last night. I kindly informed them that I had submitted my application Dec. 14th, and then asked if they had recieved my app. They infomed me the emails went out to everyone. Fortunately, I just got my interview invite today and signed up for ATL.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Fresh wrote:Did anyone ever figure out whether faxing acceptances was a necessity?

AfroThunder got an interview without faxing acceptances, but the website explicitly states in the FAQ's section that law school admission documentation should be faxed to the number provided...I think you're safe either way, but I have incidentally done both...haven't heard back applied 12/5

Its definitely at least very strongly encouraged. They actually contacted me via phone call to have me send e-mail images b/c my faxing didnt show up well

Pray88

Postby Pray88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:27 am

law_monkey wrote:I got an email from there yesterday reminding me to apply before the deadline. But I sent in my app right before the priority deadline... Did anyone else who's already applied get this?

Hey, I am a long time reader of this blog lol, but the same thing happened to me though I applied 12/5. I sent an email asking whether or not they preferred to have them faxed or update online, I got a general out of office respond shortly after, and an invitation to interview a few hours after, whether or not they are related I will never know.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:14 pm

I just had to turn down a job for this program.. Im now really, really hoping I get it or else I am really going to feel like an idiot.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”