Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fallingup77
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby fallingup77 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?

illiniguy1551
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby illiniguy1551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:45 pm

fallingup77 wrote:Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?


Nothing since being referred. I expect most news will come in April.

uvandy
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Military Law

Postby uvandy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:
fallingup77 wrote:Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?


Nothing since being referred. I expect most news will come in April.
When were you referred by the unpaid externship? I applied back in Jan and haven't heard anything.

illiniguy1551
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby illiniguy1551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:13 pm

uvandy wrote:
illiniguy1551 wrote:
fallingup77 wrote:Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?


Nothing since being referred. I expect most news will come in April.
When were you referred by the unpaid externship? I applied back in Jan and haven't heard anything.


Yeah my bad. I was talking about the internship, not the externship.

User avatar
deaclaw
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby deaclaw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:48 pm

fallingup77 wrote:Found out Monday that I wasn't referred for the AF JAG internship. Anyone hear about the externship yet?


Same here, found out Monday I wasn't referred for the paid internship.

I also received an email today saying I was chosen for the unpaid externship, that they are currently reviewing applications for the internship and will make selection decisions soon, and that I will be contacted by phone this month to determine my assignment location.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Holynorth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:23 pm

So after referral for the USAF jag internship, is there an interview next?

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby AT9 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Also was selected for the AF unpaid externship, even though I had previously withdrawn (I guess they reviewed and accepted my application before my withdrawal). Happy to have made the cut, but sucks because I really would have liked to be an intern/extern this summer.

User avatar
deaclaw
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby deaclaw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Holynorth wrote:So after referral for the USAF jag internship, is there an interview next?


From the announcement:

"If you are referred, but not selected, you will receive a "Disposition Letter" notifying you of the non-selection. If you are selected, you will receive a tentative offer of employment via email"

illiniguy1551
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby illiniguy1551 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:58 am

I couldn't find what I read before in this thread, but specifically regarding the Air Force paid internship, is there any general idea on chances once referred?

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Holynorth » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I would like to know as well. I read about a hundred pages yesterday and will probably finish the rest today. I'll let you know if I find any comments on it.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22824
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Military Law

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi folks - at the request of a user, and realizing that this thread is really about a form of Legal Employment, I've moved it to the Legal Employment forum. In particular, this provides the ability to use anonymous posting here, which hopefully will lead to an even greater sharing of information. If you have any concerns about the move, please let me know via PM. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:56 am

For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?

User avatar
howell
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

illiniguy1551 wrote:I couldn't find what I read before in this thread, but specifically regarding the Air Force paid internship, is there any general idea on chances once referred?

I know of no direct bump from having been selected for the internship. There are advantages to getting one, however. One is that you learn what the AF is looking for, and you can shape your career/resume/life to what that needs to be. Part of this is learning indirectly through observation and trial and error, and part is through actually talking to a lot of current and former JAGs (civilian attorneys in the AF are often former JAGs).

Another benefit is that you get the chance to get your work seen by people who can provide helpful recommendation letters. This includes both the SJA you would work for (who you could do the interview with if you chose) and other higher-ranking JAGs and civilian attorneys.

A different kind of benefit is that you get to learn a little about whether you would actually want to do the job. If you truly learn that it's what you want to do, that will help in the application process.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Holynorth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:35 am

I think he was asking about the chances of getting the paid internship once referred.

User avatar
howell
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 am

Holynorth wrote:I think he was asking about the chances of getting the paid internship once referred.

Then no, I have nothing. :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:05 pm

howell wrote:
illiniguy1551 wrote:I couldn't find what I read before in this thread, but specifically regarding the Air Force paid internship, is there any general idea on chances once referred?

I know of no direct bump from having been selected for the internship. There are advantages to getting one, however. One is that you learn what the AF is looking for, and you can shape your career/resume/life to what that needs to be. Part of this is learning indirectly through observation and trial and error, and part is through actually talking to a lot of current and former JAGs (civilian attorneys in the AF are often former JAGs).

Another benefit is that you get the chance to get your work seen by people who can provide helpful recommendation letters. This includes both the SJA you would work for (who you could do the interview with if you chose) and other higher-ranking JAGs and civilian attorneys.

A different kind of benefit is that you get to learn a little about whether you would actually want to do the job. If you truly learn that it's what you want to do, that will help in the application process.


I know this wasn't exactly what was asked, but I will second this for others who are interested. Currently at JASOC (AF JAG school) and have met quite a few interns.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?


Bump.

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Military Law

Postby JEB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?


When you arrive at ODS in Newport after the bar exam.

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Army JAG - DoDMERB

Postby mbkc03 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.

lawhaze
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Army JAG - DoDMERB

Postby lawhaze » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 pm

mbkc03 wrote:Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.


I received an email from JARO on Wednesday afternoon, which was the first I'd heard from them since early January. The email included a form and some info about medical exams, which we can start scheduling on April 10. Did you get this email?

The message also stated that the 200th JAOBC won't start until April 2016. I was hoping to have a January 2016 start date, but I figured that that'd be a long shot based on posts in this thread about JAOBC backlog.

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Re: Army JAG - DoDMERB

Postby mbkc03 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:27 pm

lawhaze wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.


I received an email from JARO on Wednesday afternoon, which was the first I'd heard from them since early January. The email included a form and some info about medical exams, which we can start scheduling on April 10. Did you get this email?

The message also stated that the 200th JAOBC won't start until April 2016. I was hoping to have a January 2016 start date, but I figured that that'd be a long shot based on posts in this thread about JAOBC backlog.


Just called JARO and they didn't have my correct email address. They're sending the forms right now. Thanks!

lawhaze
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Army JAG - DoDMERB

Postby lawhaze » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 pm

mbkc03 wrote:
lawhaze wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:Any Army JAG selects here? Has anyone heard back from JARO after turning in their letter of intent? I'm still waiting on them to schedule a DoDMERB appointment.


I received an email from JARO on Wednesday afternoon, which was the first I'd heard from them since early January. The email included a form and some info about medical exams, which we can start scheduling on April 10. Did you get this email?

The message also stated that the 200th JAOBC won't start until April 2016. I was hoping to have a January 2016 start date, but I figured that that'd be a long shot based on posts in this thread about JAOBC backlog.


Just called JARO and they didn't have my correct email address. They're sending the forms right now. Thanks!


Good to hear and glad I could help!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who have been selected for the Navy SP program, at what point do you do your first PT?


Bump.


First day. Get ready to do PT right away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Any news on the AF paid internship front?

rtb2008x
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby rtb2008x » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:21 pm

General question about the JAG timeline:

If I just applied/interviewed for the current spring board with JAG, I know (assuming I'm accepted) I'll go through MEPS, and then officer training around August. At what point am I actually considered enlisted, and what date do I actually begin work? Is it in the Fall, or next Spring??




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.