Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
afangel804
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby afangel804 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:55 am

LS123456 wrote:I apologize if I missed a timeline earlier in the thread. Is the following timeline correct before you are eligible to attend COT and JASOC following acceptance into the the Air Force DAP? (1) MEPS, (2) pass the bar, (3) get your security clearance, (4) get your commissioning papers and first base assignment?


My timeline was pass bar, MEPS, accept first base assignment, get commissioning papers, then clearance paperwork.

USAFHog
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby USAFHog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey everyone,

After being a two-time non-select for USAF JAG, I was selected during the December board. My SJA told me I would be getting a packet in the mail, but have been home for the holidays. Has anyone received their packet yet? If so, any info that is time sensitive in there?

Backload
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:40 pm

USAFHog wrote:Hey everyone,

After being a two-time non-select for USAF JAG, I was selected during the December board. My SJA told me I would be getting a packet in the mail, but have been home for the holidays. Has anyone received their packet yet? If so, any info that is time sensitive in there?


December select and I have not received a packet. My SJA said probably a week or so and with Christmas, it probably is a lot slower.

User avatar
orangeblossom
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby orangeblossom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:39 pm

The October selects got their packets emailed to them. It will probably be delayed a little because of the holidays though.

Also, as an October board select, I managed to get everything processed quickly enough that I will be going to the January COT class and the JASOC follow-on.

Backload
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:34 pm

orangeblossom wrote:The October selects got their packets emailed to them. It will probably be delayed a little because of the holidays though.

Also, as an October board select, I managed to get everything processed quickly enough that I will be going to the January COT class and the JASOC follow-on.


I am assuming you are an already licensed attorney?

This brings me to a question - I have searched and read pretty much the entirety of the posts, and have not found too much on the topic.

I know that bar admission results could factor into October COT or January COT. I am currently split between taking the bar in a state that has a 9 week result turnaround and one that is a 4 week turnaround. I do not really have any preference between the two states, but I would probably select the slower state, if this did not matter for COT.

Does anyone have any insight about this? Starting training/pay/career a few months earlier is a big factor to consider. Also, it is not guaranteed to go to October COT even if I pass the bar in a quick result state, correct?

User avatar
orangeblossom
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby orangeblossom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Backload wrote:
orangeblossom wrote:The October selects got their packets emailed to them. It will probably be delayed a little because of the holidays though.

Also, as an October board select, I managed to get everything processed quickly enough that I will be going to the January COT class and the JASOC follow-on.


I am assuming you are an already licensed attorney?

This brings me to a question - I have searched and read pretty much the entirety of the posts, and have not found too much on the topic.

I know that bar admission results could factor into October COT or January COT. I am currently split between taking the bar in a state that has a 9 week result turnaround and one that is a 4 week turnaround. I do not really have any preference between the two states, but I would probably select the slower state, if this did not matter for COT.

Does anyone have any insight about this? Starting training/pay/career a few months earlier is a big factor to consider. Also, it is not guaranteed to go to October COT even if I pass the bar in a quick result state, correct?


I am already licensed.

I would do the four week one just because you will be furious with your self (I certainly would be) when those results come out and you still have another five weeks to go. Regardless of the JAG implications, waiting for bar results is the worst.

User avatar
SRyder105
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby SRyder105 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 am

USAFHog wrote:Hey everyone,

After being a two-time non-select for USAF JAG, I was selected during the December board. My SJA told me I would be getting a packet in the mail, but have been home for the holidays. Has anyone received their packet yet? If so, any info that is time sensitive in there?



I spoke with JAX today. They said that you should expect it sometime after the new year. They also mentioned that as SOON as your packet arrives, schedule your visit to MEPS, especially if you want things to go quickly.

Anyhow, congratulations! Are you licensed yet?

paolomiguel
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:14 am

Re: Military Law

Postby paolomiguel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 am

Has anyone received official letters from the Army regarding AD selects? If not, does anyone know around when we should be getting them? Thanks.

Backload
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 am

paolomiguel wrote:Has anyone received official letters from the Army regarding AD selects? If not, does anyone know around when we should be getting them? Thanks.


They said sometime in the new year.

USAFHog
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby USAFHog » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:51 am

SRyder105 wrote:
USAFHog wrote:Hey everyone,

After being a two-time non-select for USAF JAG, I was selected during the December board. My SJA told me I would be getting a packet in the mail, but have been home for the holidays. Has anyone received their packet yet? If so, any info that is time sensitive in there?



I spoke with JAX today. They said that you should expect it sometime after the new year. They also mentioned that as SOON as your packet arrives, schedule your visit to MEPS, especially if you want things to go quickly.

Anyhow, congratulations! Are you licensed yet?


Thanks! Not licensed yet. I'm heading into my last semester. I'm actually going to be externing at a local AFB as I finish law school out. I imagine the earliest I could goto COT will be in October. Any insight into MEPS other than being an all day affair of having to hurry up and wait? Are you licensed yet?

