Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Malcolm1

Re: Military Law

Postby Malcolm1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm

I just saw this on a judge's OSCAR page:

This is an unpaid fellowship clerkship for attorneys or recent law graduates who are members of the active duty or reserve U.S. Armed Forces.

Applicants should make arrangements with the military or otherwise to provide for their basic pay and allowances during the clerkship. There will be no stipend or expenses provided by the Court.

Start and end dates are flexible, but applicants must be able to commit 4 days and 35 hours per week for no less than 5 continuous months.

Fellows will work in chambers with the Judge's term clerks and be assigned their own cases. Fellows can expect to write bench memoranda, draft opinions, and attend oral arguments and other court proceedings.

Cover letters should explain how the required or preferred criteria are met. Recommendation should be from your present or former commanding officer.

Has anyone heard of such a thing being done between the military and the courts? Or heard of anything similar to it?

I know that there are some who want to do federal judicial clerkships and JAG. Maybe things like this could be a good way?

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:27 pm

I was just browsing the AF JAG homepage to see if anything has changed and noticed that the application now appears to be online instead of the old process of bringing hard copies to the interviewing SJA. Has anyone here used the new system yet, and if so, does it involve uploading the same forms as previously used? Also, I'm curious if applicants will still need to bring any documentation to the interview. I have sent a request for a username/password to start an account, but I'm still waiting on a response.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm

DannyBoy31 wrote:I was just browsing the AF JAG homepage to see if anything has changed and noticed that the application now appears to be online instead of the old process of bringing hard copies to the interviewing SJA. Has anyone here used the new system yet, and if so, does it involve uploading the same forms as previously used? Also, I'm curious if applicants will still need to bring any documentation to the interview. I have sent a request for a username/password to start an account, but I'm still waiting on a response.

I would call JAX and see what the new SOP is. This is the very first board they are using the online system and I have not seen anything on the JAG side that explains this yet in detail (very likely that the SJAs and other folks in base legal leadership positions have something however).

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Malcolm1 wrote:I just saw this on a judge's OSCAR page:

This is an unpaid fellowship clerkship for attorneys or recent law graduates who are members of the active duty or reserve U.S. Armed Forces.

Applicants should make arrangements with the military or otherwise to provide for their basic pay and allowances during the clerkship. There will be no stipend or expenses provided by the Court.

Start and end dates are flexible, but applicants must be able to commit 4 days and 35 hours per week for no less than 5 continuous months.

Fellows will work in chambers with the Judge's term clerks and be assigned their own cases. Fellows can expect to write bench memoranda, draft opinions, and attend oral arguments and other court proceedings.

Cover letters should explain how the required or preferred criteria are met. Recommendation should be from your present or former commanding officer.

Has anyone heard of such a thing being done between the military and the courts? Or heard of anything similar to it?

I know that there are some who want to do federal judicial clerkships and JAG. Maybe things like this could be a good way?

This would be amazing. It is the first I have heard about about it - I'll keep you all posted if our assignments division at JAX publishes anything on this.

wvu

Postby wvu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 pm

AF internship page was updated to say the posting went on USAJOBS on January 28 but I haven't run across it yet. Anyone else seen it?

howell

Postby howell » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:26 pm

*snip*

What level of judge was this - district, COA, etc? Just curious if it's a random judge running around out there or if it's a CAAF judge.

Malcolm1

Postby Malcolm1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:50 pm

howell wrote:

*snip*

What level of judge was this - district, COA, etc? Just curious if it's a random judge running around out there or if it's a CAAF judge.

What's a CAAF judge?

It's public knowledge, so I'll just put it out there. It's a federal magistrate judge from the D. NJ.

Patrick Bateman wrote:This would be amazing. It is the first I have heard about about it - I'll keep you all posted if our assignments division at JAX publishes anything on this.

Thanks Pat Bateman. If you or any other people from other branches (Esquire, perhaps?) find out anymore about this, that would be fabulous.

wvu

Postby wvu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:12 am

Malcolm1 wrote:What's a CAAF judge?

U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 am

CAAF is the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. An Article I appellate court that is the second level (and almost always, final) of appellate review for courts-martial. CAAF is composed of Presidential civilian appointees for 15 year terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... med_Forces

Below CAAF, each of the services have their own Appellate Court: Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, Army CCA, Navy & Marine Corps CCA. The CCAs are composed of active duty and reserve judges, almost all O-6s, who usually have a lot of trial level and appellate practice in their backgrounds.

