Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:58 pm

This is information to hopefully clear up anything said in the past that wasn't clear about applicants put on the Army Alternate List.

For the past 2 years, every person put on the Alternate List was automatically eligible and offered a Reserve commission. So everybody on the Alternative List had that option if they wanted. As the accession process went/goes on and before you've left for training/the next application cycle hasn't started yet, if Active Duty picks you up, you can automatically switch over to Active Duty with no problem.

Just wanted to put that out there b/c I searched through a lot of past posts without finding a clear answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is information to hopefully clear up anything said in the past that wasn't clear about applicants put on the Army Alternate List.

For the past 2 years, every person put on the Alternate List was automatically eligible and offered a Reserve commission. So everybody on the Alternative List had that option if they wanted. As the accession process went/goes on and before you've left for training/the next application cycle hasn't started yet, if Active Duty picks you up, you can automatically switch over to Active Duty with no problem.

Just wanted to put that out there b/c I searched through a lot of past posts without finding a clear answer.
So are you saying that you need to apply for the next cycle or you are kind of just picked up once you finish the accession process or training?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is information to hopefully clear up anything said in the past that wasn't clear about applicants put on the Army Alternate List.

So are you saying that you need to apply for the next cycle or you are kind of just picked up once you finish the accession process or training?
So if you pick up the option, and start the Accessions Process w/ the Reserve, and then are waiting to go to training...during that time period before training starts, if AD picks you up...then you're good to go AD.

If you go to training and before then, AD never picked you up...then you're in the Reserve.

If you don't pick up the option, don't start the Accessions Process w/ the Reserve, and AD never picks you up...then you have to re-apply for the next cycle when that comes around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So if you pick up the option, and start the Accessions Process w/ the Reserve, and then are waiting to go to training...during that time period before training starts, if AD picks you up...then you're good to go AD.

If you go to training and before then, AD never picked you up...then you're in the Reserve.

If you don't pick up the option, don't start the Accessions Process w/ the Reserve, and AD never picks you up...then you have to re-apply for the next cycle when that comes around.
So, you're saying that if you apply for AD and Reserve, and you're an alternate for AD, you will (1) almost definitely get Reserve, and (2) if you accept Reserve, you can easily switch to AD if you get picked up off the alternate list.

Do you have any info about how often people on the AD alternate list get picked up for AD (regardless of whether they applied for Reserve)? I remember seeing a post that everybody on the AD alternate list for the Dec 2014 board got picked up eventually, but I wanted to verify if that was true, and see if the trend continued/is continuing on the most recent board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So, you're saying that if you apply for AD and Reserve, and you're an alternate for AD, you will (1) almost definitely get Reserve, and (2) if you accept Reserve, you can easily switch to AD if you get picked up off the alternate list.

Do you have any info about how often people on the AD alternate list get picked up for AD (regardless of whether they applied for Reserve)? I remember seeing a post that everybody on the AD alternate list for the Dec 2014 board got picked up eventually, but I wanted to verify if that was true, and see if the trend continued/is continuing on the most recent board.
I was kind of wondering why they would want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on you as an alternate (paperwork, MEPS, background check, etc.), if they weren't going to pick you up... Doesn't really make any sense so this clears up a lot of questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Before answering 1 and 2, this is just applying for AD...I never applied for Reserves...when I talked to them on the phone (one-on-one) they told me that literally everybody in their system is treated exactly the same (the Accessions Process and everything), except on one spreadsheet is the list of ADs and on the other spreadsheet is the list of Reserves (and obviously AD has AD Orders and Reserves has Reserve Orders)...they give the option of everybody on the AD Alternate List automatically qualifying for and being offered a Reserve Commission because the Army wants all those people, regardless of AD or Reserve...

1 - yes...from the past 2 years, that is the trend
2 - yes...exactly

About your last question...JARO held a conference call in March for everybody on the AD Alternate List...they told us that a good amount of the people from the Dec 2014 Board placed on the Alternate List eventually got picked up for AD (they didn't give us an exact number...of course). They also told us everybody on our board (Dec 2015) that got placed on the Alternate List had a good chance of getting picked up for AD...of course no guarantees or anything, but that it was looking good...and that they would probably have more exact numbers during the summer months (around July they said) about picking up the rest of the Alternates that didn't get picked up initially earlier this year (in late Feb 2016)

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 am

I know someone on the AD Alt list who got picked up already this cycle.

Also, the Reserves accessions process seems to be faster than AD because I have a friend who already submitted their packet to JARO. The ADs just filled out some basic spreadsheet with info so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:04 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:I know someone on the AD Alt list who got picked up already this cycle.

Also, the Reserves accessions process seems to be faster than AD because I have a friend who already submitted their packet to JARO. The ADs just filled out some basic spreadsheet with info so far.
By "this cycle" when do you mean?...back in February or more recently?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:I know someone on the AD Alt list who got picked up already this cycle.