User avatar
SRyder105
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby SRyder105 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:14 pm

USAFHog wrote:
SRyder105 wrote:
USAFHog wrote:Hey everyone,

After being a two-time non-select for USAF JAG, I was selected during the December board. My SJA told me I would be getting a packet in the mail, but have been home for the holidays. Has anyone received their packet yet? If so, any info that is time sensitive in there?



I spoke with JAX today. They said that you should expect it sometime after the new year. They also mentioned that as SOON as your packet arrives, schedule your visit to MEPS, especially if you want things to go quickly.

Anyhow, congratulations! Are you licensed yet?


Thanks! Not licensed yet. I'm heading into my last semester. I'm actually going to be externing at a local AFB as I finish law school out. I imagine the earliest I could goto COT will be in October. Any insight into MEPS other than being an all day affair of having to hurry up and wait? Are you licensed yet?


I e-mailed you to avoid clogging up the forum with this stuff.

Question for any new AF selects: have you received your packet yet? Hopefully we might receive them sometime this week?

sprklingtea
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby sprklingtea » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Nope, I haven't received my packet yet. My SJA said that we wouldn't get them until after January 4. I believe the person who sends them out from JAX was off all last week. :) I expect we will receive something mid to late next week...

User avatar
SRyder105
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby SRyder105 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:30 pm

AF December Selects: Check your e-mails! Packets have arrived!

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Military Law

Postby bsktbll28082 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Army JAG selects: check your mail for a Statement of Intent letter. Mailed last week.

Standish
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Standish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:42 am

I just found out that I was accepted for the Army 2L internship. I'm really excited! I have a few questions.

I know all JAG positions are extremely selective, but how much does the internship improve my chances of direct commissioning after I pass the bar? If I get good recommendations from the Judge Advocates I work with this summer, would I probably be accepted after graduation, or are there still too many factors to be able to say?

This semester I'm taking mostly business law classes, as I was trying to increase my ability to get JD advantage jobs if I didn't get hired by a firm eventually. I understand that Army JAG has a significant litigation focus. Would it be a good idea to change my schedule for this semester to include more litigation classes?

Are there any bases that specialize in certain practice areas? Any advice on how to choose from the list of bases they provide?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:01 am

Hi all,

I'm a 1L, non trad (almost 33 y/o) from a t10 school. Posting annonymously just in case I get laughed out of town. No prior service. I've been seriously considering entering the service after graduation. It's something I've always wanted very badly to do, particularly post-9/11, but life kept getting in the way and I wanted to make sure everything was "just right" first.

Now I'll be 35 when I get that JD, and prospectively 36 before I pass the Bar. I realize that's too late for JAG/OCS, and my grades are only median - not terribly competitive. I have no major connections, no in-demand skills (beyond the eventual JD) or languages, and no great references to speak of - pretty literally just an averge but hard-working schmuck. The good news: No major medical, other than being out of shape due to years of slacking (addressing this now). And, I'll have only modest loan debt due to a very generous scholarship.

Does anybody have any resources or tips of any kind? Literally anything at all would be welcome. I don't have any terrible burning desire to join any particular branch.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I'm a 1L, non trad (almost 33 y/o) from a t10 school. Posting annonymously just in case I get laughed out of town. No prior service. I've been seriously considering entering the service after graduation. It's something I've always wanted very badly to do, particularly post-9/11, but life kept getting in the way and I wanted to make sure everything was "just right" first.

Now I'll be 35 when I get that JD, and prospectively 36 before I pass the Bar. I realize that's too late for JAG/OCS, and my grades are only median - not terribly competitive. I have no major connections, no in-demand skills (beyond the eventual JD) or languages, and no great references to speak of - pretty literally just an averge but hard-working schmuck. The good news: No major medical, other than being out of shape due to years of slacking (addressing this now). And, I'll have only modest loan debt due to a very generous scholarship.

Does anybody have any resources or tips of any kind? Literally anything at all would be welcome. I don't have any terrible burning desire to join any particular branch.

Thanks in advance.


In respect to your age, you should still be eligible to serve as an Army JAG - my understanding is that their cut off is 42:

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/ ... orney.html

If you were able to get into a T-10 law school, I would not be so negative in light of your accomplishments - you clearly have done something right. All the things you should be doing to make yourself more competitive for JAG are discussed throughout all of this thread - if this is something you truly want to do, there is no reason why you should not pursue it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:In respect to your age, you should still be eligible to serve as an Army JAG - my understanding is that their cut off is 42:

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/ ... orney.html

If you were able to get into a T-10 law school, I would not be so negative in light of your accomplishments - you clearly have done something right. All the things you should be doing to make yourself more competitive for JAG are discussed throughout all of this thread - if this is something you truly want to do, there is no reason why you should not pursue it.

Thanks Patrick. I'll read through the thread. I've actually read a lot of threads, but found it difficult to identify much in the way of coherent/universal themes, just because everybody has a different situation. I'll probably try to find an actual JAG recruiter to chat with, too.

