Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JEB

Re: Military Law

Postby JEB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry, UFLaw. Hopefully you'll get in on another round.

I was professionally recommended. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the information/encouragement/advice you've provided.

UFlaw15

Postby UFlaw15 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Congrats!

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:21 pm

I was (finally) "professionally recommended" by the Navy! Wow, I'm ecstatic, euphoric & elated.

Okay, I have to take my Wills, Trusts, & Estates final now.

Dani2920

Postby Dani2920 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Congrats to all those PR'ed for the Navy! And to those not selected, keep at it!

I was picked up last year as a 2L, so if anyone has any questions just shoot me a message, will be glad to help.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 pm

For Air Force - should we buy more than the minimum required number of uniforms or gear for COT? I'm planning on getting my uniforms ahead of time and want to know if I should get any extras. Thanks.

Jules07

Postby Jules07 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Puttanesca wrote:For Air Force - should we buy more than the minimum required number of uniforms or gear for COT? I'm planning on getting my uniforms ahead of time and want to know if I should get any extras. Thanks.

I would definitely recommend bringing at least 3 sets of ABUs and 5 sets of PTUs. When I went to Field Training (under 4 weeks), we had limited time to do laundry and the OTs we saw were in PTUs way more often than we were. It would probably be in your best interest to at least take more than 2 sets of PTUs. I took 8 shirts and 5 pairs of shorts, and that was just enough.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Just got announcement from Flags:

55 selected out of 233 applications - almost 24% selection rate. Our corps is projected to grow, so we selected more than normal. Also, perhaps this is a sign that economy is recovering? I remember when there used to be 700+ applicants and they would pick 25 at a board.

Those not picked up, good luck with next board.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:03 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Just got announcement from Flags:

55 selected out of 233 applications - almost 24% selection rate. Our corps is projected to grow, so we selected more than normal. Also, perhaps this is a sign that economy is recovering? I remember when there used to be 700+ applicants and they would pick 25 at a board.

From this past Navy board right? Link?

If so, wow; from 9-10% to 24%.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:15 pm

shintopig wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:Just got announcement from Flags:

From this past Navy board right? Link?

If so, wow; from 9-10% to 24%.

Information is from an E-mail that is distributed to the entire JAG community. Yes, from past board.

chunnyboy

Postby chunnyboy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Got PR'd for Navy.

Waiting to hear from Army AD (They're expected to announce Dec. 19th) before making final decision.

Would welcome advice on this front

(both summer internships were with Army JAG (Ft. Belvoir and Ft. Bragg) but have many personal connections with Navy as well)

lumberjack12

Postby lumberjack12 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Anyone know when the AF DAP December board generally meets/give the results? (Their site says 30-60 days but worth asking if anyone has any insights into the norm)

howell

Postby howell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:49 am

Jules07 wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:For Air Force - should we buy more than the minimum required number of uniforms or gear for COT? I'm planning on getting my uniforms ahead of time and want to know if I should get any extras. Thanks.

I would definitely recommend bringing at least 3 sets of ABUs and 5 sets of PTUs. When I went to Field Training (under 4 weeks), we had limited time to do laundry and the OTs we saw were in PTUs way more often than we were. It would probably be in your best interest to at least take more than 2 sets of PTUs. I took 8 shirts and 5 pairs of shorts, and that was just enough.

Yeah, if you have the money, having 3 sets of ABUs helped for COT (and afterward). There would be diminishing returns after that. I went through COT with 4 PT shorts and 4 PT shirts. More would not have hurt, but it wasn't tough having the 4 sets.

mhylden

Postby mhylden » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:06 am

If I am remembering correctly the AF Oct DAP Board met Oct. 21 or so and had results out by Friday Nov. 7. So about two and a half week turn around there. I know they had results out by Nov. 7. Not as sure about when they met.

In any case Nov 7 is when I was non-select. It was my first try. I was able to get my packet in for Nov 10 deadline for Dec board so this is my second try.

Good luck to you.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:02 am

howell wrote:
Jules07 wrote:

Yeah, if you have the money, having 3 sets of ABUs helped for COT (and afterward). There would be diminishing returns after that. I went through COT with 4 PT shorts and 4 PT shirts. More would not have hurt, but it wasn't tough having the 4 sets.

Thanks. Got 3 ABUs. For the nametags, can we order those now, or are we supposed to wait until COT?