The Army list which came out in December 2015. I spoke with him maybe a month or so ago (April?) and he said he was 'recently offered' AD. His class will be going to JAOBC as the 202 or 203.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:27 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The Army list which came out in December 2015. I spoke with him maybe a month or so ago (April?) and he said he was 'recently offered' AD. His class will be going to JAOBC as the 202 or 203.
Oh, I thought you were also picked up Dec 2015. Which JAOBC class will you most likely be going to?

I can also confirm that I have also been going through the Reserve Accession process and have already submitted my packet to JARO already.

MaverickDC123

New

Post by MaverickDC123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, I thought you were also picked up Dec 2015. Which JAOBC class will you most likely be going to?

I can also confirm that I have also been going through the Reserve Accession process and have already submitted my packet to JARO already.
Hello,
I am going through the reserve accessions process as well. Have you heard anything regarding MEPS? I thought JARO was supposed to let us know how to set up a physical several weeks ago. Cheers!

MaverickDC123

New

Post by MaverickDC123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hello,
I am going through the reserve accessions process as well. Have you heard anything regarding MEPS? I thought JARO was supposed to let us know how to set up a physical several weeks ago. Cheers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:23 pm

MaverickDC123 wrote: Hello,
I haven't heard anything about MEPS yet...I got an email confirmation this morning that my hard copy Accession Packet was received. I know it arrived 2 weeks ago though. I know it takes them a while to get to us. I think we just gotta be patient for now. You trying to get in on Oct 2016 201st DCC/JAOBC? Even though they told us in the email that if we get all our paperwork done for it in time that we might be able to attend that training, but I highly doubt it will happen. I'll post here though when I hear anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MaverickDC123

New

Post by MaverickDC123 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MaverickDC123 wrote: Hello,
I haven't heard anything about MEPS yet...I got an email confirmation this morning that my hard copy Accession Packet was received. I know it arrived 2 weeks ago though. I know it takes them a while to get to us. I think we just gotta be patient for now. You trying to get in on Oct 2016 201st DCC/JAOBC? Even though they told us in the email that if we get all our paperwork done for it in time that we might be able to attend that training, but I highly doubt it will happen. I'll post here though when I hear anything.
Thanks for the reply. I got the confirmation email as well. I'm shooting for the Jan 2017 class (202nd DCC/JAOBC). I've heard the accession process takes about a year. I'll let you know if I hear anything new!

JayDubya

New

Post by JayDubya » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Rising 3L interested in going Army Reserve JAG. I just got my first C in law school (was top 1/3 with a mix of As and Bs, no clue my standing now). Should I even bother applying at this point???

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:17 am

JayDubya wrote:Rising 3L interested in going Army Reserve JAG. I just got my first C in law school (was top 1/3 with a mix of As and Bs, no clue my standing now). Should I even bother applying at this point???
They say the Army takes a holistic approach. I found this to be pretty true. They care less about class rank and school rank than other legal employers. I would still apply. I'd try and get an externship with the Army or get really involved in some military law school club and go to networking events. Look at the application and try to beef up the parts they like (leadership, fitness, team player, etc.).

Side note, I was also told failing the bar your first time is not the end of the world for JAG. If you fail three times in a row, then they worry. So 1 C might not be the end of you.

Fletch.F.Fletch

New

Post by Fletch.F.Fletch » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Planning on applying for Fall 2016 Army selection board. I went to a top 20 undergrad and top 15 law school, and I have been in practice in Chicago for two years. I left my midsize firm (~50 attorneys) with a six figure salary this past spring because I wanted a more litigation focused practice and I despised my practice area. So I left and traveled for three months. I've always wanted to go military, and after talking to two friends from law school who are current Army JAGs, I am pretty set on it. My undergrad GPA was a 3.5, law school GPA a 3.1, LSAT 162, and I am in pretty great physical shape (boxed in college - only mentioned because I know military wants well rounded candidates). Character wise, I am on an associate board of a nonprofit helping homeless families, and I am going to volunteer with a legal aid group. I was cited 8 years ago for minor in possession of alcohol and disorderly conduct, but both were dropped after completion of a pretrial diversion program. I'll do what the Army says and go where they send me, so I'm not concerned about it not being a fit.

As a Direct Appointment applicant, I understand I need to interview with a FSO at a nearby Chicago law school. Does anyone know if I have to contact the law school and arrange to participate in their OCI, or do I reach out to the FSO directly?

Lastly, with regards to recommendations, anyone have any insight as to who I should choose? Partners at my former firm who can speak to my legal acumen and litigation skills? Family friend who is a former JAG officer? Law school profs?

Appreciate any insight folks have about JAG life and the application process in general.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Fletch.F.Fletch wrote:Does anyone know if I have to contact the law school and arrange to participate in their OCI, or do I reach out to the FSO directly?

Lastly, with regards to recommendations, anyone have any insight as to who I should choose? Partners at my former firm who can speak to my legal acumen and litigation skills? Family friend who is a former JAG officer? Law school profs?
Army posts the FSO list online. I think you reach out directly. I have not heard of graduates participating in OCI. The FSO needs to become your best friend, so it wouldn't hurt to contact them directly to show how interested you are (and get their help on the application).

