Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Bit of a unique situation here. Applied to both AD and Reserve and was picked up for Reserve only. I'm in ROTC while in law school so I'll be commissioning either way in May (currently slated to be a reservist in the branch of my choice). Accepted a biglaw offer back in July. My question is: if I want any chance of doing JAG AD in the future, would it be a mistake to accept JAG Reserve now? Would it be best just to enter the reserves as something other than JAG (since that's what I'm currently obligated to do) and then apply for JAG later? Not sure how all of this would work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Was accepted Army Reserves. I'm not too concerned about the employment aspects of everything (gov employee), but am more concerned with the family /military balance in the reserves. I've talked to a few different FSOs, and have basically heard nothing but great things. I'm still concerned about spending 16.5 weeks away from my wife (and child on the way). I'm also not able to get a straight answer on how disruptive the drill weekends really are (one fso told me that there are various ways to complete them at other points during the month from home, while another said that would definitely not be an option; flexibility seems more appealing at this time). I've also heard that for jag reserves assigned to an LOD, all deployments are strictly based on who volunteers, but other things I have read don't seem to back this up.

Not sure if there are any married / parent jag reservists here who could talk. I really just want to make sure that I have the correct understanding of everything before I sign / don't sign. It is becoming a much more difficult decision than I thought it would be, and I feel bad because I know there are so many people that would do anything for this opportunity.

w7ldcard
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:54 pm

TRX234 wrote:Anyone have any advice or insight into the 2L internship with Army JAG?

I did it last summer PM me your questions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Is nobody concerned that the Army picked up over 275 JAGs? As someone who wants a JAG career, I'm very concerned that that means the Army is repeating the Air Force's mistake from about five or six years ago, where AF cut a massive amount of all their JAGs that had been in 3 and 4 years, because they'd taken on too many lawyers. :oops:
This would also be a very concerning factor to me if I was looking at a later entry date for Army JAG, OR if I had a different job lined up that I would enjoy and like to make a career out of, versus do a few years in the position.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bit of a unique situation here. Applied to both AD and Reserve and was picked up for Reserve only. I'm in ROTC while in law school so I'll be commissioning either way in May (currently slated to be a reservist in the branch of my choice). Accepted a biglaw offer back in July. My question is: if I want any chance of doing JAG AD in the future, would it be a mistake to accept JAG Reserve now? Would it be best just to enter the reserves as something other than JAG (since that's what I'm currently obligated to do) and then apply for JAG later? Not sure how all of this would work.


Hey there. I was in a similar situation for FY15. Law school cadets are a rare breed haha. I was slated either to go Intelligence or accept a JAG Reserves slot, which I ultimately did. From what my FSO told me and from previous posts on here, if you performed well at JAOBC then you could possibly be picked up for AD. Couldn't find any statistics as to how many actually do get picked up, so it didn't really ease my worries, but it gave me a glimmer of hope. If that didn't work out I just assumed i'd have a stronger shot at AD later on if I were already a JAG (which doesnt seem to be the case based off of previous posts on here). Fortunately, things ended up working out a few months later and I was picked up off the waitlist for AD.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just talked to my FSO about the alternate list - from my understanding, the Army typically picks up a lot from the alternate list - in fact the past few years they've picked up almost everyone - anyone know if this is accurate?



I was put on the waitlist for FY15. Was given an AD slot around mid February. People on the alternate list still have a very strong shot at getting picked up. When you do just depends on where you are on the list. I was told that there is an Order of Merit list for alternates based on the strength of your application packet. AD slots go to alternates in order of the OML as spots become available. I wasn't sure where I was on the Alternate List so I accepted my Reserves slot initially. I didn't even know that they gave Reserve slots to alternates until I was speaking with a Recruiting Officer about it. lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is nobody concerned that the Army picked up over 275 JAGs? As someone who wants a JAG career, I'm very concerned that that means the Army is repeating the Air Force's mistake from about five or six years ago, where AF cut a massive amount of all their JAGs that had been in 3 and 4 years, because they'd taken on too many lawyers. :oops:
This would also be a very concerning factor to me if I was looking at a later entry date for Army JAG, OR if I had a different job lined up that I would enjoy and like to make a career out of, versus do a few years in the position.


Concerned - yes, absolutely. Anything that might threaten your desired career (and mine as well) should be analyzed. But I think there's at least one good explanation for the excess hiring: My FSO said that private sector hiring has warmed up and folks who chose Army JAG as a safety net post-recession were finding it easy to leave via that route. Thus there has been greater attrition in the 4-8yr JAGs than typical / projected. Assuming this is correct, it makes sense that the Army would want more entry-level JAGs to bring the total corps back to (or close to) desired levels.

