Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Fletch.F.Fletch
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Fletch.F.Fletch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Accepted for Army Active Duty, got a call from my interviewer this morning. Anyone know the timeline for what's next? I'm a currently practicing attorney if that helps, and I have no physical infirmities other than needing to wear contacts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Just talked to my FSO about the alternate list - from my understanding, the Army typically picks up a lot from the alternate list - in fact the past few years they've picked up almost everyone - anyone know if this is accurate?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow. The more I hear about JAG reserves, the more I feel like it's a dead-end job (ignoring the whole love of country, oorah, etc.), unless you're underemployed/unemployed, in which case you can volunteer for a ton of stuff and get good experience.

Still want to be an officer though. Should I just try for the Army Quartermaster Corps instead?


This is overstating it, I think. It's not a dead end job, but it's not intended to be your primary gig or means of career advancement. I did a lot of cool things as a reservist (not a JAG) but I was also a federal employee in my civilian life, so I had the flexibility to jump on cool opportunities as they arose. I went to some cool TDY courses, commanded a company in Iraq, and spent a year and a half on the staff of a major command. I had a lot of the same experiences someone who went straight active would have had. But again, I had the flexibility with my civilian gig to do that. I think wg6524 is right that it's possible to make it work with a private sector career, but it's definitely much harder. If you look at the bios of a lot of senior reserve officers, at least in the DC area, a ton of them work in the public sector in their civilian lives.

Also, just an aside, the Army Quartermaster Corps thought is kind of random. Why the QM Corps? Why did you go to law school if being a military officer is more important than being a lawyer? Why not just apply to the next JAG board? Just a thought.


I actually am thinking about applying next year as well. Is it easy to lateral transfer from reserves to active duty, or would I have a better shot at getting active duty if I reject my reserve commission and reapply as a civilian in the next cycle?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:07 pm

In at Army! I was rejected five previous times by the various JAG's, including last year's Army internship. It feels great to finally be on the other side! To those that didn't get in, keep applying if JAG is your goal! Your perseverance will pay off!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just talked to my FSO about the alternate list - from my understanding, the Army typically picks up a lot from the alternate list - in fact the past few years they've picked up almost everyone - anyone know if this is accurate?


Curious about this as well. Did your FSO mention a timeline?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Any more AF calls?

Subwoofer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Subwoofer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:50 pm

To those wondering about Army JAG timeline...

I was accepted a year ago. Still waiting on a medical waiver decision. Now in consideration for the May 2017 JAOBC - if I get the waiver.

Got my physical the minute I got permission to do so. That was early July.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4741
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow. The more I hear about JAG reserves, the more I feel like it's a dead-end job (ignoring the whole love of country, oorah, etc.), unless you're underemployed/unemployed, in which case you can volunteer for a ton of stuff and get good experience.

Still want to be an officer though. Should I just try for the Army Quartermaster Corps instead?


This is overstating it, I think. It's not a dead end job, but it's not intended to be your primary gig or means of career advancement. I did a lot of cool things as a reservist (not a JAG) but I was also a federal employee in my civilian life, so I had the flexibility to jump on cool opportunities as they arose. I went to some cool TDY courses, commanded a company in Iraq, and spent a year and a half on the staff of a major command. I had a lot of the same experiences someone who went straight active would have had. But again, I had the flexibility with my civilian gig to do that. I think wg6524 is right that it's possible to make it work with a private sector career, but it's definitely much harder. If you look at the bios of a lot of senior reserve officers, at least in the DC area, a ton of them work in the public sector in their civilian lives.

Also, just an aside, the Army Quartermaster Corps thought is kind of random. Why the QM Corps? Why did you go to law school if being a military officer is more important than being a lawyer? Why not just apply to the next JAG board? Just a thought.


I actually am thinking about applying next year as well. Is it easy to lateral transfer from reserves to active duty, or would I have a better shot at getting active duty if I reject my reserve commission and reapply as a civilian in the next cycle?


It's relatively easy for reservists to get active duty time, in terms of volunteering for year long mobilizations/ADOS tours. I imagine if you came out of the JAG school volunteering to deploy for a year, they could find you a slot in a battalion headed to CENTCOM. However, it's really, really tough to actually transfer to the active component permanently. As in, become active duty as opposed to a reservist mobilized for a specific period. If your goal is active duty, I'd honestly probably just try again next year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:59 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow. The more I hear about JAG reserves, the more I feel like it's a dead-end job (ignoring the whole love of country, oorah, etc.), unless you're underemployed/unemployed, in which case you can volunteer for a ton of stuff and get good experience.

Still want to be an officer though. Should I just try for the Army Quartermaster Corps instead?


