Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JagHopeful3L

Re: Military Law

Postby JagHopeful3L » Tue May 27, 2014 3:31 am

Thanks for all the useful help already. I guess I'm going to contact recruiters in all 5 for more information...

Really want this, I have some of the factors mentioned, but not sure what separates me into top 5-8% of applicants or whatever sadly. Going to do everything I can though to improve my chances.

Quick question, should I be contacting e-mails listed on different branchs' jag section, or a local recruiter?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue May 27, 2014 4:37 am

JagHopeful3L wrote:Thanks for all the useful help already. I guess I'm going to contact recruiters in all 5 for more information...

Really want this, I have some of the factors mentioned, but not sure what separates me into top 5-8% of applicants or whatever sadly. Going to do everything I can though to improve my chances.

Quick question, should I be contacting e-mails listed on different branchs' jag section, or a local recruiter?

Contact JAX or JARO or whatever the JAG HQ is called at the service you are looking at.

JagHopeful3L

Postby JagHopeful3L » Tue May 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Any one else met with a lot of broken links on the various branches' jag websites? Kind of frustrating me, not even letting me view a lot of things. Wondering if its just me though...

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:01 pm

JagHopeful3L wrote:Any one else met with a lot of broken links on the various branches' jag websites? Kind of frustrating me, not even letting me view a lot of things. Wondering if its just me though...

Old links ITT or from links elsewhere weren't working from me, but most links directly from the main jag sites are okay for me

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:49 am

This is a question I never thought I'd be asking but does anybody have any experience or know of anyone who has turned down an Air Force JAG selection, worked a large law firm for a few years, then successfully reapplied to JAG again? I'd also just be interested to hear from anyone who didn't accept a selection (for whatever reason) then successfully reapplied a few years later. Thanks.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 pm

In case anyone on here is/was interested in being a Marine Judge Advocate, the Marines are not accepting any OCS applications until September 2015.

Anonnymous

Postby Anonnymous » Thu May 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Last edited by Anonnymous on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle5

Postby mlittle5 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:04 pm

For those seeking info on the Army Direct Commission Course and JAOBC, I found an attorney who joined the Reserves and created a pretty detailed blog on both.

--LinkRemoved--

He did a great job of giving a week-by-week summary of the training. It's definitely worth the read for anyone interested in learning more about the Army's training regimen.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good resources to learn more about medical waivers and what conditions are generally waiverable or not waiverable.

Also, if anyone has personal experience with getting a waiver and wouldn't mind sharing it, please PM me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

AFJAG2014

Postby AFJAG2014 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows of any good resources to learn more about medical waivers and what conditions are generally waiverable or not waiverable.

Also, if anyone has personal experience with getting a waiver and wouldn't mind sharing it, please PM me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

So, I think I can distill some of the relevant knowledge ITT in regards to waivers. Waivers are usually a black box. They give waivers to some things and you're like, WTF? They deny others and it's for piddly things that you wouldn't think matter. No one can give a definitive answer on this because no one knows who the hell will be looking at your waiver application. It's typically a crapshoot.

Having said that, in our unfortunate era of cutting the fat (which is cutting the good stuff, too), I am leaning towards the idea that it's harder now to get waivers than before, based on my personal experience. I've had many friends denied waivers recently.

My personal experience involves needing a waiver for a condition that I had based on standard protocol, but when the documents/physical went before the reviewer, they said I was approved and didn't even need a waiver!

I will still always recommend that someone contemplating it try. You never know. The military tends to be "Cut, cut, cut" and then several years later, "Oh, shit. We cut too much. Recruit, recruit, recruit."

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:56 pm

AFJAG2014 wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows of any good resources to learn more about medical waivers and what conditions are generally waiverable or not waiverable.

So, I think I can distill some of the relevant knowledge ITT in regards to waivers. Waivers are usually a black box. They give waivers to some things and you're like, WTF? They deny others and it's for piddly things that you wouldn't think matter. No one can give a definitive answer on this because no one knows who the hell will be looking at your waiver application. It's typically a crapshoot.

Having said that, in our unfortunate era of cutting the fat (which is cutting the good stuff, too), I am leaning towards the idea that it's harder now to get waivers than before, based on my personal experience. I've had many friends denied waivers recently.

My personal experience involves needing a waiver for a condition that I had based on standard protocol, but when the documents/physical went before the reviewer, they said I was approved and didn't even need a waiver!

I will still always recommend that someone contemplating it try. You never know. The military tends to be "Cut, cut, cut" and then several years later, "Oh, shit. We cut too much. Recruit, recruit, recruit."

Thanks for the info, AF JAG! As far as I know, there is only one waiver that I would likely need (I've looked very carefully at DODI 6130.03). I get the feeling that the waiver I need would generally be very hard to come by, but my particular circumstances might be unique. I'm in the medical process now and will just try for the waiver and hope for the best.

howell

Postby howell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 pm

An update on timelines for AF applicants:

Effective immediately, all online applications must be submitted on or before the 10th of the month prior to the board. All SJA interviews must be completed and reports submitted to JAX on or before the 1st of the month of the board. For example, an applicant applying to the October Direct Appointment Board (DAP) must submit all materials online on or before 10 Sep 14.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Any rising 2L jag hopefuls trying to write onto a journal? (Or already did)

I've got to make the decision this weekend.

howell

Postby howell » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:22 pm

kay2016 wrote:Any rising 2L jag hopefuls trying to write onto a journal? (Or already did)

I've got to make the decision this weekend.