Also, for those who arrive a day or two early before COT, do most reserve lodging on or off base? Trying to figure out what to do about hotel.

howell

Postby howell » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Thanks. Got 3 ABUs. For the nametags, can we order those now, or are we supposed to wait until COT?

Also, for those who arrive a day or two early before COT, do most reserve lodging on or off base? Trying to figure out what to do about hotel.

You can order the nametags now, but make sure they'll come in before COT.

I want to say most people stayed off-base, but if you can get into lodging, I don't see why you wouldn't want to stay there.

JEB

Postby JEB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Question for all you Navy and Army JAGs out there. I've been meaning to ask this, and since the Army 2L internship list is being released later today, I wanted to make sure to ask it before the list comes out. I don't know whether I'll be selected, but I did just get PR by Navy and will be accepting that commission.

Is it bad form to take an Army JAG internship next summer even though I'm already committing to Navy?

Jules07

Postby Jules07 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:34 pm

JEB wrote:Is it bad form to take an Army JAG internship next summer even though I'm already committing to Navy?

I don't think so. I took a Navy internship last summer even though I was committed to the Air Force, and even though it was a little awkward at times explaining that to the people I was working with, they thought it was great that I was getting some cross-branch experience. They were just sad that I wasn't applying to the Navy!

To me it was always more about learning from the experience and focusing on the similarities between the branches. I don't think anyone would tell you that it's a bad thing to want to get experience with other branches, esp because everyone knows joint ops are the way of the future! Just be prepared to put up with some teasing :wink:

so ambivalent

Postby so ambivalent » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Anyone listed for the April Army JAG class heard anything since like September or October? I thought we'd have heard something by now about specific start date or whether we passed background, initial posts etc etc. But radio silence. It's making me glad I have other employment right now...

12law

Postby 12law » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Anyone know how many people applied for Army or Air Force JAG this go around?

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Any news on Army Reserves? 2Ls and AD seem to have info...

toster19

Postby toster19 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 pm

I've got a couple questions pertaining to the Air Force. I was selected last year, but because I took the California bar and because California takes so long to return results, I was told I won't go to COT until March. My first question is how soon before you left for COT did you get your base assignment? I'm getting antsy to know where I will be living for the next few years. Second, I've read a few blogs about the physical training at COT and its kindof hard to discern what its like because saying it was "hard," "easy," etc. are so relative. I really enjoy training and I'd like to enter in the best shape possible, but I'm unsure where I should focus. Can anyone say something more factual like "we had to run about 5 miles a day at about a 9:00 pace"?

howell

Postby howell » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:39 pm

toster19 wrote:I've got a couple questions pertaining to the Air Force. I was selected last year, but because I took the California bar and because California takes so long to return results, I was told I won't go to COT until March. My first question is how soon before you left for COT did you get your base assignment? I'm getting antsy to know where I will be living for the next few years. Second, I've read a few blogs about the physical training at COT and its kindof hard to discern what its like because saying it was "hard," "easy," etc. are so relative. I really enjoy training and I'd like to enter in the best shape possible, but I'm unsure where I should focus. Can anyone say something more factual like "we had to run about 5 miles a day at about a 9:00 pace"?

Most people get their assignment soon after letting JAX know their bar results. Have you completed MEPS?

As far as PT at COT, it's not difficult. You will NOT have to do 5 miles per day at a 9:00 pace. Part of it will depend on who the PT leader is for COT while you're there. We had a lot of calisthenics, I guess - push-ups, sit-ups, flutter kicks, etc. If you can score 90+ on the AF PT test, you will be completely fine. You will usually have shorter runs than the 1.5 mile run you'll be tested on. We had to do a 5k toward the end, though. I would just focus on getting your 1.5 mile time and waistline down and your push-ups & sit-ups up. You will only be "graded" on your PT test score. Even then, people were barely scraping by. It's PT for medical officers, lawyers, and chaplains. We are not special forces.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:43 am

Army AD selections are out

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:55 am

I got accepted into the Army Reserves!

2 times applying for AD (as a 3L and right after law school)
3rd time applying for Reserves (Last Fall, this Spring, and this Fall)

Awesome!

dat209

Postby dat209 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:05 pm

travellingboarder wrote:I got accepted into the Army Reserves!

2 times applying for AD (as a 3L and right after law school)
3rd time applying for Reserves (Last Fall, this Spring, and this Fall)

Awesome!

Where did you find out from?

Return to “Legal Employment”