Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
erik_1717

New

Re: Military Law

Post by erik_1717 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm

andythefir wrote:I got the call about 2 hours ago for Army Jag reserve. I mainly applied as a Hail Mary, has this thread addressed some of the nuts and bolts? As in, when does training start and what the heck to do about the bar/other job knowing you've got a 3 month obligation hanging over your head for a non full-time commitment?

Hey congrats! I know you've been applying a lot since I've been viewing this thread. I'm especially happy to see your commitment to this paid off.

Ranger85

New

Post by Ranger85 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Talked to my FSO today about 4 hours ago and he didn't have any info.

sarahbobara

New

Post by sarahbobara » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 pm

He didn't have any info at all? Or about you personally? Or regarding when the list will be dropped? Can you clarify?

Ranger85

New

Post by Ranger85 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 pm

His exact words were "Sorry, No release yet" that was it.

Duke31

New

Post by Duke31 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:12 pm

The Army A.D. list is posted to facebook.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWYERED88

New

Post by LAWYERED88 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Didn't get selected for Army AD. I'm happy for all of you who did. Good luck!

Texas Attorney

New

Post by Texas Attorney » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Ah, well. Didn't make it. Congrats to those accepted!

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

0/2 Army
Congrats to those who made it!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Didn't make it this round. Congrats to everyone selected!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:17 pm

LAWYERED88 wrote:Didn't get selected for Army AD. I'm happy for all of you who did. Good luck!
Texas Attorney wrote:Ah, well. Didn't make it. Congrats to those accepted!
travellingboarder wrote:0/2 Army
Did you all also apply for the AF Dec. DAP Board?

Texas Attorney

New

Post by Texas Attorney » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:20 pm

maxpayne wrote:
LAWYERED88 wrote:Didn't get selected for Army AD. I'm happy for all of you who did. Good luck!
Texas Attorney wrote:Ah, well. Didn't make it. Congrats to those accepted!
travellingboarder wrote:0/2 Army
Did you all also apply for the AF Dec. DAP Board?
Yes. Automatically app'd as I didn't make the AF Oct board.

To those that have app'd more than once for Army, do we have to do another interview and resubmit/upload a whole new application?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Congrats to all those that made it, including one at my school!

I didn't make it, but I caught several pounds of fish in the Caribbean today, so I'm feeling ok.

Edit: I still have a Navy app, and AF app, and (after the bar) my NG apps to go. So it isn't the end of the world.

sarahbobara

New

Post by sarahbobara » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:08 pm

I didn't make the cut. I guess I'll be applying again next year.

Would anybody who was selected be willing to share their personal statement that they sent in along with their application? Send it in a PM, and redact any personal info...
I am sure that is not the ONLY reason I didn't get in, but I had no clue what they were looking for with the essay and I intend to write an excellent one for next year. I might even begin the process of writing it now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:43 am

FWIW, I counted 31 of last year's interns (and alternates) on the Army AD list this year. I also think there were fewer total interns than normal last summer thanks to the sequester, somewhere around 65? So for those debating on whether to do/apply to the internship, you DEFINITELY want to. Congrats to everyone selected!

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:28 am

It's great reading this thread during selections. Especially when talking to my FSO buddies.

Congrats to the Army AD selects!

Ranger85

New

Post by Ranger85 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Esquire wrote:It's great reading this thread during selections. Especially when talking to my FSO buddies.

Congrats to the Army AD selects!

What did the FSOs have to say about selections?

JDdrummer89

New

Post by JDdrummer89 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi all, I'm a 2L who's pretty new to this thread but it seems like a fantastic resource for JAG. I'm 0/1 Navy so far but plan to apply again. Congrats to everyone selected for all branches this round!

I have a question about grades: my 1L grades were all fine, but this semester I really bombed my evidence exam and came out with a C-. I managed to get an A in every other class (so I think my overall GPA will actually go up), but I am really worried that the C- will stick out as a black mark on my transcript. I have already contacted my professor and plan to talk with him about the exam and what I can do to improve. Any advice on how much one C- will hurt my JAG chances?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:08 am

To the poster above me: Navy, just like the others, is whole person. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Explain it briefly in the interview and move on.

