Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SBlaw2013

Re: Military Law

Postby SBlaw2013 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:49 am

It's a no for me for the Army. Congrats to everyone selected! A huge board this year!

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:00 pm

I was selected as an Alternate for the Army. I've combed through these pages and found a couple of alternates from the past. I know that last year ALL of the alternates were selected.

Do any previous alternates have a timeline or any info to pass on? From what I found in previous pages, one alternate was picked up in May, and another in late summer. I know there's a merit list that they go off when openings come up.

Any info would be great!

SRyder105

Postby SRyder105 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Checked the Army list this morning. Non-select for Army.

Literally 2-3 minutes later, I get a call from my SJA. SELECTED FOR THE AIR FORCE!!!
And for all selected for the Army and Air Force, a big congratulations!!

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Got chosen as an alternate for active duty Army. Anyone got any idea as to what chances an alternate has of getting picked up for AD? Pretty bummed, but oddly optimistic.

hennenr

Postby hennenr » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Have not heard from the Air Force yet so I am assuming I was not selected. Congrats to those who were selected.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm

SRyder105 wrote:Checked the Army list this morning. Non-select for Army.

Literally 2-3 minutes later, I get a call from my SJA. SELECTED FOR THE AIR FORCE!!!
And for all selected for the Army and Air Force, a big congratulations!!

That's awesome!

perpetualnonselect

Postby perpetualnonselect » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Army AD non-select. This was my sixth application, every board since 2011. Silver lining that as a long term aspirant, I've gotten into great shape and given a lot more back to the world. Living the "whole person" concept has improved my life irrespective of never being chosen.

Congrats to all those (and there were many) chosen!
Last edited by perpetualnonselect on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Wow. You have an incredible resume. Unless the selectees are curing cancer between classes, you definitely seem to have what they're looking for. My only guess is that you exceed the height/weight standard per AR 600-9 by 25+ pounds although you might still meet the body composition standards. Of course, it's unlikely an interviewer would know all that about you.

btw, congrats on all the selectees. Internship reject for me.

sprklingtea

Postby sprklingtea » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker for the past few months as well; this forum has been exceptionally helpful. I was just selected for Air Force JAG as a practicing attorney (4th year attorney, 1st selection board)--congrats to all those selected! I look forward to meeting you.

SRyder, congrats as well!! I have been following your posts and hoped that you might get in as another practicing attorney. :D I'd love to chat once we start getting more paperwork, etc. as I imagine we would follow a similar timeline.

EasternAndSunset

Postby EasternAndSunset » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Got placed on the Army AD alternate list as well.

Backload

Postby Backload » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Received selections from the Air Force and Army today!!!!

SRyder105

Postby SRyder105 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Backload wrote:Received selections from the Air Force and Army today!!!!

Congratulations! What an honor! Which will you choose?

sprklingtea

Postby sprklingtea » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Congrats, Backload! I'm sure SRyder, Bateman and I can hint at which branch you should choose... :wink:

Backload

Postby Backload » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:01 pm

SRyder105 wrote:

Congratulations! What an honor! Which will you choose?

I have no idea. Does anyone have insights on how to choose?

Also congrats to everyone selected.

keong678

Postby keong678 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Alternate for 2L summer internship for Army Jag.. anybody know chances of being selected?

Damn

paolomiguel

Postby paolomiguel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Congrats Backload! I would personally recommend AF so you can free up some more room for us Army AD alternates hehe. lol

So anyways, I was reading on some past posts that those who are selected as alternates for AD are given slots in the Reserves. Can anyone confirm this? Cause if so, thatd turn my frown not totally upside down, but at least to a moderate grin. lol.

SRyder105

Postby SRyder105 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:47 am

paolomiguel wrote:

Congrats Backload! I would personally recommend AF so you can free up some more room for us Army AD alternates hehe. lol

So anyways, I was reading on some past posts that those who are selected as alternates for AD are given slots in the Reserves. Can anyone confirm this? Cause if so, thatd turn my frown not totally upside down, but at least to a moderate grin. lol.

I second paolomiguel! Take the AF!

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Backload: I'd consider the different practice areas for JAG. I like Army because you can do more than courtroom since they're the largest branch. Not sure where the Air Force has their focus. Also, base locations. Initial JAG training for Air Force is in the middle of nowhere, Army is Charlottesville. They both have loan repayment programs I believe. My research indicates the Air Force focuses less on the physical aspect of being an officer.

Paolo: While I cannot confirm you get a slot in the reserves, I assume you would find out in January when the packets are sent out. I heard a rumor you may prequalify if you are selected as an alternate. Also, you might be able to backdoor your way into active duty.

*I'm not active duty, this is just information I've compiled*

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:56 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:Backload: I'd consider the different practice areas for JAG. I like Army because you can do more than courtroom since they're the largest branch. Not sure where the Air Force has their focus. Also, base locations. Initial JAG training for Air Force is in the middle of nowhere, Army is Charlottesville. They both have loan repayment programs I believe. My research indicates the Air Force focuses less on the physical aspect of being an officer.

Notwithstanding your disclaimer there, it does not look like you really understand the branch differences at a level that will contribute to Backload making an educated decision. Respectfully, offering advice that sounds like you overheard it from a boot LT or a new selectee helps no one.

