SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
brownbears

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by brownbears » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:22 am

-
Last edited by brownbears on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:36 pm

magnumxlv wrote:
jaen78 wrote:Just had my interview in NYC today. Not nearly as intimidating as I thought; actually a very decent interview. For those of you still waiting to interview, don't stress; it's not nearly as bad as people on this forum made it out to be. Good luck to all!
My advice would be the opposite of yours: people should prepare and be ready for a "stress" interview. I thought the other interviewees were exaggerating as well, but not adequately heeding their advice really tripped me up, as I have never a "stress" interview before, and didn't really expect it to go the way it went.

I think things also depend on who, if anyone, interviews youalong with the "main" interviewer. I interviewed with Mikaela Davis, but all she did was ask the actual questions off a list. Two SEO alumni from Cravath and Skadden asked tons of followups and were constantly trying to trip me up and did the VAST majority of the speaking. For those who've interviewed so far have you had multiple interviewers as well? Alumni? What firms were they from?

I've had a fair number of interviews in the past (including with panels), but this was the first that actively seemed like they were trying to get me to fail and/or mess up.
I was under the impression Ms. Davis did most of the questioning b/c that's how my interview was. I can see how it would have varied if the alums did a lot. There was only one alum in the room with me and she was very friendly. I think she was from Dewey and Lebouf, but I can't remember for sure. I guess maybe I just got lucky, b/c I did not feel like my interview was a stress interview at all. Pretty much the opposite, actually. Here's to any future interviewees getting to meet with the alum I met with!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:06 pm

don't think Berkeley's the reason I got rejected--I also got into Chicago. Who knows why I got rejected (or why I didn't even get an interview)? Maybe I just rubbed them the wrong way. Point is--don't assume they won't take you if you didn't get into HYSCCN. FWIW, I know a girl at GULC now who got SEO last year. Don't lose hope! :)
It seems that you've been in the workforce from your posts? Have you been working for a while? I wonder if that may have something to do with it as they do mention that the program is intended for graduating seniors and recent graduates. If not the only other thing I could see it being would be your lsat......which is complete BS if that is the case. You got into several top 10 law schools. That says that you were good enough for the schools, not only is SEO elitist they seem to be getting stat obsessed as well. :roll:

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:32 pm

kurama20 wrote:
don't think Berkeley's the reason I got rejected--I also got into Chicago. Who knows why I got rejected (or why I didn't even get an interview)? Maybe I just rubbed them the wrong way. Point is--don't assume they won't take you if you didn't get into HYSCCN. FWIW, I know a girl at GULC now who got SEO last year. Don't lose hope! :)
It seems that you've been in the workforce from your posts? Have you been working for a while? I wonder if that may have something to do with it as they do mention that the program is intended for graduating seniors and recent graduates. If not the only other thing I could see it being would be your lsat......which is complete BS if that is the case. You got into several top 10 law schools. That says that you were good enough for the schools, not only is SEO elitist they seem to be getting stat obsessed as well. :roll:
Definitely wasn't a workforce issue since I know others (with higher LSATs) who have been working as long as I've been working (less than 2 years) and still got interviews.

I think it was my LSAT score and/or the fact that not one person from my UG is on their staff or list of alumni contacts (based on their contact list: http://www.seo-usa.org/career/page.aspx?pageID=13). One SEO CL alumnus told me that my background in finance might have been the reason since law firms aren't looking for people with that kind of background right now because of the shitty economy.

Frankly, I don't care anymore since I'll be good in the LR. Would've been nice; congrats to those that got it. It's a great program and I'm glad that some URMs will land it and get whatever career boost (and 1L summer judicial clerkship opportunity) that comes with it.

jubileeez

New

Post by jubileeez » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
jaen78 wrote:I think almost everyone at the NYC location had Mekailia Davis.
Not I.
Me neither.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 pm

They're admitting people via phone call Monday.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:39 pm

treple wrote:They're admitting people via phone call Monday.
oooooo. I'll be anxiously not awaiting a phone call, as I still haven't faxed them acceptances yet.

