SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeLeague22

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by JusticeLeague22 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back about non-NY placement? :D

I'm still waiting a well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:26 pm

JusticeLeague22 wrote:
rfhassan wrote:
JusticeLeague22 wrote:
rfhassan wrote:just got the email! so excited!! i'm still waiting on placement to my firm. So nervous about finding housing though :shock: If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it so much!!!

Congrats!! So excited for you!!

Thanks so much!!! Hoping for good news for you as well!

Thanks! Trying to be patient with their timeline. Hoping for the best!
Congrats! what region were you placed in? Also when did you deposit?

rfhassan

New

Post by rfhassan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mbear5

New

Post by Mbear5 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Does anyone know if income from SEO negatively impacts financial aid packages?

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Mbear5 wrote:Does anyone know if income from SEO negatively impacts financial aid packages?
It can at HYS. For H, if your income exceeds $12,000 for the summer, you have to contribute some amount beyond the $2,500 minimum that everyone has to. SEO won't drastically reduce your grants though.

Other schools tend to be more lax when it comes to financial aid since they're not all that generous with it in the first place, but I'd check with your school directly to be sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2016 8:57 am

gamerish wrote:
Mbear5 wrote:Does anyone know if income from SEO negatively impacts financial aid packages?
It can at HYS. For H, if your income exceeds $12,000 for the summer, you have to contribute some amount beyond the $2,500 minimum that everyone has to. SEO won't drastically reduce your grants though.

Other schools tend to be more lax when it comes to financial aid since they're not all that generous with it in the first place, but I'd check with your school directly to be sure.
Can you please clarify what this $2,500 minimum is? I'll be attending HLS and I don't remember hearing anything about that. Thanks.

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Mon May 02, 2016 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
gamerish wrote:

Can you please clarify what this $2,500 minimum is? I'll be attending HLS and I don't remember hearing anything about that. Thanks.
Everyone has to contribute at least $2,500 regardless of their earnings over the summer. The $2,500 supplemental loan that was included in your fin aid offer is for covering this if you can't afford to pay it outright.

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/basics- ... resources/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Anybody not hear back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2016 11:00 am

Can someone from last year who worked in NY mind commenting on how much they made (weekly/biweekly/whole summer. Whatever works)? Trying to gauge because it will influence how much I'm willing to pay for housing this summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

Also, can anyone from NYC comment on how long it took for them to get placed into a firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Thu May 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, can anyone from NYC comment on how long it took for them to get placed into a firm?
I got my firm place yesterday and my acceptance about a week ago.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Bumping this thread.

Any tips for those of us who are planning on applying ?

Any one who just finished SEO willing to talk about the expierence?

Does it still hold true that a T14 acceptance is the best way to get into this program?

And I'm sure this has been answered, but do you have to have a shown interest in corporate law to get into the program?

Any input would be great!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone from last year who worked in NY mind commenting on how much they made (weekly/biweekly/whole summer. Whatever works)? Trying to gauge because it will influence how much I'm willing to pay for housing this summer.

It depends on the firm! Average is about $1200-1300 a week.

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:52 am

dietcoke1 wrote:Bumping this thread.

Does it still hold true that a T14 acceptance is the best way to get into this program?

And I'm sure this has been answered, but do you have to have a shown interest in corporate law to get into the program?

The best tip I can give is to have someone from the program recommend you. There were maybe 2 or 3 kids who were outside t-14 (not including UT), but yes, your best chance is to be in the t-14 sweet spot. Happy to answer any other questions! It was an awesome experience that I'm eternally grateful for.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 pm

Itstatertot wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:Bumping this thread.

The best tip I can give is to have someone from the program recommend you. There were maybe 2 or 3 kids who were outside t-14 (not including UT), but yes, your best chance is to be in the t-14 sweet spot. Happy to answer any other questions! It was an awesome experience that I'm eternally grateful for.
Thank you! I don't suppose there is any way to meet an SEO alum other than to already happen to know one right?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Also bumping this thread.