Are you trying to determine whether you should for JAG application purposes?

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Not necessarily.

My impression is that, kind of like DA gigs it's not a prerequisite but it doesn't hurt.. Just one of those if I don't do it, I don't want to be able to say I wish I would've done a journal then surely i would have been picked up, etc.. But just personally I'd rather spend more time on trial ad/moot court/volunteering at the DA office than on journal.

But if I'm wrong and it is considered more helpful for JAG please tell me and I'll buckle down and at least try!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:12 pm

kay2016 wrote:Not necessarily.

My impression is that, kind of like DA gigs it's not a prerequisite but it doesn't hurt.. Just one of those if I don't do it, I don't want to be able to say I wish I would've done a journal then surely i would have been picked up, etc.. But just personally I'd rather spend more time on trial ad/moot court/volunteering at the DA office than on journal.

But if I'm wrong and it is considered more helpful for JAG please tell me and I'll buckle down and at least try!

I was on a journal, and was asked a few questions about it during my interview with AF JAG, but I don't think it was a make or break factor. Being on a journal can be helpful if you have a leadership role (I did not), so you can use it as an example of your leadership skills and ability to manage tasks/people. There are so many other ways of getting leadership experience though. My impression is that the litigation stuff matters much more than being on a journal.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:16 pm

kay2016 wrote:Not necessarily.

I was all in for JAG from day 1 and the closest I got was an Army reserve spot. The reality is that virtually nobody should feel good about their JAG chances and have an eye to alternatives with every move they make. With that in mind, a journal is one of the stupidest, biggest wastes of time in law school. I knew it would make me miserable, so I didn't do it. That decision ended up making clerkships very difficult to get, but it freed up my time for moot court, externships, etc. that are more valuable to almost any other career path.

phorkedprocess

Postby phorkedprocess » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 am

For my fellow new JAGS who were DAPs and have huge student loans: just learned this the other day. Under the SCRA, our student loans must be capped at 6% interest during activity duty service. So, if you're like me (with 6.8% and 7.8% loans), this can save a ton a money over 4+ years. Call your loan provider - you'll just have to send them a letter saying that you want to exercise your rights under the SCRA, along with a copy of your orders. I believe that the 6% will be backdated from the date you entered the service.

tfinndogm

Postby tfinndogm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:13 am

phorkedprocess wrote:For my fellow new JAGS who were DAPs and have huge student loans: just learned this the other day. Under the SCRA, our student loans must be capped at 6% interest during activity duty service. So, if you're like me (with 6.8% and 7.8% loans), this can save a ton a money over 4+ years. Call your loan provider - you'll just have to send them a letter saying that you want to exercise your rights under the SCRA, along with a copy of your orders. I believe that the 6% will be backdated from the date you entered the service.

If your loans are with Salley Mae, they don't even need a letter/orders. I called yesterday and she could access my mil history with my social (scary) and she just backdated it. should be getting that .55% per month back in 10 business days.

WOOO.

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Any news on Army reserves? It's been a while since the application was submitted

pilchc

Postby pilchc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks phorkedprocess

phorkedprocess wrote:For my fellow new JAGS who were DAPs and have huge student loans: just learned this the other day. Under the SCRA, our student loans must be capped at 6% interest during activity duty service. So, if you're like me (with 6.8% and 7.8% loans), this can save a ton a money over 4+ years. Call your loan provider - you'll just have to send them a letter saying that you want to exercise your rights under the SCRA, along with a copy of your orders. I believe that the 6% will be backdated from the date you entered the service.

toster19

Postby toster19 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:59 pm

For those asking about journals . . . Do it. I was on my school's journal and wrote my comment about recent changes to the UCMJ. Whether or not you are one a journal/moot court/mock trial was a standard question in my AF interview. My interviewing SJA definitely seemed to like my answer. While simply stating I was on a journal wasn't the deciding factor in securing selection, it was just another way for me to show how interested and committed in JAG I am.

ekim

Postby ekim » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:23 pm

For those of you who are JAGs or know other JAGs well, did you buy a house? Are you thinking of buying one? Do most people buy one? Under what circumstances should or shouldn't you buy one? Much thanks.

JEB

Postby JEB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:37 pm

I have a question that I've seen alluded to and sometimes asked, but never really fully answered. Is it plausible to be a JAG officer and married to a civilian attorney?

I know that one has to relocate every 2-3 years, which seems like it would make being married to an attorney difficult, since law is one of the less mobile professions. Are any of you JAs on the forums married to a civilian attorney?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:00 am

JEB wrote:I have a question that I've seen alluded to and sometimes asked, but never really fully answered. Is it plausible to be a JAG officer and married to a civilian attorney?

I know that one has to relocate every 2-3 years, which seems like it would make being married to an attorney difficult, since law is one of the less mobile professions. Are any of you JAs on the forums married to a civilian attorney?

There are many attorney military spouses. As you can guess, it's really difficult for the civilian spouse because bar licenses don't transfer between all states and many times, the spouse will be unable to take advantage of reciprocity rules because they haven't been practicing in one place long enough. That said, there is a group called Military Spouse JD Network (MSJDN) which was founded in 2011 and is working on petitioning various states to allow leniency to military spouse attorneys so that they can find meaningful work while their spouse is in the service. You should check out the group if you're interested. They've had some real success getting state Supreme Courts on board.

Return to “Legal Employment”