SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
APimpNamedSlickback

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 pm

s
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat May 28, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:t14 acceptances may not play a key role in getting an INTERVIEW, but i can assure you that you in all likelihood won't actually get in without a t14 enrollment receipt.

yea that's what we're discussing, getting an INTERVIEW. he got into Columbia but they haven't invited him for an interview. he's wondering why he didn't get an INTERVIEW

cool. and i used caps on the word "interview" to emphasize the distinction i was making rather than be rude.

i'd comment on you doing the same thing to be cute, but meh, i'm actually too busy looking for housing since i've already been accepted. good luck.

thank you and good luck with you're housing search. I already live in NY so I'm occupying my time with other things

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:49 am

groundkontrol wrote:Like I said in a previous post I was never offered an interview even though I was accepted to Columbia. I assume it is because of my low LSAT score and/or middle of the road GPA. Is there anything I can do to show them I'm still interested? Email? Phone call?

If you haven't realized by now they don't care that you got into Columbia..........

jacosta6

Postby jacosta6 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm in! I was accepted a little while after my Skype interview. I only had my first interview last week after applying in late December. I sent in all my documents in January showing that I had been accepted at NYU-ED, but I only heard back from SEO a few weeks ago. I was a bit disheartened after all the comments claiming that a T-14 acceptance not only guaranteed you an interview, but a really good shot at a spot in the program.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

kinch

Postby kinch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:14 pm

jacosta6 wrote:I'm in! I was accepted a little while after my Skype interview. I only had my first interview last week after applying in late December. I sent in all my documents in January showing that I had been accepted at NYU-ED, but I only heard back from SEO a few weeks ago. I was a bit disheartened after all the comments claiming that a T-14 acceptance not only guaranteed you an interview, but a really good shot at a spot in the program.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

Congrats!

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:Like I said in a previous post I was never offered an interview even though I was accepted to Columbia. I assume it is because of my low LSAT score and/or middle of the road GPA. Is there anything I can do to show them I'm still interested? Email? Phone call?

If you haven't realized by now they don't care that you got into Columbia..........

I loled.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

You guys are mean.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 pm

ValiantVic wrote:You guys are mean.

Maybe you had to be there. Either way its all in good spirit. For the most part TLS (and the minority threads/sections in particular) are pretty supportive communities.

flawyer

Postby flawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Is today, 4/15/2010, the last day that you might hear back from SEO?

CoutureChiq

Postby CoutureChiq » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by CoutureChiq on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laina

Postby Laina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:30 pm

CoutureChiq wrote:^ I'd like to know this as well. It seems very few people, ITT at least, have heard back.

No. I heard directly from the SEO rep that the end of next week is what they are shooting for to be done with decisions.

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 pm

do you guys know whether SEO needs a confirmation that the school got the seat deposit before they make a decision?

I sent them my enrollment decision form a while ago but haven't sent the money yet to the school. I'll be sending it tommorow and just wanted to know.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:30 pm

They usually just respond within a week or two with a decision regarding your file. Generally they don't send a confirmation email telling you they have received your enrollment info.

sans

Postby sans » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:48 am

First ever post... be kind. :?

I know I saw a post ages ago about the #s of acceptances to SEO from each of the t14 schools but have forgotten where, so I'm sorry to ask, but anyone know where abouts those are posted?

I'm currently trying to decide between UChicago and GULC (people on Top Law seem to hate both, so I'm sure I'll be popular). Not that SEO is going to make or break my decision, but I think I'd really rather be at GULC, but am thinking that'll seriously hurt my chances with SEO.

I received an e-mail on 4/12 titled "Decision Available Online" only to find that my "decision" was the following:

"The Admissions Committee has reserved making a decision on your application pending recepit of your law school enrollment information. Please know that you continue to be a competitive candidate for our Corporate Law Program, and we ask that you keep our office informed of your law school Admissions status. Once you have been accepted to the law school of your choice, please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by faxing a copy of your acceptance letter and enrollment deposit..."

If they've let me go this long, maybe it means they'll take me either way... despite my less than stellar #s?

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 am

sans wrote:First ever post... be kind. :?

I know I saw a post ages ago about the #s of acceptances to SEO from each of the t14 schools but have forgotten where, so I'm sorry to ask, but anyone know where abouts those are posted?

I'm currently trying to decide between UChicago and GULC (people on Top Law seem to hate both, so I'm sure I'll be popular). Not that SEO is going to make or break my decision, but I think I'd really rather be at GULC, but am thinking that'll seriously hurt my chances with SEO.

I received an e-mail on 4/12 titled "Decision Available Online" only to find that my "decision" was the following:

"The Admissions Committee has reserved making a decision on your application pending recepit of your law school enrollment information. Please know that you continue to be a competitive candidate for our Corporate Law Program, and we ask that you keep our office informed of your law school Admissions status. Once you have been accepted to the law school of your choice, please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by faxing a copy of your acceptance letter and enrollment deposit..."

If they've let me go this long, maybe it means they'll take me either way... despite my less than stellar #s?

Hey, welcome =)

This is a fairly good stat post from earlier on: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50541&start=150#p1190107

As mentioned above, SEO was never going to make an (acceptance) decision prior to getting your seat deposit info, so you're not any worse off then you would otherwise be. The letter seems pretty positive, to be honest, so if you turn in something from the T14 you're probably in good shape. I would say this though: No matter how awesome SEO would be as an experience/leg up in hiring/etc, you should probably make your law school decision independent of it. If you go to a place that's bad for you and bomb, having been to SEO won't save you...