Did everyone who was accepted last year have prior business experience on their resume?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 pm

I was accepted a couple of years ago. I had government work experience but nothing corporate. People my year came from all different types of backgrounds from k-jd, government, TFA, to investment banking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was accepted a couple of years ago. I had government work experience but nothing corporate. People my year came from all different types of backgrounds from k-jd, government, TFA, to investment banking.
I second this. Prior business experience is not a requirement. The point of SEO Law is to provide business experience in the law firm context before going to law school.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Last edited by BrainsyK on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:01 pm

BrainsyK wrote:Hi all,

I have some questions about this program.

1) Are Canadians planning to attend a US school eligible for this program?

2) I've signed up for the SEO Careers website, but I don't see anything related to my law school apps or if I'm accepted yet. Is this where I'm supposed to have signed up? I've picked law as my primary area of interest. Do I just have to wait for a few days for the law related parts of the app to appear? I read that somewhere.

3) They do asked me for partner interest and contacts. Does that just mean where I've worked in terms of their partners?

4) Does my personal statement have to be related to Corporate Law or can I just use my PS that I used in LS apps?

Thanks for any answers ahead of time.
Interested in the Canadian part as well. From what I saw, you had to be a U.S citizen I believe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not SEO Law would still be a good experience for someone hoping to do public interest? I think it sounds like an incredible experience regardless, but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. Would I be better off seeking a PI-related summer internship instead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not SEO Law would still be a good experience for someone hoping to do public interest? I think it sounds like an incredible experience regardless, but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. Would I be better off seeking a PI-related summer internship instead?
I did SEO the summer before law school. Ended up doing another firm my 1L summer, and, for 2L, ultimately decided to forego OCI and went the PI/govt route instead. Thinking back on it, I think it was a valuable experience. I still talk to some of my SEO classmates today -- they're wonderful people and also immensely valuable connections to have. I feel like my experience at my SEO firm was useful in that it kind of gave me a leg up on other SAs at the firm during my 1L summer in that: I knew how firms operated generally, I knew how to talk to partners and associates, I knew how to use firm systems (document templates, proofreaders, etc.), etc. I felt like I had a much easier transition than my coworkers did.

And, even more, it was really useful in helping me to figure out if going to a firm was something I really wanted to do. I ended up trying it, disliked it, gave it another go, and ultimately decided that it wasn't for me and I would be happier in PI/govt work. But I'm glad I got to try it and glad I had exposure early on, as it certainly was useful for talking about in interviews, and the experience I gained in the job was transferrable to other jobs I had later on during my law school career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did SEO the summer before law school. Ended up doing another firm my 1L summer, and, for 2L, ultimately decided to forego OCI and went the PI/govt route instead. Thinking back on it, I think it was a valuable experience. I still talk to some of my SEO classmates today -- they're wonderful people and also immensely valuable connections to have. I feel like my experience at my SEO firm was useful in that it kind of gave me a leg up on other SAs at the firm during my 1L summer in that: I knew how firms operated generally, I knew how to talk to partners and associates, I knew how to use firm systems (document templates, proofreaders, etc.), etc. I felt like I had a much easier transition than my coworkers did.

And, even more, it was really useful in helping me to figure out if going to a firm was something I really wanted to do. I ended up trying it, disliked it, gave it another go, and ultimately decided that it wasn't for me and I would be happier in PI/govt work. But I'm glad I got to try it and glad I had exposure early on, as it certainly was useful for talking about in interviews, and the experience I gained in the job was transferrable to other jobs I had later on during my law school career.
Thank you so much! This was really helpful to hear, and it sounds like it would definitely be a worthwhile experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:49 am

Does anyone know if any of the places SEO partners with would be good for someone interested in entertainment law?

Also... Has anyone received an interview request this cycle yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”