Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hennenr

Re: Military Law

Postby hennenr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:59 am

I emailed the Air Force and they told me to apply and then request a deferment. Shouldn't be too difficult to explain how a clerkship would help you in the JAG.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:45 pm

I am applying to both ARMY and AF Jag internships for this coming summer. I have the opportunity to spend my summer in the middle east (Isreal) working for a civil rights firm that sues corporations that support terrorism, defend Isreal and their soldier in the ICC, and other hot button topics. I contacted my ARMY interviewer to see if this would cause any security clearance issues (she believed it would not.) but I wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause any concerns for the ARMY or AF as to my loyalty (I am not jewish and have never been to isreal before). Also, whether this would be advantageous to my Jag application.

My resume has prosecutor work (state ag) & government work but no military experience.

Thank you for the input.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:19 am

So is it safe to say that the board has met?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am applying to both ARMY and AF Jag internships for this coming summer. I have the opportunity to spend my summer in the middle east (Isreal) working for a civil rights firm that sues corporations that support terrorism, defend Isreal and their soldier in the ICC, and other hot button topics. I contacted my ARMY interviewer to see if this would cause any security clearance issues (she believed it would not.) but I wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause any concerns for the ARMY or AF as to my loyalty (I am not jewish and have never been to isreal before). Also, whether this would be advantageous to my Jag application.

My resume has prosecutor work (state ag) & government work but no military experience.

Thank you for the input.

I'm not sure about working in "Isreal" but Israel should not pose a problem as long as you disclose all of your travel and are ready to speak about it. You can review an SF-86 to see what questions get asked.

Also, not clear why Army is in all caps while JAG is not.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Well I just confirmed that the October Board has met. We are now playing the wait game. I have heard two semi consistent answers as to when results we will revealed. One response is that we should know by November 10th as we need time to apply for the December Board. The other response is that we should know 30-60 days from October 1st. Before November 10th is within that window.

Also, although I am only speculating (using the dates on the application website as a basis) I am thinking that the board met on October 13th.

Since waiting is the only thing that we can do at this point I took the liberty of looking through this discussion board for the decision release dates from prior years. Here is what I found:

October 2014 Board: November 7th
October 2013 Board: November 19th
October 2012 Board: October 24th
October 2011 Board: October 14th

Obviously these dates mean almost nothing as the results could be released at anytime. However, it is at least something to discuss while we wait.

fhqwhgads

Postby fhqwhgads » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 pm

harp2458 wrote:Since waiting is the only thing that we can do at this point

You said it yourself. Relax! All of this speculation is only going to make the waiting worse. It looks like the Air Force JAG Recruiting page on Facebook announces when calls will be going out to selected applicants each cycle.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:It may be just me getting old and crusty but I feel the quality of the questions on this forum have gone down hill since this anonymous posting has been allowed. At the risk of making this like the sometimes hysterical "read the FAQ!" responses on my favorite Reddit pages, new folks need to read through all the previous posts. Yes, it will take a while. You will also go through years of collective wisdom and experience from a variety of different posters.

For god's sake, this.

I credit this thread with helping me get into the AF. At least do a brief review of the thread and google stuff before you ask questions on here.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:20 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:It may be just me getting old and crusty but I feel the quality of the questions on this forum have gone down hill since this anonymous posting has been allowed. At the risk of making this like the sometimes hysterical "read the FAQ!" responses on my favorite Reddit pages, new folks need to read through all the previous posts. Yes, it will take a while. You will also go through years of collective wisdom and experience from a variety of different posters.

For god's sake, this.

I credit this thread with helping me get into the AF. At least do a brief review of the thread and google stuff before you ask questions on here.

What is this in response to?

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:30 pm

harp2458 wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:

For god's sake, this.

What is this in response to?

3 pages back...

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am applying to both ARMY and AF Jag internships for this coming summer. I have the opportunity to spend my summer in the middle east (Isreal) working for a civil rights firm that sues corporations that support terrorism, defend Isreal and their soldier in the ICC, and other hot button topics. I contacted my ARMY interviewer to see if this would cause any security clearance issues (she believed it would not.) but I wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause any concerns for the ARMY or AF as to my loyalty (I am not jewish and have never been to isreal before). Also, whether this would be advantageous to my Jag application.

Thank you for the input.

I'm not sure about working in "Isreal" but Israel should not pose a problem as long as you disclose all of your travel and are ready to speak about it. You can review an SF-86 to see what questions get asked.

Also, not clear why Army is in all caps while JAG is not.

Snap. lol

Backload

Postby Backload » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Did the people waiting for the AF announcements apply to other branches as well?

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Backload wrote:Did the people waiting for the AF announcements apply to other branches as well?

I am sure many people did. I almost applied to the Army but decided not to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:48 pm

harp2458 wrote:
Backload wrote:Did the people waiting for the AF announcements apply to other branches as well?

I am sure many people did. I almost applied to the Army but decided not to.

I have applied to the Army, Navy, and Air Force (also interviewed with the Marines). I told all my interviewers that I was applying to each branch. They all seemed to think that is a good idea.