Equating the Army's size to military justice opportunities is some pretty loose logic. Much like the Air Force, it is wholly dependent on your assignment - I've worked with Army JAGs that have tons of military justice experience and those with almost none. The Army and the Air Force have distinct methods in which they staff first assignment JAGs. I've posted extensively on what your first 3-4 years can look like as an Air Force JAG. There are some experienced Army types that post that can provide more detail on what their first few years were like.

Air Force Officer and JAG training is at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, AL. There is no question Charlottesville is a better town. JAG Training is also just a few months - basing a branch decision solely on that on that would be really short sighted.

Backload - I would spend a while digging through all the posts on this thread. It will take a while but you'll learn from posters with time in all the different branches. If you have specific AF questions, there are a number of us that contribute to the thread that can help. Good luck.

Ranger85

Postby Ranger85 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Every Alternate I've ever known for the Internship or Active Duty was eventually selected. Also for those who weren't selected for AD I just made it on my 3rd try so don't give up and keep trying to improve your resume. Join the Reserves and volunteer. Try to do things that will make you seem more well rounded.

CaseClosed

Postby CaseClosed » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Anyone apply to AF Reserve and still waiting to hear back?

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:Backload: I'd consider the different practice areas for JAG. I like Army because you can do more than courtroom since they're the largest branch. Not sure where the Air Force has their focus. Also, base locations. Initial JAG training for Air Force is in the middle of nowhere, Army is Charlottesville. They both have loan repayment programs I believe. My research indicates the Air Force focuses less on the physical aspect of being an officer.

Notwithstanding your disclaimer there, it does not look like you really understand the branch differences at a level that will contribute to Backload making an educated decision. Respectfully, offering advice that sounds like you overheard it from a boot LT or a new selectee helps no one.

Equating the Army's size to military justice opportunities is some pretty loose logic. Much like the Air Force, it is wholly dependent on your assignment - I've worked with Army JAGs that have tons of military justice experience and those with almost none. The Army and the Air Force have distinct methods in which they staff first assignment JAGs. I've posted extensively on what your first 3-4 years can look like as an Air Force JAG. There are some experienced Army types that post that can provide more detail on what their first few years were like.

Air Force Officer and JAG training is at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, AL. There is no question Charlottesville is a better town. JAG Training is also just a few months - basing a branch decision solely on that on that would be really short sighted.

Backload - I would spend a while digging through all the posts on this thread. It will take a while but you'll learn from posters with time in all the different branches. If you have specific AF questions, there are a number of us that contribute to the thread that can help. Good luck.

I'd agree with Patrick Bateman on this too bsktbll28082.

Nothing indicates the Army by merit of it being the largest service by numbers would give you a smaller percentage of courtroom time. So many factors would go into this, most of which not having to do with the size of the branch. Your command & base, your expressed preferences, and a lot of other things will decide how much time you spend in the courtroom. You'll be doing a lot outside the courtroom in any-branch.

Also, selecting to apply to a particular branch based off of where you'll be training for 10 weeks or so is irrelevant and short-sighted. You're there only for a few months. You don't move there permanently. You should apply to a service because you want to serve in that branch, not because their 10-week JAG-training is in a cooler place (imo the Navy/Marine/Coast Goard Naval Justice School in Newport, RI might be best location-wise for JAG school, not that it matters) Look at base locations for initial JAG tours to help you decide which branch has better base-locations.

Also AF officers are still officers through-and-through and expected to maintain fitness and pass PFTs like any other officer. I do know Army JAGs can earn opportunities for other military-specific schools though (Airborne, etc.) if that's what you meant by the "physical aspect." Otherwise, I'm unsure what that meant.

thedude6512

Postby thedude6512 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Ranger85 wrote:Every Alternate I've ever known for the Internship or Active Duty was eventually selected. Also for those who weren't selected for AD I just made it on my 3rd try so don't give up and keep trying to improve your resume. Join the Reserves and volunteer. Try to do things that will make you seem more well rounded.

I'll echo ranger. If you really want it, don't give up just because the selection board didn't go your way this time. This is my third time applying, as well, and I finally got selected. The first time I applied, I was a ROTC cadet in law school. I applied again once I commissioned and got shut down. This time I was coming into the board with a couple of years of military experience and had passed the bar already.

Mind you, my law school grades were very middle of the road, so I'm sure being a current service member and having good military references helped a lot. If the military is something you really have your sights on, consider serving a couple of years in the Guard or Reserves (or even active duty if you don't mind postponing your legal career) to show commitment and set yourself apart. I've been an AD engineer officer since I graduated law school, and it has honestly been a great experience (and probably better than a lot of legal jobs out there).

LS123456

Postby LS123456 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:05 am

I apologize if I missed a timeline earlier in the thread. Is the following timeline correct before you are eligible to attend COT and JASOC following acceptance into the the Air Force DAP? (1) MEPS, (2) pass the bar, (3) get your security clearance, (4) get your commissioning papers and first base assignment?

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:26 am

Shinto & Bateman: things I'll consider, thank you

Return to “Legal Employment”