Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: Military Law

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Do any of the current JAGs know how loan repayment works during the waiting period after graduation but before training starts? I think I'll be looking at a five month wait at the minimum. Should I just tell my servicer that I am unemployed and therefore making no money in order to not have a loan obligation? Or is there a way to defer? What is the timeline for doing all of this? right after graduation? right after bar?

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:12 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Do any of the current JAGs know how loan repayment works during the waiting period after graduation but before training starts? I think I'll be looking at a five month wait at the minimum. Should I just tell my servicer that I am unemployed and therefore making no money in order to not have a loan obligation? Or is there a way to defer? What is the timeline for doing all of this? right after graduation? right after bar?

Hmm... Well I only took out subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and they allow a 6 month grace period without interest building up. I was unemployed for much longer than that, and when I found out I was accepted but wouldn't be active till June, I called up the loan servicer and told them that. And they told me the best they could do is a forbearance, not a deferment, because I was technically "employed" and not actively searching for employment. It was weird, but anyway, yeah. 6 month grace period after graduation and then forbear (which unfortunately means accrued interest) if you need more time. Good luck this last bit of school, on exams, and the bar! It'll be great!

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I got my call for the 2L Air Force JAG internship today! I'll be interning at Scott AFB, Ill.

lumberjack12

Postby lumberjack12 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Rambo152 wrote:I got my call for the 2L Air Force JAG internship today! I'll be interning at Scott AFB, Ill.

Congratulations Rambo! Was this the internship through the USA Jobs (Temp GS-9) posting or a separate (base specific) hiring?

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:03 pm

lumberjack12 wrote:
Rambo152 wrote:I got my call for the 2L Air Force JAG internship today! I'll be interning at Scott AFB, Ill.

Congratulations Rambo! Was this the internship through the USA Jobs (Temp GS-9) posting or a separate (base specific) hiring?

Thanks! It was the official USA Jobs (Temp GS-9) Posting.

rtb2008x

Postby rtb2008x » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Rambo152 wrote:
lumberjack12 wrote:

Thanks! It was the official USA Jobs (Temp GS-9) Posting.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? (school tier/class rank/softs)

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:06 pm

rtb2008x wrote:Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? (school tier/class rank/softs)

No problem.
My law school is just outside of the top 100.
Top 25% of my class
Primary law journal, Trial Ad. Board, Military Justice Society
CALI award for evidence
Currently in the Air Force Reserve, 7years: TSGT, one deployment to the AOR.
My personal statement harped on my prior service and my desire to join the JAG corps.

I think what helped me out most for the internship was law journal and my prior service; especially in light of the 5 pt. veteran's preference for deployment.

I hope I'm not the only one here who got a call. I imagine there are more to come.
I also applied for the April DAP board (I graduate in December). This internship gives me some hope, at least for Oct/Dec.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 pm

Rambo152 wrote:
rtb2008x wrote:Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? (school tier/class rank/softs)

No problem.
My law school is just outside of the top 100.
Top 25% of my class
Primary law journal, Trial Ad. Board, Military Justice Society
CALI award for evidence
Currently in the Air Force Reserve, 7years: TSGT, one deployment to the AOR.
My personal statement harped on my prior service and my desire to join the JAG corps.

I think what helped me out most for the internship was law journal and my prior service; especially in light of the 5 pt. veteran's preference for deployment.

I hope I'm not the only one here who got a call. I imagine there are more to come.
I also applied for the April DAP board (I graduate in December). This internship gives me some hope, at least for Oct/Dec.

Congrats on getting picked up for the internship. If the internship goes well you should be very competitive for a commission.

Scott will be a great opportunity for you - if the legal office will let you, do your best to get out of base legal and interact with the JAGs at the different commands. There is a TON of stuff at Scott: local ADC office, 618th AOC, 18th Air Force, AMC, TRANSCOM - all unique missions with JAGs throughout.

cc8922

Postby cc8922 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 am

Like Rambo, I was offered and just accepted the Air Force JAG Paid Internship this morning.

