Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wg6524

Re: Military Law

Postby wg6524 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 pm

chili_davis wrote:Prior service 0L here....Beginning LS this fall and extremely interested in becoming a JAG officer. Any advice for incoming law students to become more competitive? Also, is it possible to transition from 3L to active duty following the summer bar exams?? Curious how to make that transition without having to take a job that I plan on leaving a few months later. Any advice would be much appreciated!

My opinion: Focus on studies your first year and only a little bit of resume building. Mid-1L year apply for internships with the different JAG Corps (including the Coast Guard). 2L-3L year apply to every service you want and do it every cycle you're eligible for. You'll likely have to wait until after bar results to go active; unless you're marine. Then you may have to put off the bar until after OCS. If you're in the reserves at the same time, don't shy away from a hard job just because you're in school. I took battery command and it's a tough balance; but manageable.

Fletch.F.Fletch

Postby Fletch.F.Fletch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:56 am

Can anyone clarify if the Statement of Intent is binding? I assume Army uses it to weed out folks who have taken other jobs or are pursuing other options, but I'd like a little certainty as to when I'm signing my life over. Appreciate any insights.

Also, does anyone know if we get location assignments prior to training/incurring a service commitment?

Backload

Postby Backload » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Fletch.F.Fletch wrote:Can anyone clarify if the Statement of Intent is binding? I assume Army uses it to weed out folks who have taken other jobs or are pursuing other options, but I'd like a little certainty as to when I'm signing my life over. Appreciate any insights.

Also, does anyone know if we get location assignments prior to training/incurring a service commitment?

Non-binding. You still have to pass medical and security clearance. Once that is done you'll talk over assignment locations then be offered one and then sign on the dotted line.

jagnut

Postby jagnut » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 pm

chili_davis wrote:Prior service 0L here....Beginning LS this fall and extremely interested in becoming a JAG officer. Any advice for incoming law students to become more competitive? Also, is it possible to transition from 3L to active duty following the summer bar exams?? Curious how to make that transition without having to take a job that I plan on leaving a few months later. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'd start with reading every page of this forum. This is the best source of information out there -period- although it takes some patience to sift through and find exactly what you are looking for. The honorable Patrick Bateman posted a lot of gold over the years. It also very much depends on which branch you'd like to pursue. I am prior service AF, and was hired by AF JAG as a 1L, so that's really all I can speak to. If you have no interest in Air Force, or going the GLP/OYCP AFROTC route, then no need to read further. But if an aspiring AF JAG happens upon this, I'll summarize my process since I feel like I owe a lot to this forum.

1) Don't be overweight. If you are- use the summer to slim down. 2) Don't have a bad prior service record. Being prior service is a double edged sword. It can help, but only if your record is clean. For the AF, I had to furnish all EPRs and thankfully they were clean. If you have any minor black marks be ready to explain them. 3) Most people will just say focus on your studies, but since your first potential interview is still about a year away (if you pursue AF)- it actually wouldn't hurt to try and gain some leadership experience over the summer or at your job now. You will likely be asked examples of when you were a leader, and how you handled situations. It's a little awkward when you don't have leadership experience and makes it hard for the interviewer to write a glowing recommendation. 4) Start to figure out 5-7 people you could get a LoR from- track down old supervisors and old commanders if you can. I probably wouldn't reach out to them just yet- but you'll eventually need 5 letters so it doesn't hurt to keep a list. If you are prior service and none of your LoR's are from military folk, that would look odd. 5) Once the semester starts, forget about JAG and focus on your classes. You can join some clubs that interest you or that relate to criminal justice, but your grades and writing sample will be more important.

