SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
coollegemex

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby coollegemex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:15 pm

RealTalk wrote:
kinch wrote:
RealTalk wrote:hey guys i have a question

i've already interviewed with them and have been accepted to Columbia. i'm gonna go there unless I get accepted to HYS who i haven't heard from yet

can I just fax SEO my deposit form to Columbia w/o really sending my deposit to CLS yet?

I just don't wanna lose a chance at SEO waiting for HYS to respond?

any advice on this dilemma?

I don't think this is a good idea...

yeah I didn't either which is why I wanted to hear from other people

I don't think my chances at HYS are any good but then again I don't wanna lose out on them by committing early to CLS

does anyone know if there is anyway you can commit to a school like Columbia w/o sending the deposit.....lets say for example you can't pay the $500 due to financial issues?

If you are that anxious about "losing your spot" just deposit at CLS. I don't think they require you to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from yet. If you get into HYS then you lose 500 bucks

RealTalk

Postby RealTalk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm

coollegemex wrote:
RealTalk wrote:
kinch wrote:

i've already interviewed with them and have been accepted to Columbia. i'm gonna go there unless I get accepted to HYS who i haven't heard from yet

can I just fax SEO my deposit form to Columbia w/o really sending my deposit to CLS yet?

yeah I didn't either which is why I wanted to hear from other people

I don't think my chances at HYS are any good but then again I don't wanna lose out on them by committing early to CLS

does anyone know if there is anyway you can commit to a school like Columbia w/o sending the deposit.....lets say for example you can't pay the $500 due to financial issues?

If you are that anxious about "losing your spot" just deposit at CLS. I don't think they require you to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from yet. If you get into HYS then you lose 500 bucks

I'm kinda in a tight bind financially so I can't stand to lose $500

is there any sort of fee waiver for the deposit like there is for the application fee?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:30 pm

kinch wrote:

Definitely not a good idea... you don't want to end up lying to both SEO and your law schools.

Best idea is to probably send a LOCI or something telling HYS your pending need for a decision in a few weeks and also notify SEO of your situation and see what they say.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Agree with NomSawyer. Honesty seems to be the best policy in this situation. And truth be told your shot at SEO is the same regardless of whether you go to HYS or Columbia. Actually it's better if you go to Columbia. But you can let them know that you have a school and are simply waiting until April to hear definitely from HYS; the Columbia acceptance will still be a plus for your app.

confuzzled888

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:07 pm

rejected from SEO yesterday after I sent a deposit to a non t14 school. Whatever.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:33 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:rejected from SEO yesterday after I sent a deposit to a non t14 school. Whatever.

My hunch is that they already have most of the decisions made and are just waiting for people to send seat deposits to notify someone.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:rejected from SEO yesterday after I sent a deposit to a non t14 school. Whatever.

Unless you cured cancer, the non t14 school is what killed you. From what I understand at the most there are 1 or 2 kids in a class that get into SEO that don't go to a t14, and its usually a USC, Vandy, UT type a deal

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:59 pm

whoa please don't do that. If you get caught you could get in major trouble. It's not worth t. Just call SEO and explain your situation to them and see what they say.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm

ranovr32 wrote:

Unless you cured cancer, the non t14 school is what killed you. From what I understand at the most there are 1 or 2 kids in a class that get into SEO that don't go to a t14, and its usually a USC, Vandy, UT type a deal

yea its dominated by the t14 with few exceptions. someone got in from george washington though.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 am

boss wrote:

My hunch is that they already have most of the decisions made and are just waiting for people to send seat deposits to notify someone.

Nope I have had my deposit to t14 in since January and still no answer. Killin me. Interviewed about two months ago now.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 am

newyorker88 wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

yea its dominated by the t14 with few exceptions. someone got in from george washington though.

This year??

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:30 am

ogman05 wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

This year??

No, in 2006. Maybe since they went to Duke undergrad that helped i dunno.

Netsirk

Postby Netsirk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:08 am

Has anyone ever called SEO and actually spoken to a person? I have tried about three phone numbers that I found on the website and no one ever answers. In fact, the number on the main page is disconnected?! I faxed over my Berkeley acceptance and Berkeley doesn't need a seat deposit, so I want to explain this to someone.

Can someone who has actually been successfull at calling SEO tell me what number they used.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Netsirk wrote:Has anyone ever called SEO and actually spoken to a person? I have tried about three phone numbers that I found on the website and no one ever answers. In fact, the number on the main page is disconnected?! I faxed over my Berkeley acceptance and Berkeley doesn't need a seat deposit, so I want to explain this to someone.

