Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Young Marino

Re: Military Law

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 am

I was really interested in AF JAG at one point but due to a pre-existing health condition, I'm ineligible (asthma). I was thinking of doing FL National Guard JAG as it is a reserves type ordeal. I'm gunning for a local prosecutor job in my hometown but I'm wondering how this would fit into doing yhe FL National Guard JAG. Does anyone have any experience doing National Guard JAG? I've heard asthma isn't really a problem for the National Guard. Any truth to this?

charliecompany

Postby charliecompany » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm

nclwyr wrote:
travellingboarder wrote:Still no word from Army Reserves.

Anyone have any information?

None here, still checking the online portal daily and waiting for "Pending Board Decision" to change. It's got to be soon...right?

No word here either. Status remains PBD. Good luck to both of you, travellingboarder and nclwyr. Do either of you know Army JAG protocol for notification, i.e. status change online (from PBD to PR or NPR), phone call from FSO, email, or JARO website announcements section? I know it will be posted on JARO but previous posts on this site have indicated that some received calls prior to the formal announcement. Some others have referred to a Congratulatory email.

Cg95: Do you mind if I ask whether you are enlisted or currently applying? You had good insights re: timing of previous Board decisions.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:55 am

Young Marino wrote:I was really interested in AF JAG at one point but due to a pre-existing health condition, I'm ineligible (asthma). I was thinking of doing FL National Guard JAG as it is a reserves type ordeal. I'm gunning for a local prosecutor job in my hometown but I'm wondering how this would fit into doing yhe FL National Guard JAG. Does anyone have any experience doing National Guard JAG? I've heard asthma isn't really a problem for the National Guard. Any truth to this?

If something disqualifies you from active military service, it disqualifies you from the guard/reserves. The guard is there to be mobilized (called to active duty) for emergencies so there is no point in having someone medically unfit for active duty.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:29 am

Young Marino wrote:I was really interested in AF JAG at one point but due to a pre-existing health condition, I'm ineligible (asthma). I was thinking of doing FL National Guard JAG as it is a reserves type ordeal. I'm gunning for a local prosecutor job in my hometown but I'm wondering how this would fit into doing yhe FL National Guard JAG. Does anyone have any experience doing National Guard JAG? I've heard asthma isn't really a problem for the National Guard. Any truth to this?

Active duty and National Guard have the same medical entrance standards. Is the asthma a current condition, or was it strictly a childhood condition? If you haven't already, you might want to look at DoDI 6130.03 (it's available on the web) at the section on asthma. Depending on the length of time since the asthma and other factors, a history of asthma is not necessarily a total bar to service.

zVo

Postby zVo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Random: any prior service Army aviation officers here now serving in JAG? I know it's probably a slim demographic I'm reaching out to, but I figure I'd try. I'm wondering what the pros/cons are in you switching? Anything you like better? Anything you miss?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:48 pm

zVo wrote:Random: any prior service Army aviation officers here now serving in JAG? I know it's probably a slim demographic I'm reaching out to, but I figure I'd try. I'm wondering what the pros/cons are in you switching? Anything you like better? Anything you miss?

boyfriend is in aviation. I know he's really fond of that extra flight pay that JAGs obviously don't get. From my perspective, it seems like exit options for JAGs are better than for aviation officers because the stiff competition for flight hours puts them at a disadvantage compared to their Warrant Officer peers when they get out. More typical Army stuff in aviation as compared to JAG (e.g. 24 hour staff duty), but I guess that is a pro or con depending on whether you like that kind of stuff.

zVo

Postby zVo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:17 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
zVo wrote:Random: any prior service Army aviation officers here now serving in JAG? I know it's probably a slim demographic I'm reaching out to, but I figure I'd try. I'm wondering what the pros/cons are in you switching? Anything you like better? Anything you miss?

boyfriend is in aviation. I know he's really fond of that extra flight pay that JAGs obviously don't get. From my perspective, it seems like exit options for JAGs are better than for aviation officers because the stiff competition for flight hours puts them at a disadvantage compared to their Warrant Officer peers when they get out. More typical Army stuff in aviation as compared to JAG (e.g. 24 hour staff duty), but I guess that is a pro or con depending on whether you like that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the response, LSATmakesMeNeurotic.
I'm actually a CW2 flying UH-60Ms right now. You hit the nail on the head as to exactly why I'm considering a 'career change' -- exit options. Helicopter jobs are few, the required flight hour experience level is high, the job locations are usually undesirable, and the compensation is often not what should be for the hours and years of training, knowledge, and experience. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy flying... I've gone out and got my airplane certifications on my own dime, but I'm not dead-set on this as a career.

