Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 am

Hey folks, I'm currently a practicing attorney that is waiting for the results this month from the AF and Army. I have been given a contract opportunity that runs from 1/2017-6/2017. Hypothetically If I get accepted to either AF or Army, and get MEPS done, would I be commissioned before May of next year? Anybody that knows the timeline for how quick the turnaround is for practicing attorneys would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks, I'm currently a practicing attorney that is waiting for the results this month from the AF and Army. I have been given a contract opportunity that runs from 1/2017-6/2017. Hypothetically If I get accepted to either AF or Army, and get MEPS done, would I be commissioned before May of next year? Anybody that knows the timeline for how quick the turnaround is for practicing attorneys would be great. Thanks!

My AF interviewer was in a similar position (practicing attorney): they tried to get him through the paperwork + MEPS and into the very next available COT which started 2 weeks later. He had personal issues to wrap up and couldn't meet the deadlines, but that illustrates how quick it can happen. Granted this was back in '06 - '07, so times may have changed.

Subwoofer

Postby Subwoofer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks, I'm currently a practicing attorney that is waiting for the results this month from the AF and Army. I have been given a contract opportunity that runs from 1/2017-6/2017. Hypothetically If I get accepted to either AF or Army, and get MEPS done, would I be commissioned before May of next year? Anybody that knows the timeline for how quick the turnaround is for practicing attorneys would be great. Thanks!

FWIW, I was selected for Army JAG last December (2015) as a licensed attorney and I'll be lucky if I get in for the January 2017 basic course. I'm still waiting on a medical waiver decision though. Your results may vary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Subwoofer wrote:

FWIW, I was selected for Army JAG last December (2015) as a licensed attorney and I'll be lucky if I get in for the January 2017 basic course. I'm still waiting on a medical waiver decision though. Your results may vary.

Thanks for sharing guys. Guess its gonna be a tough decision...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not to be a dick, but let me make sure I understand this. You're about to turn down 6 months of guaranteed paychecks on the hopes that you not only get accepted into a selective jag slot but also that you start training within that time frame?

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to be a dick, but let me make sure I understand this. You're about to turn down 6 months of guaranteed paychecks on the hopes that you not only get accepted into a selective jag slot but also that you start training within that time frame?

If you have ANYTHING wrong with you, MEPS could take forever as well. Like legitimately, forever.

That said, I understand why you would have a hard time deciding between six months guaranteed, and what could be a lifetime career if you're the right age and have that desire. I'd probably call tomorrow and ask them if taking it would be incompatible with JAG. Depending on the lawyer training cycle, it might be the right timing, might not be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:25 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have ANYTHING wrong with you, MEPS could take forever as well. Like legitimately, forever.

That said, I understand why you would have a hard time deciding between six months guaranteed, and what could be a lifetime career if you're the right age and have that desire. I'd probably call tomorrow and ask them if taking it would be incompatible with JAG. Depending on the lawyer training cycle, it might be the right timing, might not be.

I should have clarified that I do have a job currently so it wouldn't be as if I were turning down money to make no money. But I definitely understand your point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:24 pm

Hey folks,

I am a licensed attorney selected for Air Force JAG. I was told I was slotted for January COT, but have yet to go to MEPs. I have tried to contact the accessions, but radio silence for a month and a half.

2 questions:

1) barring no physical setbacks, when is the latest a person can go to MEPs?

2) should I be trying to contact someone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks,

I am a licensed attorney selected for Air Force JAG. I was told I was slotted for January COT, but have yet to go to MEPs. I have tried to contact the accessions, but radio silence for a month and a half.

2 questions:

Re: 2) I was having a lot of issues with recruiting as a student. Wasn't getting far with Navy accessions due to multiple reasons. Knew a Navy Commander (O-5), they got more action for me than anybody else did, and fast. If you know one, don't be hesitant to drop an email asking for advice from them. Did they not assign a JAG to you as a mentor during the accessions process? Navy does. If they did, try reaching out to them.

My MEPS experience was sooooo slow. But there were many extenuating circumstances as well, in every aspect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

2 questions:

Re: 2) I was having a lot of issues with recruiting as a student. Wasn't getting far with Navy accessions due to multiple reasons. Knew a Navy Commander (O-5), they got more action for me than anybody else did, and fast. If you know one, don't be hesitant to drop an email asking for advice from them. Did they not assign a JAG to you as a mentor during the accessions process? Navy does. If they did, try reaching out to them.

My MEPS experience was sooooo slow. But there were many extenuating circumstances as well, in every aspect.

No mentor, but I have contacted the original interviewer in the past. For the MEPs, I completed the paperwork multiple months ago, and was told just waiting for a date, but this has been over 4 months now.

Just a little frustrated and nervous of missing out on January COT.
Thank you for the answer and advice. I may try to contact someone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2 questions:

No mentor, but I have contacted the original interviewer in the past. For the MEPs, I completed the paperwork multiple months ago, and was told just waiting for a date, but this has been over 4 months now.

