Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
coffee282
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby coffee282 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 pm

cc8922 wrote:
Rambo152 wrote:Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from Air Force JAG for the Summer Internship after the initial call?
They told me in the initial call that I would be at Scott, but they didn't tell me what dates I would be clerking.
I might have a conflict this summer based on my annual tour with my reserve unit (which is 600 miles away from Scott). I'd like to resolve this conflict soon, so as not to screw up my internship if I have to leave for 15 days in the middle of the summer.
Instead of waiting, should I just call 375AEW/JA directly, or call JAX?


I'm kind of in the same boat. I got the initial call on April 17, but wasn't told where I was to be placed or when I would start. I would like to know soon so I can figure out my living situation etc. If I don't hear anything by April 25, I plan on giving JAX a call.


3rded. I know they're making DAP calls so I assume they're swamped, but I kind of need to know when I'm starting so I can line up my ducks : (.

Also, congrats to everyone who was professionally recommended!!!! Must be an absolute dream come true. I'd love to be in your positions in the future. Really hoping the internship will help in showing my commitment to the program.

CouchAJ
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby CouchAJ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 am

DannyBoy31 wrote:
DEG1989 wrote:I just got an email from the Navy. I was professionally recommended as an alternate. Anyone have any idea what my chances are for a commission? Thanks and best of luck to everyone.



I received the same email and just got off the phone with the Accessions Officer. He was careful not to get my hopes up, but from what I understand based on his description, our odds are pretty good to get a final selection letter sometime within the next year. First, you must go through the entire process to prepare for commissioning. If you complete all of these steps successfully, you are then added to a wait list (in order of who completes the requirements first). You then remain on this list for the entire fiscal year, and when professionally recommended applicants drop out for any reason at all, the next person up on the list takes their spot. Last year all alternates were used, so this year they picked up more than usual.

If any Navy JAGs out there can confirm or correct my understanding of the process or would be willing to share their experience, I'm sure we would all greatly appreciate it.


Good luck to the both of you!
What you said sounds about right to me. I was selected in Dec of 2012, commissioned in Aug of 2013, and graduate next month. I'm slated to go to ODS (Officer Development School) in Aug and NJS (Naval Justice School) after bar results come back.
From my understanding, the biggest hurdles now will be completing the medical screening and getting your background check all finished up. Medical is probably what knocks out most PR'd applicants.
Word of advice; get your commissioning docs done as soon as possible. Your place on the list determines the order you select your duty station.

DannyBoy31
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby DannyBoy31 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks AJ. Do you happen to remember how long it took you to get a MEPs appointment once you met with your recruiter? I went through the process about 12 years ago, but I hear it's much different now.

Fed_Atty
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:01 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Just got the info from the Admirals (Not me personally, it goes out the the entire corps)

21 Student Program
5 Direct Accessions

456 Applicants - selection rate just about 6%, way down from the double digits from the fall board.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby maxpayne » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Just got the info from the Admirals (Not me personally, it goes out the the entire corps)

21 Student Program
5 Direct Accessions

456 Applicants - selection rate just about 6%, way down from the double digits from the fall board.


That's slim pickings.

trayball23
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby trayball23 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 am

Does anyone know when promotion takes place from ENS to LTJG for navy Jag? For USMC it occurs during law school one year after commissioning. Is it he same practice for the Navy?

CouchAJ
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby CouchAJ » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:40 am

DannyBoy31 wrote:Thanks AJ. Do you happen to remember how long it took you to get a MEPs appointment once you met with your recruiter? I went through the process about 12 years ago, but I hear it's much different now.

No problem. I was active duty in the Marine Corps when I was PR'd, so I set all that stuff up myself. The day I got the news I took my DD-368 to medical and started my transfer. I'm not sure how long it would have taken had I not been on active duty, especially considering I was in Hawaii and the closest MEPS is in CA.

CouchAJ
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby CouchAJ » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:46 am

trayball23 wrote:Does anyone know when promotion takes place from ENS to LTJG for navy Jag? For USMC it occurs during law school one year after commissioning. Is it he same practice for the Navy?

We get promoted to LTJG the day we check into NJS.

Anonnymous
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 pm

.

Postby Anonnymous » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:32 pm

.
Last edited by Anonnymous on Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NavyJAGHopeful
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 am

Re: Military Law

Postby NavyJAGHopeful » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:00 am

Hello all!

Long time lurker. I was professionally recommended from the February board for the Navy. It was my first application and the recommendation came as a complete surprise. I realize how fortunate I am. This is a dream come true.

