Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Has anyone heard anything back from GLP/OYCP? An earlier post mentioned that 2015 notifications were made in the last week of February, but one of my buddies said his interviewing SJA told him that the good news calls would be made by today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything back from GLP/OYCP? An earlier post mentioned that 2015 notifications were made in the last week of February, but one of my buddies said his interviewing SJA told him that the good news calls would be made by today.

That seems surprising to me- the board supposedly met 6 Feb 16, which would make today only two weeks after. My combing of the past threads suggests three weeks from board to when we hear.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:39 pm

Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:43 pm

OK so this may be naive but, I could use some advice. Last week I was notified that I received an USAF externship, with a deadline of accepting this Tuesday. However, the email also says that base assignments will not come out for a few weeks. I am wondering if I accept the externship, and then get stationed at base that I can't afford to live for the summer, would it be extremely frowned upon to withdraw at that point? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Since it's unpaid, they'll do their best to assign you according to your wish list. If they place you elsewhere, then it's understandable IMO if you withdraw. I wouldn't be too worried though. Last year, they gave me a location that was on my list and still wanted reassurances from me that it was ok.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything back from GLP/OYCP? An earlier post mentioned that 2015 notifications were made in the last week of February, but one of my buddies said his interviewing SJA told him that the good news calls would be made by today.

I didn't receive a call from the SJA on Friday. Is this bad news, and should I expect a non-select?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:20 pm

That was me who posted the above. My buddy hasn't received a call yet either. It's only officially over if you receive the ding email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:50 am

I received a call from my interviewing SJA that I was accepted into the OYCP on Monday (2.22). GLP calls should have gone out around the same time as well, the AFROTC detachment I'll be doing the program with also had a GLP select that had contacted them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Were you selected for AF OYCP? Or some other branch?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:50 pm

If I didn't receive a call from the AF SJA for OYCP/GLP at this point, can I assume that I'm a non-select for this board?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I received a call from my interviewing SJA that I was accepted into the OYCP on Monday (2.22). GLP calls should have gone out around the same time as well, the AFROTC detachment I'll be doing the program with also had a GLP select that had contacted them.

I received a call from my interviewing SJA last night (2/23). I had applied for the GLP and was accepted, so it does appear that calls are in the process of going out for both GLP and OYCP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were you selected for AF OYCP? Or some other branch?

Air Force

Anonymous User wrote:If I didn't receive a call from the AF SJA for OYCP/GLP at this point, can I assume that I'm a non-select for this board?

I obviously don't have a sure-fire answer to that question, but I wouldn't assume anything just yet; maybe give it until the end of the week given that some other comments indicate the calls could come at different times (I was called early Monday, another user late Tuesday - seems to be as soon as the SJA gets the chance to call). Also, I was told that there would be a follow-up packet of information sent which hasn't yet arrived, so there might still be some phone calls going out. Best of luck to you!

Armylaw101

Postby Armylaw101 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:38 am

Anyone know of any outside funding sources that might be applicable to a Navy JAG internship position? I know there are a lot of organizations that will give fellowships and scholarships to people with an unpaid internship in the public sector, but none that I think would apply to a Navy position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Why would the Navy not qualify? It's unpaid public service/interest and government. My school offers fellowships for unpaid summer jobs, and any civilian or military government internship qualifies.

keong678

Postby keong678 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Good afternoon guys!

I applied as a Army JAG Intern for the summer and was put on the alternate list. I was just notified if I would be interested in serving as an EXTERN within the JAG CORPS. Has anyone done this? If yes, could you share some experiences with me??

Thank you!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Biggest difference is you don't get paid. The work should be the same.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:16 am

keong678 wrote:Good afternoon guys!

I applied as a Army JAG Intern for the summer and was put on the alternate list. I was just notified if I would be interested in serving as an EXTERN within the JAG CORPS. Has anyone done this? If yes, could you share some experiences with me??

Thank you!!!

I know someone who did this (they were selected for active). You are not paid, but it still looks good when you apply for AD. You'll get an 'extern evaluation' at the end which you can add to your AD application. Also, get LORs from your supervisors. You might be able to get a public interest stipend from your school.

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:43 pm

I was notified earlier today via e-mail that I was taken off the alternate list and given an active duty slot!!!! Huge sigh of relief. I'm so happy right now. I can't even. :lol: :D :) :mrgreen:

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:49 am

paolomiguel wrote:I was notified earlier today via e-mail that I was taken off the alternate list and given an active duty slot!!!! Huge sigh of relief. I'm so happy right now. I can't even. :lol: :D :) :mrgreen:

Congratulations! Which service?

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:41 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
paolomiguel wrote:I was notified earlier today via e-mail that I was taken off the alternate list and given an active duty slot!!!! Huge sigh of relief. I'm so happy right now. I can't even. :lol: :D :) :mrgreen:

Congratulations! Which service?

Thank you! It's with the Army!

Legalmind

Postby Legalmind » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:52 pm

I have also been taken off the alternate list and selected for Army Active Duty!!! After almost 4 years of applying to all branches, this is finally becoming a reality!

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Legalmind wrote:I have also been taken off the alternate list and selected for Army Active Duty!!! After almost 4 years of applying to all branches, this is finally becoming a reality!

Woohoo. Congrats Legalmind. :D

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Legalmind wrote:I have also been taken off the alternate list and selected for Army Active Duty!!! After almost 4 years of applying to all branches, this is finally becoming a reality!

Congrats!

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:59 am

I was selected for active duty off the alternate list as well! Congrats to all who were picked up and good luck to those who havent been picked up yet!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:38 am

bump

Return to “Legal Employment”