Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:01 pm

So looks like it's not today.

Anyone else unable to figure out how to apply for the December board? When I log in to the system, it doesn't give me an option to submit a new application for December. All I can do is see the one I submitted for October.
I wouldn't lose hope just yet. It looks like they were notified late afternoon last year. The Facebook post says the application will reopen on Sunday for the Oct applicants. We should probably call them if we don't hear anything back by Tues or so.

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey folks - Spring 2015 Air Force OYCP selectee here, figured now that I'm on the accessions end of things I'd provide some updates on things I had questions about a year ago. I have zero knowledge of how things work for people going through DAP, so none of the below applies to that program.

1) FTAP pay - my year (field training summer 2015) did in fact get paid for FTAP. However, it wasn't until April or May of 2016, so definitely don't make any time-sensitive financial plans involving FTAP pay. Also note that for us, field training was 27 days long - it was shortened this past summer, and there's no way of knowing how long it will be in the future. The point is, if your field training + FTAP experience is shorter than 28 days, you might not get paid. Maybe someone who went this past summer can speak to that.

2) Post-bar timeline - If you came through the GLP or OYCP programs, don't expect to be on active duty the second you get your bar results. You should make sure you have a plan to pay your bills and such for most of the remainder of the year if necessary. Several of us took the bar in states that deliver fast results, so just be aware, getting results early doesn't necessarily mean getting paid early.

3) Base selection - you do in fact get to fill out a new base selection sheet, so don't worry, you're not married to the terrible choices you regret submitting with your application.

Obviously all of the above could change in the future, but its how things worked for us 2016 grads.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies to Patrick and others, but I really hope we're notified for Air Force today. Any much longer, and we'll be at a disadvantage for the Dec board, assuming we're not selected this round. Seems slightly premature to request my recommenders for their letters again without knowing the results, but at the same time, I want to give them enough time.

As I understand it, you can resubmit the same letters for the December board. No need to have new ones for the December board, unless you want to I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:51 pm

For those who applied to the Air Force Oct board, is your application portal now open to apply for Dec? Mine is so I'm wondering if it's a sign that I wasn't selected. Good luck to everyone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Mine is the same. I don't know that it means anything either way.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine is the same. I don't know that it means anything either way.

The AF JAG Recruiting page posted at the beginning of October that it would open up on October 30th for those of us that applied for the October board. Wouldn't sweat it too much.

Kahlo

Postby Kahlo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:12 am

I assume everyone got the email stating results wouldn't release until after November 10. Sooo...at least we can relax until then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:53 am

Does anyone have applications in to muiltiple branches? I'm wondering what the timeframe is for acceptance once selectees are notified. Essentially if waiting to hear from another branch is acceptable or do they want a firm commitment right away?

Kahlo

Postby Kahlo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have applications in to muiltiple branches? I'm wondering what the timeframe is for acceptance once selectees are notified. Essentially if waiting to hear from another branch is acceptable or do they want a firm commitment right away?

Following.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:48 pm

Okay so I am new to this thread. Just started to think about this as a career path initially.

Few questions:

If I am a 2l with a big law summer associate position lined up and committed to, does this preclude me from trying during 3l?

Also, is there a good resource to start learning about what actually JAGs do especially as young officers?

Thanks

Backload

Postby Backload » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 pm

Kahlo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have applications in to muiltiple branches? I'm wondering what the timeframe is for acceptance once selectees are notified. Essentially if waiting to hear from another branch is acceptable or do they want a firm commitment right away?

Following.

The Army asks you to send back a letter of intent by a certain date, I believe it was a few weeks last year. Air Force did not have any set form or anything. From my experience they just assumed you were going forth unless you informed them otherwise. But for both of those branches you do not actually commit for months, so you could hypothetically back say no to one and go forth the other.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I am a 2l with a big law summer associate position lined up and committed to, does this preclude me from trying during 3l?

Also, is there a good resource to start learning about what actually JAGs do especially as young officers?

I'm not sure why it would be. It certainly doesn't on the military end, but the terms of your offer could limit you if it somehow legally bound you to return to the firm after graduation (but even then you could still do the reserves).

Search this thread. The Navy posts a ton of interviews with junior JAGs you might want to browse through. Most recruiting websites will give you a rough overview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Air Force calls have started going out. Just got accepted. Feels good. Good luck all.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Air Force calls have started going out. Just got accepted. Feels good. Good luck all.

Congrats. I take it you on the west coast?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 pm

usfvictor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Air Force calls have started going out. Just got accepted. Feels good. Good luck all.

I take it west coast?

East coast. My interviewer said that he just happened to check on his way out the door.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
usfvictor wrote:

I take it west coast?

East coast. My interviewer said that he just happened to check on his way out the door.

wow crazy. well congrats again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:42 am

Congrats! I'm out west, so I'm assuming it's a ding for me. Good luck everyone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! I'm out west, so I'm assuming it's a ding for me. Good luck everyone else.

Wouldn't give up hope just yet. My interviewer called at like 6 pm and said he just saw it 5 minutes before heading home for the night. Guessing a lot of people won't know until they come in and check email this morning

aussie828

Postby aussie828 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:48 am

I just got off the phone with interviewing officer, and I was selected! Good luck to those still waiting!

pzpzhops2

Postby pzpzhops2 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:21 am

Got the call around 8:30 ET from the SJA. Congrats to other selects and for those who haven't gotten in yet, keep trying this was my third attempt.
Last edited by pzpzhops2 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:30 am

Just got the call myself. I guess the results went out after business hours EST last night. Congrats to all of the selects, and good luck to the December board applicants!

Kahlo

Postby Kahlo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:55 am

It's a go for me as well! Congrats to all who made it and good luck to all who are still waiting!

Postby 71723 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:12 pm

East coast here. No call. 7th time applying. Already applied for December, but that's probably my last one.

I just don't get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:48 pm

I feel your frustration. This would be my 4th ding. You should call or email them for feedback. They provide some of the board's notes on your application.

Postby 71723 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel your frustration. This would be my 4th ding. You should call or email them for feedback. They provide some of the board's notes on your application.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks. I'll try doing so once I get the official email ding.

Return to “Legal Employment”