SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheSharklord

Bronze

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by TheSharklord » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Shadowfrost: I think you'll be fine if you just update the form with your acceptances, until you get the interview...

Kareenak: Nope, the second application deadline isn't even till Feb. Because decisions come out so late for the program everything is pushed back. =)

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 am

kurama20 wrote:
I can't rent a car as a 21 year old, as far as I know. I was hoping it might be near UCLA so I can visit that school while I'm there for the weekend. Is that roughly the area you're talking about? I've never even been to CA before haha, so I'm kind of winging this.
Yes you can, but you have to pay an extra fee.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/lo ... ionId=3272
Yep you can rent, but it is absurdly expensive for 21 year olds. They tack on massive charges... try public transport or taxis (you'll most likely save money).

painsinmysides

New

Post by painsinmysides » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:22 am

After the interview, how long does it take for a candidate to hear about SEO's decision? I am essentially trying to plan a trip for the first week in June, but obviously, if i get this internship (by some snowball's chance in hell), then i don't want to mess it up.

Anyone know about this?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 am

painsinmysides wrote:After the interview, how long does it take for a candidate to hear about SEO's decision? I am essentially trying to plan a trip for the first week in June, but obviously, if i get this internship (by some snowball's chance in hell), then i don't want to mess it up.

Anyone know about this?
They don't make a final decision until you have paid your deposit somewhere so I would imagine it will be a while. You may want to cancel that trip if you are T-10/14 from what I have been reading on here.

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:17 pm

So is it still possible to get an interview at this point? Or are those of us who applied and haven't heard anything yet out of the running? I submitted on December 15th and haven't heard anything. Black Male, 3.44 Cornell GPA, Masters at Columbia, 159LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Despite the TLS mentality of "there's never time" there's still time. But they may take a while to get back to you.

From what I saw on the other forum, if you turn in a seat deposit early, you can hear back eary. Some girl got in in February in a previous year (i think she ED'd somewhere or something). But others may not hear back so soon...

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm

TheSharklord wrote:Despite the TLS mentality of "there's never time" there's still time. But they may take a while to get back to you.

From what I saw on the other forum, if you turn in a seat deposit early, you can hear back eary. Some girl got in in February in a previous year (i think she ED'd somewhere or something). But others may not hear back so soon...
I submited at the end of nov and got an interview 3 days later... there is time... def still time.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:45 am

I imagine noone's actually *had* an interview yet, though? Who's batting first? =)

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:49 am

I created a thread about the SEO Corporate Law interview process. If you have any insight, please hop over and post.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:31 pm

-
Last edited by Core on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:31 pm

groundkontrol wrote:So is it still possible to get an interview at this point? Or are those of us who applied and haven't heard anything yet out of the running? I submitted on December 15th and haven't heard anything. Black Male, 3.44 Cornell GPA, Masters at Columbia, 159LSAT.
God, I hope it's still possible. I submitted just under the wire for the first deadline as well. And except for an email reminding me to put in my LSAT score, and an application received email, I have heard absolutely nada, not a peep. Not even when I emailed the people to update them with my new score...It's kinda making me anxious because people keep saying they're getting interviews within like 3 days and stuff. I could REALLY use the internship, because I need all the help I can get.

P.S. Good job on everything.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 pm

I think you might be worrying a little unnecessarily. If anything, I believe it will at the very least bolster your resume, plus give you some spending money this summer. Plus if you're going to law school, this will give you a head-start on the classes you take 1L. You can explain all of that if any of the agencies asks you about it. By no means in applying to SEO are you committing yourself to the practice of this particular program. To be honest, I don't know WHAT kind of law I want to practice. I just know I want to be involved in law. For me, it's just a learning experience.

Good luck with your goals. I hope you accomplish everything you ever wanted to do, and more.
Last edited by devilishangelrjp on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:30 pm

So, in reading through the back pages of this thread I saw even YLS was not enough to get certain people accepted. I understand that there is a strong preference for T14 deposits, but my question is where does the prevailing sentiment that says if you are going to a T6 you are safe come from? I don't mean to say anyone is wrong I am really just curious as to why people seem to believe this when a lot of people who sent in their T14 deposits to SEO got flat out rejected. Any thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Rand M. wrote:So, in reading through the back pages of this thread I saw even YLS was not enough to get certain people accepted. I understand that there is a strong preference for T14 deposits, but my question is where does the prevailing sentiment that says if you are going to a T6 you are safe come from? I don't mean to say anyone is wrong I am really just curious as to why people seem to believe this when a lot of people who sent in their T14 deposits to SEO got flat out rejected. Any thoughts?