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Why in the HELL would you go to GULC over Chi!!! Well that might be harsh... But really your career prospects in anything are much much better at Chicago. The housing is cheaper, smaller class sizes, world renown faculty that only second to Yale, good food and beer, and we're probably going to have one of our professors nominated to be a supreme court justice.

K done with the Chicago trolling...

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:39 pm

ranovr32 wrote:

Why in the HELL would you go to GULC over Chi!!! Well that might be harsh... But really your career prospects in anything are much much better at Chicago. The housing is cheaper, smaller class sizes, world renown faculty that only second to Yale, good food and beer, and we're probably going to have one of our professors nominated to be a supreme court justice.

K done with the Chicago trolling...

You're getting good at that. Those points were rolling pretty quickly there. But seriously, Sans should probably take Chicago sans a really good reason not to. People on TLS definitely don't hate Chicago for the most part; the Georgetown hate however is somewhat deserved. It is just a very large school in a not so large legal market.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Let me make this short and sweet. You would be foolish to take GULC over Chicago for a few reasons.
1. Job opportunities...seriously. Academia, Corporate law, you name it...
2. GULC has a ton of students and a lot of ppl I talk to feel lost in the hustle of it all
3. Chicago will probably be cheaper for you in the long run
4. Well I said I would keep it short.

Please do not take GULC over Chicago...
Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Core

Postby Core » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:

Let me make this short and sweet. You would be foolish to take GULC over Chicago for a few reasons.
1. Job opportunities...seriously. Academia, Corporate law, you name it...
2. GULC has a ton of students and a lot of ppl I talk to feel lost in the hustle of it all
3. Chicago will probably be cheaper for you in the long run
4. Well I said I would could it short.

Please do not take GULC over Chicago...

+1

MusicalChairs

Postby MusicalChairs » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Long a lurker here. There may be important and private reasons (eg existing relationships or contacts) why someone might want to matriculate at one law school rather than another, or indeed be in one region of the country rather than another for law school. Chicago is physically a long way from DC. Takes time and money to travel if your ties are in one place and you are in another. Anyway, the question was whether the pick of one law school [in this case Chicago] rather than the other [GULC] would significantly affect the odds for a nod from SEO. Isn't the real answer that only SEO can definitely answer that question for this year of large applicant pools, long waits, and unpredictable outcomes, esp when non URM minorities are in the SEO mix, but that looking at the prior year stats might have some value? Why get off track with all the bashing?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:50 pm

MusicalChairs wrote:Long a lurker here. There may be important and private reasons (eg existing relationships or contacts) why someone might want to matriculate at one law school rather than another, or indeed be in one region of the country rather than another for law school. Chicago is physically a long way from DC. Takes time and money to travel if your ties are in one place and you are in another. Anyway, the question was whether the pick of one law school [in this case Chicago] rather than the other [GULC] would significantly affect the odds for a nod from SEO. Isn't the real answer that only SEO can definitely answer that question for this year of large applicant pools, long waits, and unpredictable outcomes, esp when non URM minorities are in the SEO mix, but that looking at the prior year stats might have some value? Why get off track with all the bashing?

Realistically, no one was bashing him. The URM boards are a place where we can be frank with no one offending or getting offended. GULC is a T-14, so its clearly a good school, but many argue that it is a degree mill. Chicago promises things that only HY parallel in term of job placement. Its not bashing to say that it is silly to turn down such an opportunity.

boss

Postby boss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm

In all honesty, I think being at any T14 will do. I think the interview probably impacts your chances more than which school you attend.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:47 pm

MusicalChairs wrote:Long a lurker here. There may be important and private reasons (eg existing relationships or contacts) why someone might want to matriculate at one law school rather than another, or indeed be in one region of the country rather than another for law school. Chicago is physically a long way from DC. Takes time and money to travel if your ties are in one place and you are in another. Anyway, the question was whether the pick of one law school [in this case Chicago] rather than the other [GULC] would significantly affect the odds for a nod from SEO. Isn't the real answer that only SEO can definitely answer that question for this year of large applicant pools, long waits, and unpredictable outcomes, esp when non URM minorities are in the SEO mix, but that looking at the prior year stats might have some value? Why get off track with all the bashing?

Chicago will severely bolster your chances at getting SEO as compared to GULC. Remember SEO has to market you and your JD to a firm. Some of the firms that come to SEO don't even hire out of GULC anymore.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:49 pm

boss wrote:In all honesty, I think being at any T14 will do. I think the interview probably impacts your chances more than which school you attend.

That isn't true just look some pages back where the school breakdown is posted. The only school out of the top 5-6 that was heavily represented was Penn, and they are pretty NY centric to begin with. Cornell, Duke, GULC placed barely any matriculates into SEO. To be honest though neither did Chicago, but I believe that has to do a lot more with self selection and the abysmal amount of minorities that ended up choosing Chicago in the past few years.

boss

Postby boss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:55 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
boss wrote:In all honesty, I think being at any T14 will do. I think the interview probably impacts your chances more than which school you attend.

That isn't true just look some pages back where the school breakdown is posted. The only school out of the top 5-6 that was heavily represented was Penn, and they are pretty NY centric to begin with. Cornell, Duke, GULC placed barely any matriculates into SEO. To be honest though neither did Chicago, but I believe that has to do a lot more with self selection and the abysmal amount of minorities that ended up choosing Chicago in the past few years.

...what? I can't see anything in your post that would suggest a cogent argument. I think the fact that the school list has no particular pattern but the common denominator being that they're mostly all T14 would suggest that another factor is determinative. Like I said, a good interview is probably more important than which particular T14 you go to. I am sure that they could pack their entire SEO class with nothing but HYS kids if they wanted to.

Return to “Legal Employment”