Me again. Did they assign you a recruiter? Assuming they did since you filled out the paperwork. My recruiter was downright awful and they only took 6 weeks to get me into MEPS, allegedly because MEPS was too busy to take me. *eyeroll* Find out who your recruiter's supervisor is. Easiest way to do that is call the recruiting branch and ask who the CO is/to talk to them. I'd give recruiter 24 hours to get back to you first though on an update, if nothing then you don't have more time to spare (so this weekend, send an email now). Note, the Commander I knew had to pull weight to get me anywhere in this process. If you haven't been assigned a recruiter, I'd bet money you have fallen through the cracks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2 questions:

Me again. Did they assign you a recruiter? Assuming they did since you filled out the paperwork. My recruiter was downright awful and they only took 6 weeks to get me into MEPS, allegedly because MEPS was too busy to take me. *eyeroll* Find out who your recruiter's supervisor is. Easiest way to do that is call the recruiting branch and ask who the CO is/to talk to them. I'd give recruiter 24 hours to get back to you first though on an update, if nothing then you don't have more time to spare (so this weekend, send an email now). Note, the Commander I knew had to pull weight to get me anywhere in this process. If you haven't been assigned a recruiter, I'd bet money you have fallen through the cracks.

I believe the Air Force just has one accessions person for everyone in the JAG (I may be wrong). So he is the recruiter person and he is a civilian worker. But I will try to find a number for the general office and find someone else to talk to. Thanks

aussie828

Postby aussie828 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2 questions:

I believe the Air Force just has one accessions person for everyone in the JAG (I may be wrong). So he is the recruiter person and he is a civilian worker. But I will try to find a number for the general office and find someone else to talk to. Thanks

There are so many people using "Anonymous" to reply, it gets confusing. But to the original poster: you and I are in identical positions (licensed, selected in October, supposed to go in January, not yet gone to MEPS, no contact for an extended time). I don't know if you filled out the prescreening form like I did before contact ceased, but if not, that's an extra step. You're right, though- there's only one person who is the point of contact. I emailed him last Thursday asking for an update, and I have yet to hear anything back.

I combed this thread, and although people note that they get contacted to go to MEPS, what I don't see is the method of contact (phone, mail, email) or who actually contacts them (MEPS itself or the accessions contact). If you don't have the accession's direct line, I've still got the email with that phone number. Otherwise, the main line, I would think, is still the 1-800-JAG-USAF.

If you create an account and PM me, we can update one another once we receive contact.

howell

Postby howell » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:00 pm

aussie828 wrote:There are so many people using "Anonymous" to reply, it gets confusing. But to the original poster: you and I are in identical positions (licensed, selected in October, supposed to go in January, not yet gone to MEPS, no contact for an extended time). I don't know if you filled out the prescreening form like I did before contact ceased, but if not, that's an extra step. You're right, though- there's only one person who is the point of contact. I emailed him last Thursday asking for an update, and I have yet to hear anything back.

I combed this thread, and although people note that they get contacted to go to MEPS, what I don't see is the method of contact (phone, mail, email) or who actually contacts them (MEPS itself or the accessions contact). If you don't have the accession's direct line, I've still got the email with that phone number. Otherwise, the main line, I would think, is still the 1-800-JAG-USAF.

If you create an account and PM me, we can update one another once we receive contact.

My contact for MEPS was the civilian recruiter person. It was a different guy at the time (I believe he has since retired). But he told me where to go, answered my questions about the process, etc. He was the one who I called when I got out of MEPS to let him know I was finished with it.

Call the equivalent of this person and the recruiting number until you get an answer. I'm a little surprised they aren't the ones pressuring you to get this done. COT is very soon, especially in the land of military administrative speed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:08 pm

December 18, 2009
Early-mid January, 2011
December 21, 2011
December 21, 2012
January 2, 2014
January 20, 2015
December 18, 2015

Just an FYI for previous December releases for AF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:December 18, 2009
Early-mid January, 2011
December 21, 2011
December 21, 2012
January 2, 2014
January 20, 2015
December 18, 2015

Just an FYI for previous December releases for AF

Is there a similar stat for Army?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:00 pm

It looks like last year the Army and Air Force results came out on the same day. Other than that, I haven't seen a compilation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:13 am

Army:
December 18, 2015
December 24, 2014
December 20, 2013
December 20, 2012
January 9, 2012
January 7, 2011
January 8, 2010
January 5, 2009

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Army:
December 18, 2015
December 24, 2014
December 20, 2013
December 20, 2012
January 9, 2012
January 7, 2011
January 8, 2010
January 5, 2009

So it looks like it might be December 23 this year?

CharlieAvocado

Postby CharlieAvocado » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
December 18, 2015
December 24, 2014
December 20, 2013
December 20, 2012
January 9, 2012
January 7, 2011
January 8, 2010
January 5, 2009

Doubtful, I'm hearing most have the 23 and 26th off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm

CharlieAvocado wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
December 18, 2015
December 24, 2014
December 20, 2013
December 20, 2012
January 9, 2012
January 7, 2011
January 8, 2010
January 5, 2009

Doubtful, I'm hearing most have the 23 and 26th off.

Then how did it come out on the 24th in 2014?

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:38 pm

I think the only thing we know is that we don't know what day the results will come out. This is a painful process, made only worse by speculating as to when the Board will reveal the list. Hurry up and wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:08 pm

frankbeans wrote:I think the only thing we know is that we don't know what day the results will come out. This is a painful process, made only worse by speculating as to when the Board will reveal the list. Hurry up and wait.

Is there a reason why they can't publicize a deadline they'll have the results by?

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Great question!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:46 am

Currently in the military - 23rd and 26th are holidays - the year that the results were published on the 24th - the 24th was not a training holiday that year.

The Army never gives themselves self-imposed deadlines when it comes to this type of thing. The best advice is that the the results should be out in the next couple of weeks - and that JARO has stated several times over the past few years that their goal is to get results out before Christmas.

Return to “Legal Employment”