Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wrangler9

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby wrangler9 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 pm

wrangler9 wrote:Anyone get a call regarding assignment today.



I have not gotten a call, but from what I understand they started making the calls yesterday. I will let you know if I get a call today though![/quote]


Just got the call! See you all in Jan!

csjdoc

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby csjdoc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm

wrangler9 wrote:
wrangler9 wrote:Anyone get a call regarding assignment today.



I have not gotten a call, but from what I understand they started making the calls yesterday. I will let you know if I get a call today though!



Just got the call! See you all in Jan![/quote]

Congrats! Hopefully I get a call tomorrow.

csjdoc

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby csjdoc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 pm

wrangler9 wrote:
wrangler9 wrote:Anyone get a call regarding assignment today.



I have not gotten a call, but from what I understand they started making the calls yesterday. I will let you know if I get a call today though!



Just got the call! See you all in Jan![/quote]

I got the call too! Spoke too soon!

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how much of a possibility it is to transition from JAG after 4yrs/at O-3 to the FBI or CIA (assuming Arabic proficiency) or to an AUSA/D.Ct. Clerkship? I did JAG my 1L summer. I loved the lifestyle/community but was pretty meh on the actual job. On top of Arabic proficiency, let's also assume T14 median/slightly above (assuming my 2L/3L grades don't change that much).

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew how much of a possibility it is to transition from JAG after 4yrs/at O-3 to the FBI or CIA (assuming Arabic proficiency) or to an AUSA/D.Ct. Clerkship? I did JAG my 1L summer. I loved the lifestyle/community but was pretty meh on the actual job. On top of Arabic proficiency, let's also assume T14 median/slightly above (assuming my 2L/3L grades don't change that much).


Possible?

Sure. I can think of 3-4 peers/friends from my JASOC class that are now FBI Agents (I'm assuming you mean Agent versus GC). The jump to a CIA Case Officer (also assuming you mean something NCS versus GC) is less obvious - I have no idea if legal skills will give you any edge in that role. I think the transition to FBI is a little more direct given they are Federal law enforcement and time as an officer and trial counsel would lend itself to some of those macro skill sets.

AUSA - this has been discussed to death. Only if you have significant trial experience (which you are not getting in the first four years alone) and some of the more competitive districts (SDNY, EDVA, etc) may not be interested unless you are checking additional boxes.

Clerkship - I have no idea about the market for already licensed and practicing lawyers going to clerk. Can't say if time as a JAG helps that case versus any other type of legal practice.

Going in for four years with the expectation that you won't like the work is not setting yourself up for success. Having the attitude that the work is beneath you or otherwise not worth your time will be obvious. I've worked with JAGs where it is obvious they are only doing the job because they consider wearing the uniform a helpful springboard into something bigger and better -- they were generally not team players and not liked.

I don't think anyone has to sign up for their initial tour with the mindset that they are doing 20+, but I think successful JAGs go in with an open mind and are performers from day one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 pm

If anyone has any specific questions about DCC -- ask away. I was just in a recent class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has any specific questions about DCC -- ask away. I was just in a recent class.


What do you wish you knew about the DCC prior to starting?

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has any specific questions about DCC -- ask away. I was just in a recent class.


What do you wish you knew about the DCC prior to starting?


Not the same Anon, but I wanted to answer this question with my experience:

1. That it is much EASIER than you are probably anticipating as long as you are in good physical shape. If you are out of shape or have any lingering injuries (shin splints, bad shoulder, etc.) you are going to have a very difficult time. If you can pass an APFT comfortably and can run more than 3 miles at about an 8min pace, you should have absolutely no problem with the physical demands of the course.

2. That DCC is NOT anywhere close to BCT: you will have free time and will be treated like an adult. Make friends, go out, have fun, and relax on your days off; just don't drink too much or make stupid decisions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has any specific questions about DCC -- ask away. I was just in a recent class.


What do you wish you knew about the DCC prior to starting?


Not the same Anon, but I wanted to answer this question with my experience:

1. That it is much EASIER than you are probably anticipating as long as you are in good physical shape. If you are out of shape or have any lingering injuries (shin splints, bad shoulder, etc.) you are going to have a very difficult time. If you can pass an APFT comfortably and can run more than 3 miles at about an 8min pace, you should have absolutely no problem with the physical demands of the course.

2. That DCC is NOT anywhere close to BCT: you will have free time and will be treated like an adult. Make friends, go out, have fun, and relax on your days off; just don't drink too much or make stupid decisions.


This makes me feel a lot better and less stressed. Thank you!

SamSmith1220

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby SamSmith1220 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything from the November/December Army JAG board?

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Has anyone heard about selections from the Army JAG November/December board?

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has any specific questions about DCC -- ask away. I was just in a recent class.


What do you wish you knew about the DCC prior to starting?