To all else: anyone have a guess when we'll hear on AF December board?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 pm

JDdrummer89 wrote:Hi all, I'm a 2L who's pretty new to this thread but it seems like a fantastic resource for JAG. I'm 0/1 Navy so far but plan to apply again. Congrats to everyone selected for all branches this round!

I have a question about grades: my 1L grades were all fine, but this semester I really bombed my evidence exam and came out with a C-. I managed to get an A in every other class (so I think my overall GPA will actually go up), but I am really worried that the C- will stick out as a black mark on my transcript. I have already contacted my professor and plan to talk with him about the exam and what I can do to improve. Any advice on how much one C- will hurt my JAG chances?
The selection board will have access to your transcript - evidence is a pretty important subject in our line of work. However, I doubt it will have much, if any, real effect.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Does anyone know what happens if you had scoliosis but got surgery to correct it. Would you still be able to serve? I know that above 30 degrees you can't, but let's say your back is perfect now. Would you still be considered? I'm going to contact a recruiter, but it's a bit early for that, and I thought I might get some interesting info off this thread. Thanks

runnergirl1

New

Post by runnergirl1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:27 pm

I was selected for the Army AD alternate list. I reviewed posts from previous years but I was wondering if anyone could shed some further light into the possibility of being selected off this list, based on past years? I know it's specific to each board, but if anyone has info about numbers from the past few years I would appreciate it! Esquire, I saw no one was selected from your board, but there's not much more follow-up info on here from others (unless I missed it). I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic but my hopes are definitely still high. Thanks in advance!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doolie

New

Post by doolie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:23 am

In response to the post about the AF DAP December board...someone else asked on Facebook about the results and the AF just posted the below message in response. It's pretty vague (didn't even indicate when the board actually met) which typically suggests the results won't be out for a while. FYI--the AF boards typically meet the second week of the month in which they are held. The current TJAG is retiring on Feb 1 and will likely be taking some terminal leave in January. The new TJAG will probably approve the list. These two weeks of the year are also typically very slow as far as productivity because most of the offices go to minimum manning. Based on that, I would guess the results won't be released until after the holidays but it very well could be as late as February because of the TJAG change.

"U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting Results are released no later than 60 days after the board meets. Thank you for your inquiry."

doolie

New

Post by doolie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:25 pm

JAG Dog wrote:So, I have been lurking since early September as I went through the process, and I found out today that I was accepted into AF JAG. It seems like trends are always changing, so I wanted to start here and update my progress through the process. I will try to inform as to timing of each successive step.

I also want to say that I did not expect to be selected, and that there is cause to hope for those who don't really fit the profile. I went to a top 30-ish law school, where I was bottom 50%. I was not on a journal. I did not do moot court or mock trial. I got a B in evidence. My family has no military history, and aside from signing up for an informational interview my 2L year, I showed no outward interest in JAG. This was my first board.

I did concentrate on practice-based classes, like criminal defense clinic and trial practice. I have a demonstrated commitment to public service throughout law school and since graduating in May of this year. I read this entire thread. I interviewed at a smaller base because I was told that being #1 of 5 interviewed on a base is far better than being #3 of 20. I was meticulous about the application and spent a lot of time preparing for the interview.

Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread. There really is a wealth of knowledge here.
I'm curious who told JAG Dog that the interviewing SJA does a rack-n-stack. If that actually happens, it is a new development in the AF JAG application process. Interview packages are usually processed immediately after the interview takes place. A rack-n-stack would be impossible. Getting a strong recommendation from a Colonel or LtCol SJA at a big base is better than a recommendation from an SJA who is a Major or LtCol at a small base. LtCol SJAs at big bases are placed in those assignments because they are well-regarded and likely to make Colonel. Keep in mind that the SJA interview is only one part of the overall record. They are looking for well-rounded individuals who will fit in with the organizational culture. Even the photograph matters because they are looking to see if the candidate is physically fit. If a prospective candidate wants to put forth the best application he/she can, that individual should do some research on military culture and AF JAG culture in particular. In doing that research, he/she may realize being a JAG is his/her calling and be even more committed to the process or that he/she would be better off pursuing something else.

kellettp

New

Post by kellettp » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
kellettp wrote:Got first assignment orders for Barksdale. Anyone have any information they could let me in on for a new JA there? Also, any advice on where to live? Thanks.
Congrats - I think Barksdale is a great first assignment. You'll be with the Bomb Wing (B-52 BUFFs), falling under Global Strike Command. There is a lot of brass at the base as well (it is a bit like Scott AFB in terms of structure) where you will have the 3-Star NAF and the 4-Star Major Command all sharing the same space. I'm pretty sure there are some reserve units there as well with additional B-52 squadrons and an A-10 squadron. Quite a bit going on.