Unfortunately, as close as I've now come, I'm fearful that it will be forever out of reach because of a medical condition. I have proteinuria and that's one of the things that can get you disqualified (I take completely precautionary medicine that keeps the numbers in the acceptable range but I still think that will raise red flags). It's completely benign but everything I've read emphasizes how hard waivers are to come by. Especially with equally qualified alternates ready and waiting.

I'm putting together all necessary documentation and a letter from my doctors as I wait to meet with my recruiter. I know no one can tell me what's going to happen at MEPS (if I even get there). I'm mostly just venting because more than anything I feel foolish for thinking this could happen. I realize it may be still possible for me but the chances are significantly lower now.

Is there anything I can do to put myself in a better position for MEPS? While I understand the strategy, I'm not lying about the condition and will be disclosing.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: For future applicants, here are my stats: T1, top 20%, junior editor for primary law review, research assistant, and 4 solid recs.

User avatar
howell
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 am

Anonnymous wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this? http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-23410436

Will it affect Army JAG applicants? How about newly-commissioned Army JAGs?

From the Air Force side, the most recent year groups are usually excluded from cuts. That doesn't prevent further cuts in 2-3 that would affect JAGs that have just come on board, though.

armyhooah
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Military Law

Postby armyhooah » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:07 pm

NavyJAGHopeful wrote:Hello all!

Long time lurker. I was professionally recommended from the February board for the Navy. It was my first application and the recommendation came as a complete surprise. I realize how fortunate I am. This is a dream come true.

Unfortunately, as close as I've now come, I'm fearful that it will be forever out of reach because of a medical condition. I have proteinuria and that's one of the things that can get you disqualified (I take completely precautionary medicine that keeps the numbers in the acceptable range but I still think that will raise red flags). It's completely benign but everything I've read emphasizes how hard waivers are to come by. Especially with equally qualified alternates ready and waiting.

I'm putting together all necessary documentation and a letter from my doctors as I wait to meet with my recruiter. I know no one can tell me what's going to happen at MEPS (if I even get there). I'm mostly just venting because more than anything I feel foolish for thinking this could happen. I realize it may be still possible for me but the chances are significantly lower now.

Is there anything I can do to put myself in a better position for MEPS? While I understand the strategy, I'm not lying about the condition and will be disclosing.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: For future applicants, here are my stats: T1, top 20%, junior editor for primary law review, research assistant, and 4 solid recs.


I'm really sorry to hear this, NavyJagHopeful. I really hope it works out for you because you obviously have what it takes! I wish I had better advice, but when I went through med processing, my accessions officer was really supportive and told me that should anything happen, she'd help me in applying for a waiver right away. I ended up qualifying with no issues, but it made me feel loads better knowing someone would really fight to keep me. I can only imagine there'd be similar support on your side! Hope it all works out, and best of luck!

NavyJAGHopeful
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 am

Re: Military Law

Postby NavyJAGHopeful » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:50 pm

armyhooah wrote:
NavyJAGHopeful wrote:Hello all!

Long time lurker. I was professionally recommended from the February board for the Navy. It was my first application and the recommendation came as a complete surprise. I realize how fortunate I am. This is a dream come true.

Unfortunately, as close as I've now come, I'm fearful that it will be forever out of reach because of a medical condition. I have proteinuria and that's one of the things that can get you disqualified (I take completely precautionary medicine that keeps the numbers in the acceptable range but I still think that will raise red flags). It's completely benign but everything I've read emphasizes how hard waivers are to come by. Especially with equally qualified alternates ready and waiting.

I'm putting together all necessary documentation and a letter from my doctors as I wait to meet with my recruiter. I know no one can tell me what's going to happen at MEPS (if I even get there). I'm mostly just venting because more than anything I feel foolish for thinking this could happen. I realize it may be still possible for me but the chances are significantly lower now.

Is there anything I can do to put myself in a better position for MEPS? While I understand the strategy, I'm not lying about the condition and will be disclosing.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: For future applicants, here are my stats: T1, top 20%, junior editor for primary law review, research assistant, and 4 solid recs.


I'm really sorry to hear this, NavyJagHopeful. I really hope it works out for you because you obviously have what it takes! I wish I had better advice, but when I went through med processing, my accessions officer was really supportive and told me that should anything happen, she'd help me in applying for a waiver right away. I ended up qualifying with no issues, but it made me feel loads better knowing someone would really fight to keep me. I can only imagine there'd be similar support on your side! Hope it all works out, and best of luck!


