Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
atsok79

Re: Military Law

Postby atsok79 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Anyone here anything from the Air Force, how do they release results.

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:24 pm

atsok79 wrote:Anyone here anything from the Air Force, how do they release results.

Air Force Results are emailed out. Last Board, my email showed up in my G-mail spam folder and I didn't see it until I was on the phone with JAX. I haven't heard anything back yet. Also, my results are still "pending" for the Navy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Rambo152 wrote:
atsok79 wrote:Anyone here anything from the Air Force, how do they release results.

Air Force Results are emailed out. Last Board, my email showed up in my G-mail spam folder and I didn't see it until I was on the phone with JAX. I haven't heard anything back yet. Also, my results are still "pending" for the Navy.

I think it's not a good sign we're still pending for Navy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Rambo152 wrote:

I think it's not a good sign we're still pending for Navy.

It's official! Not PR'd.

Congrats to those who got it!

rtb2008x

Postby rtb2008x » Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 pm

I thought we could expect a phone call if accepted ?

sheboygan!

Postby sheboygan! » Sat May 02, 2015 10:45 am

I've been combing through the thread, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Incoming 1L who's beginning to plan for the AF GLP application process this fall:

Do I have to interview with the SJA at the geographically closest base, or can I opt to interview with any available SJA?
Last edited by sheboygan! on Sat May 02, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:Most base level AF JAGs are also Special AUSAs in the Fed District their base occupies. I can see that lending itself to getting a leg up as a future AUSA in that area, one that might have been unlikely otherwise.

Bumping an old post, but can anyone elaborate on this?

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Sat May 02, 2015 12:10 pm

sheboygan! wrote:I've been combing through the thread, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Incoming 1L who's beginning to plan for the AF GLP application process this fall:

Do I have to interview with the SJA at the geographically closest base, or can I opt to interview with any available SJA?

You should be able to interview at any available SJA. I know some people who interviewed over winter break with SJA's closer to their homes, instead of at the base closest to school.

rtb2008x

Postby rtb2008x » Sat May 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Anyone have AF board results yet?

drb06g

Postby drb06g » Sat May 02, 2015 2:58 pm

rtb2008x wrote:Anyone have AF board results yet?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard anything yet. The notices of non-selection show up in email form so maybe they are still making calls to those who have been selected? Hopefully we'll all know where we stand by early next week. Good luck to all who have applied!

Sportsmania902

Postby Sportsmania902 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:07 pm

rtb2008x wrote:Anyone have AF board results yet?

I haven't heard anything yet either. I've read that they release the results 30-60 days after the Board meets. So, assuming the Board met in early April, it would be about 30 days at this point. I'm thinking they should start calling those who have been accepted early next week. Good luck everyone!

sheboygan!

Postby sheboygan! » Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 pm

skylaws wrote:
sheboygan! wrote:I've been combing through the thread, but I can't seem to find an answer.

You should be able to interview at any available SJA. I know some people who interviewed over winter break with SJA's closer to their homes, instead of at the base closest to school.

Great to hear, thank you!

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat May 02, 2015 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:Most base level AF JAGs are also Special AUSAs in the Fed District their base occupies. I can see that lending itself to getting a leg up as a future AUSA in that area, one that might have been unlikely otherwise.

Yes I can.

First of all, this isn't specific to AF Jags, most Jags across all branches are also Special Assistant U.S. Attorney's, the special part essentially denotes there is no pay for being an AUSA, you are for all intents and purposes a volunteer.

The reason why Jags are also often SAUSA's is because civilians commit crimes on base too, not just military members. The civilians can't be tried by court-martial, so they are tried by the feds. Instead of typical AUSA'a doing the prosecution, the Jag from that base, who is also a SAUSA, goes to the federal court house and tries the civilian.

The reasoning, as explained to me, is that it is easier on the AUSA's for Jags to take care of crimes that occur on base, and also there might be some jurisdictional issues because I believe military bases are considered sovereign?? Can't guarantee the reasoning either way.

Regardless of the reasoning, it is a fact that many active duty Jags in the AF and at least the Navy for sure are also SAUSA's for the purpose of prosecuting civilians in federal court who commit criminal offenses aboard military installations.