This is overstating it, I think. It's not a dead end job, but it's not intended to be your primary gig or means of career advancement. I did a lot of cool things as a reservist (not a JAG) but I was also a federal employee in my civilian life, so I had the flexibility to jump on cool opportunities as they arose. I went to some cool TDY courses, commanded a company in Iraq, and spent a year and a half on the staff of a major command. I had a lot of the same experiences someone who went straight active would have had. But again, I had the flexibility with my civilian gig to do that. I think wg6524 is right that it's possible to make it work with a private sector career, but it's definitely much harder. If you look at the bios of a lot of senior reserve officers, at least in the DC area, a ton of them work in the public sector in their civilian lives.

Also, just an aside, the Army Quartermaster Corps thought is kind of random. Why the QM Corps? Why did you go to law school if being a military officer is more important than being a lawyer? Why not just apply to the next JAG board? Just a thought.


I actually am thinking about applying next year as well. Is it easy to lateral transfer from reserves to active duty, or would I have a better shot at getting active duty if I reject my reserve commission and reapply as a civilian in the next cycle?


It's relatively easy for reservists to get active duty time, in terms of volunteering for year long mobilizations/ADOS tours. I imagine if you came out of the JAG school volunteering to deploy for a year, they could find you a slot in a battalion headed to CENTCOM. However, it's really, really tough to actually transfer to the active component permanently. As in, become active duty as opposed to a reservist mobilized for a specific period. If your goal is active duty, I'd honestly probably just try again next year.


Is there a reason why it's so difficult to transfer into active duty as a reservist? It seems almost counterintuitive, because the army would have a chance to evaluate your work/fit while you're in the reserves, as opposed to applying as a civilian with no military background.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4741
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is there a reason why it's so difficult to transfer into active duty as a reservist? It seems almost counterintuitive, because the army would have a chance to evaluate your work/fit while you're in the reserves, as opposed to applying as a civilian with no military background.


To be clear, I'm speaking about the Reserves generally. I don't know about JAG specifically. Maybe that's the exception where it's easy to go Reserves->Active (but I doubt it.)

I suspect the reason is because there's nothing in it for the Army. They can already tap you whenever they need you as a reservist. You being on active duty indefinitely just means they now have to pay you full time, with all the benefits that go along with that. If they do decide they need for you something full time, they can always just tap you for a year mobilization, and then send you back to your civilian job when they're done.

EasternAndSunset
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby EasternAndSunset » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just talked to my FSO about the alternate list - from my understanding, the Army typically picks up a lot from the alternate list - in fact the past few years they've picked up almost everyone - anyone know if this is accurate?

It's accurate...DM me if you want more info...

EasternAndSunset
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby EasternAndSunset » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I made it on as an alternate... What does that mean??

You have the potential to get picked up for AD on a rolling basis as people on the Primary list decline or get disqualified. DM if you want and I can give you more info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 pm

What's the deal with the Honors programs they mentioned in the acceptance letter? Has anyone gotten anything more on that?

Roclandsfinest23
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the deal with the Honors programs they mentioned in the acceptance letter? Has anyone gotten anything more on that?


Was wondering that as well

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Seeking advice!

I was selected for Army JAG Active Duty, but I think I might get disqualified during the MEP process. I'm worried if I send my letter of intent, it will bind me to a job I'm unlikely to get and I'll miss out on applying for other jobs. I'm fairly certain (~78%) I can get a stipend from my school to volunteer at a non-profit for a year after graduation, but I can't apply for that until April. If I commit to the Army now, I will have to pass on that opportunity and I may not even get approved for basic training. I know we can get waivers, but I hear those take a while. Any advice or suggestions?

My concerns:
My hearing is not that great after 10 years of blasting my music (in the car, iPod, etc.), and I wear glasses because my vision is like -6 and -7. I'm not all that worried about the vision because I know people have received waivers for it in the past and my eyes are otherwise healthy. I also had a minor surgery when I was 10 to remove a "cancerous" mole. I never had any problems or symptoms, but it doesn't sound good. How much digging does MEP do into your medical history/how much do they want to know/how much do they care? I never get sick and I can run a 9 minute mile; that should count for something right? lol

trustdan
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby trustdan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seeking advice!

I was selected for Army JAG Active Duty, but I think I might get disqualified during the MEP process. I'm worried if I send my letter of intent, it will bind me to a job I'm unlikely to get and I'll miss out on applying for other jobs. I'm fairly certain (~78%) I can get a stipend from my school to volunteer at a non-profit for a year after graduation, but I can't apply for that until April. If I commit to the Army now, I will have to pass on that opportunity and I may not even get approved for basic training. I know we can get waivers, but I hear those take a while. Any advice or suggestions?