Each service has an Appellate Government and Appellate Defense Division (these are the Air Force names for the groups) that represent the appellant and the Government at both the CCAs & CAAF. The appellate positions tend to be senior captains and junior majors, almost always from a trial background (former Area Defense Counsel/Senior Trial Counsel in the AF).

wvu

Postby wvu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Air Force posted their intern announcements on USAJOBS just now.

2Ls: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/361424100

1Ls: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/361424200

toster19

Postby toster19 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm

what is a realistic wait time between submitting paperwork to MEPS and getting a response as to whether you can physical? I've heard a lot of different things. MEPS is required to respond withing 72 hours . . . but they rarely do. You have to be patient as you will wait for most things when dealing with the federal government . . . but you need to stay on top of the process.

Leontief

Postby Leontief » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Does anyone have any experience with MEPS vis a vis having an adderall prescription? That is, the question on the MEPS form asks if you have ever taken a medication to improve attention or focus. Does anyone have any insight into this? Expectations? I..uh... have a friend who wants to know.

UFlaw15

Postby UFlaw15 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Hey guys, another JAG hopeful here. I've been reading through the forum and it is extremely helpful. I have applied to both AF OYCP and Navy Student Program now. Hopefully some good news will come my (and you alls) way very soon!

aike

Postby aike » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Hey guys, I'm a 3rd time JAG applicant hopeful. I've been reading this forum for a long time and it's been very helpful along the way.

Anyways, I'm submitting my materials for the first time online and I'm at the stage of filling out my assignment preference sheet. I'm most interested in military justice - does anyone know if there is a particular base (or bases) that are especially good for military justice work? When I went in for my JAG interview last time around I was sitting with some of the captains and 1LTs and one of them was mentioning that they had previously worked in Phoenix and that there was a lot more military justice style work there. Does anyone have any insights as to which bases specialize in what (or, more specifically, which bases have strong military justice presences)?

Thanks!

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:31 pm

aike wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 3rd time JAG applicant hopeful. I've been reading this forum for a long time and it's been very helpful along the way.

Anyways, I'm submitting my materials for the first time online and I'm at the stage of filling out my assignment preference sheet. I'm most interested in military justice - does anyone know if there is a particular base (or bases) that are especially good for military justice work? When I went in for my JAG interview last time around I was sitting with some of the captains and 1LTs and one of them was mentioning that they had previously worked in Phoenix and that there was a lot more military justice style work there. Does anyone have any insights as to which bases specialize in what (or, more specifically, which bases have strong military justice presences)?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you are talking about Air Force JAG based on usage of "base" and the online application.

First off, the assignment preference sheet does not really matter during the application stage. You can update it with JAX down the road if you get accepted. This is exactly what I did - I got picked up for DAP in the beginning of my 3L and then submitted an updated sheet after I had taken the bar.

Your exact question has been previously discussed, with a poster actually listing the top Air Force Military Justice bases for that time frame.

Dig into the thread, use the search function.

aike

Postby aike » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks - I thought I had seen something like that before but I couldn't seem to get my hands on it through the search. I appreciate the response!

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 pm

aike wrote:Thanks - I thought I had seen something like that before but I couldn't seem to get my hands on it through the search. I appreciate the response!

I believe what you're looking for is on Page 189 of the thread about half way down.

aike

Postby aike » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 pm

I believe what you're looking for is on Page 189 of the thread about half way down.

Thank you!

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:23 am

Army 2L interns, the Army has spots for 50 of you. Bases are currently putting in their bids as to whether they want an intern.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Esquire wrote:Army 2L interns, the Army has spots for 50 of you. Bases are currently putting in their bids as to whether they want an intern.

Are they getting paid this year?

lawhaze

Postby lawhaze » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:22 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Are they getting paid this year?

Yes!

Esquire wrote:Army 2L interns, the Army has spots for 50 of you. Bases are currently putting in their bids as to whether they want an intern.

Any idea of how many interns Fort Campbell and Fort Bragg typically host, if any?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Anyone know how hard the 1L internships are to get?

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Anyone else applying for the AF April 2014 DAP Board? This will be my 4th attempt at selection.

aike

Postby aike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

maxpayne wrote:Anyone else applying for the AF April 2014 DAP Board? This will be my 4th attempt at selection.

I am also! 3rd attempt. Have you finished your online app yet?

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 pm

aike wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Anyone else applying for the AF April 2014 DAP Board? This will be my 4th attempt at selection.

I am also! 3rd attempt. Have you finished your online app yet?

Not yet. Just finished rounding up all my letters of rec and updating my resume and motivational statement. Getting my picture taken this week and then my interview is next week. Then it is time to sit and wait for the 4th time. lol.

Return to “Legal Employment”