Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby maxpayne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I wonder if this will affect selection rates this year for AF JAG hopefuls....

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-to-convene-force-shaping-board-in-july-to-cut-officers-1.267710

"WASHINGTON — The Air Force will convene a force-shaping board July 14 to consider eligible officers for involuntary separation, according to an Air Force Personnel Center memo obtained by Stars and Stripes.

Competitive categories for separation include line of the Air Force (LAF), judge advocate, biomedical sciences corps, dental corps, medical service corps and nurse corps, according to AFPC.

LAF is a competitive promotion category which includes all officers except chaplains, judge advocates and all medical corps officers.

The board will affect the following active duty personnel:
■ LAF captains and first lieutenants in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 accession year groups.
Judge advocates with a Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec. 31, 2011 date of rank to captain.
■ Lieutenant colonels and lower-ranking officers in the competitive medical categories in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 accession groups.

Officers who are not selected for retention must separate by the end of this year."

aike
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby aike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm

maxpayne wrote:
Not yet. Just finished rounding up all my letters of rec and updating my resume and motivational statement. Getting my picture taken this week and then my interview is next week. Then it is time to sit and wait for the 4th time. lol.


Good luck! Hopefully we'll both find good news at the end of April!

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:20 pm

maxpayne wrote:I wonder if this will affect selection rates this year for AF JAG hopefuls....

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force-to-convene-force-shaping-board-in-july-to-cut-officers-1.267710

"WASHINGTON — The Air Force will convene a force-shaping board July 14 to consider eligible officers for involuntary separation, according to an Air Force Personnel Center memo obtained by Stars and Stripes.

Competitive categories for separation include line of the Air Force (LAF), judge advocate, biomedical sciences corps, dental corps, medical service corps and nurse corps, according to AFPC.

LAF is a competitive promotion category which includes all officers except chaplains, judge advocates and all medical corps officers.

The board will affect the following active duty personnel:
■ LAF captains and first lieutenants in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 accession year groups.
Judge advocates with a Jan. 1, 2009 to Dec. 31, 2011 date of rank to captain.
■ Lieutenant colonels and lower-ranking officers in the competitive medical categories in the 2009, 2010 and 2011 accession groups.

Officers who are not selected for retention must separate by the end of this year."


The RIF and Force Shaping Boards will not directly impact new accessions. Each AFSC is broken down by year group to determine if they are "overmanned" based on one's Captain Year Group (CYG), e.g., 2009 JAGs, 2010 Civil Engineers, etc. This is to meet new and significantly lower Congressionally mandated end strength numbers for each of the services.

Is it possible that the JAG Corps ends up taking less new accessions as a part of this? Sure. That said, they can't simply cut out all the new people because that leaves a obvious gap for the upcoming year groups. While it is far off, we need 2016 and 2017 CYGs to eventually move up the food chain as older officers retire and separate.

Those in my JAG CYG of 2009 and also 2010 are posed to lose a whole lot of bodies. Some folks are eligible for a voluntary separation and will take money in return for getting out. Others have some negative paperwork in their file that will make them an easy kill for the boards to involuntarily separate. After that, it comes down to things like your performance report ratings, deployments, medals, etc. I have no doubt that some talented folks may get caught up in the boards and forced out.

It is not just the Captains that are facing this; the draw down impacts all the Field Grade ranks as well - the article does not address this because there are actually like six different types of boards and separation programs going on simultaneously that all have different names and apply to the different ranks.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby maxpayne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 pm

@ P-Bateman: Thanks for the insight!

Also, regarding the online AF JAG application under Step 8 (Criminal History), am I reading it right? That you have to list even minor traffic violations? The question reads:

"Have you ever been involved, arrested, indicted, or convicted (including pretrial diversion) for any violations of civil or military law, including nonjudicial punishment pursuant to Article 15 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), or minor traffic violations?
(If yes, please explain below. List all offenses charged against you regardless of final disposition, including situations where the involvement has not been recorded locally or the record has been ordered sealed or expunged by the court.)