LORs- JAs like other JAs. If the Army friend can say 'Jim is someone I would work with and he would make an excellent addition to the JAG Corps,' then that is good. Since it's super selective, I think having letters from Army people would be more beneficial than a boss who says 'Jim is a great guy and does great work.'

*My mandatory disclaimer- not active duty, this is based on my personal experience in the process*

EasternAndSunset

New

Post by EasternAndSunset » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:13 am

Just got called this morning. I was on the Army Active Duty Alternate list and I officially got picked up for AD today. Pretty pumped. Also to let you all know, when they gave the alternates the option to take a Reserve commission, I did take it and filled out my packet and stuff, and that seemed to help the process move along a little faster for me now. They project me going to DCC & JAOBC May 2017...but possibly Jan 2017 (they said very slim chance though)...long ways away, but can't do anything about it. I actually called 2 weeks ago to inform them about an address change. I also asked if they were going to pick up anybody else off the alternate list. They said they were probably going to make a decision about it in the beginning of August, but from the sound of her voice it seemed like they weren't going to select anyone else. So when I got a call today I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully others also got a call recently.

Also, for those wondering, here was my background when I applied:

2015 Grad
Tier 4 Law School - top 30%
SBA
President of a law school society/club
Mock Trial
Moot Court - competed
JAG Internship - Army National Guard
3 District Attorney Internships - same county, 3 different units

I will also echo pretty much all those who have been selected in the past. The Army really does look at the "whole person" concept.
My interviewer asked me a lot of questions about my physical fitness...not just a history of good physical fitness, but also current training.
Leadership also seemed to be a big deal. Being on SBA was a big positive for my interviewer, and it helped that I had a lot of previous leadership roles for various things.
Court experience was another highlight. Competing in mock trial/moot court, but also having internships where you actually did something in court (preliminary hearings, motions, etc.).
I don't know if all FSO's are this transparent, but mine kind of showed me all the boxes/topics they are able to fill in information about. The better applicants have a good amount of information filled in for every box.

Hopefully that helps those applying in the future. Feel free to ask me questions.

UltimateSplitter

Bronze

Post by UltimateSplitter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I wanted to say thanks to everyone (and especially to Patrick) for posting all of their insight on here. I'll be applying to law school next month and am hoping to go through the Marine's PLC program for Judge Advocates. This has been a great resource and a great distraction at work.

Is there anyone else (likely other lurkers) who is looking into similar programs?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:08 pm

UltimateSplitter wrote:I wanted to say thanks to everyone (and especially to Patrick) for posting all of their insight on here. I'll be applying to law school next month and am hoping to go through the Marine's PLC program for Judge Advocates. This has been a great resource and a great distraction at work.

Is there anyone else (likely other lurkers) who is looking into similar programs?
Good luck. And I'm glad the posts have helped.

I just happened to see this on my FB feed:

Attention 3Ls and Lawyers: APPLY NOW! Our October Direct Appointment Board is open and accepting applications. The online application must
be submitted by 10 Sep 16, and you must have your SJA interview completed by 1 Oct 16. We recommend submitting your application as
early as possible to avoid any issues. You can access the online application at www.airforce.com/jag.

https://www.facebook.com/USAFJAG/?fref=nf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Is the Air Force application website down? I have been trying to log in for over an hour and nothing loads...

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the Air Force application website down? I have been trying to log in for over an hour and nothing loads...
I was just able to click into the AF site I linked in my previous post. That said, the AFCCA site has been down all day - that has been a general sign that certain JAG servers at Maxwell AFB have gone down (again). If the site you are looking for happens to be hosted by those servers, that may be the issue. I recommend just calling JAX tomorrow if you are still having problems.

dodint

Bronze

Post by dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:37 am

I've actually read this entire thread and continue to follow it, but I've got a question that's kind of too basic to even really search.

I'm starting a 4 year (part time) law program in two weeks, I'll graduate in May 2020.

When would I actually get in touch with JARO and begin the process? Seems premature at this point.

I'm only interested in Army and Coast Guard. Too old to go back into the Marines and I'm not particularly interested in the Navy/Air Force for mostly petty reasons. ;)

Thanks for any insight.

EasternAndSunset

New

Post by EasternAndSunset » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:10 pm

dodint wrote:I've actually read this entire thread and continue to follow it, but I've got a question that's kind of too basic to even really search.

I'm starting a 4 year (part time) law program in two weeks, I'll graduate in May 2020.

When would I actually get in touch with JARO and begin the process? Seems premature at this point.

I'm only interested in Army and Coast Guard. Too old to go back into the Marines and I'm not particularly interested in the Navy/Air Force for mostly petty reasons. ;)

Thanks for any insight.
If you're going Army, you'll want to definitely try for the Army 2L Internship (assuming they'll still have it in the next few years). Even though you'll be part time, you'll technically be a 2L after this first year. So you can apply next year (2017). The application usually opens up around this time every year and you can schedule your FSO interview then. As far as applying for an actual commission post-grad, you can apply for that your last year of school, so 2019, if you're graduating 2020. Application for that also opens up around this time every year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”