Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Does anyone have experience with the medical processing? Did you have to submit lots of records? Did anyone need a waiver and if so how long did it take to get?

aka123

Postby aka123 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone's LOR writers get contacted during the selection process? I posted this question in a separate topic, but since it's particularly relevant to the JAG context, I thought I'd ask here.

Long story short: got a great LOR from a long-time coach/work supervisor who I just recently had a massive falling out with (not related to the subject matter of the letter; purely personal).

Hi there! I interviewed at JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. All of my LoR writers were contacted after my interview. From what they told me, the conversations were all really great. I did get a spot in the November board. I hope your coach will be able to put aside the personal issues for your sake. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 am

aka123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone's LOR writers get contacted during the selection process? I posted this question in a separate topic, but since it's particularly relevant to the JAG context, I thought I'd ask here.

Long story short: got a great LOR from a long-time coach/work supervisor who I just recently had a massive falling out with (not related to the subject matter of the letter; purely personal).

Hi there! I interviewed at JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. All of my LoR writers were contacted after my interview. From what they told me, the conversations were all really great. I did get a spot in the November board. I hope your coach will be able to put aside the personal issues for your sake. Best of luck.

Dang. Love to hear from others in case this was just an atypical situation. I may just submit it and hope for the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 am

Are there ANY tangible benefits in going in as a Reserve JAG? By this I mean, anything practical like employment, networking, etc. (basically something that helps further my career somewhere down the road) and nothing like "privilege to serve my country."

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there ANY tangible benefits in going in as a Reserve JAG? By this I mean, anything practical like employment, networking, etc. (basically something that helps further my career somewhere down the road) and nothing like "privilege to serve my country."

Sure. State and federal civilian hiring typically gives "veteran's preference" which is a big boost. You typically get this after (I think) 30 consecutive days of service not including training, or 60 non-consecutive days of service. You can also get free food on veteran's day at some places, and can cut in line to get on airplanes...?

Personally, if all you're doing it for is the employment and networking options, I think your time will probably be better spent doing something else.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:39 pm

twenty wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there ANY tangible benefits in going in as a Reserve JAG? By this I mean, anything practical like employment, networking, etc. (basically something that helps further my career somewhere down the road) and nothing like "privilege to serve my country."

Sure. State and federal civilian hiring typically gives "veteran's preference" which is a big boost. You typically get this after (I think) 30 consecutive days of service not including training, or 60 non-consecutive days of service. You can also get free food on veteran's day at some places, and can cut in line to get on airplanes...?

Personally, if all you're doing it for is the employment and networking options, I think your time will probably be better spent doing something else.

I feel like we just had a post in a similar vein a few pages back.

If you are looking for a pep talk to sell you on reserve service exclusively in respect to what will materially benefit you, this is probably not the place. I agree with twenty - if your starting point is "what is in it for me?", you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, just a word of caution to everyone else in respect to veteran's preference in the Federal arena - almost all Federal attorney jobs (the 0905 classification) are excepted service. Excepted service positions do not get the 5/10 points the way competitive service positions do. Veteran's status is looked upon favorably for excepted service and is something to be "considered" but it is nothing like the insane perks that come for competitive service applicants (generally lower GS level jobs). One main exception to this are Administrative Law Judge jobs, which are, inexplicably, competitive service but you need at least 7 years of trial work to be eligible for those.

I will note that for any law students on here with prior service, the DOJ SLIP positions are incredibly favorable to veterans. You can PM me if you want more information.

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Active Army AD Select. Does JARO send any acknowledgement or follow on instructions after receipt of the Statement of Intent? Thanks for any help.

ML0576

Postby ML0576 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:26 am

frankbeans wrote:Active Army AD Select. Does JARO send any acknowledgement or follow on instructions after receipt of the Statement of Intent? Thanks for any help.

The Statement of Intent form said they would touch base at the end of January or early February so I think we have to wait until then for next steps.

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience with the medical processing? Did you have to submit lots of records? Did anyone need a waiver and if so how long did it take to get?

I had to get a waiver through DoDMERB. Yes, I had to submit a fairly obscene amount of records, and it took a couple of months if I remember correctly. If you think you'll need a waiver, it'd be smart to just start the process now for gathering all (and I do mean ALL) medical records related to the condition in question. It can take a while to get these things, especially if they're very old or at a hospital you're not living near anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Is there any real difference between the Air Force summer internship and externship programs other than the fact that the former is paid? My school provides summer funding (not quite as much as the internship would provide, but enough for the summer).

Also, do you have to interview for either? Thanks!

Fletch.F.Fletch

Postby Fletch.F.Fletch » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Active Duty select. Got the email from Corps of Engineers, which I'm not interested in, but will apply to the General counsel one, which as others said appears more targeted.

Is the LOI binding? It was my understanding you don't sign on the bottom line until DCC...as they can drop you for any number of reasons going forward until you're commissioned.

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience with the medical processing? Did you have to submit lots of records? Did anyone need a waiver and if so how long did it take to get?

