Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
heyarnold

New

Re: Military Law

Postby heyarnold » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 am

What's the protocol for Briefcases / Messenger Bags? Do they need to be either black or olive to match ABU's? Is there an everyday messenger bag that y'all often see, but something different (like a fancy portfolio accordion folder) that you see in the courtroom ?

Any recommendations or online links would be much appreciated :D

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am

heyarnold wrote:What's the protocol for Briefcases / Messenger Bags? Do they need to be either black or olive to match ABU's? Is there an everyday messenger bag that y'all often see, but something different (like a fancy portfolio accordion folder) that you see in the courtroom ?

Any recommendations or online links would be much appreciated :D

AFI 36-2903 is your one stop shopping location for all questions related to uniforms and accessories.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/produ ... 6-2903.pdf

I recommend sticking with black as it can be worn with ABUs, OCPs, Blues, and Service Dress. Other colors may be permitted with ABU/OCP but are not authorized for Blues/Service Dress. Keep it simple.

When you are a junior trial counsel, I don't think it really matters what you are using. You have home field advantage with a court-room that will be located in or near your legal office, so schlepping documents and books around is not that big of a deal.

For those going on to be ADCs and STCs, you want something durable and functional over fancy. With all the travel, anything you have is going to get beat to hell. You will also want something light given you are going to be running through airports with it.

Personally, I think a junior TC with a fancy black briefcase or bag would look a little silly - basically that you are trying way too hard to look like a lawyer on TV. No military judge or panel of officers is going to be impressed with that as you are sitting there with the three "thanks for joining" ribbons on your chest.

I have used a black Timbuk2 messenger for basically all of my military and civilian career:

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all ... senger-bag

Great quality, does not stand out, and lasts forever. I had one all through law school and most of my active duty time until a protein shake spilled inside of it and it ended up smelling like death - that was the only reason I had to replace it. Even with DOJ/USAO, I was not using my fancy bags/briefcases for most of the work - why beat up a nice piece of leather by jamming it in the airplane's overhead?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Has anyone heard back regarding timeline or orders for the January JAG class?

csjdoc

New

Postby csjdoc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back regarding timeline or orders for the January JAG class?

I'm going to assume that you're referring to Army JAG. If you're seated for the January class, you'll received confirmation around the middle of November. You'll receive your orders around the week of Christmas and the January class will begin on January 21, 2019.

Return to “Legal Employment?