If you want to pursue AF JAG, then apply January of 1L year for the Graduate Law Program. Even though the GLP and OYCP are more selective then regular accessions, applying and showing legitimate interest as a 1L can only help you down the road. Also, the earlier you apply, the less law school accomplishments they can expect from you. The usual advice is do everything crim and court related as possible, but when you interview January of 1L, those questions are easy because you will have no experience. The application is online and opens sometime in the fall. Find it and open it up to see all the requirements, but you can do much of that work over winter break. 6) Around October/November things heat up with classes, but start to collect your LoRs and transcripts. I waited too late for a few things and had to do some begging and pleading in early Jan to hit the deadline- don't be that guy. 7) Also around that time reach out to the local ROTC detachment and schedule an interview with the CC. He/she will have to agree to accept you if you are selected and they will give their recommendation. It's important- be humble. 8.) Figure out the exact deadline for the application and get everything submitted on time. For advice on the personal statement- the JAG wants officers first and lawyers second- express that sentiment, assuming you mean it. They evaluate each candidate using the "whole person" concept. That makes advice hard to give- just be well rounded. Hopefully you are generally likable. 9) After you submit the package online, you will either receive a phone call from the nearest base (or the one you chose) or you will reach out to them to schedule an interview with the SJAG. Expect a long, in-depth interview, but nothing crazy. They will use that interview to write a report/recommendation. Then you wait about 6-8 weeks to find out if you were selected. 2 years ago they selected 7 GLP and 11 OYCP across the country. I don't know how many applied.

If you go through the GLP/OYCP, you will get orders once you get (passing) bar results back and as long as medical goes smoothly, you shouldn't need another "real" job. If you are lucky you can sneak into the Fall JASOC (tech school) but more likely you'll go to the March one, but many receive AD orders in the fall and work several months before TDYing to JASOC. If you are hired as a 3L, I believe you will likely go active duty at COT in January/Feb that next year, so you'll only need a job to the extent you need to survive until then. Again, this is Air Force. I've heard the Army has longer waiting time.

Good luck!
Last edited by jagnut on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:27 pm

For any recent AF COT graduates - do any of you have the most recent COT uniform checklist handy? I am helping a co-worker knock out his uniform purchases a head of time and a search of the AU site shows a couple different versions of the checklist.

From what I have found, this one looks the most on point:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/ ... cklist.pdf

If there is a more recent copy, please shoot me an email at Illini.JAG@gmail.com

macgruber

Postby macgruber » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 pm

For those in the Army JAG who may know,

Is Korea a possible first assignment for Army JAGs?

Standish

Postby Standish » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 pm

macgruber wrote:For those in the Army JAG who may know,

Is Korea a possible first assignment for Army JAGs?

Yes. Someone posted on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/ ... h=2ef59eea asking about whether he should go to Korea for his first JAG assignment.

macgruber

Postby macgruber » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks alot Standish. Very helpful.

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Is there a list that we can look at for AD Army locations? Or does that change year to year based on needs of the various bases?

Wanted to just take a look at the options that we were going to be presented with. I would assume its similar to what I had to fill out for the 2L internship

Standish

Postby Standish » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:Is there a list that we can look at for AD Army locations? Or does that change year to year based on needs of the various bases?

Wanted to just take a look at the options that we were going to be presented with. I would assume its similar to what I had to fill out for the 2L internship

I would guess it changes from year to year. Someone on Reddit posted the options from the most recent year: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/ ... h=816043c7

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Standish wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:Is there a list that we can look at for AD Army locations? Or does that change year to year based on needs of the various bases?

I would guess it changes from year to year. Someone on Reddit posted the options from the most recent year: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/ ... h=816043c7

Very helpful! Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 am

There is really almost no point in attempting to forecast what is available. The list posted on Reddit lists just about every possible destination in the Army - which is pretty typical of the way the Army assigns all officers to their first duty location.

I would guess with the way that JAG rotates their personnel, that the list will remain the just about the same year after year - what will change based on the year is the likelihood of getting a given assignment.

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:There is really almost no point in attempting to forecast what is available. The list posted on Reddit lists just about every possible destination in the Army - which is pretty typical of the way the Army assigns all officers to their first duty location.

I would guess with the way that JAG rotates their personnel, that the list will remain the just about the same year after year - what will change based on the year is the likelihood of getting a given assignment.

