Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm an alternate for the 2L army jag summer internship and I got asked to send in an acceptance form. Hopefully that's a good thing

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 pm

EastCoastBoat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else apply to the Air Force GLP/OYCP? Apparently, the board is meeting this week. Hope to hear some good news from folks here in a few weeks.

I applied for OYCP with Air Force JAG Corps as well. I'm hoping to hear back by March. A friend of mine was selected via Direct Appointment and heard back within 3-4 weeks. Apparently the interviewer calls with the good news. If you applied before Jan 31, the February board meets, so I think the March timeline works.

Let me know if you hear anything. It's hard to find other USAF JAG applicants in law school. All my friends are going Navy and Marine.
We should know by late Feb or early March. Like you said, the SJA calls selectees, and they send an email to everyone. Hopefully, we'll be one of luckier ones. Good luck!

keong678

Postby keong678 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an alternate for the 2L army jag summer internship and I got asked to send in an acceptance form. Hopefully that's a good thing

I was given that option too, the recruiting officer told me that they will let us know in the coming weeks if a position becomes available. The email exchange was on Jan. 24th of 2016.

Keep me posted!

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
EastCoastBoat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else apply to the Air Force GLP/OYCP? Apparently, the board is meeting this week. Hope to hear some good news from folks here in a few weeks.

I applied for OYCP with Air Force JAG Corps as well. I'm hoping to hear back by March. A friend of mine was selected via Direct Appointment and heard back within 3-4 weeks. Apparently the interviewer calls with the good news. If you applied before Jan 31, the February board meets, so I think the March timeline works.

Let me know if you hear anything. It's hard to find other USAF JAG applicants in law school. All my friends are going Navy and Marine.
We should know by late Feb or early March. Like you said, the SJA calls selectees, and they send an email to everyone. Hopefully, we'll be one of luckier ones. Good luck!

Just for a data point, last year we got calls around Feb 25th. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 pm

skylaws wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
EastCoastBoat wrote:

Thanks. Do you know about how many of y'all were selected last year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:36 am

SBlaw2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SBlaw2013 wrote:This might be early, but I was picked up for Army JAG Reserves and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any tips for setting myself up as a reservist with the intention of applying to AD in the future (after a mobilization or if I'm lucky enough to get selected for deployment, but my understanding is a mob. is much more likely)? Just wondering if anyone on here has made that specific transition, and whether they have some tips.

Try to do a one-year mob at a big post with a lot of potential opportunities. I know someone who got picked up for AD, and he/she did a mob.

I was selected for Reserves in lieu of Active Duty last year but reapplied for this year's Active Duty. The interviewer told me that it is extremely hard to go from Reserves to Active Duty because the military already has you. Just food for thought.

I'm working for a reservist, and again, not an expert and this may not be reflective of the circumstances as a whole, but he told me that every reserve JAG that applied to go AD in his unit was picked up this fall for the Army; which is a big reason why I'm accepting the commission. It's definitely a gamble, but either way I'll be able to serve in some way if I can't go AD.

If you get into the reserves instead of AD, I would still definitely take it. I know a couple reservists who have been able to make it to AD. I never got the impression that the Army wouldn't accept you into AD because they "already had you." Someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
skylaws wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
EastCoastBoat wrote:

Don't know how many were selected, but it can't have been many - I can't remember exactly how many of us were at field training, but it was not a lot. Certainly less than 20. I assume that there had been some attrition from medical disqualifications/declined offers/etc. at that point though.

herring3279

Postby herring3279 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Hello all,

I am a 2015 GLP selectee and currently preparing to attend Field Training this summer. I was wondering if anyone on this thread has attended Field Training as a law student and has any advice? You can PM me or reply to this post.

Thank you!

Armylaw101

Postby Armylaw101 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Does anyone know of anybody who was picked up off the alternates list for Navy summer JAG internship?

elektriklemon

Postby elektriklemon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:30 pm

I was put on the alternates list for Navy JAG Summer 2016 Program. From looking into past forum post and post on the Navy JAG website, I did find one of two people who were picked up off the alternate lists in 2013 and 2014, but not 2015. :cry: Anybody else's insight would help!

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 am

herring3279 wrote:Hello all,

I am a 2015 GLP selectee and currently preparing to attend Field Training this summer. I was wondering if anyone on this thread has attended Field Training as a law student and has any advice? You can PM me or reply to this post.

