Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
armyhooah

Re: Military Law

Postby armyhooah » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:36 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I think this has been asked theoretically before regarding the sequester, but for those selected for Army JAG, what are we supposed to do in between the time we graduate/pass the bar and the time JAOBC starts? It looks like it could be anywhere between five months and almost a year of wait time. Is any place going to hire for five months?

I'm hoping to be called sooner rather than later, but till then, I'm going to continue volunteering and probably do some charity work and tutor kids in the meantime. I'm looking at it as a really invaluable opportunity to spend some quailty time with my family and do things I would never really get the chance to do otherwise. Should be fun! Have a good time these next few months!

kbatik

Postby kbatik » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 am

Moves like JAGger wrote:Can anyone who's been through COT advise whether "The Hawk" is required reading for COT? I see it listed as required reading for other officer schools (OTS/BOT). http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/ ... k_2013.pdf

Would it be beneficial to memorize everything prior to COT? I'm leaving in a week for 14-02 COT. Anyone else here doing the same?

JAGer,

I will be at COT 14-02 as well. I am an non-prior service Reserve JAG officer. I have not seen anything suggesting The Hawk is required for COT. The COT website says the "OTS Manual 36-2604 provides all the necessary guidance to prepare you for the challenging training days ahead." I've given OTS Manual a quick read through in advance, but my understanding is that you are expected to digest the manual over the first few days of COT.

That being said, I will be printing and looking through The Hawk as it looks like it has a decent amount of background info that could be helpful.

Where are you coming from for COT? I'm driving down from Pittsburgh.

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:38 pm

kbatik wrote:
Moves like JAGger wrote:Can anyone who's been through COT advise whether "The Hawk" is required reading for COT? I see it listed as required reading for other officer schools (OTS/BOT). http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/ ... k_2013.pdf

Would it be beneficial to memorize everything prior to COT? I'm leaving in a week for 14-02 COT. Anyone else here doing the same?

JAGer,

I will be at COT 14-02 as well. I am an non-prior service Reserve JAG officer. I have not seen anything suggesting The Hawk is required for COT. The COT website says the "OTS Manual 36-2604 provides all the necessary guidance to prepare you for the challenging training days ahead." I've given OTS Manual a quick read through in advance, but my understanding is that you are expected to digest the manual over the first few days of COT.

That being said, I will be printing and looking through The Hawk as it looks like it has a decent amount of background info that could be helpful.

Where are you coming from for COT? I'm driving down from Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear I'm not the only one from TLS in the 14-02 class. I haven't seen any activity about it on the OTS forum.

I haven't decided whether I'm flying or driving from my location here in NY/CT. A road trip seems really appealing but so does the convenience of taking a commercial flight. Another consideration is the cost. I know that 3 days on the road will cost probably 3x more than flying, but I realize that we get reimbursed. I'm just not sure when :?

I hope to arrive the night before so I can unwind, grab a meal and maybe link up with some fellow classmates.

In any event, I look forward to meeting you. And here's to enjoying our last few days as private citizens :lol:

howell

Postby howell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't know of anyone in our COT class who read the Hawk ahead of time. They did try to make us memorize parts of it, and some of the things in there are themes and/or material you will see throughout COT, so it wouldn't hurt to read through it once or twice just to get familiar with it.

As far as driving/flying, certainly consider whether you will be staying for JASOC right after. You will be able to get a lot more use out of your car than at COT there. There will be people to get rides with at COT, and there are only a few times you'll really want/need to drive anywhere during your time there.

Overall, rest up before going, keep a positive attitude, know that you'll get through it, and work with your flight to get through any tough times. Also, never volunteer for anything. :D

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 pm

I realize the answer is probably "no" but... now that I've been selected, is there any benefit in contacting/making friends with/talking to the USAF ROTC detachment on main campus? Or would this just confuse them/waste their time and mine?

