SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
solidusardet

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by solidusardet » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:27 am

Before you all get deeper into what is invariably going to be an affirmative action debate (read: flamewar), let us be clear about something.

Whatever disparity exists in the achievement gap is the result of the disparity in educational attainment between race subgroups. The basic premise is this - the better educated one's parents, the more likely the child is to be well educated, thus having better academic and income-earning opportunities. Obviously, this sort of causal relationship is skewed to the detriment of blacks, hispanics, and native americans: they tend to have less educational attainment, more single parent households, and lower income than their white peers, which, in turn, affects future academic and income outcomes.

Whatever social stratification we experience in America is not defined by genetics or one's skin color. The social infirmity caused by socioeconomic stratification along race lines has nothing to do with culture or skin color, but rather the education of one's parents and the ability for a student to pursue his or her goals. Constraints, like low income, language barriers, domestic issues, and -some- (not all) sociological influences can have an effect, and the fact is they simply tend to be more pronounced and prevalent for minority subgroups than whites.

Until we figure out, as a country, how to improve educational opportunities for all citizens - not just the wealthy or the privileged - we will continue to face obstacles across all lines - white, black, yellow, and brown.

Finally, whatever benefits are conferred upon underrepresented minorities who aspire for the best schools and better opportunities are really not that big of a deal; there are so very few black, hispanic, and native american prospective applicants that whatever benefit they do get - particularly at the elite schools or in programs like SEO - has comparatively little to do with non-minorities' ability to succeed. You only have to look at the statistics - 4% representation for blacks, hispanics, and native americans (combined?) with even less representation in those coveted, high paying "biglaw" jobs. Trust me - the minority kid getting an internship through SEO is not going to keep you from getting the six figure job.

solidusardet

New

Post by solidusardet » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:29 am

Oh, and SEO is legit. You can get a great job and meet some new people, though the prospect of moving to NY is kind of scary for a lot of people.

I'm surprised by the anecdotes in regards to admission being implicitly dependent upon admission to a tier-14 school, but nonetheless, it is worth looking in to.

I'm still curious as to how the hell they got my address and why they sent me this corporate law schtick. I imagine is has something to do with one of my applications, which was sent to a t-14. Maybe they have some sort of referral system in place.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:19 pm

kurla88 wrote:...So, wars. Other than that, this thread is pretty helpful! Thanks, folks.

Some more questions, if anyone has answers:

Since part of it is classes, I'm assuming interns get to know each other a bit? How much? Do they have multiple interns at each firm? I am afraid of being all by my lonesome in NYC for the first time. :O If I'm lucky enough to get it...
Hmm as far as I can tell from reading the thread on BLSD, it seems that some of the firms have more than one SEO intern, while others have only one... I think it just depends which firm you end up being placed with. But yes, they have some kind of orientation program/the classes to get the interns in touch with one another.

maikins

New

Post by maikins » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:17 pm

I got an invite for interview back almost immediately after applying. Was I really selected, or is the first round just an auto-invite?

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:53 pm

maikins wrote:I got an invite for interview back almost immediately after applying. Was I really selected, or is the first round just an auto-invite?
hmm i'm curious about this too. has anyone applied and not yet heard back re: interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:06 am

blackprince206 wrote:
silver11 wrote:What are the advantages of doing this?
This guy is a biggot you guys...do not talk to him...he and a bunch of other white guys have ganged up on me and other Blacks on other posts.

BLACK, INDIAN, HISPANIC AND OTHER ETHNIC MINORITIES...this guy needs to go!!

Does anyone else think I'm a bigot or that I don't like minorities? I will stop using this forum if someone tells me that I'm a bigot and I "gang up" on minorities..

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:19 am

silver11 wrote:
blackprince206 wrote:
silver11 wrote:What are the advantages of doing this?
This guy is a biggot you guys...do not talk to him...he and a bunch of other white guys have ganged up on me and other Blacks on other posts.

BLACK, INDIAN, HISPANIC AND OTHER ETHNIC MINORITIES...this guy needs to go!!

Does anyone else think I'm a bigot or that I don't like minorities? I will stop using this forum if someone tells me that I'm a bigot and I "gang up" on minorities..

I've seen many of your posts silver and have never seen any bigoted sentiments. I've also seen many of blackprince's, and in almost every thread he gets involved in he accuses somebody of racism, no matter what the context of the debate. Don't take it personally.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:22 am

waldodanto wrote: I've seen many of your posts silver and have never seen any bigoted sentiments. I've also seen many of blackprince's, and in almost every thread he gets involved in he accuses somebody of racism, no matter what the context of the debate. Don't take it personally.
I've read a fair number of your posts silver, and a couple of BP's. I'm with waldodanto on this one. You're cool in my book.

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks guys I guess I'll continue my run as the most anxious TLSer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:31 am

Haha, I think there's a great deal of competition for that particular title. You're already into some great schools, I think you've lost the edge.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 am

BlackPrince writes the most incoherent posts, can't spell basic words (bigot, not biggot, dipshit) correctly, and he thinks he deserves to get into a T14 with T30 numbers. Massively inflated sense of self worth, overactive racial awareness, and general douchebaggery all make blackprince my least favorite poster.