Thank you, I appreciate it. I hope my recruiter is as supportive as yours but I know some aren't that helpful (as evidenced by people's post in this thread). And congrats on getting qualified!

User avatar
Esquire
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Esquire » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Anonnymous wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this? http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-23410436

Will it affect Army JAG applicants? How about newly-commissioned Army JAGs?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks. I wish everyone the best during these times.

It doesn't affect Army JAGs. Yet. USAF JAGs are getting axed.

Anonnymous
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 pm

.

Postby Anonnymous » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:33 pm

.
Last edited by Anonnymous on Thu May 29, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: Military Law

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Anonnymous wrote:
Esquire wrote:
Anonnymous wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this? http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-23410436

Will it affect Army JAG applicants? How about newly-commissioned Army JAGs?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks. I wish everyone the best during these times.

It doesn't affect Army JAGs. Yet. USAF JAGs are getting axed.


Thanks. Any hunches or word through the grapevine whether Army JAGs could get axed anytime soon?



From what I heard this summer, Army JAG didn't expand as much during the wars as the other branches of the Army so they don't have as big of an issue. For the time being, I was told that most of the reduction is likely going to happen through fewer acceptances.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Rotor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:16 pm

As a guy who went through the force reductions of the 1990s, the only advice I can offer is keep your nose to the grindstone and keep doing the best job you can. When cuts come, you want to be a top performer so that you're more likely to be retained by the continuation boards.

You also have an advantage that many of my friends in the 1990s did not have-- Academy grads no longer graduate with an active commission (4 year ROTC scholarship types may have also received an active commission, but I'm not sure on that). When the cuts came in the early-mid 90s, those who were USNR were the first to be cut, even if they were better officers than the active USN types that came up for rotation. (Case in point-- a stellar USNR I deployed with on my first cruise got cut, while a USN officer who was being prosecuted for spousal abuse was retained. Yes, still bitter 21 years later....)

You're always going to do your best anyway, but use the motivation maybe to go that extra mile. Of course, do not back-stab...that never works out for the person holding the knife. Teamwork is what service is all about. But, I am reminded of the joke about the two guys on the Serengeti a cheetah is stalking them when Guy A puts on his running shoes. Guy B says "Cheetahs are the fastest land mammals on the planet. Those shoes aren't going to help you outrun the cheetah." Guy A replies: I don't have to outrun the cheetah. I just have to outrun you!" :-)

AFJAG2014
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 am

Re: Military Law

Postby AFJAG2014 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Rotor wrote:Of course, do not back-stab...that never works out for the person holding the knife. Teamwork is what service is all about.


If there's one thing I've learned it's that you should always look out for your fellow wingman/sailor/marine/soldier. That really is what it's all about and if you do that, you'll be fine.

armyhooah
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Military Law

Postby armyhooah » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:04 pm

AFJAG2014 wrote:
Rotor wrote:Of course, do not back-stab...that never works out for the person holding the knife. Teamwork is what service is all about.


If there's one thing I've learned it's that you should always look out for your fellow wingman/sailor/marine/soldier. That really is what it's all about and if you do that, you'll be fine.


So much this.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:13 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:From what I heard this summer, Army JAG didn't expand as much during the wars as the other branches of the Army so they don't have as big of an issue. For the time being, I was told that most of the reduction is likely going to happen through fewer acceptances.


The problem with accepting fewer people is you create a weird accordion effect with respect to the overall population. My hunch, based on the military as a whole, is that new accessions will be relatively unaffected, but retention will be slowed. So you might get accepted and serve an initial four years, but then not be retained/promoted to O4.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby maxpayne » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 am

Esquire wrote:
Anonnymous wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this? http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-23410436

Will it affect Army JAG applicants? How about newly-commissioned Army JAGs?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks. I wish everyone the best during these times.

It doesn't affect Army JAGs. Yet. USAF JAGs are getting axed.
howell wrote:
Anonnymous wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this? http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-23410436

Will it affect Army JAG applicants? How about newly-commissioned Army JAGs?

From the Air Force side, the most recent year groups are usually excluded from cuts. That doesn't prevent further cuts in 2-3 that would affect JAGs that have just come on board, though.


The selection below was posted over at airforceots.com and is quite relevant to the above discussion regarding the Air Force....

...........