Every source of information should be treated with a grain of salt, and FSO-info is not exempt, given their dual recruiting and screening functions. If it matters to you, this topic came up in response to my questions about when/why/how Army JAGs choose to exit (during my interview in October), not after the >275 list was posted (and presumably to calm any fears such as the one you've expressed).

aka123
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby aka123 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is nobody concerned that the Army picked up over 275 JAGs? As someone who wants a JAG career, I'm very concerned that that means the Army is repeating the Air Force's mistake from about five or six years ago, where AF cut a massive amount of all their JAGs that had been in 3 and 4 years, because they'd taken on too many lawyers. :oops:
This would also be a very concerning factor to me if I was looking at a later entry date for Army JAG, OR if I had a different job lined up that I would enjoy and like to make a career out of, versus do a few years in the position.


Concerned - yes, absolutely. Anything that might threaten your desired career (and mine as well) should be analyzed. But I think there's at least one good explanation for the excess hiring: My FSO said that private sector hiring has warmed up and folks who chose Army JAG as a safety net post-recession were finding it easy to leave via that route. Thus there has been greater attrition in the 4-8yr JAGs than typical / projected. Assuming this is correct, it makes sense that the Army would want more entry-level JAGs to bring the total corps back to (or close to) desired levels.

Every source of information should be treated with a grain of salt, and FSO-info is not exempt, given their dual recruiting and screening functions. If it matters to you, this topic came up in response to my questions about when/why/how Army JAGs choose to exit (during my interview in October), not after the >275 list was posted (and presumably to calm any fears such as the one you've expressed).


I plan to make Army JAG a career so I understand your concern. I was selected for the AF DAP October Board and Army AD board. Submitted my SoI to the Army over the weekend. The explanation that the first responder provides is a solid one and I have a feeling it's the story too. Also, TJAG and DTAG's terms (4 years) are coming to an end so there will be movement in command. Ahh, the military circle of life.
As for the sheer number of selectees, there is no way all 275 will accept. There will be medical and security DQs. And from those that do accept and complete DCC, plenty will do their 4 and punch out. With so many factors at play, I just worry about the things that I do have control over - namely myself. I'd rather roll the dice and fail than regret.

Sincerest thanks to all that have contributed. This wealth of information has and will continue to be be extremely helpful. I've been popping in and out of this forum for a few months now. I finally got to reading all 285 posts and it was completely worth it.

KB0388
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby KB0388 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Has anyone received the AF JAG rejection e-mail for the Dec. board yet?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm

.
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:48 pm

KB0388 wrote:Has anyone received the AF JAG rejection e-mail for the Dec. board yet?


I heard that it was actually snail mail, but no. I would guess that SJAs are still getting back from break and will continue to make calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 pm

So have AF calls started going out or was that just a rumor?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So have AF calls started going out or was that just a rumor?


AF acceptance calls went out before Christmas- they followed up with an email yesterday.

KB0388
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby KB0388 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So have AF calls started going out or was that just a rumor?


AF acceptance calls went out before Christmas- they followed up with an email yesterday.


So was the follow up e-mail for selects or non-selects? I still haven't received anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:30 pm

For selects. On the last board I didn't get a rejection email for a few days after the selects were notified. I would think it might even be a longer wait with the holidays.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 pm

I've heard lots of rumors regarding student loan repayment for the reserves, does anyone know the status of that? Is there student loan repayment?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard lots of rumors regarding student loan repayment for the reserves, does anyone know the status of that? Is there student loan repayment?

Earlier this year they informed people that you can either accept a lump sum $10k up front or $30k student loan repayment. That was back in April 2016. Things could have changed since then. This is just in reference to Reserve incentives.

aka123
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby aka123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.

No, I haven't yet but I doubt I would be a candidate. My Statement of Intent hasn't been downloaded by JARO either. :| I imagine with the holidays, it'll be a while.

71723
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Military Law

Postby 71723 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Just got my email ding for AF. 8th time applying. I think that's it for me, don't see the point anymore.

uvandy
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Military Law

Postby uvandy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried calling them to get feedback on your application? They provide some notes that the board left that could help you in the future.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.


Received an email for this. Anybody know how competitive it is?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.


Received an email for this. Anybody know how competitive it is?


Also received an e-mail from Army Honors and the Army Corps of Engineers program. Have you received both e-mails?

Who else has gotten both or one of these e-mails?

aka123
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby aka123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.


Received an email for this. Anybody know how competitive it is?


Also received an e-mail from Army Honors and the Army Corps of Engineers program. Have you received both e-mails?

Who else has gotten both or one of these e-mails?


I received the email for the Corps of Engineers program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299679
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received specific information about the Army Honors Program? I received an e-mail from the Army Corps of Engineers program, but not from the other one. I assume all selected into the JAG receive these e-mails at some point and/or are free to apply to the Honors Program, but I wanted to check and see if receiving on e-mail and not the other means you're not invited to apply to that program, and what that entails.


Received an email for this. Anybody know how competitive it is?


Also received an e-mail from Army Honors and the Army Corps of Engineers program. Have you received both e-mails?

Who else has gotten both or one of these e-mails?


The Army Corps of Engineers email seemed like it was sent out to everyone. Army Honors seems like it was targeted to certain people from my reading.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.