Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:33 pm

If selected, at which point are you required to make weight? Is it at MEPs or during JAOBC?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If selected, at which point are you required to make weight? Is it at MEPS or during JAOBC?

Also concerned about this . . . I believe it is at MEPS that you have to be under weight. I believe this based on (1) extensive Googling (other boards, anecdotal evidence etc.), (2) the fact that after you qualify at MEPS and actually sign your contract you are "in" the military at that point, meaning you need to be fully qualified to serve before you sign your contract, and MEPS is the point where it is determined whether or not you are qualified to serve. And (3) I was in the Marines for four year before law school and I remember that is how it was done when I wen't to MEPS in 2008.

Another good question would be (A) if you are overweight at MEPS will they give you some more time to get under weight, and (B) is it permissible if you pass the tape test rather than the weight test.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 am

S. Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If selected, at which point are you required to make weight? Is it at MEPS or during JAOBC?

Also concerned about this . . . I believe it is at MEPS that you have to be under weight. I believe this based on (1) extensive Googling (other boards, anecdotal evidence etc.), (2) the fact that after you qualify at MEPS and actually sign your contract you are "in" the military at that point, meaning you need to be fully qualified to serve before you sign your contract, and MEPS is the point where it is determined whether or not you are qualified to serve. And (3) I was in the Marines for four year before law school and I remember that is how it was done when I wen't to MEPS in 2008.

Another good question would be (A) if you are overweight at MEPS will they give you some more time to get under weight, and (B) is it permissible if you pass the tape test rather than the weight test.

It makes sense that it would be at MEPS, but again the official PT test takes place at JAOBC so perhaps the weighing aspect might be there as well... unless I am mistaken about the PT tests. I just need to shed some pounds and would like to have a rough timeline (if selected).

On a side note, the Army only uses the tape test, correct?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Also concerned about this . . .

It makes sense that it would be at MEPS, but again the official PT test takes place at JAOBC so perhaps the weighing aspect might be there as well... unless I am mistaken about the PT tests. I just need to shed some pounds and would like to have a rough timeline (if selected).

I have to shed some weight as well. Even when I was in the Marines I was extremely close, or right over, my weight limit every time I was weighed. Some people just have a large body type that makes it difficult to meet a standardized weight limit that doesn't take frame size into consideration.

I have never served in the Army, only the Marines. However, it is my understanding that the Army as well as the Marines weigh you first, and if you are over only then will you be taped. Perhaps some prior service soldiers can weigh in on this.

I am quite certain that you do not take an official physical fitness test until you actually arrive at a base for your training, typically you are weighed at the same time you take your PFT in the fleet, although school houses might do things a little different. But the Marines weigh you at the same time you do your PFT, the other services may or may not do it the same way.

Regardless of whether you get weighed when you do a PFT in training or not, I feel confident in saying that you will need to be under your max weight when you arrive at MEPS. Some branches do not allow you to do the tape test when trying to enter into the service, this is only permitted for people already in. For specific procedure of the Army that is taking place right now a recruiter might be your best resource.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:23 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Also concerned about this . . .

I have to shed some weight as well. Even when I was in the Marines I was extremely close, or right over, my weight limit every time I was weighed. Some people just have a large body type that makes it difficult to meet a standardized weight limit that doesn't take frame size into consideration.

I have never served in the Army, only the Marines. However, it is my understanding that the Army as well as the Marines weigh you first, and if you are over only then will you be taped. Perhaps some prior service soldiers can weigh in on this.

I am quite certain that you do not take an official physical fitness test until you actually arrive at a base for your training, typically you are weighed at the same time you take your PFT in the fleet, although school houses might do things a little different. But the Marines weigh you at the same time you do your PFT, the other services may or may not do it the same way.

Regardless of whether you get weighed when you do a PFT in training or not, I feel confident in saying that you will need to be under your max weight when you arrive at MEPS. Some branches do not allow you to do the tape test when trying to enter into the service, this is only permitted for people already in. For specific procedure of the Army that is taking place right now a recruiter might be your best resource.

