Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what happens with the medical forms from the DODMERB physical? Do they get submitted electronically? Are they mailed?

The reason I ask is that when I went for my eye exam, the eye doctor saw me immediately, explained the process, performed the exam, and submitted it electronically on the spot and this is reflected on my application status.

The doctor, on the other hand, was a complete disaster. I was told I could not make an appointment and that I had to be a walk in, when I arriaved I waited for over 3 hours before being seen, the office was clearly understaffed, the doctor just took notes all over my packet, and my application status does not show anything for my physical. If he mailed the results in, I guess it could still be a few days before it gets processed, but if they are supposed to be submitted electronically or via fax, I think I may need to follow up to make sure he sent them over.
You should def follow up with the doctor. Both of my forms were submitted electronically.
Thanks for the info. Was about to give them a follow up call but decided to check dodmets again, and they actually uploaded it just a few minutes ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 am

Deleted because my previous post was duplicated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm

On the Army side, is the Statement of Intent a binding document? There are a few tempting open positions in my area, and I do not know if I can survive financially while waiting to start training.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the Army side, is the Statement of Intent a binding document? There are a few tempting open positions in my area, and I do not know if I can survive financially while waiting to start training.
Nothing is binding until you actually commission and sign on the dotted line

Standish

New

Post by Standish » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the Army side, is the Statement of Intent a binding document? There are a few tempting open positions in my area, and I do not know if I can survive financially while waiting to start training.
Even if the Statement of Intent were binding, there's no expectation that you won't take a temporary job before you start training. As long as you show up for training on the first day, you are fully fulfilling the Statement of Intent. There are practicing attorneys that were accepted that will continue working until they have to quit to start with JAG. Just accepting a future job offer with JAG isn't a commitment to immediately not work for anyone else between the acceptance and the start date.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Standish wrote:
Even if the Statement of Intent were binding, there's no expectation that you won't take a temporary job before you start training. As long as you show up for training on the first day, you are fully fulfilling the Statement of Intent. There are practicing attorneys that were accepted that will continue working until they have to quit to start with JAG. Just accepting a future job offer with JAG isn't a commitment to immediately not work for anyone else between the acceptance and the start date.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone taken the OPAT? Thoughts?
Took the OPAT not too long ago. As long as you are in reasonable shape it should not be hard to qualify at the JAG level.

The specific tests and requirements are on the JARO site. Just be prepared that you may be taking the test with a lot of new enlistees, and the recruiters may still actively be "recruiting" during the testing process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 am

For Army selects, anybody know how long after you submit your assignment preference sheet that you receive a call from JARO about the assignment (per the email instructions)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:For Army selects, anybody know how long after you submit your assignment preference sheet that you receive a call from JARO about the assignment (per the email instructions)?
Were we supposed to receive an email after the conference call? I haven't gotten anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For Army selects, anybody know how long after you submit your assignment preference sheet that you receive a call from JARO about the assignment (per the email instructions)?
Were we supposed to receive an email after the conference call? I haven't gotten anything.
This is for the May 2017 class. I'm assuming you're talking about the Oct 2017 class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Our POC did say he was going to send a follow up email after he finished all of the conference calls. I'm assuming there is so much going on at JARO that he has been unable to. However, if you go to their website, click on the Accepted JAs link, all the instructions and pertinent forms are there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:14 pm

^This. You should send your JARO, HRC, and DODMERB docs now. My buddy and I are 3L Army selectees, and we both got an email from DODMERB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^This. You should send your JARO, HRC, and DODMERB docs now. My buddy and I are 3L Army selectees, and we both got an email from DODMERB.
Same here. 3L and have my exams and OPAT scheduled for next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:24 am

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^This. You should send your JARO, HRC, and DODMERB docs now. My buddy and I are 3L Army selectees, and we both got an email from DODMERB.
I have been unable to find the JARO memo for the OPAT (active duty) on the website ??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
I have been unable to find the JARO memo for the OPAT (active duty) on the website ??
It's under the documents named USAREC MSG: 17-023.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Does the Army pay to move your stuff from your home of record to your first duty station, or do they only start to pay for moves when you PCS to your second duty station?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:06 am

Army will pay for first move from HOR to First Duty Station.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Anyone know if Jags get foreign language proficiency pay?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Jags get foreign language proficiency pay?
This is going to vary by each of the services. I remember one of the Air Force JAGs I was deployed with working on the testing process (Tagalog) during his downtime. That said, that was way back in 2010-2011: sequestration and other factors have changed the budget landscape, so I have no idea on the current state of things.

http://culture.af.mil/assets/afi364002.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:03 am

Some questions for other accepted JAGs in the December 2016 Board, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts as there's a lot of forms and logistics to go through in such a short time allotment.

1) I submitted the initial three forms through the SAFE Inbox like with the statement of intent (which was correctly downloaded), but these forms weren't downloaded in time by DoD before they were automatically deleted. Was there a special naming convention for them to use? (I couldn't find anything to that effect so simply named them such as "DODMERB Medical Worksheet" and so on). Given how these forms are the intial ones we need to get the appointments scheduled I really want them to process!

2) Have you all received any other group emails since the notification about the conference call? I remember it was mentioned that there would be a follow up email after the call but I never received one.

Thanks all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 pm

1. Good question. I sent docs last week that still haven't been downloaded and are set to be deleted soon.

2. Received a DODMETS email last week to schedule medical. According to JARO, this needs to be done by May. I'd contact them directly if you haven't gotten that email.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some questions for other accepted JAGs in the December 2016 Board, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts as there's a lot of forms and logistics to go through in such a short time allotment.

1) I submitted the initial three forms through the SAFE Inbox like with the statement of intent (which was correctly downloaded), but these forms weren't downloaded in time by DoD before they were automatically deleted. Was there a special naming convention for them to use? (I couldn't find anything to that effect so simply named them such as "DODMERB Medical Worksheet" and so on). Given how these forms are the intial ones we need to get the appointments scheduled I really want them to process!

2) Have you all received any other group emails since the notification about the conference call? I remember it was mentioned that there would be a follow up email after the call but I never received one.

Thanks all!
1) Mine weren't downloaded either ... Thinking I may re-upload to be on the safe side.

2) I received an email to start DODMERB but I have not received any followup email from JARO re: things discussed during the conference call.

I wanted to get the drug tests out of the way but wasn't sure which ones to get done. Reached out to my FSO and he was told by JARO that a followup email would be sent out with this information ... still nothing from them and that was almost two weeks ago. I know they're extremely busy. I just don't want to miss anything and delay the already long accessions process.

Standish

New

Post by Standish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm

aka123 wrote:I wanted to get the drug tests out of the way but wasn't sure which ones to get done. Reached out to my FSO and he was told by JARO that a followup email would be sent out with this information... but that was almost two weeks ago.
On the accepted JAs page there's a document called "medical processing and qualification for appointment" that outlines the drug test. They list an HIV test, drug test for THC, cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, PCP, and alcohol. Also a urinalysis for protein and glucose. If you're female, they need a pregnancy test. There are a few other tests if you are 40 or older.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Standish wrote:
aka123 wrote:I wanted to get the drug tests out of the way but wasn't sure which ones to get done. Reached out to my FSO and he was told by JARO that a followup email would be sent out with this information... but that was almost two weeks ago.
On the accepted JAs page there's a document called "medical processing and qualification for appointment" that outlines the drug test. They list an HIV test, drug test for THC, cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, PCP, and alcohol. Also a urinalysis for protein and glucose. If you're female, they need a pregnancy test. There are a few other tests if you are 40 or older.
Oh great! Can't believe I missed that. Thanks so much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”