NAOBERJU

Postby NAOBERJU » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I think this has been asked theoretically before regarding the sequester, but for those selected for Army JAG, what are we supposed to do in between the time we graduate/pass the bar and the time JAOBC starts? It looks like it could be anywhere between five months and almost a year of wait time. Is any place going to hire for five months?

I took a clerkship with the District Attorney's Office. It has provided great experience. I'm handling trials on my own already. On a sidenote, ask to go to an earlier class. Originally, last years selects were split into four classes, with the last class being Jan 2015. I had a friend who was initially scheduled to be in the Jan 2015 class. She was unhappy about it and requested to be moved up. They moved her to the October class. They then moved her to the June class and now she is heading out in a week because she was bumped up again to the Jan 2014 class. I was scheduled for the June class. I did not request anything and I am still in the June class. If I knew that it would have made such a difference, I would have requested an earlier date.

Good Luck!

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:I realize the answer is probably "no" but... now that I've been selected, is there any benefit in contacting/making friends with/talking to the USAF ROTC detachment on main campus? Or would this just confuse them/waste their time and mine?

Yes, there is. Get in shape, learn about the Air Force.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 am

Esquire wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I realize the answer is probably "no" but... now that I've been selected, is there any benefit in contacting/making friends with/talking to the USAF ROTC detachment on main campus? Or would this just confuse them/waste their time and mine?

So, like, call them up and ask to talk to the commander or the XO and just explain my situation (once the packet finally arrives in the mail)?

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Esquire wrote:

So, like, call them up and ask to talk to the commander or the XO and just explain my situation (once the packet finally arrives in the mail)?

I don't think there's any need to wait on your welcome packet. You know you're in and that you'll be going sometime. I think Esquire simply meant it would be a good idea to go ahead and meet people and get involved in Air Force life as soon as you can. Just swing by the ROTC office or e-mail the contact person and introduce yourself. No need to ask for the commanding officer or anything serious, IMO.

HEAT3PEAT

Postby HEAT3PEAT » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Anyone have any info on the summer internship program? Are they waiting for funding to find out how many people they will select or is it about interns not getting paid at all ?

so ambivalent

Postby so ambivalent » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:14 am

i got selected for army jag active duty a few weeks ago but have not received anything like an email or an info packet about how much time i have to make my decision and who to notify and what steps to take now. my interviewing officer just called and emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know i was accepted and said i'd get a package in the mail. is anyone else waiting on those or know when we have to decide by and what the process is from here?

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 am

so ambivalent wrote:i got selected for army jag active duty a few weeks ago but have not received anything like an email or an info packet about how much time i have to make my decision and who to notify and what steps to take now. my interviewing officer just called and emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know i was accepted and said i'd get a package in the mail. is anyone else waiting on those or know when we have to decide by and what the process is from here?

Are you a 3L? If you have yet to pass the bar, the soonest they'd place you in a class is by October, so the 195th JAOBC. The 193rd is starting in about a week, so I would imagine they are really busy putting things for that and the 194th class together (the one starting in June).

I read somewhere on JARO that the packets will not be mailed out until late January. I would wait till mid-February or so to hear anything if you are still in law school currently.

BF0343

Postby BF0343 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 am

so ambivalent wrote:i got selected for army jag active duty a few weeks ago but have not received anything like an email or an info packet about how much time i have to make my decision and who to notify and what steps to take now. my interviewing officer just called and emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know i was accepted and said i'd get a package in the mail. is anyone else waiting on those or know when we have to decide by and what the process is from here?

I was selected as well. As far as I know, we'll receive information packets via regular mail later this month.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:03 am

Would a "business basics" and income taxation classes be wise to take as a future JA? I know a lot of JAs have to deal with family finance issues, but is it sufficient to justify these classes? Base tax centers? Also , I don't have a business background but I feel like any sort of law might benefit from having a baseline business savvy.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:44 pm

MarineLaw wrote:Would a "business basics" and income taxation classes be wise to take as a future JA? I know a lot of JAs have to deal with family finance issues, but is it sufficient to justify these classes? Base tax centers? Also , I don't have a business background but I feel like any sort of law might benefit from having a baseline business savvy.