Not the same Anon, but I wanted to answer this question with my experience:

1. That it is much EASIER than you are probably anticipating as long as you are in good physical shape. If you are out of shape or have any lingering injuries (shin splints, bad shoulder, etc.) you are going to have a very difficult time. If you can pass an APFT comfortably and can run more than 3 miles at about an 8min pace, you should have absolutely no problem with the physical demands of the course.

2. That DCC is NOT anywhere close to BCT: you will have free time and will be treated like an adult. Make friends, go out, have fun, and relax on your days off; just don't drink too much or make stupid decisions.


This makes me feel a lot better and less stressed. Thank you!


Anon who posted the question, same here. Thanks!

Followup as to No. 2, as there seems to be free time, do you recommend that we bring our cars down to Ft. Benning?

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has any specific questions about DCC -- ask away. I was just in a recent class.


What do you wish you knew about the DCC prior to starting?


Not the same Anon, but I wanted to answer this question with my experience:

1. That it is much EASIER than you are probably anticipating as long as you are in good physical shape. If you are out of shape or have any lingering injuries (shin splints, bad shoulder, etc.) you are going to have a very difficult time. If you can pass an APFT comfortably and can run more than 3 miles at about an 8min pace, you should have absolutely no problem with the physical demands of the course.

2. That DCC is NOT anywhere close to BCT: you will have free time and will be treated like an adult. Make friends, go out, have fun, and relax on your days off; just don't drink too much or make stupid decisions.


This makes me feel a lot better and less stressed. Thank you!


Anon who posted the question, same here. Thanks!

Followup as to No. 2, as there seems to be free time, do you recommend that we bring our cars down to Ft. Benning?



Yes, absolutely.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:03 am

Hello all,

I am a new commission in the Navy JAG, just trudging through the process waiting for my next stop, but was just curious if anyone had any inside info on how the LLM process works, as I have yet to get the complete picture.

I am looking to spend my career in the Navy and I am very interested in an LLM down the line. Is there anything I should be doing early on to prepare for that?

Also, I have heard in passing that DC schools are common landing spots, I have seen UVA mentioned several places as well, how does all that work? Would I have the freedom to apply to any school, or just a select few? And say the school I wanted to attend was UVA, would I simply apply as a regular student through their website/LSAC, or does the Navy have a different application process?

Thanks.

bergers2short

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby bergers2short » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am

Try to find out if this is the latest instruction, but either way it should be helpful for giving you some ideas: http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/instruc ... 520_1D.pdf

I'm at GW (GI Bill ex-SWO) which, as you said, always gets JAG LLM students. I don't have any Navy JAGs in my classes this year, so no one to ask directly for you. But frankly, if you can't find an answer through PERS/references, you can call GW's admissions and ask them how they accept their Navy LLMs. I imagine their admission process for Navy JAGs would be the same for every school. They're super military friendly and the head of admissions is a military spouse, so I don't think they'll give you a hard time for asking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:46 pm

PSA: For AFJAGs attending officer training in January, apparently families are NOT invited to graduation.

User avatar
howell

Silver
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PSA: For AFJAGs attending officer training in January, apparently families are NOT invited to graduation.

Was a reason given? I'm trying to come up with something non-awful, like, "With the combined TFOT, we currently don't enough seating at graduation for everyone's families."

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Have calls started going out for Army?

User avatar
chadwickbradshaw

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby chadwickbradshaw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Have not heard anything yet about Army. They said that we should hear back by the week of the 17th. There might be some delay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:33 pm

howell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PSA: For AFJAGs attending officer training in January, apparently families are NOT invited to graduation.

Was a reason given? I'm trying to come up with something non-awful, like, "With the combined TFOT, we currently don't enough seating at graduation for everyone's families."


None at all.

User avatar
Dawg57

Bronze
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Dawg57 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 am

chadwickbradshaw wrote:Have not heard anything yet about Army. They said that we should hear back by the week of the 17th. There might be some delay.


Any reason you know of why there might be some delay, or you just speculating? I would hope there isn’t any. If we don’t hear today I can’t imagine hearing anything before the end of next week either given the skeleton crew that would be in place for the first half of next week with the holiday.

My point is, I’ll be checking every half hour all day long.. :lol: :?

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 am

For what it's worth, last year's selections came out on Friday, December 22 on the JARO website at about 9 or 10 AM. You will then shortly thereafter receive an email if the selection notification hasn't changed.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:PSA: For AFJAGs attending officer training in January, apparently families are NOT invited to graduation.


Depriving those families of a chance to travel to exotic Montomgery, Alabama to witness terrible marching around a parade field.

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm

The wait for the Army list to post is torture.

Monday is a Federal holiday. Today would seem to be the likely date of announcement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 334302
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The wait for the Army list to post is torture.

Monday is a Federal holiday. Today would seem to be the likely date of announcement?


FWIW the FB page updated earlier today to say the list will be posted “in the upcoming days”

Also fwiw I got a call from my interviewer with good news about an hour ago or so. I’d keep your phone close.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.