You. Are. A. Joke.

bobina

New

Post by bobina » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:14 am

pithypike wrote:BlackPrince writes the most incoherent posts, can't spell basic words (bigot, not biggot, dipshit) correctly, and he thinks he deserves to get into a T14 with T30 numbers. Massively inflated sense of self worth, overactive racial awareness, and general douchebaggery all make blackprince my least favorite poster.

You. Are. A. Joke.
hahahaha, so true. He is by far the most irritating poster.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:27 pm

I was going to respond to blackprince's post, but Bobina covered it all.

I'll step aside and let her continue deflating your undeserved sense of entitlement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

micwrecka45

New

Post by micwrecka45 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:45 pm

btw, blackprince, your characterization of asians is way wrong. asians do not see themselves as "almost white" although your point about whites seeing asians as a nonthreatening culture probably has some weight due to the fact that the values that asian cultures stress can be characterized as more on the passive side.

and while blacks undoubtedly have the distinction of being the only immigrant group forced to come here, the disorientation that forced displacement instills is not a big issue with african americans these days who are far more integrated into american culture than asians who are often viewed as perpetual foreigners. the economic distress that has been caused by slavery and the racism that followed is more along a valid lines of argument.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:01 pm

micwrecka45 wrote:btw, blackprince, your characterization of asians is way wrong. asians do not see themselves as "almost white" although your point about whites seeing asians as a nonthreatening culture probably has some weight due to the fact that the values that asian cultures stress can be characterized as more on the passive side.

and while blacks undoubtedly have the distinction of being the only immigrant group forced to come here, the disorientation that forced displacement instills is not a big issue with african americans these days who are far more integrated into american culture than asians who are often viewed as perpetual foreigners. the economic distress that has been caused by slavery and the racism that followed is more along a valid lines of argument.
I see issues with the no Asian president argument too, as well the pretty strange interpretation of the "model minority" concept. However, I'm operating under the philosophy of 'do not feet the trolls.'

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 pm

blackprince206 wrote: My friend, comparing other immigrant groups to American born Blacks is comparing apples to oranges.
blackprince206 wrote:
Name the only immigrant group came here under durress and coersion? (Jeopardy music pleeeeze?)

African slaves! There's a difference between immigrating by "choice" and immigrating by "force". As the only such immigrant group, Blacks are a "political class", not an "economic" one like other immigrant groups (Read Sociology Prof. Al Black - Univ. of Washington). That is, our enfranchisement has always depended upon political advancements as much or more than economic advancements. This is why you never hear Asians complaining that there's no Asian President. They don't need one; they have Blacks, Indians and Latinos to fight their political battles for them. Secondly, they are more accepted by whites and do not face the inmstitutional barriers we face. Their problems are primarily economic, as with all other immigrant groups. Blacks must fight on both fronts b/c the only reason we were free was Law...and we have to ensure that the law will continue to be followed.
I changed the order to point out that you've made a huge logical leap here. You start with talking about Blacks being the ONLY immigrant group immigrating by force. You then call them a political class. Finally, you state that Blacks, Indians and Latinos fight political battles. You've justified why Blacks fight political battles but failed to explain Indians and Latinos. Essentially, you've started lumping racial groups in bundles without providing justification -- Work on this and you might have a higher LSAT.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:59 am

I'm glad you could finally admit the URM boost is very real.

Now if you can make the leap to the fact that you benefit from this boost, than we are making real progress.

Bobina will be getting in to schools just as good as whichever you end up at, but she'll be doing it via her intelligence, not skin color. I wouldn't knock that, it just makes you look like an even bigger dumbass.

And optomystic? Really? If you are going to argue you deserve T14 based on merit, I suggest you not fuck up such basic words. Dipshit.

Edit: If you really think you qualify for T14 without URM status, then why don't you decline to disclose your race? Then you can know for sure it is merit, not URM boost, that got you in.

You'll end up rejected across the board for T14, but at least you'll know you earned it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:46 am

pithypike wrote:I'm glad you could finally admit the URM boost is very real.

Now if you can make the leap to the fact that you benefit from this boost, than we are making real progress.

Bobina will be getting in to schools just as good as whichever you end up at, but she'll be doing it via her intelligence, not skin color. I wouldn't knock that, it just makes you look like an even bigger dumbass.

And optomystic? Really? If you are going to argue you deserve T14 based on merit, I suggest you not fuck up such basic words. Dipshit.

Edit: If you really think you qualify for T14 without URM status, then why don't you decline to disclose your race? Then you can know for sure it is merit, not URM boost, that got you in.

You'll end up rejected across the board for T14, but at least you'll know you earned it.
Pithypike, each is entitled to his or her own opinion, but you shouldn't be writing things like this in the SEO thread, it's distasteful; neither you nor anyone else on this board is entitled to judge or know the merits of anyone's acceptance into any law school. If you believe that higher gpa + higher lsat = undoubtedly higher intelligence then that is your business, and you should be quite careful how you associate one's race with such beliefs. Your post above shows absolutely no class.