Exciting stuff. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Standish wrote:I just found out that I was accepted for the Army 2L internship. I'm really excited! I have a few questions.

I know all JAG positions are extremely selective, but how much does the internship improve my chances of direct commissioning after I pass the bar? If I get good recommendations from the Judge Advocates I work with this summer, would I probably be accepted after graduation, or are there still too many factors to be able to say?

This semester I'm taking mostly business law classes, as I was trying to increase my ability to get JD advantage jobs if I didn't get hired by a firm eventually. I understand that Army JAG has a significant litigation focus. Would it be a good idea to change my schedule for this semester to include more litigation classes?

Are there any bases that specialize in certain practice areas? Any advice on how to choose from the list of bases they provide?


I can answer these questions but only from an Air Force perspective. If there is interest, I can chime in with my two cents, but I'll defer to the Army folks out there to give the service specific advice.

User avatar
skylaws
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby skylaws » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I'm a 1L, non trad (almost 33 y/o) from a t10 school. Posting annonymously just in case I get laughed out of town. No prior service. I've been seriously considering entering the service after graduation. It's something I've always wanted very badly to do, particularly post-9/11, but life kept getting in the way and I wanted to make sure everything was "just right" first.

Now I'll be 35 when I get that JD, and prospectively 36 before I pass the Bar. I realize that's too late for JAG/OCS, and my grades are only median - not terribly competitive. I have no major connections, no in-demand skills (beyond the eventual JD) or languages, and no great references to speak of - pretty literally just an averge but hard-working schmuck. The good news: No major medical, other than being out of shape due to years of slacking (addressing this now). And, I'll have only modest loan debt due to a very generous scholarship.

Does anybody have any resources or tips of any kind? Literally anything at all would be welcome. I don't have any terrible burning desire to join any particular branch.

Thanks in advance.


Navy also appears to have an age cutoff of 42, so you'd be just fine to apply to them as well. http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/career ... es_sp.html. Since you're a 1L, you have time to make connections and find references via intern/externships, so don't sweat not having those already.

Good luck!

Standish
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Standish » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:17 pm

I can answer these questions but only from an Air Force perspective. If there is interest, I can chime in with my two cents, but I'll defer to the Army folks out there to give the service specific advice.


I would be interested to hear your Air Force perspective.
Last edited by Standish on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Oh, sorry, to be clear - I meant too old in the sense that being non-trad might be something of a liability in terms of candidacy.

Gonna read the whole thread tonight and make a plan of action over the weekend. Thanks gents. :mrgreen:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Same boat as Standish, recently accepted into Army 2L Summer Internship Program, wondering how much of an impact this opportunity has my eventual application for a commission. Would welcome feedback from all branches.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4110
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh, sorry, to be clear - I meant too old in the sense that being non-trad might be something of a liability in terms of candidacy.

Gonna read the whole thread tonight and make a plan of action over the weekend. Thanks gents. :mrgreen:


Assuming you spent the time between undergrad and law school doing something besides playing xbox in mom's basement, I think it's more of an asset than a liability

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Standish wrote:I just found out that I was accepted for the Army 2L internship. I'm really excited! I have a few questions.

I know all JAG positions are extremely selective, but how much does the internship improve my chances of direct commissioning after I pass the bar? If I get good recommendations from the Judge Advocates I work with this summer, would I probably be accepted after graduation, or are there still too many factors to be able to say?

This semester I'm taking mostly business law classes, as I was trying to increase my ability to get JD advantage jobs if I didn't get hired by a firm eventually. I understand that Army JAG has a significant litigation focus. Would it be a good idea to change my schedule for this semester to include more litigation classes?

Are there any bases that specialize in certain practice areas? Any advice on how to choose from the list of bases they provide?


My USAF two cents:

The internship can be a critical asset to earning a selection for direct appointment. The office will get 8-12 weeks to observe you and determine if you have the variables that can make a good officer. Most folks only have the hour long interview to sell this - that is why the internship can be such a huge advantage. An SJA recommendation that states that after 2-3 months with you, they think you have what it takes and they would be willing to have you as a first assignment in their office - that goes a long way.

That all presupposes you do a really good job with the internship. You can just as easily blow it. A good internship is also no guarantee - there are interns that had a good summer and still did not get picked up. That said, if the other variables in your resume are solid, a good summer will put you in a stronger spot.

When I interviewed back in the day, the SJA went through my transcript and specifically asked about my criminal and litigation type classes - evidence, crim pro, white collar crime, etc, etc. Same goes for mock trial and moot court. And now that I have been in the courtroom in some capacity for over six years now, those courses are always a good idea. That said, it is not like my entire transcript was 100% criminal or advocacy related - I just worked in the interesting electives when I could.

For the Air Force, bases absolutely specialize in certain practice areas due to the missions that they support. I have posted on this subject extensively for anyone looking to know more.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.