Frankly I think that they're wrong. The fact that there were 5 people from Penn last year and 4 from UVA , but only 4 from NYU and 1 from Chicago helps to discredit that. They do have a preference for HYSCC, but they still look at other factors. Unfortunately, I get the vibe that GPA for example, is important. Your interview skills are also very important. These factors are at least as important as your school once you have been accepted to top 14 schools.

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:12 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:So, in reading through the back pages of this thread I saw even YLS was not enough to get certain people accepted. I understand that there is a strong preference for T14 deposits, but my question is where does the prevailing sentiment that says if you are going to a T6 you are safe come from? I don't mean to say anyone is wrong I am really just curious as to why people seem to believe this when a lot of people who sent in their T14 deposits to SEO got flat out rejected. Any thoughts?

Frankly I think that they're wrong. The fact that there were 5 people from Penn last year and 4 from UVA , but only 4 from NYU and 1 from Chicago helps to discredit that. They do have a preference for HYSCC, but they still look at other factors. Unfortunately, I get the vibe that GPA for example, is important. Your interview skills are also very important. These factors are at least as important as your school once you have been accepted to top 14 schools.
I concur...I think the T14 thing is more of a gateway requirement...necessary but not sufficient. If you bomb the interview, it doesn't matter where you're going, you're still out. The firms that SEO partners with may have a pedigree preference, but they've also got practical concerns too, i.e. "are you capable to work in their office?" If you can't prove you are, then you're still at square one.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:34 pm

might be coincidence, but UG might play a factor.

I really think interview and demonstration that you want to do biglaw is crucial and just as important as pedigree. They don't want to waste resources on a 0L who isn't planning on doing biglaw but just wants a summer job or "try a firm out"

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm

kurama20 wrote:

Just a point agains the gpa thing. I just made 3.0 range and gt an interview request. My interview is soon tho so if I'm accepted I will let you know. I only put t14 schools when I applied however and I am now accepted at a t10 and will be paying my seat deposit soon most likely. I can debrief a little to clear up some mystery if I find anything out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:14 pm

ogman05 wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Just a point agains the gpa thing. I just made 3.0 range and gt an interview request. My interview is soon tho so if I'm accepted I will let you know. I only put t14 schools when I applied however and I am now accepted at a t10 and will be paying my seat deposit soon most likely. I can debrief a little to clear up some mystery if I find anything out.
I did too (I'm a low GPA person) but from what I was told (by someone who definitely would know) it will hurt your chances. For whatever reason SEO is more fond of "reverse" splitters than traditional ones. Actually I guess that isn't all that odd since the top schools feel the same way when it comes to URMs.

march319

New

Post by march319 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Is there anyone out there who submitted on December 15th (or before) that still hasn't been invited for an interview yet? Are we screwed out of luck?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm

march319 wrote:Is there anyone out there who submitted on December 15th (or before) that still hasn't been invited for an interview yet? Are we screwed out of luck?
Apparently, they sent me an email inviting me to interview, but I never received it. I'm actually worried though, because in my panic, I sent them an email telling them so, but I forgot to put a subject line. -_- FML.

march319

New

Post by march319 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 am

devilishangelrjp wrote:
march319 wrote:Is there anyone out there who submitted on December 15th (or before) that still hasn't been invited for an interview yet? Are we screwed out of luck?
Apparently, they sent me an email inviting me to interview, but I never received it. I'm actually worried though, because in my panic, I sent them an email telling them so, but I forgot to put a subject line. -_- FML.
How do you know they invited you to an interview if you didn't get the email? Did you call them? Anyone know if they're open on weekends?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 am

I submitted on the 15th, faxed my t14 acceptance and still haven't heard anything. :(

Anjacks

New

Post by Anjacks » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:31 am

I submitted in November. I don't think they really like reverse splitters either though. I know a few people said they don't like splitters. I have a T14 acceptance, but I've had it since last year. I deferred. So I'm thinking they just don't want me
:(. I also faxed my acceptance. Should I fax my transcript too?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:28 pm

march319 wrote:
devilishangelrjp wrote:
How do you know they invited you to an interview if you didn't get the email? Did you call them? Anyone know if they're open on weekends?
They sent me a reminder email that told me that I had been invited but hadn't scheduled.

meowmeow

Bronze

Post by meowmeow » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Last edited by meowmeow on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”