Can someone who has actually been successfull at calling SEO tell me what number they used.

just fax over a letter to that effect to let them know.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Does SEO check its emails? I emailed them and received an out of office notice dated to November 30th. Wondering if it's just something they forgot to change or if they really haven't checked emails for a long time.

Laina

Postby Laina » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:26 pm

boss wrote:Does SEO check its emails? I emailed them and received an out of office notice dated to November 30th. Wondering if it's just something they forgot to change or if they really haven't checked emails for a long time.

I'm wondering the same thing. I got the Out of Office auto-response, which seems pretty shady. I emailed a different e-mail address, the one they sent their initial application advertisement from, but I haven't gotten a response from it. Maybe we are better off just calling?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Laina wrote:
boss wrote:Does SEO check its emails? I emailed them and received an out of office notice dated to November 30th. Wondering if it's just something they forgot to change or if they really haven't checked emails for a long time.

I'm wondering the same thing. I got the Out of Office auto-response, which seems pretty shady. I emailed a different e-mail address, the one they sent their initial application advertisement from, but I haven't gotten a response from it. Maybe we are better off just calling?

Email whoever you intervied with.

Their email will be the first letter of their first nmae followed by their last name.

So mike jones is
mjones@seo-usa.org

yung

Postby yung » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:57 am

hey I just signed up for an interview, I am wondering if I am pretty set to attend fordham (giving that the miracle of me getting into either NYU or Columbia) does not occur, should I even bother?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:22 am

yung wrote:hey I just signed up for an interview, I am wondering if I am pretty set to attend fordham (giving that the miracle of me getting into either NYU or Columbia) does not occur, should I even bother?

The only reason not to do it would be if the financial cost outweighs the benefit (which is modified by odds you believe you have). If you live near an interview site or don't have financial concerns, you may as well give yourself the chance, however small it may be. I wouldn't have interviewed if I'd had to travel to NY or DC, but I also didn't think I'd get into a T14 that I'd be willing to attend at full sticker (and I haven't, nor will I in all likelihood), so the travel expense wouldn't have been worthwhile had that been required of me. Given the low cost of travel to my interview site (and despite the depressingly small chance that I'd be taken if enrolled at WashU, since I hadn't been accepted to Vandy yet), I decided it was worth it to give myself a shot. You'll have to weight the cost versus potential benefit for your own situation... but remember, if nothing else, it's great practice for OCI :lol:

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:42 pm

yung wrote:hey I just signed up for an interview, I am wondering if I am pretty set to attend fordham (giving that the miracle of me getting into either NYU or Columbia) does not occur, should I even bother?

If your a complete fucking Rock Star that spits out eloquent golden quadrilles every time you open your mouth....

If your like the rest of us but haven't interviewed yet this late in the game, I would save your money. Sorry to be a bummer but just looking out. SEO is all about the t-14 schools, really the t-6, so it would be loooooooong shot. Like Murray St beating Vanderbilt in the last 2 seconds of the game by a guy who averages 11pts a game that I have never heard of long shot.

Do you like run-on sentences?

Laina

Postby Laina » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

You might have figured this out by now, but looks like they just forgot to change it. They responded to an e-mail I sent to that account today.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Just chiming in to say that waiting suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:28 pm

ranovr32 wrote:

If your a complete fucking Rock Star that spits out eloquent golden quadrilles every time you open your mouth....

If your like the rest of us but haven't interviewed yet this late in the game, I would save your money. Sorry to be a bummer but just looking out. SEO is all about the t-14 schools, really the t-6, so it would be loooooooong shot. Like Murray St beating Vanderbilt in the last 2 seconds of the game by a guy who averages 11pts a game that I have never heard of long shot.

Why do people say that, instead of the T5?
Chicago placed 1 student into SEO last year.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Core wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

Because NYU isn't top 5 lol On a serious note neither is Penn, but they placed more people then every school with the exception of Harvard and Columbia. I believe it is self selection. Besides I have a very good source that says there is already at least 1 Chicago matriculate who has been accepted : )

Core

Postby Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:09 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
Core wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

Because NYU isn't top 5 lol On a serious note neither is Penn, but they placed more people then every school with the exception of Harvard and Columbia. I believe it is self selection. Besides I have a very good source that says there is already at least 1 Chicago matriculate who has been accepted : )

I hope you're right :/

Return to “Legal Employment”