"Also going on at JAX is their dealing with the massive force reduction programs that are hitting the JAG Corps. There are a lot of officers up for involuntary separation, a lot of officers suddenly eligible for early retirement, and a lot of officers suddenly eligible for an early voluntary separation. In terms of personnel, this is dogs living with cats, mass hysteria.

This is obviously a huge time suck, independent of anything else. This all impacts accessions as well though, as our end force strength is changing, which may be impacting how many new people come on and where they will be assigned. Additionally, whenever people leave the JAG Corps unexpectedly, that creates a ripple effect in assignments - a Colonel retires earlier than expected, which forces a Lt Col to step into that position, which means another Lt Col has to PCS to backfill that first Lt Col, and a Major now is filling in for the PCS'd Lt Col, etc, etc, etc. Eventually, Captain types are getting moved around earlier, which means there may be more or less slots down at the base legal offices.

Then you throw in the force shaping boards which will be involuntary separating 5%-30% (or if you believe the latest figures from AFPC for my captain year group, 66%) of O-3s, that also obviously has a big impact on planning for new accessions."

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm

maxpayne wrote:The selection below was posted over at airforceots.com and is quite relevant to the above discussion regarding the Air Force....

...........

"Also going on at JAX is their dealing with the massive force reduction programs that are hitting the JAG Corps. There are a lot of officers up for involuntary separation, a lot of officers suddenly eligible for early retirement, and a lot of officers suddenly eligible for an early voluntary separation. In terms of personnel, this is dogs living with cats, mass hysteria.

This is obviously a huge time suck, independent of anything else. This all impacts accessions as well though, as our end force strength is changing, which may be impacting how many new people come on and where they will be assigned. Additionally, whenever people leave the JAG Corps unexpectedly, that creates a ripple effect in assignments - a Colonel retires earlier than expected, which forces a Lt Col to step into that position, which means another Lt Col has to PCS to backfill that first Lt Col, and a Major now is filling in for the PCS'd Lt Col, etc, etc, etc. Eventually, Captain types are getting moved around earlier, which means there may be more or less slots down at the base legal offices.

Then you throw in the force shaping boards which will be involuntary separating 5%-30% (or if you believe the latest figures from AFPC for my captain year group, 66%) of O-3s, that also obviously has a big impact on planning for new accessions."


66%?!?! Wtf? I bet that group has some of the best JAGs in the Air Force, given the competitiveness of the applications during the peak application time.

DukeBowl
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby DukeBowl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Has anyone doing the AF summer internship heard from their respective bases about start dates?

estrnbluebird
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby estrnbluebird » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:37 pm

DukeBowl wrote:Has anyone doing the AF summer internship heard from their respective bases about start dates?



I emailed today and was told I would hear back by the end of the week if not sooner.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:19 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
maxpayne wrote:The selection below was posted over at airforceots.com and is quite relevant to the above discussion regarding the Air Force....

...........

"Also going on at JAX is their dealing with the massive force reduction programs that are hitting the JAG Corps. There are a lot of officers up for involuntary separation, a lot of officers suddenly eligible for early retirement, and a lot of officers suddenly eligible for an early voluntary separation. In terms of personnel, this is dogs living with cats, mass hysteria.

This is obviously a huge time suck, independent of anything else. This all impacts accessions as well though, as our end force strength is changing, which may be impacting how many new people come on and where they will be assigned. Additionally, whenever people leave the JAG Corps unexpectedly, that creates a ripple effect in assignments - a Colonel retires earlier than expected, which forces a Lt Col to step into that position, which means another Lt Col has to PCS to backfill that first Lt Col, and a Major now is filling in for the PCS'd Lt Col, etc, etc, etc. Eventually, Captain types are getting moved around earlier, which means there may be more or less slots down at the base legal offices.

Then you throw in the force shaping boards which will be involuntary separating 5%-30% (or if you believe the latest figures from AFPC for my captain year group, 66%) of O-3s, that also obviously has a big impact on planning for new accessions."


66%?!?! Wtf? I bet that group has some of the best JAGs in the Air Force, given the competitiveness of the applications during the peak application time.


As the OP from that other forum post: That 66% figure is the latest from AFPC but everyone within the JAG Corps expects that to get reduced significantly. Cutting 50 from a group of 75 that will be meeting our Major's board next year is so crazy that no one actually believes it will happen. I fully expect my year group to get cut, but probably more in the 10%-20% range. Still significant but obviously a different ball game.

I was just using that is an illustration why JAX is a very busy directorate right now and to remain patient in respect to the April DAP Board, internship stuff, etc.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.