I am hoping to work at Scott AFB as well and had already set up an Externship with the 375 AMW Legal Office at Scott in the event that I didn't get the paid Internship. Have not heard about a placement yet. Rambo, did they tell you where you were going to be placed on the phone?

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:58 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:Congrats on getting picked up for the internship. If the internship goes well you should be very competitive for a commission.

Scott will be a great opportunity for you - if the legal office will let you, do your best to get out of base legal and interact with the JAGs at the different commands. There is a TON of stuff at Scott: local ADC office, 618th AOC, 18th Air Force, AMC, TRANSCOM - all unique missions with JAGs throughout.

Thanks, PB! I didn't realize Scott had that much going on. I am looking forward to this internship and I'll be sure to try to make the best of it.

cc8922 wrote:Like Rambo, I was offered and just accepted the Air Force JAG Paid Internship this morning.

I am hoping to work at Scott AFB as well and had already set up an Externship with the 375 AMW Legal Office at Scott in the event that I didn't get the paid Internship. Have not heard about a placement yet. Rambo, did they tell you where you were going to be placed on the phone?

They told me over the phone where I was to be placed but they did not tell me when I would start. Scott was actually my 3rd preference and I was wondering why they chose to send me there over Keesler or Dobbins.

cc8922

Postby cc8922 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:47 pm

Rambo152 wrote:
They told me over the phone where I was to be placed but they did not tell me when I would start. Scott was actually my 3rd preference and I was wondering why they chose to send me there over Keesler or Dobbins.

Well congratulations! Downtown St. Louis is only about 20 minutes from Scott, so you won't have trouble finding a place to live or things to do. I'll let you know if I end up there as well.

coffee282

Postby coffee282 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 pm

also got the call for Airforce internship today! I was super surprised but am super happy!!

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Congratulations to everyone who has heard back positively about AF internships! For those who didn't, don't give up!!

wedge96

Postby wedge96 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 pm

armyhooah wrote:Congratulations to everyone who has heard back positively about AF internships! For those who didn't, don't give up!!

Ditto. I was not selected for any internships (Army, Air Force, or Navy) then volunteer-interned at a base legal office. But I was picked up for my first eligible Air Force selection board. Keep the faith.

wedge96

Postby wedge96 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 am

JDdrummer89 wrote:Hi all, I'm a 2L who's pretty new to this thread but it seems like a fantastic resource for JAG. I'm 0/1 Navy so far but plan to apply again. Congrats to everyone selected for all branches this round!

I have a question about grades: my 1L grades were all fine, but this semester I really bombed my evidence exam and came out with a C-. I managed to get an A in every other class (so I think my overall GPA will actually go up), but I am really worried that the C- will stick out as a black mark on my transcript. I have already contacted my professor and plan to talk with him about the exam and what I can do to improve. Any advice on how much one C- will hurt my JAG chances?

I was in a similar situation where I had all As except for one bad grade my second year. My GPA went up and it continued to do so but my interviewing SJA asked about the bad grade in detail. My advice would be to have a good explanation for it and show that you have learned from it.

JDdrummer89

Postby JDdrummer89 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:26 am

wedge96 wrote:
JDdrummer89 wrote:Hi all, I'm a 2L who's pretty new to this thread but it seems like a fantastic resource for JAG. I'm 0/1 Navy so far but plan to apply again. Congrats to everyone selected for all branches this round!

I have a question about grades: my 1L grades were all fine, but this semester I really bombed my evidence exam and came out with a C-. I managed to get an A in every other class (so I think my overall GPA will actually go up), but I am really worried that the C- will stick out as a black mark on my transcript. I have already contacted my professor and plan to talk with him about the exam and what I can do to improve. Any advice on how much one C- will hurt my JAG chances?

I was in a similar situation where I had all As except for one bad grade my second year. My GPA went up and it continued to do so but my interviewing SJA asked about the bad grade in detail. My advice would be to have a good explanation for it and show that you have learned from it.