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:56 am

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:

Pithypike, each is entitled to his or her own opinion, but you shouldn't be writing things like this in the SEO thread, it's distasteful; neither you nor anyone else on this board is entitled to judge or know the merits of anyone's acceptance into any law school. If you believe that higher gpa + higher lsat = undoubtedly higher intelligence then that is your business, and you should be quite careful how you associate one's race with such beliefs. Your post above shows absolutely no class.

+1. If you want to argue with blackprince, I feel like you should do it in its own thread.

micwrecka45

New

Post by micwrecka45 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:46 am

blackprince206 wrote:
treple wrote:
blackprince206 wrote: My friend, comparing other immigrant groups to American born Blacks is comparing apples to oranges.
blackprince206 wrote:
Name the only immigrant group came here under durress and coersion? (Jeopardy music pleeeeze?)

African slaves! There's a difference between immigrating by "choice" and immigrating by "force". As the only such immigrant group, Blacks are a "political class", not an "economic" one like other immigrant groups (Read Sociology Prof. Al Black - Univ. of Washington). That is, our enfranchisement has always depended upon political advancements as much or more than economic advancements. This is why you never hear Asians complaining that there's no Asian President. They don't need one; they have Blacks, Indians and Latinos to fight their political battles for them. Secondly, they are more accepted by whites and do not face the inmstitutional barriers we face. Their problems are primarily economic, as with all other immigrant groups. Blacks must fight on both fronts b/c the only reason we were free was Law...and we have to ensure that the law will continue to be followed.
I changed the order to point out that you've made a huge logical leap here. You start with talking about Blacks being the ONLY immigrant group immigrating by force. You then call them a political class. Finally, you state that Blacks, Indians and Latinos fight political battles. You've justified why Blacks fight political battles but failed to explain Indians and Latinos. Essentially, you've started lumping racial groups in bundles without providing justification -- Work on this and you might have a higher LSAT.
All of this goes to say that, in a 100M sprint, you cannot condemn the party who starts off 40M behind at the gate, due to Law. We are playing catch up, and not due to our inferiority. Should we ensure that the laces in our spikes are tied tightly? Aboslutely! Do Blacks have a responsibility to report on time to the line, whatever theior line is? Yes! Do we have a responsibility to run as absolutely fast as we can? Surely. But comparing someone who starts at a 40 yard deficit to someone who starts at a five yard deficit is patently unfair.

bad analogy. we all know black people dominate these sprint races so maybe they should be 40 yards behind.

pithypike

Bronze

Post by pithypike » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:

You clearly don't know anything about blackprince. He firmly believes his run of the mill soft factors are what put him over the top at T14 schools, which is just downright moronic. I don't believe GPA/LSAT indicates higher intelligence, but I KNOW you can't compensate for a mid 160s LSAT and a piss poor GPA with mediocre soft factors. I see it as my moral duty to deflate his massive sense of self worth. Someone with T30 numbers shouldn't be strutting around bragging about how smart he is and how he earned the T14. He didn't.

Didn't you say you were going to stop posting, btw? Don't break your promise now.

Edit: See Bobina's post for the rest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:29 pm

My attack is primarily on this statement.
blackprince206 wrote: This is why you never hear Asians complaining that there's no Asian President.
When you say this:
blackprince206 wrote:
They don't need one; they have Blacks, Indians and Latinos to fight their political battles for them.
You then have to justify WHY Indians and Latinos fight on political fronts when Black people are the only ones who are a political class. Instead you further entrenched your argument that Latino's and Indians are primarily an economic class. Thus, the question remains that since Asians, Latinos, and Indians are all primarily an economic class, why do two of those three choose to be significantly involved in politics and not the third.

Essentially, by being able to link Asians to Latinos and Indians in that they are both economic classes and because you've provided the evidence that both Latinos and Indians are heavily involved in politics, you have shown that "political culture" isn't enough of a justification for why black immigrants alone have to fight on both fronts. Your evidence in essence shows that minorities in general must fight on both economic and political fronts.

Thus, you have failed to provide an adequate justification for why asians never complain about an asian president. It's not political and its not economic. It is in fact, referring back to BananaHammock's post, cultural. Now if you want to argue that Black's culture was thrashed by slavery etc. Have at it. I can tell already that you have a lot more knowledge about the black community, culture, history etc. Just watch your statements about other cultures, in this case, asians.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:51 pm

So.. SEO...

Nemorino

New

Post by Nemorino » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:06 pm

And for the record, blackprince is against affirmative action. :twisted:

BP - while I don't appreciate the racist rants ("all whites are blah blah," "all asians are blah blah"), your posts are generally hilarious. Try to freshen up your material, though. I think the audience is growing tired of your endowment issues.

bocadellupo

New

Post by bocadellupo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:28 pm

so yeah... i have this interview for an SEO internship... umm...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”