My concerns:
My hearing is not that great after 10 years of blasting my music (in the car, iPod, etc.), and I wear glasses because my vision is like -6 and -7. I'm not all that worried about the vision because I know people have received waivers for it in the past and my eyes are otherwise healthy. I also had a minor surgery when I was 10 to remove a "cancerous" mole. I never had any problems or symptoms, but it doesn't sound good. How much digging does MEP do into your medical history/how much do they want to know/how much do they care? I never get sick and I can run a 9 minute mile; that should count for something right? lol


None of those are in any way conclusive. Let them be the ones to tell you. The cancer thing might raise eyebrows but 10+ years is a long time. I've heard from friends with direct experience that for some cancers, you need to be in remission for 5 years. Needless to say, it sounds like it's been a lot more than that for you and possibly not even diagnosed? Often times with vision it just needs to be correctable to 20/20 (but don't take my word for it), but that information is readily available out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:24 pm

trustdan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seeking advice!

I was selected for Army JAG Active Duty, but I think I might get disqualified during the MEP process. I'm worried if I send my letter of intent, it will bind me to a job I'm unlikely to get and I'll miss out on applying for other jobs. I'm fairly certain (~78%) I can get a stipend from my school to volunteer at a non-profit for a year after graduation, but I can't apply for that until April. If I commit to the Army now, I will have to pass on that opportunity and I may not even get approved for basic training. I know we can get waivers, but I hear those take a while. Any advice or suggestions?

My concerns:
My hearing is not that great after 10 years of blasting my music (in the car, iPod, etc.), and I wear glasses because my vision is like -6 and -7. I'm not all that worried about the vision because I know people have received waivers for it in the past and my eyes are otherwise healthy. I also had a minor surgery when I was 10 to remove a "cancerous" mole. I never had any problems or symptoms, but it doesn't sound good. How much digging does MEP do into your medical history/how much do they want to know/how much do they care? I never get sick and I can run a 9 minute mile; that should count for something right? lol


None of those are in any way conclusive. Let them be the ones to tell you. The cancer thing might raise eyebrows but 10+ years is a long time. I've heard from friends with direct experience that for some cancers, you need to be in remission for 5 years. Needless to say, it sounds like it's been a lot more than that for you and possibly not even diagnosed? Often times with vision it just needs to be correctable to 20/20 (but don't take my word for it), but that information is readily available out there.


With the Navy, when it comes to "correctable to 20/20" that's bullsh!t. If you have ANY other problem with your eyes, even if correctable to 20/20, if you're beyond their cutoff they don't care, you're probably not getting in. Also, if you wear contacts, make sure you have them out for at least a week prior to MEPS, no matter what. And if you wear long-wear contacts and can swing a month, I suggest keeping them out that long if possible. That will let your eyes get as close to a decent reading as you can physically get with bad eyesight.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seeking advice!

I was selected for Army JAG Active Duty, but I think I might get disqualified during the MEP process. I'm worried if I send my letter of intent, it will bind me to a job I'm unlikely to get and I'll miss out on applying for other jobs. I'm fairly certain (~78%) I can get a stipend from my school to volunteer at a non-profit for a year after graduation, but I can't apply for that until April. If I commit to the Army now, I will have to pass on that opportunity and I may not even get approved for basic training. I know we can get waivers, but I hear those take a while. Any advice or suggestions?

My concerns:
My hearing is not that great after 10 years of blasting my music (in the car, iPod, etc.), and I wear glasses because my vision is like -6 and -7. I'm not all that worried about the vision because I know people have received waivers for it in the past and my eyes are otherwise healthy. I also had a minor surgery when I was 10 to remove a "cancerous" mole. I never had any problems or symptoms, but it doesn't sound good. How much digging does MEP do into your medical history/how much do they want to know/how much do they care? I never get sick and I can run a 9 minute mile; that should count for something right? lol


It's a really tricky situation. I can't speak to your concerns about vision or the "cancerous" mole, but I did have to get a waiver for my hearing. I honestly did not even know there was something wrong with my hearing until they found out at the screening that I had problems with one of my ears. I managed to get a waiver but I will say that it was a complicated and lengthy process but I was unemployed at the time with no other prospects so I put all my energy into it. I think the whole process took about 5 months. I have heard of other people eventually not being granted the waiver but it's really impossible to know what will be the outcome in your case. If your dream is to be an Army JAG, you came to law school for it, etc, I would go through the process. If you end up disqualified, you can always apply to other jobs at that point. Otherwise you might regret not giving it a chance. If you're not that into it or if the non-profit work appeals to you more, it's a harder choice. It's not an easy decision to make so good luck.

stopthepuck22
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:18 am

Re: Military Law

Postby stopthepuck22 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seeking advice!