I am sure being a former Jag and/or SAUSA will give you a substantial opportunity to be a AUSA once you get off of active duty.

Disclaimer: I am not a Jag or an expert, so if I have misspoke it was not intentional and if you know better please correct me.

howell

Postby howell » Sun May 03, 2015 4:49 am

S. Goodman wrote:
The reasoning, as explained to me, is that it is easier on the AUSA's for Jags to take care of crimes that occur on base, and also there might be some jurisdictional issues because I believe military bases are considered sovereign?? Can't guarantee the reasoning either way.

I don't know why this was originally started, but my guess is that it allows AUSAs not to have to deal with lower level crimes while giving good experience to young JAGs. If a civilian commits a serious crime on base, it's much more likely an AUSA would take over. We have had that happen a few times. There's no reason a JAG has to do it that I am aware of.

It's not guaranteed you'll get an opportunity for this, but there's a good chance. I missed out, because the local AUSA only gives our base so many slots. Timing didn't work out for me to get be a SAUSA, but a couple other JAGs in the office did get a chance.

Certainly it is good experience for future AUSA possibilities, but it's not the highest level stuff either. You might show up to court, say 10 words, and go home, depending on what's going on.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun May 03, 2015 11:39 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes I can.

First of all, this isn't specific to AF Jags, most Jags across all branches are also Special Assistant U.S. Attorney's, the special part essentially denotes there is no pay for being an AUSA, you are for all intents and purposes a volunteer.

The reason why Jags are also often SAUSA's is because civilians commit crimes on base too, not just military members. The civilians can't be tried by court-martial, so they are tried by the feds. Instead of typical AUSA'a doing the prosecution, the Jag from that base, who is also a SAUSA, goes to the federal court house and tries the civilian.

Regardless of the reasoning, it is a fact that many active duty Jags in the AF and at least the Navy for sure are also SAUSA's for the purpose of prosecuting civilians in federal court who commit criminal offenses aboard military installations.

I am sure being a former Jag and/or SAUSA will give you a substantial opportunity to be a AUSA once you get off of active duty.

Disclaimer: I am not a Jag or an expert, so if I have misspoke it was not intentional and if you know better please correct me.

howell wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

I don't know why this was originally started, but my guess is that it allows AUSAs not to have to deal with lower level crimes while giving good experience to young JAGs. If a civilian commits a serious crime on base, it's much more likely an AUSA would take over. We have had that happen a few times. There's no reason a JAG has to do it that I am aware of.

It's not guaranteed you'll get an opportunity for this, but there's a good chance. I missed out, because the local AUSA only gives our base so many slots. Timing didn't work out for me to get be a SAUSA, but a couple other JAGs in the office did get a chance.

Certainly it is good experience for future AUSA possibilities, but it's not the highest level stuff either. You might show up to court, say 10 words, and go home, depending on what's going on.

I was the original anon [accidentally]. Thanks to you both. This is definitely something that sweetens the deal for me. I'm at a firm now but I'm considering applying for JAG because (a) I want to serve; and (b) I want to be in the courtroom. I think I can put together a decent app, but I was K-JD and I'm going to have trouble getting LORs that are worth anything. I'd really like Navy for myriad reasons, but seems like that's virtually impossible.

Now back to reading the first 100 pages or so of this thread...

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 am

PR'd for Air Force. Got a call from SJA a few minutes ago. East coast, interviewed at MacDill. Good luck to those still waiting!

atsok79

Postby atsok79 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 am

AF DAP results are out according to their facebook site. Expect phone calls today. Got mine, I'm in. So excited!!

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:51 am

Rejected by the Air Force... again. This makes me 0-5 with the AF and 0-1 with the Navy.
I graduated law school in December and was recently admitted to practice. My enlistment in the AF Reserve is ending soon, so I think I'll get out to spend some time focusing on my civilian career before giving it another try. Probably in the Reserve.
Thank you to those of you who have provided advice on this forum. Congratulations to those of you who made it this year. And good luck to those of you still applying.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 05, 2015 2:06 am

los blancos wrote:

I'd really like Navy for myriad reasons, but seems like that's virtually impossible.

Why do you feel like this exactly? Why impossible?