How do you know this?

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:46 pm

I received an e-mail to that effect.

brownbears

New

Post by brownbears » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:53 pm

treple wrote:I received an e-mail to that effect.
man, why do i never get any emails from them. well this is def good to know at least

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:01 pm

brownbears wrote:
man, why do i never get any emails from them. well this is def good to know at least
Take any communication from SEO with a grain of salt. I'm still smarting from the "You'll know by March 22nd" email.

brownbears

New

Post by brownbears » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:26 pm

just curious but did you apply on the feb deadline?

dachillchick

New

Post by dachillchick » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:53 pm

Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:28 am

dachillchick wrote:Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.
low. It's very NY centric.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:36 am

MissMaroon wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Ack, sorry to hear that Maroon.

But wow, at least they're starting to make decisions...

I am thinking about depositing early at Penn in hopes of getting word from SEO. But I am wondering if they will STILL hold off till May since most applicants won't respond till then. Thoughts?
Honestly, I don't think it'll help you. They are just so disorganized and unpredictable that I wouldn't go to such lengths based on any assumptions. Are you waiting to hear from any other schools?
I am. I think I would only turn down Penn for Harvard (maybe Stanford) though, and obviously that's not super-likely, so I wouldn't be screwing myself over too bad. "Worst case" I get into Harvard and lose my $500 deposit at Penn... I don't want to lose even that much money on SEO though. :/ Also might be able to get the money back, depending.

Ugh, did anyone else get the email treple did? :/ And treple, haven't you deposited at Harvard already?

argo

New

Post by argo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 am

Being in that I am in the Internet business I know that SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. Can someone please educate this old fool what it stands for in this context? I'm too lazy to read through the 23 pages. Thanks.

brownbears

New

Post by brownbears » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 pm

argo wrote:Being in that I am in the Internet business I know that SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. Can someone please educate this old fool what it stands for in this context? I'm too lazy to read through the 23 pages. Thanks.
http://www.seo-usa.org/career/page.aspx?pageID=96

brownbears

New

Post by brownbears » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:20 pm

-
Last edited by brownbears on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawbeast1

New

Post by lawbeast1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.

I am an SEO alum. SEO places students in DC based on firm need (the DC program started last year).

BTW Firms, Law Schools and SEO check these blogs on a regular basis. A few students at my firm have already been tracked on here. Negative comments are not so wise and can reflect poorly on your app (at least has been the case at my firm).

I would also like to emphasize that SEO interviews are critical behavior interviews and are intended to critique your behavior in several ways. They have a pretty comprehensive interview tips section(if anyone took the time to read it) that comes along with the interview invite- I volunteer to interview in other regions.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your summer before law school!!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm

lawbeast1 wrote:Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.

I am an SEO alum. SEO places students in DC based on firm need (the DC program started last year).

BTW Firms, Law Schools and SEO check these blogs on a regular basis. A few students at my firm have already been tracked on here. Negative comments are not so wise and can reflect poorly on your app (at least has been the case at my firm).

I would also like to emphasize that SEO interviews are critical behavior interviews and are intended to critique your behavior in several ways. They have a pretty comprehensive interview tips section(if anyone took the time to read it) that comes along with the interview invite- I volunteer to interview in other regions.

Interesting. I always did feel that everything I did was of monumental significance, but others said it was insanity to feel that individuals were so important that resources would be dedicated to tracking them down. Can you comment on what you mean by tracked and why SEO can be so abrupt with people seeking clarification about their account status?

brownbears

New

Post by brownbears » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Sooooo, anyone hear anything today?

lawbeast1

New

Post by lawbeast1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.

Interesting. I always did feel that everything I did was of monumental significance, but others said it was insanity to feel that individuals were so important that resources would be dedicated to tracking them down. Can you comment on what you mean by tracked and why SEO can be so abrupt with people seeking clarification about their account status?