Correct. I only enlisted, but I never was remotely close to the weight limit. Always 20+ pounds over. Was no problem at any point, just got to make tape.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:19 pm

I just got my phone call yesterday for the AF Jag Internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Just received the AF internship rejection. Hopefully everyone else will be getting invites soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received the AF internship rejection. Hopefully everyone else will be getting invites soon!

Are acceptances or rejections coming from the individual bases, or are they coming from a central location? Referred 2L with no new news, but not expecting anything at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I got my acceptance phone call from headquarters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Anyone here familiar with:

1. JAG reserve components? (commitment, is one better than others, ability to do it if working FT already, etc.)
2. Federal gov't attorneys working as JAG reserve?

I'm specifically wondering how doable it would be for a fed gov't attorney to do JAG reserve. I know a lot of DA offices allow it and some encourage it, but I'm not sure about fed agencies.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here familiar with:

1. JAG reserve components? (commitment, is one better than others, ability to do it if working FT already, etc.)

I'm specifically wondering how doable it would be for a fed gov't attorney to do JAG reserve. I know a lot of DA offices allow it and some encourage it, but I'm not sure about fed agencies.

By law, no employer can ban you or punish you for being in the reserves. I know a lot of people who work in state and fed agencies who are in JAG reserves. You can definitely do it if you work FT. In fact, that's how almost everyone I know does it.

JAG reserves is great if you want to have regular civilian work but still be in the military. It's about one weekend a month, plus any mobilizations you want to do. Some services require you to be active duty before you become a JAG reserve, though.

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:24 am

Other GLP/OYCP selectees: are we all headed to Max 3 for FT, or do they have us split up across the summer?

jagnut

Postby jagnut » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:22 am

skylaws wrote:Other GLP/OYCP selectees: are we all headed to Max 3 for FT, or do they have us split up across the summer?

I'm headed to Max 3. I believe it is the norm for JAG cadets because there is a week long Field Training Academics Program (FTAP) course offered immediately prior/in conjunction w/ Max 3 which is supposed to serve as an Air Force crash course since we missed the traditional 2 years of prep classes. It's possible FTAP is offered all summer long, but I got the impression that wasn't the case. Max 3 w/ FTAP: 11 Jun - 14 Jul. However, I know that law students have gone at different times in the past for various reasons (internships, weddings, etc.).

If you haven't informed your Det of any special circumstances, it may be safe to assume you'll be headed to FTAP/Max 3, but certainly ask your Det- I believe all the slots have been assigned so they should know by now.

skylaws

Postby skylaws » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35 am

jagnut wrote:
skylaws wrote:Other GLP/OYCP selectees: are we all headed to Max 3 for FT, or do they have us split up across the summer?

I'm headed to Max 3. I believe it is the norm for JAG cadets because there is a week long Field Training Academics Program (FTAP) course offered immediately prior/in conjunction w/ Max 3 which is supposed to serve as an Air Force crash course since we missed the traditional 2 years of prep classes. It's possible FTAP is offered all summer long, but I got the impression that wasn't the case. Max 3 w/ FTAP: 11 Jun - 14 Jul. However, I know that law students have gone at different times in the past for various reasons (internships, weddings, etc.).

If you haven't informed your Det of any special circumstances, it may be safe to assume you'll be headed to FTAP/Max 3, but certainly ask your Det- I believe all the slots have been assigned so they should know by now.

Yeah I heard a few days ago that I'm headed to Max 3 and FTAP, just was curious if they were sending all of us law students to that one, or if they were doing multiple. Neat, I'm glad we're all headed to the same Max; looking forward to meeting y'all there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:15 pm

New user here. I went through the application and interview process for the April DAP board. This was my third application ( I applied and interviewed for the October and December boards as well) and was wondering if anyone has heard from headquarters yet about acceptances?

The Major that I interviewed with told me the normal process was to receive a call from the base you interviewed with and they notify you of acceptance first, to do an "air high five" as he put it, and then you hear from headquarters about a day or two after that. Can anyone confirm this process? I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread and thank anyone who can offer some insight in advance! I wish you all the best of luck.

herring3279

Postby herring3279 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:New user here. I went through the application and interview process for the April DAP board. This was my third application ( I applied and interviewed for the October and December boards as well) and was wondering if anyone has heard from headquarters yet about acceptances?

