Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 am

Good luck to everyone applying to the Navy DA Board!

Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:57 pm

I posted this in another thread, but I thought i'd have more luck here:

I am a current law clerk, and an officer in the National Guard. I just found out that I need to mobilize in January for about 4-5 months. Before my clerkship I worked for a year at a V10, and they have given me an offer to come back after this clerkship (which ends in September). The firm doesn't know about the mobilization yet. My question: will I be able to start at the firm after my clerkship ends, say in October, and then leave for the mobilization three months later (after which I would return to the firm)? Do I tell them about the mobilization now?

I know that USERRA would probably protect me in this situation, but I don't want to burn bridges/come off as difficult with my new employer just three months after starting, especially considering that I may need the firm to be accommodating of my military service in the future if I end up having to deploy for a longer period. I don't think I can afford to just take 4 months off before the mobilization, so if I don't go to the firm until after the mobilization, I would probably have to find some kind of short-term job (which would be hard, and might look weird on the resume).

I'd appreciate any and all advice/input.

sNdChuck

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:40 am

Re: Military Law

Postby sNdChuck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:31 pm

For anyone who cares the Coast Guard DCL December board results were released. ~6 selectees, 2 alternates. Good luck to anyone applying to the February board.

Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that USERRA would probably protect me in this situation, but I don't want to burn bridges/come off as difficult with my new employer just three months after starting, especially considering that I may need the firm to be accommodating of my military service in the future if I end up having to deploy for a longer period. I don't think I can afford to just take 4 months off before the mobilization, so if I don't go to the firm until after the mobilization, I would probably have to find some kind of short-term job (which would be hard, and might look weird on the resume).


USERRA requires you to notify your employer of mobilizations (with exceptions for emergencies) in order to receive protections, so yes, you need to let them know. That said, would you prefer to extend your clerkship through December instead? If that's more desirable, I would ask your Judge and then present it to your firm as you being proactive and trying squeeze out a little more training time instead of starting and abruptly stopping to deploy. Give the firm the option of you coming on when agreed and leaving to deploy, but it should be clear that this would be better (understanding that your deployment date could be delayed/changed for reasons outside of your control).

If you can't extend the clerkship, look into whether you can strike short term orders with the Guard or another branch. Depending on where you live, you might be able to pull more AD pay while helping out a JAG office somewhere. Best of luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted this in another thread, but I thought i'd have more luck here:

I am a current law clerk, and an officer in the National Guard. I just found out that I need to mobilize in January for about 4-5 months. Before my clerkship I worked for a year at a V10, and they have given me an offer to come back after this clerkship (which ends in September). The firm doesn't know about the mobilization yet. My question: will I be able to start at the firm after my clerkship ends, say in October, and then leave for the mobilization three months later (after which I would return to the firm)? Do I tell them about the mobilization now?

I know that USERRA would probably protect me in this situation, but I don't want to burn bridges/come off as difficult with my new employer just three months after starting, especially considering that I may need the firm to be accommodating of my military service in the future if I end up having to deploy for a longer period. I don't think I can afford to just take 4 months off before the mobilization, so if I don't go to the firm until after the mobilization, I would probably have to find some kind of short-term job (which would be hard, and might look weird on the resume).

I'd appreciate any and all advice/input.


Do you have orders in hand yet? If not, there is nothing to report at this time. January is a long way off and there is a lot that can happen between now and then that would impact if/when you mob. Y

Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 am

OYCP cadet here. Had a question from some fellow cadets about if they can do an educational delay program to attend law school? I haven’t heard of that from current recruiters and can’t seem to find any current Air Force specific guidance on it.

I’ve found a few white papers from like 2011 that seem to indicate you can do educational delay to attend law school and then have to apply to the JAG corps 2nd or 3rd year almost like a direct appointment candidate.

Anyone able to confirm the existence of such a path?

User avatar
howell

Silver
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Has anyone started a federal job during terminal leave? If so, can I delay the start of health insurance through the civilian employee options until I have separated? Or do I just get both for a couple of months?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 pm

howell wrote:Has anyone started a federal job during terminal leave? If so, can I delay the start of health insurance through the civilian employee options until I have separated? Or do I just get both for a couple of months?


Starting the new job is the triggering QLE that enables you to get enrolled outside of Open Season. I don't think you will be able to claim the end of your AD time as a QLE under this situation.

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insuranc ... en-season/

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/life-events/

https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insuranc ... nrollment/

Depending on the specifics, you may be able to just hold off on making your health insurance election for as long as possible. For FEHB, I think it is 60 days:

Enrollment Timeframes

You may enroll or change enrollment during Open Season or within a specific timeframe of experiencing a Qualifying Life Event. For most of the enrollment opportunities, you will have up to 60 days after the date of the event. Note that if you take the full 60 days, you will be without FEHB coverage until the effective date of your enrollment

User avatar
howell

Silver
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks! I might just slow-roll the application process. The overlap is just over 60 days, so that should work out well.

advet

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby advet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone on the Dec 18 Army JAG selection list received an email JARO? I was selected as a primary but have not heard anything since I sent my letter of intent.

keong678

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby keong678 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:36 pm

advet wrote:Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone on the Dec 18 Army JAG selection list received an email JARO? I was selected as a primary but have not heard anything since I sent my letter of intent.



You should have gotten a long email with bunch of attachments. You have to send back 3 spreasheets too. I am AD so I am not sure about AR component. Check your spam folder and if you still cant find the email I would contact JARO since all medical needs to be scheduled prior to April 1st.

User avatar
jam313

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby jam313 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 pm

advet wrote:Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone on the Dec 18 Army JAG selection list received an email JARO? I was selected as a primary but have not heard anything since I sent my letter of intent.


For AD, an email was sent out on Feb 5 @ 3:32pm. Definitely get in contact with JARO if you didn't get your email/welcome packet yet.

BTW: anyone contacted by DoDMERB or able to log into dodmets.com yet?
Last edited by jam313 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:37 pm

For Army accessions, anyone have any news on medical processing? Are we supposed to wait until they reach out to us to schedule the physical exams?

Anonymous User
Posts: 329051
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:58 pm

This is a question specific to the Army:

In your first four years, how much control do you have over your career and your practice area? For example, if I am currently am an environmental law attorney, is there anything I can do to make sure (or at least increase my chances) I get exposure to environmental law in the Army? Does selecting a duty station play any part in this, or are duty stations mainly a geographical consideration, i.e., where I would like to live for the next year or two?

FSUAttorney

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby FSUAttorney » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a question specific to the Army:

In your first four years, how much control do you have over your career and your practice area? For example, if I am currently am an environmental law attorney, is there anything I can do to make sure (or at least increase my chances) I get exposure to environmental law in the Army? Does selecting a duty station play any part in this, or are duty stations mainly a geographical consideration, i.e., where I would like to live for the next year or two?


You will have very little control over your career/practice area out of the gate. Very, very, very few attorneys in the Army practice in environmental law.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.