Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the stupid question, but does military law necessarily mean being *part of the military* in the sense that you have to go through the physical/tactical/weapons training, etc.? I haven't researched this career path at all, and it's not something I'm planning to pursue, but I'm just curious. Military law sounds like a fascinating field.

The preceding 270 odd pages of this thread will answer all your questions and more. If you are curious, start digging in.

To answer your initial question and what this entire thread is about - each service branch has its own Judge Advocate General's Corps composing of active duty, reserve, and guard military attorneys, as well as some civilian attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:58 pm

dodint wrote:Most of the JAGs on my post are civilians. Whether they had prior service or not I have no idea, but at every base I've ever served on the legal office had civilians working alongside active duty JAGs. (USMC/Army)

You are NOT a JAG officer if you are not an active duty member, or reservist on active duty. You are a civilian lawyer, working in the JAG office, but under no circumstances are you a current Judge Advocate General officer.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Absolutely.

Poster asked about 'military law' and I was speaking colloquially about JAG offices, hence my clarifying statement "every base I've ever served on the legal office had civilians working alongside active duty JAGs."

Nobody is questioning your dedication, hardcore.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:11 pm

dodint wrote:Absolutely.

Poster asked about 'military law' and I was speaking colloquially about JAG offices, hence my clarifying statement "every base I've ever served on the legal office had civilians working alongside active duty JAGs."

Nobody is questioning your dedication, hardcore.

To be fair, the first sentence made it sound like there is such a thing as a civilian JAG.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Yup, I could've been more clear.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Anyone apply for USAF DAP Oct 2016 board? If so I'd be curious to find out about your interview experience.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:04 am

usfvictor wrote:Anyone apply for USAF DAP Oct 2016 board? If so I'd be curious to find out about your interview experience.

I did. Feel free to message me if you'd like to chat.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:01 pm

In case anyone else is wondering

U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting
17 hrs ·
ATTENTION 3Ls and Lawyers: APPLY NOW! The December DAP board is open and we are accepting applications. The online application must be submitted by 10 Nov 16, and you must have your SJA interview completed by 1 Dec 16. You can access the online application at www.airforce.com/jag.
The October board results will be released within 30-60 days. If the results are not released by 30 Oct 16, we recommend applying to the December board. If you are selected at the October board we will delete your application for the December board. We will make an announcement when the October board results are released.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:09 pm

usfvictor wrote:In case anyone else is wondering

17 hrs ·
ATTENTION 3Ls and Lawyers: APPLY NOW! The December DAP board is open and we are accepting applications. The online application must be submitted by 10 Nov 16, and you must have your SJA interview completed by 1 Dec 16. You can access the online application at http://www.airforce.com/jag.
The October board results will be released within 30-60 days. If the results are not released by 30 Oct 16, we recommend applying to the December board. If you are selected at the October board we will delete your application for the December board. We will make an announcement when the October board results are released.

So that means the Oct board has met? Good sign for early results I would assume

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:17 pm

w7ldcard wrote:
usfvictor wrote:In case anyone else is wondering

17 hrs ·
ATTENTION 3Ls and Lawyers: APPLY NOW! The December DAP board is open and we are accepting applications. The online application must be submitted by 10 Nov 16, and you must have your SJA interview completed by 1 Dec 16. You can access the online application at http://www.airforce.com/jag.

So that means the Oct board has met? Good sign for early results I would assume

that's what i'm hoping

Kelaw364

Postby Kelaw364 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience getting denied the first time and accepted the second?

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Kelaw364 wrote:Does anyone have any experience getting denied the first time and accepted the second?

there's a couple of people that have posted having to be considered 3 or 4 times before getting accepted. and it seems the norm, based on the thread (so take it with a grain of salt :)), that most people aren't selected on the first try.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:09 pm

usfvictor wrote:
Kelaw364 wrote:Does anyone have any experience getting denied the first time and accepted the second?

there's a couple of people that have posted having to be considered 3 or 4 times before getting accepted. and it seems the norm, based on the thread (so take it with a grain of salt :)), that most people aren't selected on the first try.

Just wanted to echo this. I did an AF JAG externship this summer and a few of them didn't get picked up on their first board. They told me not to get discouraged if didn't make the first round because a lot of qualified candidates don't get picked up until their second board.