How come only the AF?

fhqwhgads

Postby fhqwhgads » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:07 pm

I applied to both the Air Force and the Navy this fall. I am a 3L who has done a summer internship with the Navy and an Air Force externship over the course of the past year. If anyone has any questions for me or about those experiences feel free to message me.

Backload

Postby Backload » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 pm

I applied to all.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:05 pm

fhqwhgads wrote:

I applied to both the Air Force and the Navy this fall. I am a 3L who has done a summer internship with the Navy and an Air Force externship over the course of the past year. If anyone has any questions for me or about those experiences feel free to message me.

Well to be honest, I applied to the JAG internship programs while I was in law school. I also applied for Active Duty Army JAG in 2013 and was not selected. I have since gotten an LL.M and have been an Assistant District Attorney. I have tried over 40 cases. At this point, If the Air Force does not take me I'm done. I have too many other opportunities.

Although I truly want to serve, I have realized that there is a point where I just have to let it go. I felt differently when I was a law student with no job. Now that I have a job (just got a promotion), with a retirement pension, I look at things differently.

I am trying to stay positive about being selected but it is extremely frustrating. I literally delayed applying to JAG for two years, got another degree, and actual trial experience.

This waiting game we all have to play is so frustrating :x

Backload

Postby Backload » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:52 pm

harp2458 wrote:
fhqwhgads wrote:

Well to be honest, I applied to the JAG internship programs while I was in law school. I also applied for Active Duty Army JAG in 2013 and was not selected. I have since gotten an LL.M and have been an Assistant District Attorney. I have tried over 40 cases. At this point, If the Air Force does not take me I'm done. I have too many other opportunities.

Although I truly want to serve, I have realized that there is a point where I just have to let it go. I felt differently when I was a law student with no job. Now that I have a job (just got a promotion), with a retirement pension, I look at things differently.

I am trying to stay positive about being selected but it is extremely frustrating. I literally delayed applying to JAG for two years, got another degree, and actual trial experience.

This waiting game we all have to play is so frustrating :x

Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you; I hope you are accepted to this board. And I know the waiting game is killing us all.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Does anyone know if the spring 2016 AF JAG Externship Board is the same Board that makes the Active Duty recommendations?

orangeblossom

Postby orangeblossom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Also waiting for AF October Board results. I am a licensed attorney and prior service.

I am burning my anxious energy trying to max my PT score.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:13 pm

orangeblossom wrote:Also waiting for AF October Board results. I am a licensed attorney and prior service.

I am burning my anxious energy trying to max my PT score.

When did you get licensed? How many years did you serve?

Assuming you are selected, how likely do you think it is you will get sent to the January 11th COT?

fhqwhgads

Postby fhqwhgads » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:26 pm

I have a feeling that with the paperwork turnaround time + considering all the fun that can happen getting through MEPS, it would be unlikely anyone selected during this board would make it to the January COT. But I could be wrong. :D

orangeblossom

Postby orangeblossom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:56 pm

I have been licensed for a year now, and have been clerking in a state trial court since taking the bar exam last July. I served four years enlisted before law school.

I am actually hoping to be able to ship out for that class date so that I can pick up for JASOC right away. I would rather avoid Alabama in the summer if I can.

I don't have any medical issues and I didn't have any waivers the first time through so I am hoping to get to MEPS as quickly as possible. MEPS is really straight forward once you get there. The issues arise when you have to provide paperwork for prior injuries or illnesses. I would recommend getting your paperwork together on any known issues now so that you don't feel rushed later.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:54 pm

orangeblossom wrote:I have been licensed for a year now, and have been clerking in a state trial court since taking the bar exam last July. I served four years enlisted before law school.

I am actually hoping to be able to ship out for that class date so that I can pick up for JASOC right away. I would rather avoid Alabama in the summer if I can.

I don't have any medical issues and I didn't have any waivers the first time through so I am hoping to get to MEPS as quickly as possible. MEPS is really straight forward once you get there. The issues arise when you have to provide paperwork for prior injuries or illnesses. I would recommend getting your paperwork together on any known issues now so that you don't feel rushed later.

I would only feel rushed if I was in fact selected lol. But I agree that it would be a good idea to have everything ready. I am hoping we hear back on or before the 26th of this month. The Facebook JAG page said that they are going to start accepting applications for the Spring Semester Externship Program on that date. I am speculating but, assuming the same Board that selects us makes the Extern decision, I would think they would post the results of one Board before starting another.

However, it is more likely that there are multiple Boards.

harp2458

Postby harp2458 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Does anyone know if there is a March COT? If not, I am thinking the next one would be around the June time-frame.

orangeblossom

Postby orangeblossom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Optimism is always nice :)

I don't think that the externship applications have any impact on the release of the list because their deadline is November 6. I would think that Board would have already convened by then and any additional delay would probably be from waiting for TJAG to sign off on the list.

Since there were 6 COT classes between October 2014 and September 2015, it seems likely that there would be one before summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”