The Major that I interviewed with told me the normal process was to receive a call from the base you interviewed with and they notify you of acceptance first, to do an "air high five" as he put it, and then you hear from headquarters about a day or two after that. Can anyone confirm this process? I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread and thank anyone who can offer some insight in advance! I wish you all the best of luck.

Are you talking about AF JAG DAP Board? I can only speak to how the AF JAG GLP February Board worked, but I received a call from the base I interviewed with the last week of February. Never heard from headquarters though - but that's probably because GLP involves ROTC. Maybe this is helpful and if not, just ignore me!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:02 am

herring3279 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:New user here. I went through the application and interview process for the April DAP board. This was my third application ( I applied and interviewed for the October and December boards as well) and was wondering if anyone has heard from headquarters yet about acceptances?

Are you talking about AF JAG DAP Board? I can only speak to how the AF JAG GLP February Board worked, but I received a call from the base I interviewed with the last week of February. Never heard from headquarters though - but that's probably because GLP involves ROTC. Maybe this is helpful and if not, just ignore me!

I was talking about the AF DAP, sorry for the failure to specify that! Thank you for the information, it is very helpful to have an idea of how they will reach out to you if selected. Thank you and congratulations on being selected!

rtb2008x

Postby rtb2008x » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:32 pm

I too haven't received a response yet for the AF April Board... but I've heard anecdotally that results start coming out in the last week of April / first week of May. Good luck!

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Navy's Spring Board should be released soon too. Apparently, the Board met last week, so I'm betting sometime next week or early the following week. Yay - right during finals =/

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 pm

If you are selected, you will receive a call from the base where you interviewed. A few days after the acceptance call, you will receive a packet in the mail from JAX (but no phone call from JAX).

ShwimU18

Postby ShwimU18 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:40 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Navy's Spring Board should be released soon too. Apparently, the Board met last week, so I'm betting sometime next week or early the following week. Yay - right during finals =/

I spoke with someone in the accessions office earlier this week. She suggested that results might come out as early as this week.

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Gosh, that'd be awesome! But, to be honest, I doubt it - that's tomorrow. We'll find out I guess! :)

JAG Hopeful

Postby JAG Hopeful » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:07 am

Anyone heard anything from the Navy yet? Mine's still pending.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here familiar with:

It is very do-able to handle Reserve work as a Fed. I'm with DOJ and have my annual tour coming up in a month. Feds are entitled to 15 days of paid military leave a year. For a Cat B IMA, you owe two weeks (taken all at once) for your annual tour and then an additional 12 days of IDT, which can be taken in smaller chunks or individually. After military leave is exhausted, folks either use unpaid leave or burn regular leave to meet their reserve days (you can get clever with this if you have a Flex schedule and are able to work weekend days for your IDT days). I have a great office and boss on the DOJ side that have been supportive and also a great office/boss with my reserve unit that makes scheduling my days painless.

I transitioned into the Reserves after 6 years of active duty, so I can't comment on the experience of being a new direct accession reservist. All of my friends in the local area that recently punched out of active duty ended up with Federal positions among the different agencies and almost all stayed with the Reserves.

It is a big commitment of time but it is manageable. It is all a balancing act and will depend on your priorities and goals.

howell

Postby howell » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:The Major that I interviewed with told me the normal process was to receive a call from the base you interviewed with and they notify you of acceptance first, to do an "air high five" as he put it, and then you hear from headquarters about a day or two after that. Can anyone confirm this process? I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread and thank anyone who can offer some insight in advance! I wish you all the best of luck.

Yes, the SJA you interviewed with should be the one to call you. If they're not available, I would think you would hear directly from JAX. But after the SJA calls you, yes, JAX should follow up. You would then have a package sent to you (or on its way by that time) in the mail with the first steps of what you'll have to do.

Return to “Legal Employment”