Kelaw364

Postby Kelaw364 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:25 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:
usfvictor wrote:

Just wanted to echo this. I did an AF JAG externship this summer and a few of them didn't get picked up on their first board. They told me not to get discouraged if didn't make the first round because a lot of qualified candidates don't get picked up until their second board.

Thanks for the info. I am a 3L at a tier 3, but my entire family is soldiers in the air force, I lived on an army base overseas growing up, I'm on moot and trial teams and the editor of law review. But during my interview I disclosed that I had experimented with marijuana when it became legal in colorado. Does that ruin my chances? The SJA asked me a lot of questions about it and the whole intwrview was an hour and a half.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Kelaw364 wrote:
livefromannarbor wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am a 3L at a tier 3, but my entire family is soldiers in the air force, I lived on an army base overseas growing up, I'm on moot and trial teams and the editor of law review. But during my interview I disclosed that I had experimented with marijuana when it became legal in colorado. Does that ruin my chances? The SJA asked me a lot of questions about it and the whole intwrview was an hour and a half.

Honestly, I don't know. I was explicitly told at one point or another (not in my interview) that prior drug use is not disqualifying as long as you're up front about it and aren't still using, but I do know at least one JAG who wasn't picked up until his second board and believes it was due to his disclosure about smoking weed a couple of times as a teen or something along those lines. I feel like this is such a crapshoot that it's hard to know, but maybe somebody else will have better info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:46 pm

I know someone who was selected Air Force on his first try, and he disclosed experimenting mj with his SJA.

Does anyone have any experience getting denied the first time and accepted the second?
It's quite common. I believe each board is composed of different officers, so there's some subjectivity in what each individual board is looking for. If you're not selected the first time, don't let that discourage you. Applying again shows that you're committed.

howell

Postby howell » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:01 am

Kelaw364 wrote:Thanks for the info. I am a 3L at a tier 3, but my entire family is soldiers in the air force, I lived on an army base overseas growing up, I'm on moot and trial teams and the editor of law review. But during my interview I disclosed that I had experimented with marijuana when it became legal in colorado. Does that ruin my chances? The SJA asked me a lot of questions about it and the whole intwrview was an hour and a half.

I know several people who disclosed use during college who still got into the Air Force. Others who have more significant use have applied many times and still not gotten in.

Marijuana has only been legal in Colorado for, what, 4 years? Did you use after you started law school? The recency could be an issue. You want to be able to explain why it's not a concern anymore and distance yourself from the use.

An SJA asking a lot of questions about it is not necessarily good or bad. Some SJAs will really dig into the problem areas with you if they like you so they can do a better job of explaining away the negatives in their recommendations.

howell

Postby howell » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:03 am

It took me 3 times to get accepted. Do what you can to get feedback from whoever you interviewed for before if you get rejected. The feedback to me was incredibly helpful. I fixed the problem the SJA identified and got accepted the next time. Results will vary.

Kelaw364

Postby Kelaw364 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:34 pm

howell wrote:
Kelaw364 wrote:Thanks for the info. I am a 3L at a tier 3, but my entire family is soldiers in the air force, I lived on an army base overseas growing up, I'm on moot and trial teams and the editor of law review. But during my interview I disclosed that I had experimented with marijuana when it became legal in colorado. Does that ruin my chances? The SJA asked me a lot of questions about it and the whole intwrview was an hour and a half.

I know several people who disclosed use during college who still got into the Air Force. Others who have more significant use have applied many times and still not gotten in.

Marijuana has only been legal in Colorado for, what, 4 years? Did you use after you started law school? The recency could be an issue. You want to be able to explain why it's not a concern anymore and distance yourself from the use.

An SJA asking a lot of questions about it is not necessarily good or bad. Some SJAs will really dig into the problem areas with you if they like you so they can do a better job of explaining away the negatives in their recommendations.

I went to undergrad in colorado and tried it then but now I'm in law school in NY and haven't since I moved to NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:41 am

Got a few quick questions for Air Force jag.

First, a little background I applied and was interviewed during my 3 l year in law school. Wasn't offered a commission. When I got that, I decided to settle into some safe jobs - worked for a small private civil firm for a year doing mostly real estate/property disputes/family law/oil and gas work. I left that job after a year and moved to my states Capitol to work for the public defenders and handled juvenile defense in our office. I then moved to the D.A. Office and have been here for about a year and a half. I handle felony matters, mostly preliminary hearings and get some circuit court cases here and there (it takes years to get assigned to one of our circuit court judges and handle all felonies that that particular judge hears.)