I was selected for Army JAG Active Duty, but I think I might get disqualified during the MEP process. I'm worried if I send my letter of intent, it will bind me to a job I'm unlikely to get and I'll miss out on applying for other jobs. I'm fairly certain (~78%) I can get a stipend from my school to volunteer at a non-profit for a year after graduation, but I can't apply for that until April. If I commit to the Army now, I will have to pass on that opportunity and I may not even get approved for basic training. I know we can get waivers, but I hear those take a while. Any advice or suggestions?

My concerns:
My hearing is not that great after 10 years of blasting my music (in the car, iPod, etc.), and I wear glasses because my vision is like -6 and -7. I'm not all that worried about the vision because I know people have received waivers for it in the past and my eyes are otherwise healthy. I also had a minor surgery when I was 10 to remove a "cancerous" mole. I never had any problems or symptoms, but it doesn't sound good. How much digging does MEP do into your medical history/how much do they want to know/how much do they care? I never get sick and I can run a 9 minute mile; that should count for something right? lol



I had a very similar situation at MEPs. I wasn't tracking the hearing loss, but apparently I had fairly significant loss in the left ear. That combined with -7 vision forced me to start the waiver process. I was selected on the 2014 board, and finally was able to start training nearly 2 years later.

If you aren't truly passionate about becoming a JAG, you may not be willing to see the process through. MEPs will find things you didn't even know were wrong, and sometimes ignore things you would think would be disqualifying. No one knows until they try.

I don't say this to dissuade you from joining - but I think the post above hit the nail on the head. Feel free to PM me if you want more info!

Hintergedanke
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Hintergedanke » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:49 am

Any Army flep students or graduates who would be willing to answer some questions regarding applying? Looking to submit a application in 2017 and would like to get ahead of the curve. Thanks

Subwoofer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Subwoofer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seeking advice!

I was selected for Army JAG Active Duty, but I think I might get disqualified during the MEP process. I'm worried if I send my letter of intent, it will bind me to a job I'm unlikely to get and I'll miss out on applying for other jobs. I'm fairly certain (~78%) I can get a stipend from my school to volunteer at a non-profit for a year after graduation, but I can't apply for that until April. If I commit to the Army now, I will have to pass on that opportunity and I may not even get approved for basic training. I know we can get waivers, but I hear those take a while. Any advice or suggestions?

My concerns:
My hearing is not that great after 10 years of blasting my music (in the car, iPod, etc.), and I wear glasses because my vision is like -6 and -7. I'm not all that worried about the vision because I know people have received waivers for it in the past and my eyes are otherwise healthy. I also had a minor surgery when I was 10 to remove a "cancerous" mole. I never had any problems or symptoms, but it doesn't sound good. How much digging does MEP do into your medical history/how much do they want to know/how much do they care? I never get sick and I can run a 9 minute mile; that should count for something right? lol



I had uneven hearing loss (more in one ear than the other). Had to get a brain MRI to rule out certain potential causes. If you're wondering about timing of the medical process, I was accepted last December, physical in July, DQ'd early August, still waiting on a waiver decision. Now being processed with the May 2017 class. Happy to answer any specific Qs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302659
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:10 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wg6524
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby wg6524 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Hintergedanke wrote:Any Army flep students or graduates who would be willing to answer some questions regarding applying? Looking to submit a application in 2017 and would like to get ahead of the curve. Thanks


Did you go to USMA? I was told that there was a strong preference for them. I didn't get selected the several times I applied. Essentially, they are looking for a nominative file (lots of ACOMs in KD and intense jobs). Don't fret when you don't get it. They can only take 25 a year. I after I started getting too senior to be competitive, i went to the reserves and law school with what was left of my gi bill. Just got picked up for active and reserve army last week.

Best advice, don't give up.

(sorry about any typos. I have a baby in one arm and typing with the other).

Hintergedanke
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Hintergedanke » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:53 am

wg6524 wrote:
Hintergedanke wrote:Any Army flep students or graduates who would be willing to answer some questions regarding applying? Looking to submit a application in 2017 and would like to get ahead of the curve. Thanks


Did you go to USMA? I was told that there was a strong preference for them. I didn't get selected the several times I applied. Essentially, they are looking for a nominative file (lots of ACOMs in KD and intense jobs). Don't fret when you don't get it. They can only take 25 a year. I after I started getting too senior to be competitive, i went to the reserves and law school with what was left of my gi bill. Just got picked up for active and reserve army last week.

Best advice, don't give up.

(sorry about any typos. I have a baby in one arm and typing with the other).


PMed

TRX234
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby TRX234 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Anyone have any advice or insight into the 2L internship with Army JAG?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.