So, say I have one speeding ticket, I must list it? That's cool if I do, but usually applications say "excluding minor traffic offenses" not "including minor traffic offenses."

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone know how hard the 1L internships are to get?


Bumping this in case anyone has any thoughts.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby spleenworship » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone know how hard the 1L internships are to get?


Bumping this in case anyone has any thoughts.


Fairly hard. It isnt easy and you should work hard to make yourself an attractive candidate using tips in this thread.

That said, it's easier than being picked for JAG.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:55 am

maxpayne wrote:@ P-Bateman: Thanks for the insight!

Also, regarding the online AF JAG application under Step 8 (Criminal History), am I reading it right? That you have to list even minor traffic violations? The question reads:

"Have you ever been involved, arrested, indicted, or convicted (including pretrial diversion) for any violations of civil or military law, including nonjudicial punishment pursuant to Article 15 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), or minor traffic violations?
(If yes, please explain below. List all offenses charged against you regardless of final disposition, including situations where the involvement has not been recorded locally or the record has been ordered sealed or expunged by the court.)

So, say I have one speeding ticket, I must list it? That's cool if I do, but usually applications say "excluding minor traffic offenses" not "including minor traffic offenses."


My recommendation is to disclose. That question looks like they made a deliberate effort to make it as broad as possible. If there is ever any doubt, put it out there.

arpike
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby arpike » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:15 am

I am just about to start training for the Air Force JAG Corps. Its been a pretty bewildering process, so I've made a blog to help people understand it better than I have. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/

lawhaze
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby lawhaze » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am

arpike wrote:I am just about to start training for the Air Force JAG Corps. Its been a pretty bewildering process, so I've made a blog to help people understand it better than I have. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/


I think this will be a great resource for JAG hopefuls (assuming you keep it updated). I look forward to keeping up with it as you go through the process. Thank you, and good luck!

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

lawhaze wrote:
arpike wrote:I am just about to start training for the Air Force JAG Corps. Its been a pretty bewildering process, so I've made a blog to help people understand it better than I have. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/


I think this will be a great resource for JAG hopefuls (assuming you keep it updated). I look forward to keeping up with it as you go through the process. Thank you, and good luck!


I really appreciate this. So, you report to your base and wait for a spot at JASOC? Is that how it works?

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: Military Law

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 pm

arpike wrote:I am just about to start training for the Air Force JAG Corps. Its been a pretty bewildering process, so I've made a blog to help people understand it better than I have. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/


Great blog!

Just one minor thing: the amount forgiven from PSLF after 10 years is NOT taxable (you wrote that it is and I freaked out and had to check), so you might want to fix that just so people aren't confused. I think your blog will be a great resource.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
lawhaze wrote:
arpike wrote:I am just about to start training for the Air Force JAG Corps. Its been a pretty bewildering process, so I've made a blog to help people understand it better than I have. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/


I think this will be a great resource for JAG hopefuls (assuming you keep it updated). I look forward to keeping up with it as you go through the process. Thank you, and good luck!


I really appreciate this. So, you report to your base and wait for a spot at JASOC? Is that how it works?


Oh, wait. I see your post dealing with this. Interesting...

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

I remember reading earlier in the thread something about it being looked upon unfavorably if the photo of the applicant did not have a neutral background. Should the background be like a passport photo? I'm just a little confused on what the background should be. This is for AF JAG.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby spleenworship » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Puttanesca wrote:I remember reading earlier in the thread something about it being looked upon unfavorably if the photo of the applicant did not have a neutral background. Should the background be like a passport photo? I'm just a little confused on what the background should be. This is for AF JAG.


The background should be totally forgettable. A solid color, or multiple colors that don't conflict with each other, don't make a pattern, and don't represent anything. You should absolutely be the only thing worth looking at in that picture.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby maxpayne » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 pm

arpike wrote:I am just about to start training for the Air Force JAG Corps. Its been a pretty bewildering process, so I've made a blog to help people understand it better than I have. http://air-force-jag-journey.blogspot.com/


Awesome blog my man. Please keep it going!