So, I do have a few questions because I'm going to give it another go, because I really want this, and I've never stopped thinking about it. I kept telling myself that trying to uproot my family again for another job is just more trouble than it's worth. I'm married, have a 4 month old son, own a house, and have a great job, but I can't kick this jag thing.

1. Would my work history hurt or help me? I ask because I'm afraid that the fact that I've held 3 jobs in 3 years (all because of moves I chose to do and were upward moves in my opinion) may show a lack of commitment. However, I have experienced a ton of different areas from civil issues, to criminal defense, to prosecution.

2. My statement of motivation: having a hard time deciding on the route I should take here. Should I focus on my work experience, my physical fitness (I was out of shape when I initially applied, I am now an avid runner, and run marathons, half marathons /etc, and have never been healthier/in better shape than o currently am - even from back in my high school and college football days) And discuss the motivation and dedication it takes to train and complete marathons, and compare that to the motivation and dedication I would have in being a uniformed officer. Or should I try to focus on combining the two?

3. Letters of recommendation: I have a real problem here. I know several people who would write great letters for me, but I also do t want my boss to catch wind of this just yet, because I really do love my job and I don't want the chance of it getting out I'm applying elsewhere, thus indicating I'm possibly not committed to my current job. I can ask my former boss from the civil firm, but that's about the only person who can talk about my work ethic that I would feel comfortable asking and it not getting to my boss. I don't want to reach out to professors again because I don't know how helpful a letter from
Someone I haven't really had any contact with in 3 + years can help. how important are they to begin with? I had several professors write letters for me the first time and they were glowing endorsements and I still didn't get it. Im leaning toward just not doing the letters at all. Thoughts on that?

Sorry for the long post. I just can't get rid of this desire to do jag. And it's obviously not for money because I'd be taking a decent pay cut to go in as an 0-2, but it's something that I'll always question if I don't keep trying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Just my opinions from a fellow applicant:

1. Use your work history to your advantage in your motivation statement and interview. Criminal litigation is a big part of JAG, and they also practice in different areas and move frequently with PCS.

2. Motivation statement is basically a cover letter. Maybe discuss a portion about your fitness, but you also need to write about your work experience, which sounds like your strongest point as discussed in the first point. Also, your photo and the interviewing SJA will assess your fitness.

3. Letters - get 5 of them no matter what. Since you're only three years out, I'd have at least one prof.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 am

I may be reading far, far too much into this because I'm anxiously waiting, but I noticed when I logged into my online application account today, it says in the top right corner that I applied for the DAP Board (05 October 2016). Do you think that this means the board met on the 5th? That seems a little early to me (and we can get our results whenever, so it probably doesn't indicate that there will be an early release), but I'm curious what your thoughts are.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:29 am

livefromannarbor wrote:I may be reading far, far too much into this because I'm anxiously waiting, but I noticed when I logged into my online application account today, it says in the top right corner that I applied for the DAP Board (05 October 2016). Do you think that this means the board met on the 5th? That seems a little early to me (and we can get our results whenever, so it probably doesn't indicate that there will be an early release), but I'm curious what your thoughts are.

The FB page made the update on October 6th, so it may be that they meet the 5th. I know from other posts its tough to go off that date in the application because it doesn't always align to when decisions are communicated. but for our sake I hope the meet the 5th, the decisions were finalized this week, and we will find out by next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Originally the date was 10/1, which was a Sat. My guess is that not too many people apply for the Oct board, so it goes by quickly. The biggest wait now is for TJAG to approve the board's recommendations and JAX to process the list. From previous posts, selectees are usually contacted by their SJAs on a Tues. Probably the 25th if I had to guess. Non-selectees will get either an email or letter sometime after that.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Originally the date was 10/1, which was a Sat. My guess is that not too many people apply for the Oct board, so it goes by quickly. The biggest wait now is for TJAG to approve the board's recommendations and JAX to process the list. From previous posts, selectees are usually contacted by their SJAs on a Tues. Probably the 25th if I had to guess. Non-selectees will get either an email or letter sometime after that.

You know I've wondered how many people apply to each DAP and if there's a difference in the amount accepted in each. I know they tend to release the amount each DAP (total vs accepted), but I haven't paid much attention to whether there is a trend in each. If anyone knows though, feel free to share.

Return to “Legal Employment”