SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised to hear that people who deposited at CCN and T3 schools were denied. This could be due to them trying to make decisions in a short amount of time. I'm sorry to everyone who gets rejected. Although doing SEO is by no means a make or break, it's hard to wait to hear back from a decision on anything (job, school, potential fiance...)
Or it could be that the school of choice matters less than other things, like the interview...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised to hear that people who deposited at CCN and T3 schools were denied. This could be due to them trying to make decisions in a short amount of time. I'm sorry to everyone who gets rejected. Although doing SEO is by no means a make or break, it's hard to wait to hear back from a decision on anything (job, school, potential fiance...)
Or it could be that the school of choice matters less than other things, like the interview...

TCR..... As an outside of T14 admit I have to say the other aspects of the process must carry weight. My numbers were good, my LOR I know were great, and I felt like I killed the interview. With all the HYS, CCN applicants I felt I had a very weak chance.

The numbers don't lie though, and the majority of admits will come from T10, T5 schools. It'd be really interesting to see how the expanded class this year affects that pattern.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Wed May 09, 2012 11:11 pm

JustE wrote:Just got dinged. I'm actually really happy I can finally move forward with my summer plans. I never felt entitled about it, but the delays in the notifications this year made this much more stressful than it should have been.
Damn man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully I'll be in that amazing house of yours and we'll still get a chance to meet.

Sorry to everyone that got dinged, I hope everyone I don't get to meet has a good 1L year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 3:26 am

Did anyone get in who had more than a year of work experience? I know at least 3 of us who applied and all three were denied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get in who had more than a year of work experience? I know at least 3 of us who applied and all three were denied.
Now that just sounds ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get in who had more than a year of work experience? I know at least 3 of us who applied and all three were denied.
Why's that?

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am

Yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why's that?
Because I have 4-5 years full time work experience, and I got in. It seems ridiculous to think that someone who has demonstrated that they can work in a professional atmosphere would be barred for that very same reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why's that?
Because I have 4-5 years full time work experience, and I got in. It seems ridiculous to think that someone who has demonstrated that they can work in a professional atmosphere would be barred for that very same reason.
Awesome. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Harvard attendee here that was rejected yesterday... There is definitely more weight than just the school you're going to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 2:40 pm

I felt that my interview went well and my recommender loves me and can write well, so i'm not entirely sure what it was. oh well. time to move on.

The only thing I thought could have hurt me was that I kept trying to contact them about the status of my submitted documents. I had to call and email several times to get a confirmation of my transcript being received. However, I thought that it was necessary to follow up that they received all the documents and everything was complete.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 pm

4 yrs work experience, rejected as well (not the OP). Not saying that they "barred" people for having significant WE, but maybe they generally prefer people with less/who are not as far removed from college...blank(er) slate = more maleable/easier to train; belief that they will possibly get more out of the internship since they've had fewer professional experiences etc. etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Do we think there was any advantage to applying early/interviewing in person? I made it a point to do both, and in retrospect I don't think it helped my chances at all...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4 yrs work experience, rejected as well (not the OP). Not saying that they "barred" people for having significant WE, but maybe they generally prefer people with less/who are not as far removed from college...blank(er) slate = more maleable/easier to train; belief that they will possibly get more out of the internship since they've had fewer professional experiences etc. etc.
My thoughts exactly. Interviews went well. I did deposit at a lower T-14. Guess NYU would have helped, but I really didn't want to spend 3 years there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Does anyone know how many weeks we will get paid? Do we get paid for CLI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how many weeks we will get paid? Do we get paid for CLI?

+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 am

+2

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 am

Alumni here. You get paid for CLI by your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Alumni here. You get paid for CLI by your firm.

Thanks! Also, how soon do you typically receive your first check? Moving up is causing some cash flow problems and I'm wondering how long I should plan to not have that income.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 am

You will be put on the firm's schedule. If you get in right when they give out paychecks, you might get one (but you wouldn't have worked any hours by then). If you get in the middle of the cycle, you might get one (one week's worth), etc. etc. No firm advances you money though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Any more firm placement activity.... They said we are supposed to hear by the end of the week

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Fri May 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more firm placement activity.... They said we are supposed to hear by the end of the week
I haven't heard anything yet...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Damn, that sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I haven't gotten my placement either...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 12, 2012 1:40 am

Same. I'm not sure if they have gotten to DC or NYC yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”