Thanks for the advice, wedge. I ended up getting internship offers for this summer from Navy and AF, so I guess it's not as big a deal as I was imagining it would be. If I am ever asked about it, I'll just be completely honest.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

For anyone waiting for AF April DAP results, now is the time that we can realistically start expecting calls to go out. Applicants started getting calls for the April 2013 Board exactly a year ago today. So, my safe guess is that we will know something within the next three weeks.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:02 pm

maxpayne wrote:For anyone waiting for AF April DAP results, now is the time that we can realistically start expecting calls to go out. Applicants started getting calls for the April 2013 Board exactly a year ago today. So, my safe guess is that we will know something within the next three weeks.

Anyone know how it works for the other services? Do they just update their online applications at the same time or do they also call DAP selectees?

Rambo152

Postby Rambo152 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from Air Force JAG for the Summer Internship after the initial call?
They told me in the initial call that I would be at Scott, but they didn't tell me what dates I would be clerking.
I might have a conflict this summer based on my annual tour with my reserve unit (which is 600 miles away from Scott). I'd like to resolve this conflict soon, so as not to screw up my internship if I have to leave for 15 days in the middle of the summer.
Instead of waiting, should I just call 375AEW/JA directly, or call JAX?

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Hey all, for those waiting to hear back from the Navy JAG Student Program February board, I think selections have been made. I just received an email notifying me that I was professionally recommended. Good luck to all those waiting to hear!

cc8922

Postby cc8922 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Rambo152 wrote:Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from Air Force JAG for the Summer Internship after the initial call?
They told me in the initial call that I would be at Scott, but they didn't tell me what dates I would be clerking.
I might have a conflict this summer based on my annual tour with my reserve unit (which is 600 miles away from Scott). I'd like to resolve this conflict soon, so as not to screw up my internship if I have to leave for 15 days in the middle of the summer.
Instead of waiting, should I just call 375AEW/JA directly, or call JAX?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I got the initial call on April 17, but wasn't told where I was to be placed or when I would start. I would like to know soon so I can figure out my living situation etc. If I don't hear anything by April 25, I plan on giving JAX a call.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:02 pm

I just got an email that I have been selected as an alternate for the Navy. I would have given anything for this a year ago, but I took a job in a DA's office over spring break. JAG was the reason I came to law school, so it's really hard to turn down a shot, but I think I will have to. For future reference: T25, top 10%, moot court, applied all 4 times to the Navy and got in on my last one, worked for judges my 1L summer and a firm my 2L summer, awful letters of rec, lots of student org leadership including a military law students association. Better luck to future applicants.

DEG1989

Postby DEG1989 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:03 pm

I just got an email from the Navy. I was professionally recommended as an alternate. Anyone have any idea what my chances are for a commission? Thanks and best of luck to everyone.

arial19

Postby arial19 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Professionally Recommended for the Navy! So incredibly excited as this was my 4th time applying! For those who stalk this page like I have the past two years: Tier 1 school, Top 50%, Mock Trial w/ leadership, study abroad summer after my 1L, interned w/ the Navy summer after my 2L. Great recs from my internship and I'm certain this is what pushed me over the edge. Good luck to all those still trying, don't give up!

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:48 pm

DEG1989 wrote:I just got an email from the Navy. I was professionally recommended as an alternate. Anyone have any idea what my chances are for a commission? Thanks and best of luck to everyone.

I received the same email and just got off the phone with the Accessions Officer. He was careful not to get my hopes up, but from what I understand based on his description, our odds are pretty good to get a final selection letter sometime within the next year. First, you must go through the entire process to prepare for commissioning. If you complete all of these steps successfully, you are then added to a wait list (in order of who completes the requirements first). You then remain on this list for the entire fiscal year, and when professionally recommended applicants drop out for any reason at all, the next person up on the list takes their spot. Last year all alternates were used, so this year they picked up more than usual.

If any Navy JAGs out there can confirm or correct my understanding of the process or would be willing to share their experience, I'm sure we would all greatly appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment”