SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yngblkgifted

Silver

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

masterthearts wrote:[
I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

Why are you saying "T10 school you choose." I thought SEO accepts student going to any of the T14.
They do. But SEO placement statistics show that their acceptance is heavily geared towards T6. An unusually high number from NYU (I think more than Harvard and Yale last time I checked the numbers). T6 around 10+ students versus Penn on down with like 1 or 2 each.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
I wouldn't pick it solely based on the possible preference SEO might have for it. Go where you feel most comfortable. I think at this point, it's all about how well you compose yourself at the interviews and less about which T10 you choose.

Why are you saying "T10 school you choose." I thought SEO accepts student going to any of the T14.
They do. But SEO placement statistics show that their acceptance is heavily geared towards T6. An unusually high number from NYU (I think more than Harvard and Yale last time I checked the numbers). T6 around 10+ students versus Penn on down with like 1 or 2 each.
The T6 having more representation is a general rule. However, it seems like it can vary from year to year. One year I think Penn had 5 plus in the program.
True. But IIRC that was the year before NYU made the huge donation. Now that they've done that I think NYU will continue to have a large showing. But it's really Harvard, NYU, and CLS that have a huge showing isn't it? Although they're the ones with the larger class sizes too.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:

The T6 having more representation is a general rule. However, it seems like it can vary from year to year. One year I think Penn had 5 plus in the program.
True. But IIRC that was the year before NYU made the huge donation. Now that they've done that I think NYU will continue to have a large showing. But it's really Harvard, NYU, and CLS that have a huge showing isn't it? Although they're the ones with the larger class sizes too.
I can't find the thread with the numbers, but that's how I recall it. NYU > CLS/Harvard > Rest of T6 > Rest of T14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
They have large class sizes but so does G towns and they usually send only 1 or 2. Who knows.

Does anyone else feel like once they have decided to apply to law school, life has become just a long anxiety filled waiting game? Will it ever stop? LSAT scores, Admissions, Internships, 1L grades, Internships, 2L grades.....it's a never ending cycle.... :|
That is EXACTLY what it's felt like. Every step of the way I always think that once I get over that hurdle it'll be less stressful. FALSE!!!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
They have large class sizes but so does G towns and they usually send only 1 or 2. Who knows.

Does anyone else feel like once they have decided to apply to law school, life has become just a long anxiety filled waiting game? Will it ever stop? LSAT scores, Admissions, Internships, 1L grades, Internships, 2L grades.....it's a never ending cycle.... :|
That is EXACTLY what it's felt like. Every step of the way I always think that once I get over that hurdle it'll be less stressful. FALSE!!!
A lot of us went backwards here.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

lol! Hell yea! It only gets tougher from here. Once we get into law school, we won't be able to wait until graduation, I'm sure.. UGH!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

lol! Hell yea! It only gets tougher from here. Once we get into law school, we won't be able to wait until graduation, I'm sure.. UGH!
Yeah, I totally expect school itself to be tough though. But I thought I'd be fine once I got through the LSAT. And then apps turned out to be a complete pain. But then I thought I would just calmly sit back and wait for decisions. That was wrong because that's when I discovered TLS and became even more uptight and paranoid lol. Now all the scholarship stuff is coming into play, and the decision itself is definitely going to be tough. And to think at this time last year I was still just trying to get to the LSAT. It'll be worth it though! :D

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:52 pm

helloscriptkitti wrote:Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.
Haha I think we are the same person. All my friends have a real job lined up, are looking for a real job, or denying the fact that graduation is just a couple months away. Definitely no place in their lives for law school talk lol. SEO is my only near equivalent to what they're going through right now.

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 pm

law_monkey wrote:Yeah, I totally expect school itself to be tough though. But I thought I'd be fine once I got through the LSAT. And then apps turned out to be a complete pain. But then I thought I would just calmly sit back and wait for decisions. That was wrong because that's when I discovered TLS and became even more uptight and paranoid lol. Now all the scholarship stuff is coming into play, and the decision itself is definitely going to be tough. And to think at this time last year I was still just trying to get to the LSAT. It'll be worth it though! :D
+1 on every single thing you said (wrote?) haha.

After going through this thread it looks like I'm not the only one who feels kind of rushed about picking a school. I won't even be done with ASWs till mid-April.