Thank you!

Il'l PM you rather than clutter this thread with it since interested parties are probably few and far between, but if I'm wrong on that and others are lurking, just shoot me a message.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:21 pm

skylaws wrote:

Thank you!

Il'l PM you rather than clutter this thread with it since interested parties are probably few and far between, but if I'm wrong on that and others are lurking, just shoot me a message.

I'm an interested party. Is Field Training anything like Marine OCS where the attrition rate is anywhere from 30-45%?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
skylaws wrote:

Thank you!

I'm an interested party. Is Field Training anything like Marine OCS where the attrition rate is anywhere from 30-45%?

As a general rule, the answer to anything in the Air Force training arena being like the Marine Corps training is going to be a definitive "no."

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm

I GOT THE ARMY JAG INTERNSHIP AS AN ALTERNATE!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
skylaws wrote:

Thank you!

Also interested :)

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
skylaws wrote:

Thank you!

Sorry, missed it the first time. I have no idea what the attrition rate is - they don't exactly tell us that. That said, Patrick Bateman's comment is probably the correct response. Also, if I made it through, I think pretty much anyone can if they put in the appropriate amount of prep work and keep a good attitude (positive, ready to learn, etc.).

Jules07

Postby Jules07 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
skylaws wrote:

Thank you!

You won't get sent home unless you're seriously injured (out of training for 72 hours or something), or you display indifference to military training. Basically, as long as you don't get hurt, you give it your best effort (and show improvement), and pass the PFA, you'll be fine. The biggest cause of injury at FT is actually blisters. I saw a girl have to go home because of heat stroke, but one kid had his hand bitten by a brown recluse and was able to tough it out. And there's always a few jokers who get sent home for not taking anything seriously.

EastCoastBoat

Postby EastCoastBoat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:00 pm

skylaws wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
skylaws wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
EastCoastBoat wrote:

Don't know how many were selected, but it can't have been many - I can't remember exactly how many of us were at field training, but it was not a lot. Certainly less than 20. I assume that there had been some attrition from medical disqualifications/declined offers/etc. at that point though.

Thanks for the response. This is helpful and reassuring. I guess the waiting game won't kill me.

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:I GOT THE ARMY JAG INTERNSHIP AS AN ALTERNATE!!

Congratulations!

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Has anyone from the Army AD Alternate List heard anything yet? The entire alternate list got picked up in 2014 between May and November.

ss3db1

Postby ss3db1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Thank you!

I attended FT last year as a 2015 GLP select (Cadre sent me last summer so I could get it out of the way). As far as advice goes, you will not be doing anything different than any other Cadet at Field Training. If you have been with your detachment for the past year then you will be more than prepared for everything that they throw at you so don't worry about it, there were about 5-6 of us who went down last year with only a couple of weeks training and did the FTAP program (an extra week of pseudo FT which includes AS100 and AS200 classes and some basic drill) and we all did just fine. Just make sure that you are physically in shape, have really great familiarity with your FTM and focus on being a good wingman and you will probably actually enjoy yourself.

To answer an earlier question, I believe from talking with my Cadre that there were about 15 selects between the GLP and OYCP for 2015. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me.

SRyder105

Postby SRyder105 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Anyone heading to the AF COT 16-03 (March COT) date?

Also, MEPS wasn't bad! Passed medical! Officially leaving for COT in under 6 weeks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:19 pm

SRyder105 wrote:
MEPS wasn't bad! Passed medical! Officially leaving for COT in under 6 weeks!

MEPS is only bad if you have something to hide. Unfortunately most of us do have something to hide from MEPS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:45 pm

I have been following this thread for about a year now. I graduated undergrad in December and am heading to law school in the fall. I'm currently volunteering at the JAG office at the base in my city and am planning on applying for the GLP next year. Any tips on what I should do to get the most out of my volunteering?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been following this thread for about a year now. I graduated undergrad in December and am heading to law school in the fall. I'm currently volunteering at the JAG office at the base in my city and am planning on applying for the GLP next year. Any tips on what I should do to get the most out of my volunteering?

You are probably going to get much better answers by asking the folks you are volunteering with than by asking this board. There are no magic bullets for applications, but a great recommendation from the SJA (and others) at your current base will probably be about as close as it comes.

Return to “Legal Employment”