Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Quasar wrote:Congrats to everyone who recieved the call and good luck to those still waiting or re-applying!

For those who have taken the full-length photograph required by all applications -- any advice on background, pose, suit color, camera quality?

Conservative suit - navy or gray. White or blue shirt. Conservative tie with a proper knot. If it is not something you could pick out of a Brooks Brothers (and not the annoying WASPy at the Hamptons stuff), you should reassess. This is not a time to show off your sartorial creativity. Same goes for your hair cut - you don't need the ol high and tight but it better be well groomed and conservative.

Pose: Facing the camera directly or slightly angled at the shoulder. Hands at your side.

I honestly would not recommend any friend, spouse, etc taking the picture even if they have a good camera. Get it down at an actual studio - a Sears or Walmart is not going to charge you much and the quality improvement is noticeable. Do not invest all of this time and effort on your applicant and then phone it in when it comes to the picture.

You are the question of "can this person adapt and excel in a military environment?" Look the part. Also, as noted by the other posters, don't look fat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Quasar wrote:Congrats to everyone who recieved the call and good luck to those still waiting or re-applying!

For those who have taken the full-length photograph required by all applications -- any advice on background, pose, suit color, camera quality?

Conservative suit - navy or gray. White or blue shirt. Conservative tie with a proper knot. If it is not something you could pick out of a Brooks Brothers (and not the annoying WASPy at the Hamptons stuff), you should reassess. This is not a time to show off your sartorial creativity. Same goes for your hair cut - you don't need the ol high and tight but it better be well groomed and conservative.

Pose: Facing the camera directly or slightly angled at the shoulder. Hands at your side.

I honestly would not recommend any friend, spouse, etc taking the picture even if they have a good camera. Get it down at an actual studio - a Sears or Walmart is not going to charge you much and the quality improvement is noticeable. Do not invest all of this time and effort on your applicant and then phone it in when it comes to the picture.

You are the question of "can this person adapt and excel in a military environment?" Look the part. Also, as noted by the other posters, don't look fat.

That being said- if you're poor, a phone pic could be okay. Anecdotal, but I had mine taken with a 2013 iPotato and was hired

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

hkh2220 wrote:Army AD for Jan 2018 Class-

Does anyone know anything about when we sign our commissioning documents or get a look at potential duty stations?

Maybe someone from previous classes can shed light- I know in years past it's been right around early/mid November.
Training starts in less than two months. I hope we hear something soon.

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hkh2220 wrote:Army AD for Jan 2018 Class-

Does anyone know anything about when we sign our commissioning documents or get a look at potential duty stations?

Maybe someone from previous classes can shed light- I know in years past it's been right around early/mid November.
Training starts in less than two months. I hope we hear something soon.

Agreed. I would like to reference an objective document that definitively states I have a seat for the upcoming class. I'm sure its common that everyone in our position is somewhat anxious, but I fear a last-minute "class is cancelled" or "you lost your spot."

Bcmurphy42

Postby Bcmurphy42 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Hey all, I got that awesome phone call last week as well! Pretty excited about it.

I have been practicing for a little two years and have a very successful practice thanks to some great senior attorneys in my office. My decision to apply for JAG was out of a sense of service and so badly want to serve my country as a JAG, it’s really been a dream.

However, my wife is pregnant with or second child (due in February) and I have my practice with 150-200 active clients with trials scheduled out as far as March.

I am wondering if anyone has ever been in a situation where they were able to delay COT/JASOC! I need to wind up my practice and obviously be there for my new child, if at all possible.

Any thoughts!? Any feedback is appreciated!

froglaw23

Postby froglaw23 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Bcmurphy42 wrote:Hey all, I got that awesome phone call last week as well! Pretty excited about it.

I have been practicing for a little two years and have a very successful practice thanks to some great senior attorneys in my office. My decision to apply for JAG was out of a sense of service and so badly want to serve my country as a JAG, it’s really been a dream.

However, my wife is pregnant with or second child (due in February) and I have my practice with 150-200 active clients with trials scheduled out as far as March.

I am wondering if anyone has ever been in a situation where they were able to delay COT/JASOC! I need to wind up my practice and obviously be there for my new child, if at all possible.

I'm in nearly the same placed. Received the call last week and extremely excited. Been practicing for a while and was told that March COT was likely. However, wife is due with our first baby right in the middle of COT and it hasn't been an easy pregnancy, so I need to be there for my wife/new child too. Ideally I'd do COT in January...but if not - how have peoples experiences been with delaying, even if just one COT class to May/JASOC in July? Thanks for the feedback!

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

froglaw23 wrote:
Bcmurphy42 wrote:Hey all, I got that awesome phone call last week as well! Pretty excited about it.

I'm in nearly the same placed. Received the call last week and extremely excited. Been practicing for a while and was told that March COT was likely. However, wife is due with our first baby right in the middle of COT and it hasn't been an easy pregnancy, so I need to be there for my wife/new child too. Ideally I'd do COT in January...but if not - how have peoples experiences been with delaying, even if just one COT class to May/JASOC in July? Thanks for the feedback!

You all just need to call JAX and explain your situation. Lay it out and see if they are willing to deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

For those waiting on JAOBC, here are some useful links on what to expect:

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/dcc/

https://www.garrettham.com/army-dcc-1/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Is it true that its harder to get selected for any of the JAG's if you just apply in the spring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Is it true that its harder to get selected for any of the JAG's if you just apply in the spring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Just had my SJA interview for OYCP. Now what? Do I just sit back and wait for selection results? Is there anything I should be doing in the mean time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it true that its harder to get selected for any of the JAG's if you just apply in the spring?

Depends on the branch and if you're a 2L or 3L. For the Navy it's probably easier for 2L's to get selected in the spring than fall (they select very few in the fall). Overall selection rates are about the same though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Heading to 205th JAOBC. Question, will the Army pay to ship a vehicle to DCC in January?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heading to 205th JAOBC. Question, will the Army pay to ship a vehicle to DCC in January?

Put simply, the answer is no, but you will be reimbursed at least for the cost of airfare from your location to DCC, and may be reimbursed for mileage & many other expenses depending on where you are coming from, your active/reserve/ng status, and your follow-on assignment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heading to 205th JAOBC. Question, will the Army pay to ship a vehicle to DCC in January?

Put simply, the answer is no, but you will be reimbursed at least for the cost of airfare from your location to DCC, and may be reimbursed for mileage & many other expenses depending on where you are coming from, your active/reserve/ng status, and your follow-on assignment.

So we aren't arranging for travel through Carlson Wagonlit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So we aren't arranging for travel through Carlson Wagonlit?

That will depend on your swear-in date, AD/RC/NG status, and other administrative considerations.

Return to “Legal Employment”