Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Based on my experience with other Army 2L interns and the JAGs we worked with, being selected for the internship is a major help when you apply for JAG. Like, they said 75% of interns who apply get picked up. They've basically already vetted you when you applied for the internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Standish wrote:I just found out that I was accepted for the Army 2L internship. I'm really excited! I have a few questions.

I know all JAG positions are extremely selective, but how much does the internship improve my chances of direct commissioning after I pass the bar? If I get good recommendations from the Judge Advocates I work with this summer, would I probably be accepted after graduation, or are there still too many factors to be able to say?

This semester I'm taking mostly business law classes, as I was trying to increase my ability to get JD advantage jobs if I didn't get hired by a firm eventually. I understand that Army JAG has a significant litigation focus. Would it be a good idea to change my schedule for this semester to include more litigation classes?

Are there any bases that specialize in certain practice areas? Any advice on how to choose from the list of bases they provide?
Congrats! As long as you do a good job this summer and don't rest on your laurels during school, you have a very good shot at being selected for active duty.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Standish wrote:I just found out that I was accepted for the Army 2L internship. I'm really excited! I have a few questions.

I know all JAG positions are extremely selective, but how much does the internship improve my chances of direct commissioning after I pass the bar? If I get good recommendations from the Judge Advocates I work with this summer, would I probably be accepted after graduation, or are there still too many factors to be able to say?

This semester I'm taking mostly business law classes, as I was trying to increase my ability to get JD advantage jobs if I didn't get hired by a firm eventually. I understand that Army JAG has a significant litigation focus. Would it be a good idea to change my schedule for this semester to include more litigation classes?

Are there any bases that specialize in certain practice areas? Any advice on how to choose from the list of bases they provide?

Congratulations. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Be a hard worker, be sociable but not awkward. Just try to be the most likable, professional, and respectful version of yourself. I would call anyone ranked above a captain sir or ma'am (anyone else have input on this? it may be office dependent).

Try to find the answer out yourself first before asking others. And if you do ask others, show that you've been doing some research yourself before just asking someone ("Hey, I wanted to ask you about this case's application in this scenario. I've done a little bit of research on Lexis and found in the case law that it tends to apply in X and Y. I think that the case should apply in this Z scenario, but I wanted to chat with you and see what you thought.")

Also, try to use your social sense to find out the work expectations and "flow" of the office. Each office can vary from post to post based on the SJA and chiefs. If it seems like everyone stays late and grinds, you may want to follow suit until you sense differently. Be flexible and willing to change your work habits.

Work out now. You should go to early morning PT with everyone else, even if the boss tells you that you don't have to. It'll be a great opportunity to meet others and show them another aspect of yourself outside of the office. Work out now because you want to be able to keep up with your peers on a run or exercise. As a future JAG, physical readiness is just as important as your legal ability.

Go to any social events and functions, even if optional. Again, great way to meet others and show another side of yourself.

--

An internship definitely boosts your chances. A recommendation from a Chief or the SJA would go a long way.

Most FORSCOM posts have a wide variety of areas to practice.

If you can, try to fit in a criminal procedure class or trial advocacy course.

Standish

Postby Standish » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Work out now. You should go to early morning PT with everyone else, even if the boss tells you that you don't have to. It'll be a great opportunity to meet others and show them another aspect of yourself outside of the office. Work out now because you want to be able to keep up with your peers on a run or exercise. As a future JAG, physical readiness is just as important as your legal ability.

What should I expect for PT? I've read in the thread that it varies by office. In your experience, do the JAs all do PT together every day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Standish wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Work out now. You should go to early morning PT with everyone else, even if the boss tells you that you don't have to. It'll be a great opportunity to meet others and show them another aspect of yourself outside of the office. Work out now because you want to be able to keep up with your peers on a run or exercise. As a future JAG, physical readiness is just as important as your legal ability.

What should I expect for PT? I've read in the thread that it varies by office. In your experience, do the JAs all do PT together every day?

Running, lots of running and endurance. Some pushups.

JAs do tend to PT together in my experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:25 pm

.02 from prior enlisted soldier...

Until/Unless told otherwise, address every officer as Sir or Ma'am, address enlisted soldiers by their respective rank and last name.

Even if PT is not mandatory, you should show up day one looking like you could hang. Look the part.

SRyder105

Postby SRyder105 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Any AF December selects receive their MEPS date yet? I'm still anxiously awaiting mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Army internship:

Regarding PT with the group: It varies by office. My office was super laid back and didn't care much for PT. Interns who wanted to PT went out with some of the younger captains who worked out on their own. But a willingness to show up to just a few sessions they did organize (ie "Let's run around the golf course and call it PT") went a long way.

