SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unc0mm0n1

Gold

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 am

Renne Walker wrote:I went to my SEO interview last week, interviewed by one person (for some reason I assumed this would be a panel interview).

I thought the interview went fine until the end. The interviewer was looking at a report showing the schools I had been accepted to and she asked if I had decided which law school I was leaning toward. When I said I had already sent my matriculation fee into NYU, she looked surprised and glanced back at the report. NYU was not on her list. The result is that interviewer became a lot more upbeat‒we talked for another fifteen minutes, turning this into a 45-minute interview. I honestly believe the mention of NYU upgraded my chances. I was asked to turn in some more paperwork and to fax a receipt of my matriculation fee (unfortunately NYU has not cashed the check yet).

The only other thing I can add is, this was not a stress interview and you might want to mention what law school you are attending from the get-go.
This is completely right. but they also made it clear that if I decided to go to one of my safeties instead of say Berkeley they'd boot me from the program. It makes a difference where you go because that's where their partners recruit. I picked the Bay Area as my first choice so it helps that I'm leaning toward Berkeley.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 am

Renne Walker wrote:I went to my SEO interview last week, interviewed by one person (for some reason I assumed this would be a panel interview).

I thought the interview went fine until the end. The interviewer was looking at a report showing the schools I had been accepted to and she asked if I had decided which law school I was leaning toward. When I said I had already sent my matriculation fee into NYU, she looked surprised and glanced back at the report. NYU was not on her list. The result is that interviewer became a lot more upbeat‒we talked for another fifteen minutes, turning this into a 45-minute interview. I honestly believe the mention of NYU upgraded my chances. I was asked to turn in some more paperwork and to fax a receipt of my matriculation fee (unfortunately NYU has not cashed the check yet).

The only other thing I can add is, this was not a stress interview and you might want to mention what law school you are attending from the get-go.
SEO has various partnerships with NYU (they made a big donation to SEO a year ago and SEO uses some of their facilities). Getting into/matriculating to NYU is a big boost for your SEO chances.

yellowsubmarine55

New

Post by yellowsubmarine55 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 pm

anybody know the answer to this......

so for people who've already gone through the interview (i guess the first wave of interview invites), is it normal not to hear a peep from SEO yet? i haven't made my final enrollment decision because i'm waiting on $$ aid. should we (i) not expect to hear anything until we (i) make that decision? my gut feeling is that is why i haven't received any follow up communication, but i don't know.

thanks!!!!!!!!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm

yellowsubmarine55 wrote:anybody know the answer to this......

so for people who've already gone through the interview (i guess the first wave of interview invites), is it normal not to hear a peep from SEO yet? i haven't made my final enrollment decision because i'm waiting on $$ aid. should we (i) not expect to hear anything until we (i) make that decision? my gut feeling is that is why i haven't received any follow up communication, but i don't know.

thanks!!!!!!!!
Yeah they won't give you a decision until they have your enrollment form. It's how they ensure you end up at one of the schools they want.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

True about the school; but the nature of the interview really depends on the interviewer. Most of the ppl who were in the program last year got the stress interviewer style.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 pm

I got the stress interview in the face, hard.

Edit: To say that it really wasn't that bad. It was a panel interview and they do grill you about certain things. You need to do your research and be intelligent about what comes out of your mouth.

Not much different from a regular interview, but it just felt more stressful when you have interviewers looking completely disinterested and/or typing on their phones.
Last edited by CMDantes on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:

True about the school; but the nature of the interview really depends on the interviewer. Most of the ppl who were in the program last year got the stress interviewer style.
Define "stress interview." What does this entail? I seriously doubt my interview could be categorized as such so I am just curious to know what the stress interviews were like? Did they just ask harder questions? Did they really drill you about your knowledge of mergers and acquisitions?
Mostly they try to do things to get you fluster. They might cut you off or not really pay attention to what you are saying. They try to make you feel as if you are performing poorly so that they can see how you conduct yourself when things aren't going your way. YMMV.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Rand M. wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
Define "stress interview." What does this entail? I seriously doubt my interview could be categorized as such so I am just curious to know what the stress interviews were like? Did they just ask harder questions? Did they really drill you about your knowledge of mergers and acquisitions?
Mostly they try to do things to get you fluster. They might cut you off or not really pay attention to what you are saying. They try to make you feel as if you are performing poorly so that they can see how you conduct yourself when things aren't going your way. YMMV.
Yeah, I accidently said the name of the program incorrectly a few times and they made fun of me and joked(at least I think it was a joke) that I had ruined my chances. They also were holding back smirks when they asked me a few law specific questions that I obviously didnt know the answer to. I think it is one of those interviews where you always feel like you did worse than you actually did(I hope thats the case b/c I dont feel I did anything special).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 am

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Has anyone else not received an interview invite yet? I submitted my application on February 7th :?

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 pm

what kind of stuff did they expect ya'll to know in the interview?

also, when did everybody turn in letters of rec?

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 pm

dkt4 wrote:what kind of stuff did they expect ya'll to know in the interview?

about 6 weeks ago. the same time I requested my transcripts be sent to them.

benji929

New

Post by benji929 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 am

Question for those of you who have done the program before: do you need to pass a drug test to get final acceptance into the program? Thanks.

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
dkt4 wrote:what kind of stuff did they expect ya'll to know in the interview?

about 6 weeks ago. the same time I requested my transcripts be sent to them.
Does your homepage show that they have received your transcripts and LOR? I sent my stuff in a few weeks ago and was wondering if I should call/email to verify receipt. I know in previous years they updated your page when they received stuff.

cmik801

New

Post by cmik801 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Last edited by cmik801 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey did other people get a followup invite too?

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 pm

I just got one. Do u know if the received your LOR and transcripts law_monkey?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:23 pm

What's a followup invite? Is that done after the interview?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:50 pm

helloscriptkitti wrote:I just got one. Do u know if the received your LOR and transcripts law_monkey?
Not yet. I know for sure my recommender hasn't sent in my letter yet, so if this is a good sign it must be based on acceptances.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:08 pm

I just got a follow up interview as well!

Based on my scouring of TLS, it seems we're in good shape if we got the follow up request.

Quick question - do we log in or do we click at the top of the page where it says to click if you got invited directly? I can't figure out which one it is!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:16 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I just got a follow up interview as well!

Based on my scouring of TLS, it seems we're in good shape if we got the follow up request.

Quick question - do we log in or do we click at the top of the page where it says to click if you got invited directly? I can't figure out which one it is!
Click at the top. Dumb question, but are these interviews shown in our time zone? or eastern time zone? or what? ETA: I think all appointments are EASTERN time. Heads up people scheduling your follow up!!!

How long does the follow up last? none of these times really work for me but if it's fairly quick I can squeeze it in i'm sure.

ETA: What the heck, it wants us to make a new username?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Knock wrote:

Click at the top. Dumb question, but are these interviews shown in our time zone? or eastern time zone? or what? ETA: I think all appointments are EASTERN time. Heads up people scheduling your follow up!!!

How long does the follow up last? none of these times really work for me but if it's fairly quick I can squeeze it in i'm sure.

Yeah, the entire process is super confusing!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
Knock wrote:

Yeah, the entire process is super confusing!
Yup, I just made a new username and filled out all my info again. Luckily I had my scores saved on my SEO specific resume, those were a pain to dig up :lol:. Got my spot reserved, pretty much the only time that works for me I think with the time difference. Anyone know what this follow up is like?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”