With the flying mission, there will be plenty of courts for you if that is your goal (and maybe even if it isn't).

I've never been stationed there, so I cannot comment on the living situation. You'll get set up with a sponsor in the legal office that can give you the boots on the ground perspective. I would also check out http://www.ahrn.com/ when you can. You may need a .mil email account but once you get your orders, they may let you sign up in advance.
As always, thanks for the insight and great info, Bateman!

allAF

New

Post by allAF » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:52 pm

doolie wrote: I'm curious who told JAG Dog that the interviewing SJA does a rack-n-stack. If that actually happens, it is a new development in the AF JAG application process. Interview packages are usually processed immediately after the interview takes place. A rack-n-stack would be impossible. Getting a strong recommendation from a Colonel or LtCol SJA at a big base is better than a recommendation from an SJA who is a Major or LtCol at a small base. LtCol SJAs at big bases are placed in those assignments because they are well-regarded and likely to make Colonel. Keep in mind that the SJA interview is only one part of the overall record. They are looking for well-rounded individuals who will fit in with the organizational culture. Even the photograph matters because they are looking to see if the candidate is physically fit. If a prospective candidate wants to put forth the best application he/she can, that individual should do some research on military culture and AF JAG culture in particular. In doing that research, he/she may realize being a JAG is his/her calling and be even more committed to the process or that he/she would be better off pursuing something else.
Doolie - we definitely rack and stack. I don't believe this is a "new development" as I am quite sure that happened to my application back when I applied as well. The SJA's job is to compare everyone that came through their office and identify their top candidates for each board. The SJA writes a summary for each candidate, ranks them in order of strongest to weakest, and includes all that in the big batch of packages that are sent up as a group to the board. At my first base (a big AF base in a big metro area), we had tons of great candidates come through, many of whom would no doubt have made fine JAGs. But, the nature of rack-and-stacking is that there can only be one #1.

You are absolutely right that well-respected SJAs and those at bigger bases with more applicants may get more than one applicant "in" at a given board, but that isn't necessarily due to reputation or rank. It is also a numbers game, and it can play either way in a given applicant's favor. Speaking generally, you either want to be #1 at a smaller base (with presumably fewer applicants), or #1-2 or 3 at a larger base (with presumably more applicants). In our case, being a big base with lots of applicants, usually our #s 2 and 3 also got picked up. That wasn't always the case, however. Sometimes people were #1 or #2 and didn't get picked up at all.

Insert here the important reminder that the physical fitness aspect of your application is EXTREMELY important. We had an amazing candidate who did not get picked up, despite being highly ranked by our awesome and very well-respected SJA. The feedback was that the AF was concerned about the potential fitness issue. So, be warned that the photograph documents potential fitness as well as your general professionalism. It isn't necessary to hire a professional photog, but obviously avoid piles of dirty laundry or beer bottles or other weird and inappropriate things. You don't have to be in perfect shape to apply, but you have to be working on it and getting close to where you need to be.

Also insert here the reminder that EVERYONE in the office can provide input on an applicant they meet...even someone who only saw you for a minute.

Finally, it is worth stressing that your interview can break/destroy an otherwise great package. It doesn't matter if you're great on paper. If you come across badly to your SJA, you are done. Believe me, we heard all kinds of stories about crazy things that otherwise amazingly-qualified people said or did. When you have a ton of great applicants with lots of different great aspects, that interview becomes EXTREMELY important. If you think you are just mediocre on paper but have great volunteer/public-interest activities, a great interview, and really impress the SJA and the office, that can push you up to the top.

While it is probably true that higher ranked SJA's get more for their recommendations than a more junior SJA, JagDog's strategy totally made sense based on our practices. The advice he apparently got (and followed) is exactly what I usually recommend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”