Addressing people by rank: It was not expected of interns to address everyone by rank. As long as you were respectful, that's all they expected from us. Then again, none of us were prior service. I personally did not walk around calling people "Major" because it felt weird, as I am not in the Army. When I spoke about a JA to another JA, I used their title. I think this is again office dependent, because my location was very relaxed. Actually, I did call the COLs by rank.

TL; DR: Get a feel for your office and adapt. They want a team member.

USAFHog

Postby USAFHog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:07 pm

SRyder105 wrote:Any AF December selects receive their MEPS date yet? I'm still anxiously awaiting mine.

Still nothing on my end either. I sent an email to the coordinator, but I haven't heard anything since then except for the email regarding the physical fitness standards.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TL; DR: Get a feel for your office and adapt. They want a team member.

Best all around advice for any interns or new accessions.

The only caveat I would throw onto this is to err on the side of formality if wading into unknown waters. I generally always start formal in any new situation (new office, dealing with a new commander, etc) until instructed otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:12 am

The waiting is killing me!! 2L Army summer JAG alternate.

Received a letter in the mail stating that they would begin reaching out to alternates on February 1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:46 am

AF selects, how long does it normally take before you can schedule your MEPS date?

SBlaw2013

Postby SBlaw2013 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:26 pm

This might be early, but I was picked up for Army JAG Reserves and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any tips for setting myself up as a reservist with the intention of applying to AD in the future (after a mobilization or if I'm lucky enough to get selected for deployment, but my understanding is a mob. is much more likely)? Just wondering if anyone on here has made that specific transition, and whether they have some tips.

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Any alternates for the 2L army summer internship get selected yet?

SRyder105

Postby SRyder105 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AF selects, how long does it normally take before you can schedule your MEPS date?

I've been working through that process currently. With any luck, my appointment will be sometime late next week, with a tentative starting date in late March.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:10 pm

SBlaw2013 wrote:This might be early, but I was picked up for Army JAG Reserves and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any tips for setting myself up as a reservist with the intention of applying to AD in the future (after a mobilization or if I'm lucky enough to get selected for deployment, but my understanding is a mob. is much more likely)? Just wondering if anyone on here has made that specific transition, and whether they have some tips.

Try to do a one-year mob at a big post with a lot of potential opportunities. I know someone who got picked up for AD, and he/she did a mob.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:13 pm

Anyone else apply to the Air Force GLP/OYCP? Apparently, the board is meeting this week. Hope to hear some good news from folks here in a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBlaw2013 wrote:This might be early, but I was picked up for Army JAG Reserves and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any tips for setting myself up as a reservist with the intention of applying to AD in the future (after a mobilization or if I'm lucky enough to get selected for deployment, but my understanding is a mob. is much more likely)? Just wondering if anyone on here has made that specific transition, and whether they have some tips.

Try to do a one-year mob at a big post with a lot of potential opportunities. I know someone who got picked up for AD, and he/she did a mob.

I was selected for Reserves in lieu of Active Duty last year but reapplied for this year's Active Duty. The interviewer told me that it is extremely hard to go from Reserves to Active Duty because the military already has you. Just food for thought.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Does anyone have information on the Army's loan repayment program for JAs? I'm looking for any details. All I know is it is 65k over a couple of years.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have information on the Army's loan repayment program for JAs? I'm looking for any details. All I know is it is 65k over a couple of years.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=loan+repayment+army+jag

Literally the first search result.

thedude6512

Postby thedude6512 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have information on the Army's loan repayment program for JAs? I'm looking for any details. All I know is it is 65k over a couple of years.

From the JAG website:

https://www.jagcnet2.army.mil/Sites/ppt ... 9800762995

SBlaw2013

Postby SBlaw2013 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was selected for Reserves in lieu of Active Duty last year but reapplied for this year's Active Duty. The interviewer told me that it is extremely hard to go from Reserves to Active Duty because the military already has you. Just food for thought.

I'm working for a reservist, and again, not an expert and this may not be reflective of the circumstances as a whole, but he told me that every reserve JAG that applied to go AD in his unit was picked up this fall for the Army; which is a big reason why I'm accepting the commission. It's definitely a gamble, but either way I'll be able to serve in some way if I can't go AD.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Has anyone on the Army active duty alternate list been selected? If so, how were you notified?

EastCoastBoat

Postby EastCoastBoat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else apply to the Air Force GLP/OYCP? Apparently, the board is meeting this week. Hope to hear some good news from folks here in a few weeks.

I applied for OYCP with Air Force JAG Corps as well. I'm hoping to hear back by March. A friend of mine was selected via Direct Appointment and heard back within 3-4 weeks. Apparently the interviewer calls with the good news. If you applied before Jan 31, the February board meets, so I think the March timeline works.

Let me know if you hear anything. It's hard to find other USAF JAG applicants in law school. All my friends are going Navy and Marine.

Return to “Legal Employment”