Take the law school classes you want to take. You'll get plenty of instruction and reference material when you're a JA.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 pm

HEAT3PEAT wrote:Anyone have any info on the summer internship program? Are they waiting for funding to find out how many people they will select or is it about interns not getting paid at all ?

They just posted this on the facebook page:

** WARNO ** WARNO **
RE: 2014 U.S. Army JAG Corps Summer Internship Program

Due to continued uncertainties with the Federal budget, we are not currently able to make final selections for the 2014 U.S. Army JAG Corps Summer Internship Program until congressional appropriations are finalized. We are hopeful that we will be able to make our selection and send out the offers by the end of this month, JAN 2014. Please stand by. We will publish the results as soon as we are able.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 pm

MarineLaw wrote:Would a "business basics" and income taxation classes be wise to take as a future JA? I know a lot of JAs have to deal with family finance issues, but is it sufficient to justify these classes? Base tax centers? Also , I don't have a business background but I feel like any sort of law might benefit from having a baseline business savvy.

Agreed with Esquire.

I'm not sure if you are using JA in the Army sense or just generally but from an Air Force perspective, I would not go out of my way to take any business law/tax classes just for the sake of being a JAG.

Most of the "finance" issues I dealt with while suffering through legal assistance would involve a junior enlisted troop who bought a fully loaded Mustang through one of the shady dealerships outside the base at 14% interest. For the more complex topics, like bankruptcy, short sales, and the like, we had plenty of instruction. My office brought in local civilian practitioners that specialized in that area for our weekly training in addition to Webcasts from AFJAGS.

Further, you will not be doing legal assistance all the time. For the Air Force, legal assistance is just a portion of your work week, and once you leave base legal around the 4 year mark, you will stop doing it all together (until you return as a Deputy SJA).

Second_Law

Postby Second_Law » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:17 am

Have any Air Force DA selects been able to get in touch with the POC at JAX? I was an October select, and I've left a couple voice mails and emails but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure he's very busy, and I'm a 3L, so it's not like I could go to COT right away or anything. I just wanted to make sure I haven't missed any deadlines or anything.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 am

Not AF, but the military is a big organization. They won't forget about you, but they also will not likely be as responsive as you would like.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Second_Law wrote:Have any Air Force DA selects been able to get in touch with the POC at JAX? I was an October select, and I've left a couple voice mails and emails but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure he's very busy, and I'm a 3L, so it's not like I could go to COT right away or anything. I just wanted to make sure I haven't missed any deadlines or anything.

A friend of mine is an October select and he just had his interview call. Seems like things are going pretty slow.

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Second_Law wrote:Have any Air Force DA selects been able to get in touch with the POC at JAX? I was an October select, and I've left a couple voice mails and emails but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure he's very busy, and I'm a 3L, so it's not like I could go to COT right away or anything. I just wanted to make sure I haven't missed any deadlines or anything.

A friend of mine is an October select and he just had his interview call. Seems like things are going pretty slow.

I'm a 3L October select, and I'm scheduled to go to MEPS this week.
By interview call, do you mean the initial call to the POC at JAX?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 pm

womeninblack wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I'm a 3L October select, and I'm scheduled to go to MEPS this week.
By interview call, do you mean the initial call to the POC at JAX?

Yes.

howell

Postby howell » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:29 pm

It looks like the AF will be going to an electronic submission system. The first DAP board with the new system will be the April one. It should be available in about a week.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 am

I was selected Navy JAG and I am looking around for a bar exam to take. Any idea what Bar exam would give the most latitude in regards to reciprocity/ admittance in other states? Just looking to keep my options open and take a bar with as little state law as possible. Thanks.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 am

Not exactly on point, but I would consider when the bar results are released. Typically, the Navy has a Justice class starting in October and in January. If you results come out on or before October 1, you have a much better chance of attending the October class, otherwise you have to wait around for a few more months.

Return to “Legal Employment”