Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Black Hat

Re: Military Law

Postby Black Hat » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:37 pm

ouhkn wrote:Thanks for the thread, everyone--very informative. I have a question I have not seen answered yet. I'm a current 3L who summered with a biglaw firm last summer and received and accepted their offer. However, for a variety of reasons, I'd really like to apply for the JAG Corps. I'd prefer to keep my firm out of the loop on this for obvious reasons. Does anyone know if recruiters contact your past employers in the application process?

They may, they may not. I don't think anyone here is going to be able to tell you definitely whether it is part of the recruiters SOP. They may tell you their experiences but then that is hardly definitive or reliable. You may get one "gung ho" recruiter who wants to talk to your past employers to determine your resolve/work ethic/personality/discipline etc.

Is it common to continue to apply places after accepting offers? That is not a rhetorical question, I really am curious. If it isn't, continuing to apply places against that custom may be deceitful and may have negative ramifications. I wouldn't risk a solid job offer to apply for a potential job on the word of a bunch of people on a internet forum. We have nothing to lose by giving you bad advice.

But that is me, err on the side of caution, or don't. Seems like a definite risk though.

If I were interviewing you for Jag, I would definitely want to talk to your prior employers because I wouldn't want someone to get in who was garbage, had no discipline or bad work ethic. (I am prior military, my line of thinking may be similar to recruiters, it may not. I am not a recruiter!).

howell

Postby howell » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:32 am

ouhkn wrote:Thanks for the thread, everyone--very informative. I have a question I have not seen answered yet. I'm a current 3L who summered with a biglaw firm last summer and received and accepted their offer. However, for a variety of reasons, I'd really like to apply for the JAG Corps. I'd prefer to keep my firm out of the loop on this for obvious reasons. Does anyone know if recruiters contact your past employers in the application process?

I'm not aware of the AF calling previous/current employers at any point during the application process. Can it happen? I guess it would be possible, but it would be extremely unlikely. The way the selection process works, there's just no way they're going to be calling employers. For the AF side, you could call JAX just to verify that it's not their current process to do so.

If you get selected, you have to go through a background check. I don't think they could ever tell you that they won't be calling somebody for the check, but I don't think they contact many employers at all for this level of clearance. When I got selected, I did not want my employer at the time to know, and, as I far as I know, they never found out until I told them I was leaving.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 am

For Navy/marines, your best bet is to tell the recruiter/OSO why you would prefer they not contact your employer and get their take on it. I think that's a pretty reasonable request. Your clearance process will require verification that you worked there, but that won't happen until way farther along in the process--so far that you will have already begun your tumble down the rabbit hole...

BigJH18

Postby BigJH18 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:25 pm

For anyone waiting for the AF JAG December Board Results, Their facebook recruiting page was just updated (1/2/14 at 12:30pm) to say:

"The December 2013 Direct Appointment Board selections have been made. Congratulations to those selected for Active Duty! Letters with selection results will be mailed shortly. Please watch for yours in the mail. If you were not selected, the letter will include instructions on how to reapply."

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Anyone selected? I unfortunately was not. On to AF Board #4.....

Gasduster

Postby Gasduster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Hello all - longtime lurker here. Just got accepted via phone call today at 2pm PST. This was my third AF JAG board, and I am excited to have finally been chosen. Good luck to all those who are still waiting!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Selected by AF, approx 3:30 pm MST.

Now just gotta get that waiver! SO EXITED!

I might be 1LT in a year or so!

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:Selected by AF, approx 3:30 pm MST.

The AF doesn't start you at Captain?

theinvisiblehand

Postby theinvisiblehand » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Congrats to you and everyone else selected!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Black Hat wrote:

6 months after you enter, same as Army if I understand correctly.