JAG seems appealing because it seems like it makes up a huge part of what you actually do, whereas in aviation, aviation duties take up an iota of one's time. I like the idea of concentrating in a certain skill area (albeit diverse).

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:12 pm

It's been 4 months since the application closed for Army Reserves...LONG TIME!

so ambivalent

Postby so ambivalent » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:18 pm

so i finally got my medical waiver. woo! and have some q for people who have been through this.
1) does this mean i am out of the woods or could they take it away or ask for more info and then take it away? or could i get dq-ed on background check or could they just decide not to let me in? like how firm is the offer at this point?
2) i was put in the june class for next year. is it possible they will move me to an even later class? i have heard this happens and there is nothing you can do. i am not sure what i would do for the next year but these loans won't pay themselves....

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

zVo wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

Thanks for the response, LSATmakesMeNeurotic.
I'm actually a CW2 flying UH-60Ms right now. You hit the nail on the head as to exactly why I'm considering a 'career change' -- exit options. Helicopter jobs are few, the required flight hour experience level is high, the job locations are usually undesirable, and the compensation is often not what should be for the hours and years of training, knowledge, and experience. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy flying... I've gone out and got my airplane certifications on my own dime, but I'm not dead-set on this as a career.

JAG seems appealing because it seems like it makes up a huge part of what you actually do, whereas in aviation, aviation duties take up an iota of one's time. I like the idea of concentrating in a certain skill area (albeit diverse).

What unit are you in? I just got out after 9 years and I spent my entire career in an aviation battalion. 4/3 ACR then 16th CAB. I was UH60 doorgunner during a deployment to Iraq. You may have better luck finding the demographic you're looking for here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm

As another poster already said, check the regulations. I knew people in the Army with full-fledged-had-to-carry-an-inhaler-at-all-times asthma.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 am

Pretty much the only medical condition I know for sure will keep you out at this point, both from talking to them and from reading this thread, is current depression/anxiety or depression with medication the last two years.

Source: turned down for AF JAG after selection because I am on anti-depressant

Seems silly though - I'm getting help and then therefore less likely to eat a gun than a guy who's going in and hiding it in order to get it. But, whatever, just have to have faith that God has a plan.

so ambivalent

Postby so ambivalent » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:03 pm

spleenworship wrote:Pretty much the only medical condition I know for sure will keep you out at this point, both from talking to them and from reading this thread, is current depression/anxiety or depression with medication the last two years.

Seems silly though - I'm getting help and then therefore less likely to eat a gun than a guy who's going in and hiding it in order to get it. But, whatever, just have to have faith that God has a plan.

that was what i actually got the waiver for. so it IS possible. i think it def helped that i had really good rec letters from former and current army jags tho....
but i feel you. if i were the military, i would much rather take a 20 something law student on anti-depressants than an 18 year old male who has never had any mental health issues because, statistically, the latter is much more likely to freak out and go on a killing spree than someone who has gone through the really stressful law school experience, is high enough-achieving to get into JAG and practices really good mental health self care. but that would just be too logical for the insane bureaucracy that is the military to do. i mean this is an institution that medically disqualifies people who have a sex change (no medical reason for that) and, until recently, disqualified gay people. the whole experience has got me thinking twice about whether it is a good career for me to be part of such an institution with such regressive, illogical policies.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:25 pm

so ambivalent wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Pretty much the only medical condition I know for sure will keep you out at this point, both from talking to them and from reading this thread, is current depression/anxiety or depression with medication the last two years.

