SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mt2165

Silver

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by mt2165 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Black_Swan wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Dinged.......nice
Sorry to hear that mt... Did not you get into CLS? Did you choose NYC as your top location?
Yeah I was but I ended up going Cornell.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Sat May 10, 2014 7:21 am

mt2165 wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Dinged.......nice
Sorry to hear that mt... Did not you get into CLS? Did you choose NYC as your top location?
Yeah I was but I ended up going Cornell.
I see...

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Sat May 10, 2014 7:24 am

Are finalists posting what school they will be attending? I am curious if SEO s preference for TOP 6 schools holds true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 am

Black_Swan wrote:Are finalists posting what school they will be attending? I am curious if SEO s preference for TOP 6 schools holds true.

No they don't always. Before I withdrew from the program, I saw people from a wide variety of schools some even T-20 were accepted into the program.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:Are finalists posting what school they will be attending? I am curious if SEO s preference for TOP 6 schools holds true.

No they don't always. Before I withdrew from the program, I saw people from a wide variety of schools some even T-20 were accepted into the program.
Didn't mean to post anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd say if you haven't heard back by now it's probably not happening. I'm already in contact with the firm I've been partnered with and we're balls deep in planning a schedule for the summer.

All I've gotten so far was a call from an SEO rep. stating what firm I would be placed in and telling me that the firm would give me a call that afternoon. They never called :(

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat May 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd say if you haven't heard back by now it's probably not happening. I'm already in contact with the firm I've been partnered with and we're balls deep in planning a schedule for the summer.

All I've gotten so far was a call from an SEO rep. stating what firm I would be placed in and telling me that the firm would give me a call that afternoon. They never called :(
How many days ago was the call? Give it a day or so. This is a busy season for recruiting, because you're coming in with all of their other summer associates. They have to coordinate all of those arrivals too. Someone will call you.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat May 10, 2014 4:07 pm

subtle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How many days ago was the call? Give it a day or so. This is a busy season for recruiting, because you're coming in with all of their other summer associates. They have to coordinate all of those arrivals too. Someone will call you.
Just enjoy the epicness of getting SEO. The firm placement usually doesn't make too much of a difference.

TeufelHunden88

New

Post by TeufelHunden88 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Checking in on here. I'll be in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 4:49 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
subtle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just enjoy the epicness of getting SEO. The firm placement usually doesn't make too much of a difference.
I got the call on Tuesday and haven't heard anything since. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't abnormal. I'm definitely looking forward to the opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 4:57 pm

For posterity: HYS non-URM dinged for LA/SF/NYC. Had what I thought was a good interview. No follow-up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For posterity: HYS non-URM dinged for LA/SF/NYC. Had what I thought was a good interview. No follow-up
If it makes you feel better , there's only one non-URM in the Seo FB page.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If it makes you feel better , there's only one non-URM in the Seo FB page.
How could you POSSIBLY know this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iggyminaj

New

Post by iggyminaj » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Looking to get into SEO Class of 2015... Woo! I know I'm early, but I want this really badly as EVERYONE who got it has said it was the best summer of their lives and set them up nicely. Anyone else trying for the first deadline? Any tips from former people on how to write an amazing app? Thanks guys. I look forward to posting and reading here for the next couple of months!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:For posterity: HYS non-URM dinged for LA/SF/NYC. Had what I thought was a good interview. No follow-up
Same here

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 pm

I don't really understand- typically in litigation, legal interns/associates do cite-checking/fact checking, research memos for briefs, and other low level writing and research projects.

If you were a 0L interested in Litigation what kind of work would you do over a summer in this program? In applying, can you make it clear you're only interested in litigation? On the transactional side, what kind of work have previous interns done?

Also, after seo, have people who've done the program been better prepared to do actual 2L associate jobs? In what ways? Do people manage to come back 1L and 2L year after their 0L summer?

Has anyone heard of any negative experiences in Seo? Is there feedback during the program from supervisors? Who supervises, partners or associates (or even summers?)

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 pm

If you were a 0L interested in Litigation what kind of work would you do over a summer in this program? In applying, can you make it clear you're only interested in litigation? On the transactional side, what kind of work have previous interns done?
The answer to this will change based on what firm you go to, although you will have a decent amount of control over what kind of assignments you get. Generally speaking it's wise to take assignments from a wide variety of groups. I came in 100% litigation focused, but I've developed interest in M&A and bankruptcy as well.
Also, after seo, have people who've done the program been better prepared to do actual 2L associate jobs? In what ways? Do people manage to come back 1L and 2L year after their 0L summer?
Better prepared? No. Better able to know what you actually want to do and relay familiarity with the firms and what they actually do? Absolutely.

Coming back 1L is unlikely with most SEO firms as they simply don't take 1Ls. The few who do generally take a good number. I think most firms extend some sort of leg up to their own SEOs at OCI.
Has anyone heard of any negative experiences in Seo? Is there feedback during the program from supervisors? Who supervises, partners or associates (or even summers?)
Nothing negative about the general experience. The firms treat you incredibly well, but the people who run SEO can be very intense.

Feedback will vary by firm. My SEO firms didn't do reviews for us, but others did. Other than that, you are treated exactly like any other summer associate. You bill hours, get staffed on stuff, research, write, etc. Until class year comes up, you're indistinguishable from any rising 3L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:11 pm

txdude45 wrote: Nothing negative about the general experience. The firms treat you incredibly well, but the people who run SEO can be very intense.
I think I've read about them being really concerned with people's appearances in a slightly alienating way. Anything more than that? I assume their fussing doesn't override the value of the program?