You have to sign up for a DODMERB physical exam. There will be instructions relayed to you about how to get one. From there, you'll go to one of their assigned medical facilities and they'll do a pretty thorough physical exam. Kind of what you would expect out of a physical (hearing, vision, drug test, medical history, etc.). You don't have to submit any records unless you give them cause to request for some (ie. you had surgery in the past, prior injury, medications, etc.). I believe there's a yes or no questionnaire that you fill out regarding past medical history. I personally didn't have to submit a medical waiver request but based on other people's posts, a waiver can take a while depending on what you are asking to get waived. It's why JARO emphasizes getting that done as early as possible in the event that there may be a delay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 am

ML0576 wrote:
CharlieAvocado wrote:
ML0576 wrote:^^ Thanks for your response! What is the range of time it might take to head to training? Is it possible to head to training before October or is that the earliest? I truly appreciate your help, I need to sign a new lease so I'm trying to figure everything out!

The lease is usually the easiest part. You can break it without penalty once you get orders. If they don't let you break it, then they're probably in violation of federal law.

Sweet, thanks for your info! I was also wondering if training would be a year or more from now or if it would be in less time, like in October. I want to know if I can get some roommates, but I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch if I need to head to training before the lease is out. Thanks again!

Like the previous post mentioned, it depends on how quickly you can provide them with all the necessary documents. You could possibly make the May class if you're already licensed. It takes a while for many primarily cause they have yet to take the bar exam, but you can get slated pretty quickly once that's out of the way. After having everything submitted except my letter of good standing, I was originally slated for the January '17 class because bar exam results for my state came out in November '16. Just had to shoot my recruiting officer an email saying if i passed or not. My FSO hinted at the idea of taking a bar in another state where exam results were released earlier than others if I was really keen on making it to the October class (got rescheduled to May cause I didn't pass the first time :(, but at least the Army gives you two chances lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:08 am

frankbeans wrote:Active Army AD Select. Does JARO send any acknowledgement or follow on instructions after receipt of the Statement of Intent? Thanks for any help.

A recruiting officer will start emailing you follow up instructions after a few weeks. You can also go to JAGCNet and find the same instructions there also.

Here's a link to the website for Active Duty Selects.
https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Sites/jaro ... 30004229C6

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:20 am

Fletch.F.Fletch wrote:Accepted for Army Active Duty, got a call from my interviewer this morning. Anyone know the timeline for what's next? I'm a currently practicing attorney if that helps, and I have no physical infirmities other than needing to wear contacts.

Once you've submitted your Statement of Intent, a recruiting officer will start emailing you follow up instructions. It could be a couple of weeks to a few months. They didn't start emailing me follow up instructions until early March, so it can take a while. From there there'll be instructions on required documents that you need to have filled out and submitted. The quicker you are able to submit those the sooner you can get slotted into a JAOBC class. The earliest class that you could probably make would be the October JAOBC. I guess May may be a possibility but medical processing usually takes a while.

If you wanted to get a head start here's a link that recruiting officers will refer you to for further instruction.

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Sites/jaro ... 30004229C6

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I made it on as an alternate... What does that mean??

In case someone on the AD select list is unable to continue the process, alternates are then chosen to replace them. Many alternates are chosen for alot of reasons (ie. medical disqualifications, choosing another job, etc.), so I would ride it out if you're questioning whether or not you should. I was also originally an alternate and later selected for AD. Just PM me if you have any further questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Anyone have an idea when Army JAGs selected last month receive info re: assignment locations?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea when Army JAGs selected last month receive info re: assignment locations?

I would guess no time soon. Some people are going to back out, some will fail medical, some will fail security, some might fail the bar, etc. they're not going to waste time slotting people until they're sure you're actually going to be coming on board

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea when Army JAGs selected last month receive info re: assignment locations?

They will send you an assignment location preference sheet to fill out a few months before JAOBC. My best guess would be towards the latter of the end summer/beginning of fall if you've already completed everything that they have requested. A few weeks later, a recruiting officer will get in contact with you to discuss assignment locations further.

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They will send you an assignment location preference sheet to fill out a few months before JAOBC. My best guess would be towards the latter of the end summer/beginning of fall if you've already completed everything that they have requested. A few weeks later, a recruiting officer will get in contact with you to discuss assignment locations further.

I'll make it easy.

If they offer you Fort Polk or Fort Irwin. Take it and don't ask questions. :D

aka123

Postby aka123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm

wg6524 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll make it easy.

Could you elaborate why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

aka123 wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll make it easy.

Could you elaborate why?

I'd say he's joking - those two seem especially terrible!

aka123

Postby aka123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
aka123 wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll make it easy.

Could you elaborate why?

Haha that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if he/she meant that Polk and Irwin would be good because terrible base = high crime = more military justice issues?

wg6524

Postby wg6524 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:28 pm

aka123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
aka123 wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll make it easy.

Could you elaborate why?

Haha that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if he/she meant that Polk and Irwin would be good because terrible base = high crime = more military justice issues?

You could look at it like that! Just a fun joke though. Usually people try to avoid those places. I'll tell you that generally i've seen good people go there that want to be there. So it's just a different environment than most. Any idea when JARO will respond and start sending paperwork out?

chili_davis

Postby chili_davis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Prior service 0L here....Beginning LS this fall and extremely interested in becoming a JAG officer. Any advice for incoming law students to become more competitive? Also, is it possible to transition from 3L to active duty following the summer bar exams?? Curious how to make that transition without having to take a job that I plan on leaving a few months later. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Return to “Legal Employment”