BF0343
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby BF0343 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:08 pm

While we're on the topic of blogs, this is probably a fun read for those interested in the Army JAG Corps. The link below is the blog of someone from the 193rd JAOBC currently at DCC in Fort Benning, GA. There's a link to each week of training at the bottom of each page.

http://www.garrettham.com/blog/army-jag/

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby wvu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:34 pm

BF0343 wrote:While we're on the topic of blogs, this is probably a fun read for those interested in the Army JAG Corps. The link below is the blog of someone from the 193rd JAOBC currently at DCC in Fort Benning, GA. There's a link to each week of training at the bottom of each page.

http://www.garrettham.com/blog/army-jag/

This was great, thanks. It does make the Army program seem a bit less "mainstream Army" than I'd been led to believe it was.

HEAT3PEAT
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby HEAT3PEAT » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 pm

wvu wrote:
BF0343 wrote:While we're on the topic of blogs, this is probably a fun read for those interested in the Army JAG Corps. The link below is the blog of someone from the 193rd JAOBC currently at DCC in Fort Benning, GA. There's a link to each week of training at the bottom of each page.

http://www.garrettham.com/blog/army-jag/

This was great, thanks. It does make the Army program seem a bit less "mainstream Army" than I'd been led to believe it was.


Great blog. Significantly different from regular basic training and OCS in Benning. Thanks for insight.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby maxpayne » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Well, got my online AF DAP application submitted today, right after having my picture taken and getting it uploaded. My interview is next week. I must say, the layout of the new online AF application is very easy to navigate and for the most part, very clear and snag-free. Overall, very well put together for its first go-round. Maybe it will also bring with it a golden ticket for me on my 4th AF Board!

Also, I started a waiting thread over on airforceots.com for the 2014 April Dap Board. For anyone waiting for results, please feel free to join and post as well.

User avatar
BigJH18
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby BigJH18 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Based on the posts from the previous 2 years, today is the day the results of the February board for the GLP and OYCP are released. Can any current JAGs confirm if the results have been released? Also to fellow OYCP applicants, please post if you hear something to help everyone out with knowing if they are indeed released

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby pat4redick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:24 am

As a 2L, I can't do anything for the USAF but wait to apply to the DAP in October?

womeninblack
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby womeninblack » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 pm

pat4redick wrote:As a 2L, I can't do anything for the USAF but wait to apply to the DAP in October?


You can apply for the USAF summer internship. The application is at this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/361424100. I heard that getting selected for the internship can help your chances of getting selected for DAP.

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby pat4redick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:24 pm

womeninblack wrote:
pat4redick wrote:As a 2L, I can't do anything for the USAF but wait to apply to the DAP in October?


You can apply for the USAF summer internship. The application is at this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/361424100. I heard that getting selected for the internship can help your chances of getting selected for DAP.

Great, thanks!

harocutter
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:46 am

Re: Military Law

Postby harocutter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:28 pm

This forum is by far the most helpful and responsive forum I've seen on this site, thank you all for the great info. I have three questions

1) I'm applying for the USAF JAG Corps summer internship program. Anyone have any info on how difficult it is to be selected for the internship/ what they look for? Also, for those who have done the USAF internship, what did you think about it?

2) Does anyone know about the continuing education opportunities the JAG Corps provides? Specifically, the USAF or USN. I've heard that the military will pay for you to get an LLM at schools like the University of Virginia, I've also heard Harvard!? Can anyone provide any insight into how the continuing legal education program works?

3) What are the job opportunities available to JAG members after they leave JAG? Do big firms hire former JAG members? I know the USAO likes JAG members, and I would assume a DA's office would as well. Thank you.

joman8390
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby joman8390 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm

BigJH18 wrote:Based on the posts from the previous 2 years, today is the day the results of the February board for the GLP and OYCP are released. Can any current JAGs confirm if the results have been released? Also to fellow OYCP applicants, please post if you hear something to help everyone out with knowing if they are indeed released


Bump




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.