I'm sure some one over there monitors this thread, so I would welcome pms with particulars not suitable for public conversation. Just trying to figure out the particulars of what I want out of next summer and whether costs outweigh benefits.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:08 am

Skool wrote:
txdude45 wrote: Nothing negative about the general experience. The firms treat you incredibly well, but the people who run SEO can be very intense.
I think I've read about them being really concerned with people's appearances in a slightly alienating way. Anything more than that? I assume their fussing doesn't override the value of the program?

I'm sure some one over there monitors this thread, so I would welcome pms with particulars not suitable for public conversation. Just trying to figure out the particulars of what I want out of next summer and whether costs outweigh benefits.
I have no fucks to give as to if an SEO staff member is lurking this thread. They can be very not chill about appearances. Their guidelines are incredibly conservative, but you only really have to abide by them at orientation, panels, and the law institute. When you go to your firm, you wear whatever they wear. My firm was very business casual, so I went to work in khakis and whatever shirt I wanted, sometimes just a polo.

If you are a URM and going to law school next year, there is no question that you need to try to get into this program. Unless what you want next summer is something other than literally the best pre-law program out there and basically a grade-proof shot at biglaw, you need to have an application in when they open. I guarantee you that no one who has done the program would advise you not to do it. We all like to complain about stuff that is just annoying in the moment, but has no actual affect on anything.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 pm

txdude45 wrote:
If you are a URM and going to law school next year, there is no question that you need to try to get into this program. Unless what you want next summer is something other than literally the best pre-law program out there and basically a grade-proof shot at biglaw, you need to have an application in when they open. I guarantee you that no one who has done the program would advise you not to do it. We all like to complain about stuff that is just annoying in the moment, but has no actual affect on anything.
Maybe, but everyone's circumstances are a little different. I like where I'm at now and The projects are really awesome. Plus I have a commitment through the end of next summer. Tough to risk damage to a great professional relationship I want to keep. I'll probably apply and see what happens.

But thanks for all the info, this was very helpful!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Skool wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Maybe, but everyone's circumstances are a little different. I like where I'm at now and The projects are really awesome. Plus I have a commitment through the end of next summer. Tough to risk damage to a great professional relationship I want to keep. I'll probably apply and see what happens.

No. Except if you are working for the president (and I basically mean that literally), then SEO is the best pre-law program and the only thing you should try to do before law school -- and that's even if you don't want to end up a big law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:45 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Skool wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

No. Except if you are working for the president (and I basically mean that literally), then SEO is the best pre-law program and the only thing you should try to do before law school -- and that's even if you don't want to end up a big law.
In the last two weeks I've managed filings in SCOTUS and two other state Supreme courts across the country. This year is going to be filled with many other baller litigation projects with really smart litigators who are making me a better professional (in terms of my substantive legal knowledge and skills). You don't just walk away from a good place without really understanding your alternative. Especially if big law from a T-14 isn't really that hard for URM (and this might be a flawed understanding) since they and clients appear thirsty for more diversity.

I don't know what they're feeding you over there, but I'd take it easy on the kool aid.

Have you done the program? Maybe you could share what it did for your development as both a professional and law student?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Skool wrote: In the last two weeks I've managed filings in SCOTUS and two other state Supreme courts across the country. This year is going to be filled with many other baller litigation projects with really smart litigators who are making me a better professional (in terms of my substantive legal knowledge and skills). You don't just walk away from a good place without really understanding your alternative. Especially if big law from a T-14 isn't really that hard for URM (and this might be a flawed understanding) since they and clients appear thirsty for more diversity.

I don't know what they're feeding you over there, but I'd take it easy on the kool aid.
We aren't being fed anything. What we're saying is based on facts. You're current job (which I'm assuming to be paralegal, but either way chill, you aren't that important to what is going on) may be super awesome and be giving you a bunch of great experience, but you can only have so much of that on your resume. If it also includes "[V25 Firm] - SEO Summer Associate" a bunch of doors are gonna swing wide open.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:09 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Skool wrote: In the last two weeks I've managed filings in SCOTUS and two other state Supreme courts across the country. This year is going to be filled with many other baller litigation projects with really smart litigators who are making me a better professional (in terms of my substantive legal knowledge and skills). You don't just walk away from a good place without really understanding your alternative. Especially if big law from a T-14 isn't really that hard for URM (and this might be a flawed understanding) since they and clients appear thirsty for more diversity.

We aren't being fed anything. What we're saying is based on facts. You're current job (which I'm assuming to be paralegal, but either way chill, you aren't that important to what is going on) may be super awesome and be giving you a bunch of great experience, but you can only have so much of that on your resume. If it also includes "[V25 Firm] - SEO Summer Associate" a bunch of doors are gonna swing wide open.
I guess I have a lot to learn.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:31 am

Skool wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

I guess I have a lot to learn.
Yes, I'm an SEO alum. And you obviously don't understand your [possible] alternative. Honestly, SEO turns down qualified candidates [think HLS 0Ls with crazy resumes] every year, so we're putting the cart before the horse anyway. We aren't talking just big law, we are talking the most selective firms and folks that can help with the most selective opportunities [think DOJ Honors].

What you are doing as a paralegal isn't that important. As an SA or SEO, you have a chance to work on the substantive portion of the briefing -- although you can't do legal research, you can certainly do policy or facts-related work. And that can include SCOTUS briefing. And honestly, as a paralegal, let's be real, you probs don't have a ton of substantive legal knowledge. I would definitely talk to more folks before forming misguided opinions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”