And I thought the hard part was over once my apps were in... :?
Now I know better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 pm

calvmpv wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Yeah, I totally expect school itself to be tough though. But I thought I'd be fine once I got through the LSAT. And then apps turned out to be a complete pain. But then I thought I would just calmly sit back and wait for decisions. That was wrong because that's when I discovered TLS and became even more uptight and paranoid lol. Now all the scholarship stuff is coming into play, and the decision itself is definitely going to be tough. And to think at this time last year I was still just trying to get to the LSAT. It'll be worth it though! :D
+1 on every single thing you said (wrote?) haha.

After going through this thread it looks like I'm not the only one who feels kind of rushed about picking a school. I won't even be done with ASWs till mid-April.

And I thought the hard part was over once my apps were in... :?
Now I know better.
It does make me feel better that other people feel this pressure. I think more people will be facing this same situation, and most people won't be rushing their decision for ASW. Last year's April commits still got in, so we should all be fine.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:Things were definitely less stressful for me in the beginning when I felt I had absolutely no chance at getting in a T-14 school and just applied to most of them because it only cost 12 bucks. Then the acceptances started rolling in and I was forced to look at the COA. Pretty much decided I would just go part-time since I prob didn't qualify for SEO and wasn't getting any substantial schollys. Then SEO invited me to interview. Now I am on TLS everyday for silent group therapy because my friends don't want to hear about my law school admissions saga anymore. I have also turned into a big crybaby.
+1 on every single word! This is what I get on here for.

None of my friends are considering law school and NONE of them seem as anal about things as I am. When I'm on TLS I feel at home. Every problem I have ever had, there is someone who can relate and give me advice. TLS is also a great tool for procrastination. I went from not knowing what TLS was a year ago to getting on it more than facebook, youtube,wikipedia and my email combined!
Yup, that's my life now haha. :P

Seriously though, I'm not allowed to mention law school anymore in front of my friends. They'll give me a pass every now and then, but even so...they just don't get it. The search tool on TLS has replaced my friends hahahaha.

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Haha. I tried once to explain TLS to my friend. I told her that my TLS friends were the only people that could relate to me. But she couldn't understand how they were my friends if I never posted and didn't really 'know' anyone. Perhaps she had a point, but at this point I feel closer to total strangers than my friends and family. I have alienated them all.
yngblkgifted wrote:

None of my friends are considering law school and NONE of them seem as anal about things as I am. When I'm on TLS I feel at home. Every problem I have ever had, there is someone who can relate and give me advice. TLS is also a great tool for procrastination. I went from not knowing what TLS was a year ago to getting on it more than facebook, youtube,wikipedia and my email combined!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:32 pm

helloscriptkitti wrote:Haha. I tried once to explain TLS to my friend. I told her that my TLS friends were the only people that could relate to me. But she couldn't understand how they were my friends if I never posted and didn't really 'know' anyone. Perhaps she had a point, but at this point I feel closer to total strangers than my friends and family. I have alienated them all.
yngblkgifted wrote:

Haha yeah my friends IRL are horrified that part of the reason I'm excited for ASW is to meet TLSers. They keep telling me that I don't actually know these people, and I'm just like well I kind of do. I also wanted to point out that all of what we've been saying if taken out of context makes us sound super emo right now lol.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 pm

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Speaking of ASWs. UVA's is coming up. Who's going? And what is the code word to know whether or not we are talking to another TLSer?
Not me. UVA has been my only non-positive decision so far (although I'm sure Harvard's and CLS' are on their way). :( The ASWs I'm attending are Cornell's, Penn's and NYU's. Hopefully some of you will be at one of those too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm

I want to go, but I have a conference that I cannot back out of. Whoever goes should take some pictures and give us a report.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Speaking of ASWs. UVA's is coming up. Who's going? And what is the code word to know whether or not we are talking to another TLSer?
Not me. UVA has been my only non-positive decision so far (although I'm sure Harvard's and CLS' are on their way). :( The ASWs I'm attending are Cornell's, Penn's and NYU's. Hopefully some of you will be at one of those too!
UVA has been kind of weird this cycle. Well I will be at Penn's. I haven't heard ANYTHING from NYU or Cornell since I sent my application in over Thanksgiving break. The entire state of New York must hate me because Columbia asked for my fall grades almost two months ago and still no word either...oh well. I'm sure we will get a chance to meet at Penn. Are there any kids at top law schools that aren't members of TLS? Should I assume that everyone I see has an active TLS account?
Haha no definitely not! I was at a regional reception for Penn last week, and no one there except me was on TLS. And they were all talking about how pointless and mean sites like this are. I was just standing on the edge of the circle feeling super awkward, especially when they started making fun of the people who go on everyday. :oops:

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Last edited by yngblkgifted on Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”