Not sure what you mean by abrupt? The internet facilitates all kind of employer unofficial "background searches". Budgets are tight, so companies and programs are trying their best to select candidates that best fit their goals (and not waste salary money on people who dont meet their standards). This will include unsavory behavior that reflects on soft skills such as an individuals judgement, maturity, flexibility, etc. I mean this extends beyond the basic googling of a persons name.

Applicant information is provided by the individual. For instance in the situation at my firm, we had all the students information through resume and supporting documents; it is not very hard to use that information in reviewing these blogs and other sites for correlating identification. I mean some of you on here actually have real pictures lol. These are very basic blogs!

I can understand however, wanting to know what is going on. I know at my firm we received a few hundred applications (all from great students) for about 10 positions. It took quite a while to give each application some review before making first and second cuts. I don't know the SEO process in and out, but I know they receive thousands of apps for all seven programs and operate with a relatively small staff. So it probably takes a while to give all the competitive apps some consideration.

hope that helps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:20 pm

lawbeast1 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Not sure what you mean by abrupt? The internet facilitates all kind of employer unofficial "background searches". Budgets are tight, so companies and programs are trying their best to select candidates that best fit their goals (and not waste salary money on people who dont meet their standards). This will include unsavory behavior that reflects on soft skills such as an individuals judgement, maturity, flexibility, etc. I mean this extends beyond the basic googling of a persons name.

Applicant information is provided by the individual. For instance in the situation at my firm, we had all the students information through resume and supporting documents; it is not very hard to use that information in reviewing these blogs and other sites for correlating identification. I mean some of you on here actually have real pictures lol. These are very basic blogs!

I can understand however, wanting to know what is going on. I know at my firm we received a few hundred applications (all from great students) for about 10 positions. It took quite a while to give each application some review before making first and second cuts. I don't know the SEO process in and out, but I know they receive thousands of apps for all seven programs and operate with a relatively small staff. So it probably takes a while to give all the competitive apps some consideration.

hope that helps!
Hi lawbeast thanks for posting! I know there are a lot of people on here (including some who will never make a single post) who appreciate the information you just provided. From what you said it seems that the decisions on whether or not someone is placed with a firm is made by the firm itself and not necessarily by SEO--is that correct? Does SEO base whether or not it picks an applicant based on if there is already a firm who has chosen the applicant? Thanks in advance.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:22 pm

lawbeast1 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

hope that helps!
How does SEO view applicants that commit to Berkeley?

lawbeast1

New

Post by lawbeast1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm

cougarlive wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

hope that helps!
Hi lawbeast thanks for posting! I know there are a lot of people on here (including some who will never make a single post) who appreciate the information you just provided. From what you said it seems that the decisions on whether or not someone is placed with a firm is made by the firm itself and not necessarily by SEO--is that correct? Does SEO base whether or not it picks an applicant based on if there is already a firm who has chosen the applicant? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the confusion. When I referenced my firm application numbers I was referring to summer paralegal positions we have for pre-law students; not related to SEO at all. I don't work with an SEO partner firm (but I am working on having my law firm added as a partner).
SEO partner firms have nothing to do with the admission's process. The firms entrust placement entirely to SEO; which is probably another reason the admissions process is a bit daunting. You never meet with the firm before hand, or get interviewed by them. SEO does its placement entirely internal and the firms seem to be happy with it!

hope thats a bit more clear sorry again for the confusion.

lawbeast1

New

Post by lawbeast1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

hope that helps!
How does SEO view applicants that commit to Berkeley?
Berkeley is a great school. Congrats if you got admitted; one of my colleagues went to Boalt and loved it! Boalt is a great school.

I am pretty sure I met a very recent SEO CL alum at a recent networking event that went to Boalt...may have even been an alum from last years class...not 100% sure but pretty sure it was Boalt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”