SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheSharklord

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by TheSharklord » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Foozle wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:Just submitted my app for this...has anyone done the interview this year? Any comments?

Yet another thing to twiddle my thumbs over whilst waiting for responses from law schools...
I applied 3 weeks ago and haven't received anything besides a "Thank you for applying" email. The first deadline is December 15th so it could be a while.

Until you get accepted to a top school it's basically like you haven't even applied.
So I hear. Are you applying this year or did you do it in the past?
Foozle wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:Just submitted my app for this...has anyone done the interview this year? Any comments?

Yet another thing to twiddle my thumbs over whilst waiting for responses from law schools...
I applied 3 weeks ago and haven't received anything besides a "Thank you for applying" email. The first deadline is December 15th so it could be a while.
Mmm, so much for instant gratification...

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:03 pm

TheSharklord wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Foozle wrote:

Until you get accepted to a top school it's basically like you haven't even applied.
So I hear. Are you applying this year or did you do it in the past?
Foozle wrote:

Mmm, so much for instant gratification...

I'm applying as soon as I get an acceptance from a top school.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:55 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Foozle wrote:

How do they know when you get in to a top school tho? Or are you suppose to update them?

Thanks for the help!
(also how good does the school have to be? I have Duke PT, but should I wait until a HYSCCN to apply?)

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:58 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Foozle wrote:

How do they know when you get in to a top school tho? Or are you suppose to update them?

Thanks for the help!
(also how good does the school have to be? I have Duke PT, but should I wait until a HYSCCN to apply?)
Yeah there's a spot on the application where you tell them where you're applying. You don't have to wait until you get into the school(s) to apply. They want you to update as you hear back from schools.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Foozle wrote:

Thanks for the help!
From what I've heard it's pretty much a T14 game, so with Duke PT you should be pretty well set...Anyhow, like Foozle said, there's a section where you list all of your schools and your status with them, and you need to update once you have a change. I figure it's just as well to get the app in earlier rather than later though, in case it means you have an easier time of getting an interview in the city you prefer. *shrugs*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacosta6

New

Post by jacosta6 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Last edited by jacosta6 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:54 pm

jacosta6 wrote:Has everyone been putting down their SAT scores? I know its like one master application for all the programs, which includes the ones for high school students, but I don't know if its necessary for this particular program.

I would like to avoid it since I can't really remember it and I would have to pay to get it over the phone. And more importantly, it's a little embarrassing.
I put mine down, managed to remember my log-in info for collegeboard.com.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:56 pm

I don't think they're scratching Asian just because Asians aren't overrepresented in the legal field. Anyone know how they render decisions for this? I assume since they look at what school you got into, it isn't particularly time sensitive, or maybe I'm just lazy.

PS: How do you forget your SAT scores? O_O

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:03 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I don't think they're scratching Asian just because Asians aren't overrepresented in the legal field. Anyone know how they render decisions for this? I assume since they look at what school you got into, it isn't particularly time sensitive, or maybe I'm just lazy.

PS: How do you forget your SAT scores? O_O
Do you mean aren't underrepresented>

FWIW, a recruiter from SEO was on campus this week conducting an info session, and she told me they start notifying people about interviews in December (it's rolling). They don't wait for everybody to get into schools before they start interviewing.

Your LSAT score gives them a pretty good indication of what kind of school you're probably heading to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Hm, I should stop being lazy then. And yes, I meant underrepresented. It's that damn essay I didn't want to write after finishing my apps -_-

jacosta6

New

Post by jacosta6 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Last edited by jacosta6 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Anybody got an interview?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Nope, but I submitted my app. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Out of curiousity, are interviews still not yet happening for this, or what?

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 am

TheSharklord wrote:Out of curiousity, are interviews still not yet happening for this, or what?

I still have not heard back about an interview.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:Out of curiousity, are interviews still not yet happening for this, or what?

I still have not heard back about an interview.
I haven't heard anything, but as I understand it, they have 3 different application cycles so maybe they haven't started the next cycle yet.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:13 am

Is this really only for minorities? If so, are there any opportunities like this out there for people that are attending great schools in the fall but arent minorities?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:30 pm

jnorsky wrote:Is this really only for minorities? If so, are there any opportunities like this out there for people that are attending great schools in the fall but arent minorities?
Yes, and not to my knowledge. The program is designed to help minorities break through the racial glass ceilings ( that exist in corporate law) so it's aimed specifically at them. That being said there is a Cornell summer pre law program that is kind of similar and is for everyone. You do have to pay them to attend though, but I think they offer the chance to participate in an internship at law firms (like Dewey Labeuf) that is unpaid. That could lead to a 1L firm opportunity.

http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/programs. ... s=Overview

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:32 pm

kurama20 wrote:
jnorsky wrote:Is this really only for minorities? If so, are there any opportunities like this out there for people that are attending great schools in the fall but arent minorities?
Yes, and not to my knowledge. The program is designed to help minorities break through the racial glass ceilings ( that exist in corporate law) so it's aimed specifically at them. That being said there is a Cornell summer pre law program that is kind of similar and is for everyone. You do have to pay them to attend though, but I think they offer the chance to participate in an internship at law firms (like Dewey Labeuf) that is unpaid. That could lead to a 1L firm opportunity.

Dam, that kind of sucks. Thanks for the info.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:40 pm

kurama20 wrote:

this is the one time i've ever been a minority for a cool opportunity in my life... Go SEO!

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 pm

i looked at the website and perhaps completely missed the answer to my question, but for this program, is there any stipend, pay, or grant money?

thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:57 pm

georgina wrote:i looked at the website and perhaps completely missed the answer to my question, but for this program, is there any stipend, pay, or grant money?

thanks.
Yeah you get at least $1000 a week.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:59 pm

kurama20 wrote:
georgina wrote:i looked at the website and perhaps completely missed the answer to my question, but for this program, is there any stipend, pay, or grant money?

thanks.
Yep i think its like $1000-1500 or so but you have to pay lodging/food/ etc. so probably subtract $500 off for COL

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:07 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

thanks.
Yep i think its like $1000-1500 or so but you have to pay lodging/food/ etc. so probably subtract $500 off for COL
Or more...sigh the woes of NYC COL...

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:27 am

I just submitted mine, and in the confirmation email, it says they want us to fax our acceptance letters? Does this mean they want to see all of our acceptances as they're considering us? I thought it was only until we're accepted that they want to see the acceptance letter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”