Agreed. Just looking for something to read other than these barbri outlines for the bar lol

theorangewon

Postby theorangewon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Anyone have info about USMC summer internships or Navy JAG? Want to know what I need to be doing to prepare to apply for an internship with them.

JackSparrow123

Postby JackSparrow123 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:03 am

Both Air Force and Army JAG select here. Anyone heard back from Air Force JAG about medical interviews yet? I know the practicing attorneys get to go first but was wondering if any current law students had already gone through the medical interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 am

I was offered Army JAG 2017, but because of existing obligations, I had to decline (had accepted a 2-year position before Army offer came in). The recruiter then offered to move me to 2018, to which I said yes and asked that he send me some sort of written confirmation of the change. I sent back the requisite spreadsheets and such, but never heard anything else.
He is non-responsive to multiple emails, does not answer his phone, and his voicemail is full. Last week I received an email about getting ready to schedule for OPAT, but it seems like it was intended for 2017 accessions.

Any advice? I have begun applying to 2018 D.Ct. clerkships in case this falls through for me, but other than that I am concerned about being left high and dry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Above poster - It seems like your recruiter is being non-responsive to lots of folks. Maybe contact JARO directly? Army does allow you to defer your commission, so you should be good.

Based on earlier posts, it sounds like the Army has already contacted those that were selected last month. Is this right? I haven't heard anything since submitting the statement of intent several weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm an Army select as well, and have yet to hear back from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.

pzpzhops2

Postby pzpzhops2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 pm

JackSparrow123 wrote:Both Air Force and Army JAG select here. Anyone heard back from Air Force JAG about medical interviews yet? I know the practicing attorneys get to go first but was wondering if any current law students had already gone through the medical interview.

As far as the initial interview with the Air Force recruiter, you are supposed to contact him to schedule an interview.

thxrho

Postby thxrho » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an Army select as well, and have yet to hear back from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.

I'm a practicing attorney and Army AD select. Practicing attorneys were given the option to attempt to join the May 2017 JAOBC, provided they could meet all of the deadlines in an expedited fashion. Emails related to this are the only communication I've had from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.

Anon, are you a 3L? If so, it seems they are working to fill the May JAOBC class before they move on to current students.

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Thxrho, yes, I'm a current 3L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:29 pm

thxrho wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm an Army select as well, and have yet to hear back from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.

I'm a practicing attorney and Army AD select. Practicing attorneys were given the option to attempt to join the May 2017 JAOBC, provided they could meet all of the deadlines in an expedited fashion. Emails related to this are the only communication I've had from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.

Anon, are you a 3L? If so, it seems they are working to fill the May JAOBC class before they move on to current students.

I'm an Army Alternate Reserve Select, practicing attorney and I haven't received anything since SOI. I assume because I'm an alternate I didn't get the May JAOBC emails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thxrho wrote:

I'm an Army Alternate Reserve Select, practicing attorney and I haven't received anything since SOI. I assume because I'm an alternate I didn't get the May JAOBC emails.

I am a practicing attorney and an Army Reserve Select. I have not heard anything since submitting my letter of intent.

JackSparrow123

Postby JackSparrow123 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:10 pm

pzpzhops2 wrote:
JackSparrow123 wrote:Both Air Force and Army JAG select here. Anyone heard back from Air Force JAG about medical interviews yet? I know the practicing attorneys get to go first but was wondering if any current law students had already gone through the medical interview.

As far as the initial interview with the Air Force recruiter, you are supposed to contact him to schedule an interview.

I have already tried to contact the recruiter, but he has not responded to my requests yet.

pzpzhops2

Postby pzpzhops2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:14 pm

JackSparrow123 wrote:
pzpzhops2 wrote:

I have already tried to contact the recruiter, but he has not responded to my requests yet.

It is my understanding that he recently switched offices, could have been lost in the shuffle. Maybe give it another shot with the updated contact information if you haven't already.

Return to “Legal Employment”