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:07 pm

congrats!!!!

brownshoe

Postby brownshoe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Black Hat wrote:

None of the services do; Navy takes about 9 months - year at O-2.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

Congratulations! I really hope you get that waiver :)

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Anybody on the east coast get a call today? I'm sure that many of the SJAs are on leave since it's a holiday week, but I still am concerned that this might signal I'm now 0/2. Congrats to those accepted. If you wouldn't mind PMing me some basic stats so I can get an idea of where I stand, I would appreciate it. Thanks

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 pm

Any idea how many JAGS the Navy is going to be dedicating towards cyber? It seems like all of the branches are reshuffling forces to get more forces trained in cyber security.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:20 pm

trayball23 wrote:Any idea how many JAGS the Navy is going to be dedicating towards cyber? It seems like all of the branches are reshuffling forces to get more forces trained in cyber security.

I haven't heard of any iniative to to get trained up in cyber security. It is a very small practice area for the Navy. The big push we have right now is all related to Special Victim's Counsel for sexual assault victims.

target

Postby target » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Congrats to those who were selected! Does anyone know if the AF publishes the list online somewhere?

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:35 pm

As far as I know the list is posted on FLITE. I believe all active duty JAGs have access to this, but not other AF personnel or the public.

howell

Postby howell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 pm

DannyBoy31 wrote:As far as I know the list is posted on FLITE. I believe all active duty JAGs have access to this, but not other AF personnel or the public.

This is my understanding too.

wilessiuc

Postby wilessiuc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello all. New to the board. I am a practicing attorney who is in the process of applying for the Direct Appointment Program for the Navy. The application deadline is February 14, so I'm busy trying to get it all together. Here is my story. I graduated from a tier 4 law school in 2006. I was in the top 5% of my class and was an executive editor on the law review. Since graduation I have been an Assistant District Attorney, have prosecuted some very serious cases, and am now a supervisor supervising 5 attorneys. I've long had a desire to serve, and I am hoping Navy, because I have some family roots there. Any suggestions for me in the interview? Anybody think I have a decent shot at getting acceptance the first time??

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:37 am

In respect to Air Force JAG, JAX does not contact your employers.

Your previous employers, however, can and do get interviewed if you are ever put in for an elevated security clearance (TS/SCI). I had a number of previous employers interviewed by OPM investigators when I was being investigated for my clearance. They went back several years to firms I had clerked at back in college.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:40 am

spleenworship wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

6 months after you enter, same as Army if I understand correctly.

That is correct. If you come in through Air Force Direct Appointment, you'll first be commissioned as a reserve 1st Lt, and then become active the date you leave for OTS. Six months from that first date of active service, you will pin on Captain. Sometimes folks have to wait beyond that six month mark, but that is the general rule.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:34 am

I think this has been asked theoretically before regarding the sequester, but for those selected for Army JAG, what are we supposed to do in between the time we graduate/pass the bar and the time JAOBC starts? It looks like it could be anywhere between five months and almost a year of wait time. Is any place going to hire for five months?

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:56 am

Can anyone who's been through COT advise whether "The Hawk" is required reading for COT? I see it listed as required reading for other officer schools (OTS/BOT). http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/ ... k_2013.pdf

Would it be beneficial to memorize everything prior to COT? I'm leaving in a week for 14-02 COT. Anyone else here doing the same?

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I think this has been asked theoretically before regarding the sequester, but for those selected for Army JAG, what are we supposed to do in between the time we graduate/pass the bar and the time JAOBC starts? It looks like it could be anywhere between five months and almost a year of wait time. Is any place going to hire for five months?

Find a job, travel, nothing…whatever you want. If you want to take a clerkship they look favorably on that, and will allow you to push back your start date to accommodate the job. Otherwise, you just have to figure out how to get by. I couldn't find a place that would hire for the time between the bar and the start of Active Duty, but then again I didn't really look that hard. I wanted to take these last five months of freedom to travel, visit with family, etc. I got some simple retail job and did volunteer work for a program here that assists veterans with legal troubles.

Return to “Legal Employment”