And also, there is a specific forum just for Navy Jag on here that is much smaller and may provide greater utility and specificity to your branch selection than this monster forum.

For your SA.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 05, 2015 2:10 am

Rambo152 wrote:Rejected by the Air Force... again. This makes me 0-5 with the AF and 0-1 with the Navy.
I graduated law school in December and was recently admitted to practice. My enlistment in the AF Reserve is ending soon, so I think I'll get out to spend some time focusing on my civilian career before giving it another try. Probably in the Reserve.
Thank you to those of you who have provided advice on this forum. Congratulations to those of you who made it this year. And good luck to those of you still applying.

Sorry to hear that Rambo. I understand it is more difficult for Navy DA applicants than SP applicants. There are more ways to serve other than jag of course, but still if you want jag I think you should keep at it with the Navy. They are growing apparently and application are down. Keep your head up brother it'll work out.

Any interest in Coast Guard, Marines, or the Army?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue May 05, 2015 8:42 am

S. Goodman wrote:
los blancos wrote:

I'd really like Navy for myriad reasons, but seems like that's virtually impossible.

And also, there is a specific forum just for Navy Jag on here that is much smaller and may provide greater utility and specificity to your branch selection than this monster forum.

For your SA.

Thanks! Will look into that. I'm a practicing attorney so I'd be looking at DA, and the numbers are hardly encouraging! I'm also just concerned that I'm not going to be able tp scrape together any worthwhile LORs. I think I favor Navy for a variety of reasons - the locations, nature of practice, and deployments being a major part.

BiggestJer

Postby BiggestJer » Tue May 05, 2015 10:03 am

los blancos wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
los blancos wrote:

For your SA.

Thanks! Will look into that. I'm a practicing attorney so I'd be looking at DA, and the numbers are hardly encouraging! I'm also just concerned that I'm not going to be able tp scrape together any worthwhile LORs. I think I favor Navy for a variety of reasons - the locations, nature of practice, and deployments being a major part.

The numbers may not be encouraging, but it is possible. I just got the call that I was professionally recommended for Navy direct appointment. FWIW, my LOR's were only from my current employer (supervising attorney and a subordinate attorney) and a co-counsel from a case that I've known for many years. Some think it's best to have a LOR from someone in the military or politically connected, but I thought it made more sense to have LOR's from people that knew me well.

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue May 05, 2015 12:55 pm

los blancos wrote: I think I favor Navy for a variety of reasons - the locations, nature of practice, and deployments being a major part.

Deployments on a naval vessel really suck. Except for port calls, but if you're on a AC Carrier it isn't so cramped.

I will say this though, officers have it much much much better aboard a ship then the enlisted folks do.
Last edited by S. Goodman on Wed May 06, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Hey all,
Would those selected by the AF April Board be willing to post stats for future reference?

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed May 06, 2015 6:53 am

S. Goodman wrote:
los blancos wrote: I think I favor Navy for a variety of reasons - the locations, nature of practice, and deployments being a major part.

Deployments on a naval vessel really suck. Except for port calls, but if you're on a AC Carrier it isn't so cramped.

I will say this though, officers have it much much much better aboard a ship then the enlisted folks do.

+1 on deployments - not what they use to be after 9/11

Navy Jags are only going to be on big decks - carriers, gators, and flag ships. Two ways to be on a carrier: as ship's company and on the strike group staff (the staff job will be an O4 though). The flag ship jag is usually a senior O5. Jags on carriers, gators and staffs will also have legalman support. Legalman, commonly referred to as LNs, is an enlisted Navy rate (think legal secretary/paralegal). Small boys - cruisers, destroyers, etc. - will go through their staff or base if they need a JAG. Non-Judicial Punishment (also referred to as NJP & Captain's Mast by Sailors and Article 15 by the other services) doesn't require JAG involvement in most cases. NJP is how a majority of issues are handled (things like DUIs, Sailors fighting, drunk on duty, etc.) Each of the small units will have a junior officer and some yeoman that have been through the Navy's 2-week legal course. They'll handle those cases for the most part. The big deck JAG offices do handle NJP stuff to keep them busy but most of that work will be done by the LNs.

Return to “Legal Employment”