that was what i actually got the waiver for. so it IS possible. i think it def helped that i had really good rec letters from former and current army jags tho....
but i feel you. if i were the military, i would much rather take a 20 something law student on anti-depressants than an 18 year old male who has never had any mental health issues because, statistically, the latter is much more likely to freak out and go on a killing spree than someone who has gone through the really stressful law school experience, is high enough-achieving to get into JAG and practices really good mental health self care. but that would just be too logical for the insane bureaucracy that is the military to do. i mean this is an institution that medically disqualifies people who have a sex change (no medical reason for that) and, until recently, disqualified gay people. the whole experience has got me thinking twice about whether it is a good career for me to be part of such an institution with such regressive, illogical policies.

For the most part, the military doesn't make these policies. They only enforce them.

so ambivalent

Postby so ambivalent » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
so ambivalent wrote:

For the most part, the military doesn't make these policies. They only enforce them.

Pretty sure they do since they are DoD regs... It's certainly not Congress making them, although the president could change them (as happened with don't ask don't tell).

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:18 pm

They only have so much funding, so much time, and they only have so many doctors. I don't blame them really. You have thousands of applicants per month, and it's almost impossible to take more than a few on a case by case basis.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Is it a lot harder to get JAG after working as an actual attorney for a while (like one year max though)?

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:00 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Is it a lot harder to get JAG after working as an actual attorney for a while (like one year max though)?

No, it's actually slightly easier. I talked with someone who once sat on one of the selection committees and she said that during that time, they took 60% of the applicants from those already practicing. The reason for this is that they're ready to go right away.

DEG1989

Postby DEG1989 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:46 pm

I just got picked up off the Navy alternate list today. Anyone have any idea how long it will take to get my commissioning documents?

Anonnymous

Postby Anonnymous » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Last edited by Anonnymous on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 pm

What about medical conditions that prohibit you from getting through "boot camp?" Like in my case, I have a bad knee and a disc problem in my neck. Pretty much makes running more than a mile a no-go.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Tyr wrote:

What about medical conditions that prohibit you from getting through "boot camp?" Like in my case, I have a bad knee and a disc problem in my neck. Pretty much makes running more than a mile a no-go.

Well, if you can't run a mile and your doctors will confirm this, you probably won't get a waiver. A waiver says "this person has a medical condition that is presumptively disqualifying, but has demonstrated through medical evidence that they are, in fact, able to perform the required tasks."

Maybe get treatment and see if you are able to perform?

lumberjack12

Postby lumberjack12 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:23 am

Anybody selected or with insights on the selection panel for AF JAG have any general advice on the motivational statement?

I've applied (unsuccessfully) before and my statement was "typical" as I talked about desire to serve/lead, family military history, love of country, connection to AF, etc. I'd imagine there are a bunch of statements like that and that they are not impactful.

Which type of letter do they prefer? How much weight goes into the motivational statement? Is it expected to change each review board? Do the review boards change for each cycle?

thebarcaneatme

Postby thebarcaneatme » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
joonbug wrote:I'm not a citizen yet. Do I have to be one to really consider military law as a viable option?

Yes. You need to be a United States Citizen to commission. It also is critical to obtain the necessary security clearances.

I am thinking this is wrong. I knew LOTS of non citizens in the enlisted ranks. If nothing else he can serve enlisted and get loan forgiveness at a higher rate (they give MORE for enlisted-odd but true) and then go officer if it really is a requirement.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:14 am

thebarcaneatme wrote:I am thinking this is wrong. I knew LOTS of non citizens in the enlisted ranks. If nothing else he can serve enlisted and get loan forgiveness at a higher rate (they give MORE for enlisted-odd but true) and then go officer if it really is a requirement.

Enlisting =/= Commissioning as an officer. Two totally separate processes with different requirements.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an Officer in the U.S. Air Force, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen

http://www.airforce.com/contact-us/faq/eligibility/

You are correct that non-citizens can enlist. That individual could then apply to become a naturalized US Citizen and then pursue an officer's commission through OTS/OCS, ROTC, or a Service Academy.

Return to “Legal Employment”