SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
droll

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by droll » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 am

I apologize if this is beating the same topic to death, but I don't think it has been discussed in this year's section of the thread. As far as East Asians go (w/ T14 acceptances) ... is there a reasonable chance? I have been invited to an interview, but I can see why they would not really target this program that way. The list of interns from last year (maybe it was only the undergrad program ones) had very few easily identifiable Asian names. Is the Corporate Law program the same?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 am

droll wrote:I apologize if this is beating the same topic to death, but I don't think it has been discussed in this year's section of the thread. As far as East Asians go (w/ T14 acceptances) ... is there a reasonable chance? I have been invited to an interview, but I can see why they would not really target this program that way. The list of interns from last year (maybe it was only the undergrad program ones) had very few easily identifiable Asian names. Is the Corporate Law program the same?
I thought they had fewer South Asians than East Asians -- in any case, we're not the right type of minority. We should be grateful just to have an opportunity. From what I've read, only 20% or so each entering class is Asian. The other 80% or so is black/hispanic.

abg

New

Post by abg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:57 pm

It says on the website that past interns were able to secure housing at college dorms. Is anyone familiar with appx how much this would cost?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:04 pm

abg wrote:It says on the website that past interns were able to secure housing at college dorms. Is anyone familiar with appx how much this would cost?
Google NYU Law Summer housing if you're interested in NYC. I'm not so sure about other cities.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:03 pm

abg wrote:It says on the website that past interns were able to secure housing at college dorms. Is anyone familiar with appx how much this would cost?
If you are new to the city I recommend googling the various universities in town and doing their summer housing (NYU, GW, Georgetown, etc.). You could try and save money by going on craigslist but you run the risk of winding up in the hood 9,000 metro stops from anything fun. Believe me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

misterbingley

Bronze

Post by misterbingley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 pm

anybody know how many hours seo interns are expected to work? are we supposed to stay until 9ish or can we go home at a reasonable hour?

or does this depend largely on the firm you get placed with?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:22 am

misterbingley wrote:anybody know how many hours seo interns are expected to work? are we supposed to stay until 9ish or can we go home at a reasonable hour?

It's firm dependent, but I doubt anyone worked that long. I left at 5:30 everyday.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

When you interview,are you expected to know what kind of corporate law you are interested in?

Right now, I'm cautious to declare an interest (though im thinking of science or biz stuff) - that's what law school is for right?

pennyloafer17

New

Post by pennyloafer17 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:03 pm

Are you guys faxing in copies of your acceptance letters or are you just planning on faxing in copies of your enrollment forms?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm

pennyloafer17 wrote:Are you guys faxing in copies of your acceptance letters or are you just planning on faxing in copies of your enrollment forms?
I think other people have been faxing in their acceptance letters, but other people haven't and have still been fine. The enrollment form is what they really care about anyway.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:16 am

silly101 wrote:When you interview,are you expected to know what kind of corporate law you are interested in?

Right now, I'm cautious to declare an interest (though im thinking of science or biz stuff) - that's what law school is for right?
Im curious about this as well. Also, is corporate law the same thing as Biglaw or what?

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:49 am

HowdyYall wrote:
silly101 wrote:When you interview,are you expected to know what kind of corporate law you are interested in?

Im curious about this as well. Also, is corporate law the same thing as Biglaw or what?
They use it as a catch all term, but Corporate Law is just a practice group that pretty much every large law firm has. Depending on the firm, your internship may turn out to have very little focus on 'corporate law".

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:00 pm

My employer emailed me his LOR during the law school application process. I can easily just print it out and give it to SEO. Do they require that it is sent by the employer? Or can I just bring it to my interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:My employer emailed me his LOR during the law school application process. I can easily just print it out and give it to SEO. Do they require that it is sent by the employer? Or can I just bring it to my interview?
I don't know what they require, but I think it always looks more legit if it's not coming directly from the applicant.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Rand M. wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

They use it as a catch all term, but Corporate Law is just a practice group that pretty much every large law firm has. Depending on the firm, your internship may turn out to have very little focus on 'corporate law".

sooo we dont really have to know what type of law right?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:01 pm

law_monkey wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:My employer emailed me his LOR during the law school application process. I can easily just print it out and give it to SEO. Do they require that it is sent by the employer? Or can I just bring it to my interview?
I don't know what they require, but I think it always looks more legit if it's not coming directly from the applicant.
Ah, duly noted.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm

silly101 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

sooo we dont really have to know what type of law right?
Definitely not. Having articulable interests probably helps, but for the most part, if you are articulating an interest it's probably not genuine. It's hard to be interested before having done it. They know that. The internship is largely meant to gain you exposure and give you a clearer idea of what you might be interested in going forward.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 pm

So for my interview appointment, it doesn't give me an exact address. I need to book a hotel room, do I have to email them and ask them where the interview will be at?

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:55 pm

For those of you who interviewed, and in particular, for those of you who interviewed successfully in the past, did you send a thank you email following the interview to your interviewer?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Knock wrote:So for my interview appointment, it doesn't give me an exact address. I need to book a hotel room, do I have to email them and ask them where the interview will be at?
I had to click on the little magnifying glass on the interview sign up page to find the address for mine. Have you tried that yet?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Knock wrote:So for my interview appointment, it doesn't give me an exact address. I need to book a hotel room, do I have to email them and ask them where the interview will be at?
I had to click on the little magnifying glass on the interview sign up page to find the address for mine. Have you tried that yet?
There we go! Thank you so much law monkey, you're a lifesaver :mrgreen:.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:23 pm

misterbingley wrote:anybody know how many hours seo interns are expected to work? are we supposed to stay until 9ish or can we go home at a reasonable hour?

Depends largely on the city, the firm, and the types of jobs you take on. I worked in DC and was in the office from about 8:00-5. However, I was also the victim of 2 hour lunches/mandatory trainings almost every day. About once or twice a week the firm would have after-hour events scheduled that you're expected to go to. Also factor the mandatory SEO firm receptions into your schedule. In DC there were a few in the morning, some in the afternoon, and (if I remember correctly) at least one in the evening. People in NY seemed to be able to get out of them, but smaller programs = more scrutiny.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 pm

TLSNYC wrote:For those of you who interviewed, and in particular, for those of you who interviewed successfully in the past, did you send a thank you email following the interview to your interviewer?
Yes.
MartianManhunter wrote:Also factor the mandatory SEO firm receptions into your schedule. In DC there were a few in the morning, some in the afternoon, and (if I remember correctly) at least one in the evening. People in NY seemed to be able to get out of them, but smaller programs = more scrutiny.
This is easy to overlook, but should not be forgotten.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Knock wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
There we go! Thank you so much law monkey, you're a lifesaver :mrgreen:.
No prob! I was confused at first too.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
Depends largely on the city, the firm, and the types of jobs you take on. I worked in DC and was in the office from about 8:00-5. However, I was also the victim of 2 hour lunches/mandatory trainings almost every day. About once or twice a week the firm would have after-hour events scheduled that you're expected to go to. Also factor the mandatory SEO firm receptions into your schedule. In DC there were a few in the morning, some in the afternoon, and (if I remember correctly) at least one in the evening. People in NY seemed to be able to get out of them, but smaller programs = more scrutiny.
Would you say that it's harder to get into the non-NYC programs since there are fewer spots? Or are there also fewer people with a preference for them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”